• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Beat the game last week but forgot to post in here.
I think its easily my favourite Metro to date, the open ended areas combined with linear classic Metro segments was a stroke of genius.

Story (love the individual societies in each location), atmosphere, environments, the aurora and characters are all very well done as well. I really cared for every single person along with Artyom along the journey from Miller to Anna to Katya to Sam.

Also sure the game has some bad stealth, weird audio issues and semi janky controls but those didn't sour my experience and the hotfix last week fixed my issues mostly with controls.

The gameplay is also much improved from old Metro and the on-the-fly bag crafting was a great addition too and helped reward your exploration.
Its real tense when your low on ammo and your able to just craft a few more steel pellets quickly for your Tikhar and that carries you through a section by skin of your teeth.

Must say though I got the good ending and it seemed to end abruptly which was off putting but overall I'd give the game 8.5/10.
Its my early GoTY front runner in the end, well done 4A games!

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I found a way to run forever without Artyom getting tired

If you take out your map just before he runs out of breath, it resets the step counter and you can run again. Just keep repeating for infinite stamina

Ive been abusing this glitch so much in the desert level

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the third open world area and am almost at the end now. The boss at the end of that area was some bullshit, I had to look up what to do. You can't kill it in a normal way, you have to do a certain amount of damage AND be standing in the right place. That chapter was not my favorite. The last chapter seems pretty linear so far, but not too bad. Will see how this thing ends.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Regarding that boss, yes, weak stuff, but I don't think you have to do a certain amount of damage? I did almost no damage and still triggered the end of the fight.

I had an instance where he got stuck tho and I shot an andless amount of bolts in his nose for shits'n giggles.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm considering picking this back up. Have they made patches that affect the dead zone issues on console?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding that boss, yes, weak stuff, but I don't think you have to do a certain amount of damage? I did almost no damage and still triggered the end of the fight.

I had an instance where he got stuck tho and I shot an andless amount of bolts in his nose for shits'n giggles.

That fight in third area lasted only seconds lol...so dunno about damage.

Fire is always a good choice FYI..I used three.

It's weird. You have to be standing by the crank/cliff edge but not at the beginning of the battle/before you do some damage. I had initially assumed that I needed to bait him into charging off the cliff, which it turns out was half-right, but that didn't work, so I tried to kite him for a while before I realized he couldn't reach me if I stood behind the crank area, so after failing to kill him with all of my ammo, I had to look it up. After looking it up, I had success after hitting him with 3 molotovs and some exploding crossbow rounds to trigger the cutscene while I stood by the crank. It seems to be the sort of thing that's either no problem because you stood by the crank at the right time, or very frustrating because you stood by the crank before doing enough damage and thought that the solution didn't involve that area.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Very sorry for the double post, finished the game. Thoughts:

Positives:
+ Game looks great, even at 1440p with DLSS. I was able to run at ultra settings and high RTX on a 2080 without much problem.
+ Nice creepy atmosphere at times, particularly the final area.
+ I like the backpack and crafting system for the most part.
+ Colonel Miller is pretty good. I enjoyed traveling with him during missions.

Negatives:
- Characters and voice acting are normally a miss rather than a hit. Miller, Giul, and Olga are pretty good. Everyone else is pretty bland. I wish some characters like the Baron got more time to shine.
- Maps are deceptively linear, especially in the latter half of the game. It's rarely worthwhile to explore; I think I only got two or three upgrades that were worth it by exploring question marks on the map.
- Related to the last point, boat sections suck. You're never given the chance to really explore out on the water a lot; it's usually a rather obvious funnel to the next objective. Cars aren't much better.
- You're forced to play without really taking advantage of the gun mechanics for about half of the game if you want the good ending. Which turns half the game into either a mediocre stealth game or a ridiculous journey of face punching.
- I couldn't get the aiming and guns to feel as good as other shooters at any point, either in aiming (on mouse/keyboard) or in feedback. I started off with a peashooter that couldn't really kill anything, and eventually I got portable death machines that killed everything in one or two hits. There wasn't any smooth progression between the two, although I'm assuming difficulty helps with that. Maybe it was because I was punching things in the face for long stretches of the game because people told me not to kill things.

I enjoyed my time with it, though. Not one of my favorites, but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
It's weird. You have to be standing by the crank/cliff edge but not at the beginning of the battle/before you do some damage. I had initially assumed that I needed to bait him into charging off the cliff, which it turns out was half-right, but that didn't work, so I tried to kite him for a while before I realized he couldn't reach me if I stood behind the crank area, so after failing to kill him with all of my ammo, I had to look it up. After looking it up, I had success after hitting him with 3 molotovs and some exploding crossbow rounds to trigger the cutscene while I stood by the crank. It seems to be the sort of thing that's either no problem because you stood by the crank at the right time, or very frustrating because you stood by the crank before doing enough damage and thought that the solution didn't involve that area.

Dunno I didn't get there right off the bat, so maybe not rushing there is the key.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Now that I am at the very end I see all the complaints. Initially I didn't think the sound design was that bad or the story was that annoying, but by the end it def feels that way.

