• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Fuck man that last stretch is SO fucking good and the last enemy encounter encapsulated what was sorely missing from this game for the first two thirds. Goddamn is such a shame that the first portion of the game is just alright cuz goddamn is the home stretch incredible.
Completely agree. As much as I hate to admit it I don't think 4A completely delivered on the open-world design of the game and in retrospect would almost definitely have preferred something closer in design to the first two games if that final area is anything to go by.
Those tribals in the
sewer
, can I kill them without karma lost? They do shoot on sight.
From what I have seen others say, if an enemy shoots at you first you're free to do whatever you'd like to them in return penalty-free.

Unless the last few guys surrender, in which case it's best to just knock them out at that point. But even killing them occasionally won't auto-trigger the bad ending. The game is very forgiving in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Did the game just change difficulty on me on it's own!?!?

I was playing Ranger HC, minimal. Suddenly I can see stuff like new note and how much resources I am picking up. Did it lower it!?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Completely agree. As much as I hate to admit it I don't think 4A completely delivered on the open-world design of the game and in retrospect would almost definitely have preferred something closer in design to the first two games if that final area is anything to go by.
Even the area before that which I guess is the last "open world" area was fantastic. It was just much more focused and 4A was able to deliver on their vision within these confines

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Finally finished ranger hardcore with the best possible ending.
Went out filters before the final area which made me think I had to start over.

Last edited:

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the game, the last map does live up to the hype and washed away everything about the bad Taiga experience I had.

Also am I the only one who just doesn't care about the Anna character?

I.. just don't care about her, I felt 100 times more invested in Miller and
Kiril, the kid who you meet
near the end of the game. I feel like apart from one or two moments where she shines, her character is just her saying, "I'm your wife, I love you and I love you because I'm your wife! Because you're my husband, whom I love so much! Look at how much we love each other!"

There were also some borderline creepy moments where the game does this thing where it tries to show you that your character loves Anna because she stares at you lovingly and it just comes off as that one cartoon joke where a kid grabs a tiny character and a toy doll and pushes their faces together and says, "kiss! Kiss!"

Like, if this were an RPG shooter series and I had spend time over the last two games getting to know Anna more and either having her become my friend or having her hate me or making the actual decision to go down a romantic direction with her, I would definitely be invested in her but as it stands, she's just like this sort of artificial wife that I'm supposed to care about.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just finished the game, the last map does live up to the hype and washed away everything about the bad Taiga experience I had.

Also am I the only one who just doesn't care about the Anna character?

I.. just don't care about her, I felt 100 times more invested in Miller and
Kiril, the kid who you meet
near the end of the game. I feel like apart from one or two moments where she shines, her character is just her saying, "I'm your wife, I love you and I love you because I'm your wife! Because you're my husband, whom I love so much! Look at how much we love each other!"

There were also some borderline creepy moments where the game does this thing where it tries to show you that your character loves Anna because she stares at you lovingly and it just comes off as that one cartoon joke where a kid grabs a tiny character and a toy doll and pushes their faces together and says, "kiss! Kiss!"

Like, if this were an RPG shooter series and I had spend time over the last two games getting to know Anna more and either having her become my friend or having her hate me or making the actual decision to go down a romantic direction with her, I would definitely be invested in her but as it stands, she's just like this sort of artificial wife that I'm supposed to care about.

I think the problem is less Anna and more Arytom being a mute. Proper dialogue between her and Arytom would have gone a long way to making the relationship feel more meaningful.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game last night with the best possible ending..I assume this is the end of the metro franchise? After spending the last couple of weeks playing through every game for the first time, I'm a little sad for it to all be over. Also sad about

Never seeing Khan or Pavel again :(. Though I know Khan shows up in the bad ending? Apprently he can communicate with the realm of the dead?

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
I had a question...what are the TV settings for a regular HDTV and a PS4 pro for Metro Exodus, i am getting washed out images frequently for the game? Cant seem to find the right balance...Am using a LG standard 1080p television.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
For any of you that played Ranger HC and got past Taiga stealthily, wtf at that
boat section

I get a boat and bring it around, stop at the building with the lever to raise the gate. Nobody near sees me. But every time some dude far opposite corner (not next to the building with lever) sees me. Lame ass AI! What can I do?