I strongly dislike 2 or 3 areas where you had to wear a gas mask most of the time and it goes on for a while. I never got any upgrade to store more mask filters if there was one so I found myself getting stuck in these areas. The problem is there are two saves - yours and the autosave. The autosave would usually be no more than a few minutes in the past while the save I made would be 10+ minutes back sometimes. There were never enough filters. I'd reach an area where he runs out and I struggled to find the filters in time. After a half a dozen tries with the autosave I'd revert back to the save I made, thus losing the autosave progress, and have to run full speed through levels again. That took away from the exploring aspect of it, which was the best part.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Fun game! Some thoughts;

- I'm not sure the open world added a huge amount. It didn't find it particularly worthwhile exploring, only the odd bit of gear and side areas where always small and finished quickly so didn't do much to flesh out the world. I was hoping for some more complex open world levels, a mix of overworld and below ground. It's really a much more linear experience than I was expecting, which is fine, Metro seems to work best as a basically linear game.

- Those areas where it goes classic Metro were great, some of the best in the series (spider bunker, Dead City etc)

- Voice acting was rubbish. Sound mixing was rubbish.

- Atmosphere and graphics were absolutely top notch, looked amazing on Pro. Ran pretty well too, preset 2 all sliders to max and it felt decently smooth to shoot.

I enjoyed it a lot overall. I got the bad ending I assume because I pretty much killed everyone. Got to say, I can't imagine ever getting the good ending, the game gives you all these tools to kill people and then expects you to avoid or punch them. I did lots of decent karma stuff, but I reckon killing pretty much everyone in Taiga did me in, ha.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I enjoyed it a lot overall. I got the bad ending I assume because I pretty much killed everyone. Got to say, I can't imagine ever getting the good ending, the game gives you all these tools to kill people and then expects you to avoid or punch them. I did lots of decent karma stuff, but I reckon killing pretty much everyone in Taiga did me in, ha.

that would do it considering you shouldn't kill any pioneers or pirates in Taiga.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Ok. Fuck this game.

I played it for about four hours tonight and got to the last part of the desert's story segment. I had to go into some tunnels, but the map didn't highlight that and I accidentally drove a little too far.

No problem. I'll just turn around. Right? Nope.

Spotlights targeted me and then mortars repeatedly fell from the sky. Every time I reloaded the checkpoint I could only run so far before getting killed with a single mortar.

I tried twenty times to survive but couldn't. My only option was to restart the chapter and redo two hours' worth of mindnumbingly boring semi open world shit in the game's dullest level.

Screw that. I'll return the piece of shit and call it a day. Saves me from having to spend hours playing it tomorrow

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Ok. Fuck this game.

I played it for about four hours tonight and got to the last part of the desert's story segment. I had to go into some tunnels, but the map didn't highlight that and I accidentally drove a little too far.

No problem. I'll just turn around. Right? Nope.

Spotlights targeted me and then mortars repeatedly fell from the sky. Every time I reloaded the checkpoint I could only run so far before getting killed with a single mortar.

I tried twenty times to survive but couldn't. My only option was to restart the chapter and redo two hours' worth of mindnumbingly boring semi open world shit in the game's dullest level.

Screw that. I'll return the piece of shit and call it a day. Saves me from having to spend hours playing it tomorrow

Desert is the best area of the game.

Also save often...

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did they update the DLSS at some point? I watched the DF coverage when it came out and it seemed like it wasn't the best. I'm playing it for myself now, and it actually looks pretty great! I actually didn't realize DLSS was on at first (although I should have realized sooner since my FPS was so high) :P

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
So did they update the DLSS at some point? I watched the DF coverage when it came out and it seemed like it wasn't the best. I'm playing it for myself now, and it actually looks pretty great! I actually didn't realize DLSS was on at first (although I should have realized sooner since my FPS was so high) :P
yeah they patched it with improvements from the AI training. DLSS looks great now, it was garbage at launch.

Oct 29, 2017
NL
Got myself an LG C8. So I booted up Metro, and yep after playing for half an houir or so it crashed again on my X. This has to be the worst release in a while that I can think of. Will it ever get fixed?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's shit

It autosaved for me right at that point, screwing me over. I never had the option to load a personal save. I tried.

Thanks for the assistance..

What assistance can anyone give?

And you ain't enjoying the game so does this really matter anyway?

The game is far from shit though. But as you're not enjoying it regardless of this save issue seems like it was for the best.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
What assistance can anyone give?

And you ain't enjoying the game so does this really matter anyway?

The game is far from shit though. But as you're not enjoying it regardless of this save issue seems like it was for the best.

Leaving it unfinished bugs me.

I didn't appreciate the flippancy of your comment, since there's nothing that I could've done to avoid that.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Got myself an LG C8. So I booted up Metro, and yep after playing for half an houir or so it crashed again on my X. This has to be the worst release in a while that I can think of. Will it ever get fixed?

Eventually, as much as I enjoyed Exodus I think I'm going to wait a few months before buying any of their games from now on.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This game needed to allow more saves than two. I had similar problems with losing progress because of the save system but never lost as much progress as you did.

I really enjoyed this game until about halfway through. Either I became more aware of the issues or the issues become more prevalent later in the game.

I didn't enjoy it a lot. I don't like how metro does open world or semi open world in Last Light or Exodus. The more contained levels were decent though.

It was due back at the library today, so I returned it and borrowed RE2. I've given up on metro. Maybe one day I'll return to it if it's free or really cheap, but I don't want to repeat the 2,5 hour slog I just did to get to the end of the desert level again.

God I'm glad I didn't buy it as intended

Are you fucking kidding me, the full patch for consoles still isn't out yet?

I only had to install a small patch thankfully

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bought the game thinking the patch was out, realised it was a physical patch you sew on your clothes or something...what the hell

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell is there still no patch on PC.

I'm still an invisible invincible ghost man.

Feb 21, 2019
Just stopping in again. I think this game is excellent. Playing on ps4 and have not had many issues.

I really dig the story and the characters. With the exception of some of the more fantastical elements, the storyline of people looking for home is a wonderfully muted and mature than the usual fare. It just all really works for me. And the atmosphere is...wow. some of that stuff is really really good and creepy.

Im not sure I can say the game is "underrated" because under the usual reviewer metric, it scored about right. But if what the game does do right is what you are into, then it really is quite the experience.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I completed the game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't encounter any bugs so that was good. I'm going to replay the chapters, find the collectibles and maybe try Ranger mode in the future. The last level was classic Metro and was amazing, those tunnels were something else.

shanafan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ypsilanti, MI
I have a question on achievements on PC.

For those that got the game on Steam when you could, do you have achievements for the game? Just curious for the sake of it.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to replay the game again, I really enjoyed my time with it.

I also really liked how the VA for Giul was the same va as the baby dark one, it almost immediately stood out to me lol.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Finally rented this game and my god am I glad I did...so disappointed in this.Everything on the boats is just awful,the map is awful,its just boring to me...the initial load on the 1X takes close 5 minutes lol,so bad...sometimes when you die,you have to restart 30 minutes behind,I dont always want to quicksave because I have no idea if I am doing the right thing,or going the right way,the system to pick up stuff is confusing,with the little arrows pointing up or down and B or A,oh X as well,why not...the only saving grace are the graphics,games looks incredible...oh well,never finished any of the Metro games and this wont change.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Finally rented this game and my god am I glad I did...so disappointed in this.Everything on the boats is just awful,the map is awful,its just boring to me...the initial load on the 1X takes close 5 minutes lol,so bad...sometimes when you die,you have to restart 30 minutes behind,I dont always want to quicksave because I have no idea if I am doing the right thing,or going the right way,the system to pick up stuff is confusing,with the little arrows pointing up or down and B or A,oh X as well,why not...the only saving grace are the graphics,games looks incredible...oh well,never finished any of the Metro games and this wont change.

I agree on the loading times. I don't agree with having to restart 30 minutes behind but maybe that's because I quicksave a lot. I think it creates a separate checkpoint save (Restart from checkpoint option if you die) and a quicksave save (quick reload option if you die), I'd use that to my advantage even if you don't want to. As far as I know the game doesn't put you back 30 minutes if you die and restart a checkpoint.

How is the pick up system confusing? It's just pressing square (or a similar button on Xbox)?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Ok I am done,was starting to enjoy it,found the guitar and Doll in TheVolga but inside the area to get the trailcart,I have no clue what to do,the ennemy seem unkillable and you cannot stealth kill most of the them,then theres instant death if you fall in the goo or whatever it,I actually died 2 times because I was running out of air or something,even with the gas mask on,it auto saved me in a place I can't pass so I quickloaded to see and I am 60 minutes behind...

Edit: well I kept playing and made it out of there and it was actually a pretty cool thing that happened...intrigued enough to keep going now,even with all my nitpicks lol.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Approaching 6 weeks with the game still in a ridiculously buggy and unpolished state, that's pushing it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic.

5 freezes in my last 4 hours of playtime and one progress breaking bug in the Caspian level that required me to throw away an hour and restart it, and now my game hard crashes at the finale of the level. Reloads, which take 5 minutes in itself, continue to freeze the second I finish holding the X button after it finished loading. I waited almost a month for a patch that never fucking came, and now I have to deal with this bullshit.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New patch out on PC.

Didn't fix my issue, but maybe it fixed yours.

Slochy

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed bug with brightness when using DLSS and HDR

F'ing finally.

We're very happy to announce the release of the 'Ranger Update' - our first major patch for Metro Exodus, for all platforms. This is a significant update that adds a host of new features, makes improvements across the board and addresses numerous bugs and issues.

We'd like to thank our players for your help in identifying these issues. Our goal has always been to ship the most polished product we can at launch, but we humbly acknowledge that some things can slip through even the most thorough QA. Thank you again for your patience and support.

The 'Ranger Update' is approximately 6 GB in size and is available to download now. Full patch notes are below

please note:

Level specific content fixes or changes can only be fully applied to a level when it is started from the beginning either through natural progression, or the chapters menu. If you try to load an existing save within a level, the updates for that level will not be applied to that existing save. Updates will apply to all subsequent levels progressed to with that save.

RANGER PATCH NOTES:

IMPROVED CONTROLLER RESPONSIVENESS
We've added a 4th Controller Sensitivity Preset – if you are mid-game you will need to manually select this from Options > Controller > Sensitivity to see if you prefer this adjustment.

This 4th preset has a new algorithm which treats its sub-settings different from other presets, in order to further address certain responsiveness complaints. It also contains improved aim assist and controller dead zones per platform.