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
For any of you that played Ranger HC and got past Taiga stealthily, wtf at that
boat section

I get a boat and bring it around, stop at the building with the lever to raise the gate. Nobody near sees me. But every time some dude far opposite corner (not next to the building with lever) sees me. Lame ass AI! What can I do?
Throw a can to distract.
I threw a lot to make sure no one is close to the bridge.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does 2033 get better after the first hour? People in this thread raving about it but so far I'm not exactly loving it

Oct 26, 2017
got to act 3 in ranger hardcore. Damir left. The game bugged and wouldnt let me knock sleeping people out and every time i walked by they woke up and spotted me so i just shot a few people. punk.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still thinking regularly about the Metro Exodus experience. Excellent is the best word to describe it. While 2033 and LL are very good games they can't match the perfect symbiosis between exploration, gameplay, storytelling and pacing of Exodus.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
https://youtu.be/RftLT_siKVQ?t=257
There is a lot to describe, instead I recommend you follow this video. Not the most efficient way though.
Still remember, even if you do everything right, there is still a chance to be spotted. So prepare to reload a lot.

So that isn't working. My Ai NPCs are fucked up. Half of them aren't in positions like in that video. Example is when you get the boat the dude always faces the boat, waited 7 minutes. Then there is no NPC on bridge when I get to the building witht he lever. The dude on the outside doesn't patrol. Throw can, they same stuff, and yet they don't move/look away.

This is such bullshit lol

Spammed cans everywhere...worked finely...lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
So that isn't working. My Ai NPCs are fucked up. Half of them aren't in positions like in that video. Example is when you get the boat the dude always faces the boat, waited 7 minutes. Then there is no NPC on bridge when I get to the building witht he lever. The dude on the outside doesn't patrol. Throw can, they same stuff, and yet they don't move/look away.

This is such bullshit lol

Spammed cans everywhere...worked finely...lol

Yes, I encountered this on the run I succeeded, cans can reset their patrolling pattern...
Congrats.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Just wrapped up the game, very enjoyable for the most part.

Strongest sections for me were the open areas, with Volga the closest it got to resembling Stalker.

I didn't nearly enjoy the linear sections as much as I did in their past games, maybe due to the fact that the freedom of gameplay in the open areas made the linear areas feel way too restrictive.

4A did a wonderful job with the game, but there are many obvious future improvements. It feels like they have taken strides forward, but not the jump that some of us were hoping pre-release.

By the time the game rolls around to Steam, it should be quite the polished experience, and a real showcase for atmosphere and graphics tech until next gen arrives.

The mid 80's review scores sound about right to me.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It is okay if it isn't your cup of tea. I enjoyed all of them (Exodus enjoying it but not finished yet).

What don't you like about it? How is your playstyle? Also hope yea playing the redux version of 2033.
Yeah redux, just the shooting feels really bad, I don't know exactly how to describe it there's just no feedback. Maybe it's just that it's an old game I guess! Looks like it's a fairly short game so I'll keep going as I want to know the story better for exodus, which looks great

PIRL0

Oct 25, 2017
ive got a copy of metro 2033 redux free with my purchase of exodus for xbox one

first person to DM me will get the code.

please dm me if you are interested.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Finally beat it! Don't have 6 achievements (Have no clue what the +2 hidden ones are), dunno if I want to get them.

But that OST at the end was intense.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Just wrapped this up this afternoon. Can't say that I was the biggest fan overall, but it was still a decent game. My favorite sections were
the cannibals and the spider den
, which seemed to fall more in line with the more linear, older Metro games. I'm glad they experimented, but I feel like the dev's strengths are atmosphere and tension, which didn't really carry over all that well to the more open areas.

The biggest complaint was the technical issues. I adjusted to the controls and the audio issues over time, but the number of freezes I had is pretty inexcusable. I want to say the game froze for me at least a dozen times over the course of playing, and I think I might be low-balling that estimate. Add in the long load times when relaunching the game and it made for a pretty poor experience (playing on X1X). When it would freeze, it would make me just want to quit playing for a while, instead of sitting there and loading everything back. It's too bad, as I might have been a little more positive on the game overall if I didn't have so many issues. Kind of regret paying full price for it.

Finally beat it! Don't have 6 achievements (Have no clue what the +2 hidden ones are), dunno if I want to get them.

But that OST at the end was intense.

Yeah, I was really into the music at the end there! Was really well done.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Did those freeze issues improve after the hot fix on 4th March? I'm holding off starting it until stability is confirmed improved.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the first location is brilliant. And the raytracing is fantastic, it makes interiors with sunlight so much more real.

off

metroexodus_2019_03_0vhjn2.png

on

metroexodus_2019_03_0ejjn7.png

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How does the game compare with Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light? I found both games to be a blast but I'm worried this 'open world' trend is going to hurt the single player experience and level design.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
How does the game compare with Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light? I found both games to be a blast but I'm worried this 'open world' trend is going to hurt the single player experience and level design.