PLATFORM SPECIFIC IMPROVEMENTS AND NEW FEATURES

PC SPECIFIC
  • Added DualShock and Steam Controller support
  • Added Aspect Ratio option to Video Settings Menu to fix issues with Monitors/TVs that falsely report supported Resolutions/Aspect Ratios to the game, and the picture was subsequently stretched. Like with some Ultra-Wide, or Square Monitor users.
  • Disabled Pause during Benchmark runs
  • Improved DLSS image quality further
  • Improved Stability with RTX enabled
  • Fixed Attributes for running the game in Safe Mode
  • This mode reduces all settings to ensure maximum compatibility in order to run the game in case a bad shutdown was detected. Like Windows Safe Mode, the purpose is to mitigate startup issues due to Hardware or Data issues and to allow the user to get to the Main Menu and start Troubleshooting.
  • Launches game with the following settings: Resolution 720p, Quality Level Low, Tessellation Off, RayTracing Off, DLSS Off, Shading Rate 1, DX11, Hairworks Off, Advanced PhysX Off
  • Fixed random crashes or infinite freezes leading to BSOD during initial Watchmen attack
  • Fixed random crash during the Introduction sequence with specific video settings
  • Fixed Input Lock if the Player uses Alt+Tab when shooting certain Weapons
  • Fixed Eye Adaptation issues with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Lighting in the Church in Volga with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Lighting in the Aurora interior on Caspian with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Lighting at the start of DeadCity with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Aim Zooming issues with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Shadows in the Slave Camp on Caspian with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed bug when half of the screen becomes black after changing Video Settings with DLSS enabled
  • Fixed bug with brightness when using DLSS and HDR
  • Fixed bug when DX11/12 is not applied properly when running the Benchmark
  • Fixed bug when Photo Mode and Pause were used at the same time
  • Fixed bug where Auto Detection of Video Settings didn't work on first launch with certain hardware
  • Fixed bug where the Flashlight is black in Caspian
  • Fixed several Characters' Hair flickering with DirectX 12 enabled in Summer
  • Fixed Main Menu and Diary in 21:9 Aspect Ratio and Ultra-Wide screens
  • Fixed Shadow flickering in Caspian at the Water Pump.
  • Fixed Shadow flickering on Yamantau in the Feast scene.
  • Fixed game hanging if Audio Device is disconnected
  • Fixed incorrect Prompt displaying and Dismantle not working in Workbench if Key Binding changed

GENERAL PERFORMANCE, BALANCE AND GAMEPLAY OPTIMISATIONS
  • General Performance improvements
  • General Karma system improvements
  • General Localization fixes and improvements
  • Added Automatic attachment (Highest Rank Magazine) for the Valve in Caspian and Taiga
  • Added additional limitations for Photo-mode in some cut scenes to prevent issues
  • Added additional Volume Slider specific to Voice Over Dialog in the Options Menu
  • Changed Cost for cleaning weapons in Reader difficulty to free
  • Disabled Melee Kill/Stun during combat in Hardcore difficulties

CRASH / BUG FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
  • General Stability improvements
  • Numerous crash dumps have been fixed on all platforms. Only listing a few here, thanks for helping!
  • Fixed possible crash when infiltrating the Base in Caspian, leading to corrupted save file
  • Fixed random crash upon loading a checkpoint after meeting certain conditions
  • Fixed random game crashing in the middle of free roaming the map near the end Caspian
  • Fixed random crash when picking up shotgun ammo in sunken village on Volga
  • Fixed random disappearing Ammo/Loot after loading checkpoint
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save initiating a write at inappropriate times, creating a blocker
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save feature availability at certain spots in Volga
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save issues after sequence with Lightning at night in Volga
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save issues if the Player falls to death at the end of Volga
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save issues with Artyom's outfit in Volga after loading Winter save
  • Fixed Input Lock if game is saved during a Melee Kill/Stun
  • Fixed Input Lock if Player uses empty canister near the generator at the power puzzle in Volga
  • Fixed Input Lock if Player opens the Backpack next to certain doors on Caspian
  • Fixed Input Lock if Player exits the Trolley when it attaches to something in Volga
  • Fixed Input Lock when swapping Helsing with Tikhar
  • Fixed Input Lock when Player tries to pick up an item shot with an Explosive Bolt at the same time
  • Fixed Input Lock when Player enters the Pause Menu right after QTE with a Female Aqua
  • Fixed Input Lock when Player is pushed into the Workbench by NPCs
  • Fixed Input Lock after loading last Checkpoint near the Train Depot in Volga
  • Fixed Input Lock after frequent drowning in water
  • Fixed Input Lock and Death Menu activation failure if Player dies right before throwing a Knife
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker in Caspian where user is able to climb up the cliffs to the Lighthouse
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker in Taiga where Player could get to Boss Arena without starting scene
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker in Dead City after drowning near the Pier with the second Boat
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker where Player might get stuck between Idiot and a door
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck on a Ladder
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck Crawling under walls
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck in the Church Dining Room in Volga
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck after leaving the Railcar near the Depot in Volga
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck in the Elevator in Volga
  • Fixed cases where the Player can drive through NPCs and then get stuck in Caspian
  • Fixed cases where Damir could get stuck in the Oasis in Caspian
  • Fixed cases where Miller could get stuck in the Pit in Dead City
  • Fixed bug with Color Contrast if you set HDR option in game to OFF under certain conditions
  • Fixed bug with white screen after starting cutscene on Taiga
  • Fixed bug with boundary collisions, so that Player can't leave playable area, in Volga and Dead City
  • Fixed bug with terrain collision when exiting the Car
  • Fixed bug with terrain collision when walking with Miller in the Collector
  • Fixed bug with NPCs entering cover incorrectly
  • Fixed bug with arrow at the start of Taiga
  • Fixed bug with parts of the Backpack twitching through the camera on the Workbench in the Aurora
  • Fixed bug when Player stands up in wrong direction after Demon drops Player
  • Fixed bug when Player can walk under water after exiting the Car while falling
  • Fixed bug when Player remained alive after dying in the water
  • Fixed bug when Player got teleported to the Car if he left the Car while hitting someone
  • Fixed bug when Krest appeared after the second Briefing in Volga with wrong VO and animations
  • Fixed bug when Nastya and Yermak didn't allow Player to pass after a Briefing
  • Fixed bug when Idiot was missing a line of Dialogue while coal stoking in Spring
  • Fixed bug when NPCs don't ring the bell after the discovery of a corpse
  • Fixed bug when NPCs were freezing and didn't shoot in combat
  • Fixed bug when NPCs in Volga couldn't hit the Player
  • Fixed bug when NPCs that are dead can stick to Player after QTE
  • Fixed bug when Flashlight couldn't be used or charged after certain actions
  • Fixed bug when Flashlight sometimes controls Car lights when you are not in Car
  • Fixed bug when killing a Demon on the ground throws him into the air
  • Fixed bug when Boat boarded by Aquas multiple times eventually becomes unresponsive
  • Fixed bug when Bridge guardians couldn't kill Player.
  • Fixed bug when Map markers remain on the screen when using Photo Mode with Map in hands
  • Fixed bug when Sniper in Port doesn't shoot at Player at close range, in Caspian
  • Fixed bug when reaching the Lighthouse from a specific direction breaks NPC detection, in Caspian
  • Fixed bug where NPCs were still spawning after surrendering in the Port in Volga
  • Fixed bug where NPCs are running in the air during combat
  • Fixed bug where Player gets too much fire damage near Train Rotator in Moscow
  • Fixed bug where Player could run through the room with hot steam without dying
  • Fixed bug where Player could break final scene in Volga using a Molotov
  • Fixed bug where Player could kill Watchmen at the same time as a QTE begins, creating issues
  • Fixed bug where Player could not break a Lamp with Melee Attack or the Knife
  • Fixed bug where Player couldn't be killed by Shrimp during Catfish presentation
  • Fixed bug where Player could jump off the Bridge not die
  • Fixed bug where Weapons appear overheated in certain scenes
  • Fixed bug where Weapon SFX can lag during combat
  • Fixed bug where Game Difficulty remains set as previously selected one
  • Fixed bug where textures loading in randomly during combat
  • Fixed bug where part of an NPC group surrendered but another part is in combat
  • Fixed UI text for Xbox Adaptive Controller
  • Fixed UI bug when fully broken Gas Mask is shown partly fixed in Workbench
  • Fixed SFX for small Spiders on Player hands
  • Fixed SFX lag during spin stop for Gatling
  • Fixed SFX for Stepan playing the Guitar in Spring
  • Fixed SFX of the Melee Kill/Stun of prone NPCs
  • Fixed Camera tilt when Player hit various objects with the Car
  • Fixed Camera сlipping through Players body when entering Car from the right door
  • Fixed NPCs running through walls near the Gas Station on Volga
  • Fixed NPCs failing to react to the Player in Moscow during stealth
  • Fixed NPCs playing wounded motions in the air
  • Fixed Animation for Humanimal ambush scenes
  • Fixed Animation of breaking Locks with a Revolver
  • Fixed disappearing geometry in Moscow Depot
  • Fixed disappearing geometry in some areas in Taiga
  • Fixed disappearing geometry after returning to the Cave under the Lighthouse in Caspian
  • Fixed dead NPCs tearing apart at Car Wash in Volga
  • Fixed dead Spider's reactions to light
  • Fixed Shadows for Trees in certain situations
  • Fixed Shadow flicker issues throughout
  • Fixed Millers beard in the Hospital scene of Moscow
  • Fixed Player Journal to display all Articles
  • Fixed combat music in first Station section in Dead City
  • Fixed Storm texture streaming at the beginning of Yamantau
  • Fixed incorrect Weapon hold in first scene in Caspian
  • Fixed visibility of Rail sections on terrain in Volga
  • Fixed Object without a texture at the very beginning of the game
  • Fixed Nastya's skirt in the start scene of Dead City
  • Fixed VFX for snow covering Monsters
  • Fixed random disappearing Bandit Car on Caspian
  • Fixed Skipping of Intro Video after launching it from Chapters Menu.
  • Fixed Helsing becoming invisible after picking up Railgun in Kirill's Vault
  • Fixed detached NPC weapon in the final scene of the game
  • Fixed broken Flashlight/NV if the Player opens the Map while driving Car
  • Fixed case of visual issues and frozen NPCs in the Cave on the way to the Lighthouse on Caspian
  • Fixed abrupt, incorrect Camera movement during cutscene in Dead City
  • Fixed various floating Objects and Characters throughout
  • Fixed Weapon aim (hold) interruption by Melee Attack
  • Fixed incorrect Loading Screen when starting from the Chapters Menu
  • Fixed random flying Map while using Backpack
  • Fixed timing issue when checking the Radio
  • Fixed various issues with the Car Steering Wheel becoming detached
  • Fixed incorrect Prompt in Workbench Menu
  • Improved Animations in scenes during Summer level
  • Improved Miller's snow walking VFX
  • Improved Lighting on Institute roof in Dead City
  • Improved Lighting during night storms in Caspian
  • Improved Spawning logic of Watchman groups
  • Improved Boat animations
  • Improved Player detection by NPCs in alert state
  • Improved Player feedback for cleaning Weapons and repairing Gas Mask
  • Improved Diary UI visual
  • Improved Bandit reactions in Caspian
  • Improved Demon behavior in Caspian
  • Improved NPC animations in transition to alert state
  • Improved abrupt changes of weather

FULL UKRAINIAN LOCALISATION ADDED
We're proud to offer full VO and Subtitles for Ukraine, the country where 4A Games was born!