You should definitely check it out.

I've played all three and loved the open areas, though there are plenty of more linear areas too. For me it's easily the best Metro game.

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic experience. Loved it. The last section was creepy as fuck.
those blind gorilla dudes. Fuuuuckk. The gross ass worms.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Does nobody at 4A actually play their own game on ranger difficulty?

If you're going to turn quick saves off, PUT SOME FUCKING CHECKPOINTS IN YOUR GAME. It's common fucking sense.

But whatever let me trudge over to this spider infested ship for the 5th time because of your fucking atrocious design decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Does nobody at 4A actually play their own game on ranger difficulty?

If you're going to turn quick saves off, PUT SOME FUCKING CHECKPOINTS IN YOUR GAME. It's common fucking sense.

But whatever let me trudge over to this spider infested ship for the 5th time because of your fucking atrocious design decisions.

Are you using your light + lighter? You can stab them.

I thought you were going to talk about the boat and Taiga section. That is pure BS.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
finished it and thought it was brilliant, best metro game and one of the best shooters of the generation. I can't even think of something I didn't like about it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Are you using your light + lighter? You can stab them.

I thought you were going to talk about the boat and Taiga section. That is pure BS.
It was the place with the hermit. First time in I'd checked off about 5 map places with no save, went inside and died. Made a beeline there a few more times and kept dying. The issue is that there was about 3 or 4 scuttling around on the floor making them hard to flip over using the light since there's so many. Plus there's two on the ceiling using projectiles. Every time you die you have to drive over from the safe house.

I just don't get why there's not a checkpoint at the entrance.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
It was the place with the hermit. First time in I'd checked off about 5 map places with no save, went inside and died. Made a beeline there a few more times and kept dying. The issue is that there was about 3 or 4 scuttling around on the floor making them hard to flip over using the light since there's so many. Plus there's two on the ceiling using projectiles. Every time you die you have to drive over from the safe house.

I just don't get why there's not a checkpoint at the entrance.

You can just use the flame shot from the Tikar, you don't even need to flip them. Also I think the valve also one shots them.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
You can just use the flame shot from the Tikar, you don't even need to flip them. Also I think the valve also one shots them.
Didn't think of the flame rounds actually, I'll remember those for next time.

I'm now just amused having gone up the crane with the sniper that all the enemies who apparently can't hit shit normally are 1 shot sniping me with Kalashs from about 200 meters below :/

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Didn't think of the flame rounds actually, I'll remember those for next time.

I'm now just amused having gone up the crane with the sniper that all the enemies who apparently can't hit shit normally are 1 shot sniping me with Kalashs from about 200 meters below :/

There is a spot on the very top that I found they barely hit me. I had a hard time there but I had fun. Need to take out the two with lasers ASAP.

Now when you get to Taiga and what to do the achievement, tell me about that boat section. That is BS!

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Man, Adrian Chmielarz went hard on this game:
"It's a corridor shooter full of areas so tight that enemies constantly clip with the environment. It's an open world shooter that has more invisible or lazy barriers than Call of Duty. It's a looter shooter with highly limited choices. It's an action game with scripts so unreliable you're afraid to quick save. It's a stealth game in the first person perspective with no ability to peek, with no option to hide the bodies, and with inconsistent detection from the enemy. It's a game so linear it forces you move slowly just not to lose your companion, and so overwritten you could easily compress all the lines to 25% without losing any depth. It's an interactive narrative that… Well, I covered that one already."

But despite all of that, he still loved the game :
"It's a corridor shooter full of areas so tight anyone can finally understand claustrophobia. It's an open world shooter that lets the post-apocalyptic reality sink in in those quiet moments alone. It's a looter shooter that can change the feel of your weapon with a single upgrade. It's an action game with segments so tense you'll crush the gamepad in your hands. It's a stealth game that feels rewarding for a simple act of extinguishing a torch. It's a linear game because it literally is a journey, one with so many people talking at once that the world finally feels alive and true. It's an interactive narrative that lets you share a roll-up with your wife.

Add that Slavic melancholy ingrained into every pixel and word, add the fact the game gets better and better with each hour up to the point I was an emotional wreck at the end, and add these visuals
…"