And that's the lot! Thank you again or your ongoing support, the team at 4A Games will continue to work on future updates and we'll be able to share our DLC plans for Expansion Pass holders in the near future!

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Fixed bug with brightness when using DLSS and HDR

F'ing finally.

We're very happy to announce the release of the 'Ranger Update' - our first major patch for Metro Exodus, for all platforms. This is a significant update that adds a host of new features, makes improvements across the board and addresses numerous bugs and issues.

We'd like to thank our players for your help in identifying these issues. Our goal has always been to ship the most polished product we can at launch, but we humbly acknowledge that some things can slip through even the most thorough QA. Thank you again for your patience and support.

The 'Ranger Update' is approximately 6 GB in size and is available to download now. Full patch notes are below

please note:

Level specific content fixes or changes can only be fully applied to a level when it is started from the beginning either through natural progression, or the chapters menu. If you try to load an existing save within a level, the updates for that level will not be applied to that existing save. Updates will apply to all subsequent levels progressed to with that save.

RANGER PATCH NOTES:

IMPROVED CONTROLLER RESPONSIVENESS
We've added a 4th Controller Sensitivity Preset – if you are mid-game you will need to manually select this from Options > Controller > Sensitivity to see if you prefer this adjustment.

This 4th preset has a new algorithm which treats its sub-settings different from other presets, in order to further address certain responsiveness complaints. It also contains improved aim assist and controller dead zones per platform.

PLATFORM SPECIFIC IMPROVEMENTS AND NEW FEATURES

PC SPECIFIC
  • Added DualShock and Steam Controller support
  • Added Aspect Ratio option to Video Settings Menu to fix issues with Monitors/TVs that falsely report supported Resolutions/Aspect Ratios to the game, and the picture was subsequently stretched. Like with some Ultra-Wide, or Square Monitor users.
  • Disabled Pause during Benchmark runs
  • Improved DLSS image quality further
  • Improved Stability with RTX enabled
  • Fixed Attributes for running the game in Safe Mode
  • This mode reduces all settings to ensure maximum compatibility in order to run the game in case a bad shutdown was detected. Like Windows Safe Mode, the purpose is to mitigate startup issues due to Hardware or Data issues and to allow the user to get to the Main Menu and start Troubleshooting.
  • Launches game with the following settings: Resolution 720p, Quality Level Low, Tessellation Off, RayTracing Off, DLSS Off, Shading Rate 1, DX11, Hairworks Off, Advanced PhysX Off
  • Fixed random crashes or infinite freezes leading to BSOD during initial Watchmen attack
  • Fixed random crash during the Introduction sequence with specific video settings
  • Fixed Input Lock if the Player uses Alt+Tab when shooting certain Weapons
  • Fixed Eye Adaptation issues with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Lighting in the Church in Volga with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Lighting in the Aurora interior on Caspian with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Lighting at the start of DeadCity with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Aim Zooming issues with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed Shadows in the Slave Camp on Caspian with RTGI enabled
  • Fixed bug when half of the screen becomes black after changing Video Settings with DLSS enabled
  • Fixed bug with brightness when using DLSS and HDR
  • Fixed bug when DX11/12 is not applied properly when running the Benchmark
  • Fixed bug when Photo Mode and Pause were used at the same time
  • Fixed bug where Auto Detection of Video Settings didn't work on first launch with certain hardware
  • Fixed bug where the Flashlight is black in Caspian
  • Fixed several Characters' Hair flickering with DirectX 12 enabled in Summer
  • Fixed Main Menu and Diary in 21:9 Aspect Ratio and Ultra-Wide screens
  • Fixed Shadow flickering in Caspian at the Water Pump.
  • Fixed Shadow flickering on Yamantau in the Feast scene.
  • Fixed game hanging if Audio Device is disconnected
  • Fixed incorrect Prompt displaying and Dismantle not working in Workbench if Key Binding changed

GENERAL PERFORMANCE, BALANCE AND GAMEPLAY OPTIMISATIONS
  • General Performance improvements
  • General Karma system improvements
  • General Localization fixes and improvements
  • Added Automatic attachment (Highest Rank Magazine) for the Valve in Caspian and Taiga
  • Added additional limitations for Photo-mode in some cut scenes to prevent issues
  • Added additional Volume Slider specific to Voice Over Dialog in the Options Menu
  • Changed Cost for cleaning weapons in Reader difficulty to free
  • Disabled Melee Kill/Stun during combat in Hardcore difficulties

CRASH / BUG FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
  • General Stability improvements
  • Numerous crash dumps have been fixed on all platforms. Only listing a few here, thanks for helping!
  • Fixed possible crash when infiltrating the Base in Caspian, leading to corrupted save file
  • Fixed random crash upon loading a checkpoint after meeting certain conditions
  • Fixed random game crashing in the middle of free roaming the map near the end Caspian
  • Fixed random crash when picking up shotgun ammo in sunken village on Volga
  • Fixed random disappearing Ammo/Loot after loading checkpoint
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save initiating a write at inappropriate times, creating a blocker
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save feature availability at certain spots in Volga
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save issues after sequence with Lightning at night in Volga
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save issues if the Player falls to death at the end of Volga
  • Fixed Auto/Quick Save issues with Artyom's outfit in Volga after loading Winter save
  • Fixed Input Lock if game is saved during a Melee Kill/Stun
  • Fixed Input Lock if Player uses empty canister near the generator at the power puzzle in Volga
  • Fixed Input Lock if Player opens the Backpack next to certain doors on Caspian
  • Fixed Input Lock if Player exits the Trolley when it attaches to something in Volga
  • Fixed Input Lock when swapping Helsing with Tikhar
  • Fixed Input Lock when Player tries to pick up an item shot with an Explosive Bolt at the same time
  • Fixed Input Lock when Player enters the Pause Menu right after QTE with a Female Aqua
  • Fixed Input Lock when Player is pushed into the Workbench by NPCs
  • Fixed Input Lock after loading last Checkpoint near the Train Depot in Volga
  • Fixed Input Lock after frequent drowning in water
  • Fixed Input Lock and Death Menu activation failure if Player dies right before throwing a Knife
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker in Caspian where user is able to climb up the cliffs to the Lighthouse
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker in Taiga where Player could get to Boss Arena without starting scene
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker in Dead City after drowning near the Pier with the second Boat
  • Fixed Conditional Blocker where Player might get stuck between Idiot and a door
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck on a Ladder
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck Crawling under walls
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck in the Church Dining Room in Volga
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck after leaving the Railcar near the Depot in Volga
  • Fixed cases where the Player could get stuck in the Elevator in Volga
  • Fixed cases where the Player can drive through NPCs and then get stuck in Caspian
  • Fixed cases where Damir could get stuck in the Oasis in Caspian
  • Fixed cases where Miller could get stuck in the Pit in Dead City
  • Fixed bug with Color Contrast if you set HDR option in game to OFF under certain conditions
  • Fixed bug with white screen after starting cutscene on Taiga
  • Fixed bug with boundary collisions, so that Player can't leave playable area, in Volga and Dead City
  • Fixed bug with terrain collision when exiting the Car
  • Fixed bug with terrain collision when walking with Miller in the Collector
  • Fixed bug with NPCs entering cover incorrectly
  • Fixed bug with arrow at the start of Taiga
  • Fixed bug with parts of the Backpack twitching through the camera on the Workbench in the Aurora
  • Fixed bug when Player stands up in wrong direction after Demon drops Player
  • Fixed bug when Player can walk under water after exiting the Car while falling
  • Fixed bug when Player remained alive after dying in the water
  • Fixed bug when Player got teleported to the Car if he left the Car while hitting someone
  • Fixed bug when Krest appeared after the second Briefing in Volga with wrong VO and animations
  • Fixed bug when Nastya and Yermak didn't allow Player to pass after a Briefing
  • Fixed bug when Idiot was missing a line of Dialogue while coal stoking in Spring
  • Fixed bug when NPCs don't ring the bell after the discovery of a corpse
  • Fixed bug when NPCs were freezing and didn't shoot in combat
  • Fixed bug when NPCs in Volga couldn't hit the Player
  • Fixed bug when NPCs that are dead can stick to Player after QTE
  • Fixed bug when Flashlight couldn't be used or charged after certain actions
  • Fixed bug when Flashlight sometimes controls Car lights when you are not in Car
  • Fixed bug when killing a Demon on the ground throws him into the air
  • Fixed bug when Boat boarded by Aquas multiple times eventually becomes unresponsive
  • Fixed bug when Bridge guardians couldn't kill Player.
  • Fixed bug when Map markers remain on the screen when using Photo Mode with Map in hands
  • Fixed bug when Sniper in Port doesn't shoot at Player at close range, in Caspian
  • Fixed bug when reaching the Lighthouse from a specific direction breaks NPC detection, in Caspian
  • Fixed bug where NPCs were still spawning after surrendering in the Port in Volga
  • Fixed bug where NPCs are running in the air during combat
  • Fixed bug where Player gets too much fire damage near Train Rotator in Moscow
  • Fixed bug where Player could run through the room with hot steam without dying
  • Fixed bug where Player could break final scene in Volga using a Molotov
  • Fixed bug where Player could kill Watchmen at the same time as a QTE begins, creating issues
  • Fixed bug where Player could not break a Lamp with Melee Attack or the Knife
  • Fixed bug where Player couldn't be killed by Shrimp during Catfish presentation
  • Fixed bug where Player could jump off the Bridge not die
  • Fixed bug where Weapons appear overheated in certain scenes
  • Fixed bug where Weapon SFX can lag during combat
  • Fixed bug where Game Difficulty remains set as previously selected one
  • Fixed bug where textures loading in randomly during combat
  • Fixed bug where part of an NPC group surrendered but another part is in combat
  • Fixed UI text for Xbox Adaptive Controller
  • Fixed UI bug when fully broken Gas Mask is shown partly fixed in Workbench
  • Fixed SFX for small Spiders on Player hands
  • Fixed SFX lag during spin stop for Gatling
  • Fixed SFX for Stepan playing the Guitar in Spring
  • Fixed SFX of the Melee Kill/Stun of prone NPCs
  • Fixed Camera tilt when Player hit various objects with the Car
  • Fixed Camera сlipping through Players body when entering Car from the right door
  • Fixed NPCs running through walls near the Gas Station on Volga
  • Fixed NPCs failing to react to the Player in Moscow during stealth
  • Fixed NPCs playing wounded motions in the air
  • Fixed Animation for Humanimal ambush scenes
  • Fixed Animation of breaking Locks with a Revolver
  • Fixed disappearing geometry in Moscow Depot
  • Fixed disappearing geometry in some areas in Taiga
  • Fixed disappearing geometry after returning to the Cave under the Lighthouse in Caspian
  • Fixed dead NPCs tearing apart at Car Wash in Volga
  • Fixed dead Spider's reactions to light
  • Fixed Shadows for Trees in certain situations
  • Fixed Shadow flicker issues throughout
  • Fixed Millers beard in the Hospital scene of Moscow
  • Fixed Player Journal to display all Articles
  • Fixed combat music in first Station section in Dead City
  • Fixed Storm texture streaming at the beginning of Yamantau
  • Fixed incorrect Weapon hold in first scene in Caspian
  • Fixed visibility of Rail sections on terrain in Volga
  • Fixed Object without a texture at the very beginning of the game
  • Fixed Nastya's skirt in the start scene of Dead City
  • Fixed VFX for snow covering Monsters
  • Fixed random disappearing Bandit Car on Caspian
  • Fixed Skipping of Intro Video after launching it from Chapters Menu.
  • Fixed Helsing becoming invisible after picking up Railgun in Kirill's Vault
  • Fixed detached NPC weapon in the final scene of the game
  • Fixed broken Flashlight/NV if the Player opens the Map while driving Car
  • Fixed case of visual issues and frozen NPCs in the Cave on the way to the Lighthouse on Caspian
  • Fixed abrupt, incorrect Camera movement during cutscene in Dead City
  • Fixed various floating Objects and Characters throughout
  • Fixed Weapon aim (hold) interruption by Melee Attack
  • Fixed incorrect Loading Screen when starting from the Chapters Menu
  • Fixed random flying Map while using Backpack
  • Fixed timing issue when checking the Radio
  • Fixed various issues with the Car Steering Wheel becoming detached
  • Fixed incorrect Prompt in Workbench Menu
  • Improved Animations in scenes during Summer level
  • Improved Miller's snow walking VFX
  • Improved Lighting on Institute roof in Dead City
  • Improved Lighting during night storms in Caspian
  • Improved Spawning logic of Watchman groups
  • Improved Boat animations
  • Improved Player detection by NPCs in alert state
  • Improved Player feedback for cleaning Weapons and repairing Gas Mask
  • Improved Diary UI visual
  • Improved Bandit reactions in Caspian
  • Improved Demon behavior in Caspian
  • Improved NPC animations in transition to alert state
  • Improved abrupt changes of weather

FULL UKRAINIAN LOCALISATION ADDED
We're proud to offer full VO and Subtitles for Ukraine, the country where 4A Games was born!

And that's the lot! Thank you again or your ongoing support, the team at 4A Games will continue to work on future updates and we'll be able to share our DLC plans for Expansion Pass holders in the near future!

Nice, can't wait to finally replay through it now that the HDR dlss issue is fixed! Looks like they fixed a lot of issues!

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thank god, anyone confirm this is available on PS4 and has tried it?

Also these notes didn't seem to be in the above? Unless I missed them

NEW GAME + AND DEVELOPER COMMENTARY
New Game + adds a whole new dimension to repeat play-throughs of the campaign. Modify the following suite of modes and settings to craft your own personalised gameplay experience:
INVENTORY MODES
My Weapons
  • Allows you to start with all weapons and attachments found in the last playthrough
  • Weapons are granted after freeing Anna in Moscow
  • Starting weapons will be the last loadout that was set in the previous end game save
  • All other weapons and attachments previously unlocked will be available in the Aurora Workbench Armory, first encountered in Volga
  • Player Armor/Wrist upgrades do not carry over

One Weapon
  • Reduces weapon slots to one. Any weapon can be used in this slot, but you can only take one with you. Manage this by swapping Weapons in the field, or by using the Aurora Workbench Armory

Crossbow
  • Provides Player with the Crossbow at the beginning of the game in addition to normal Weapon Progression. Yermak gives the Player the Crossbow after Jammer scene in Moscow.

Backpack limitations
  • Crafting in the Backpack is disabled, you may only use a Workbench
  • Only Weapon modifications allowed in Backpack

AI MODES
Armored Enemies
  • Human NPC's are upgraded by one level of Armor across the game if applicable

Tougher Creatures
  • Creatures have thicker hide across the game

Grenadiers
  • Human NPC's use explosives more often

ENVIRONMENT MODES

Real Time Weather
  • Change the game's natural day/night cycle from 2 to 24 real hours for complete immersion

Bad Weather
  • Fog, Rain, Snow, and Sand storm conditions occur more frequently where applicable

Radiation is Forever
  • Additional radiation zones will appear across some levels, making the Gas Mask more important

GAME MODES
Iron Mode
  • Fully disables the Save System, progress is only saved between levels

Developer Commentary
  • Green Tape Players throughout the game will be available to play Developer Commentary about the area in which it is found

ADDITIONAL NEW GAME + CONTENT
Achievements / Trophies
Unique collectibles
  • Additional set of hidden objects in the world, only available in New Game +
New Game + becomes available from the New Game menu after completing the game once.
Please Note: Starting a new game in Regular Mode or in New Game + will clear your Quick/Auto/Chapter Select saves. You will need to progress again to access later levels.

Last edited: