• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord does the Steam version run way way better than the GamePass version. Already worth the money in that respect.
Interesting. My only issue with the gamepass version is the constant optimizing load screen when first starting the game, and gsync only working in my native resolution. Performance I'm guessing seems to be just about in line with what I expect out of my hardware (50 - 60+ fps at max settings 3440x1440, 1080 Ti, 3700x)

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. My only issue with the gamepass version is the constant optimizing load screen when first starting the game, and gsync only working in my native resolution. Performance I'm guessing seems to be just about in line with what I expect out of my hardware (50 - 60+ fps at max settings 3440x1440, 1080 Ti, 3700x)

I literally had to crash it first before re-opening it for it run at all. If I ran it in safe mode, I can skip the intro cutscene before the menu. If I don't go to Safe Mode, I have to sit through it entirely, each time, and the game runs like crap after that.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like everyone needs to know not to use DLSS in this game as it uses the first generation of the tech, which was so bad, Nvidia went back and completely changed how it works from the ground up. It's better to just run at 1440p and upscale.

For more info, Hardware Unboxed just did a great video looking at how the new version of DLSS works in Wolfenstein Youngblood, and found that the DLSS used in Metro Exodus is still the same as when it launched.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It sucks that the dev never bother to go back and update it, they added new rtx features to the first dlc so it seems like they still revising the engine. It dlss support is not great because you have to run the game in 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 in order for dlss to work at all. Also hdr is still broken or even more broken now with the new dlc. Something looks very off with the new dlc.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that the dev never bother to go back and update it, they added new rtx features to the first dlc so it seems like they still revising the engine. It dlss support is not great because you have to run the game in 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 in order for dlss to work at all. Also hdr is still broken or even more broken now with the new dlc. Something looks very off with the new dlc.

A chunk of the team was focused on porting Metro Redux to Switch, so I can understand them not necessarily having the time to devote to this, but now that that's done, I'd love if they addressed the remaining issues in lieu of having a lot of new players thanks to the Steam launch.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
A chunk of the team was focused on porting Metro Redux to Switch, so I can understand them not having the time to devote to this, but now that that's done, I'd love if they addressed the remaining issues in lieu of having a lot of new players thanks to the Steam launch.
Yeah, forgot to mention missing fov slider and ultra wide screen support.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Is there an official place where the devs can see and acknowledge the issues regarding HDR?

I also wonder this. My recommendation is that your write to them on twitter (as I have done myself). I simply cannot play the new DLC under these conditions given how broken HDR is right now. Before the latest patches it was one of the best looking HDR games and now it is just a grey washed out mess on my oled. I really hope the devs fix this.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to mention this for those of you wanting to turn on HDR despite its elevated black levels. If you have an Nvidia card, you can turn on GeForce Experience and add a Brightness and Contrast filter under the Game Filter tab on the in-game overlay. From there, just set Contrast to 30-ish, and everything else to 0, and it should correct the black level without touching anything else.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Good thing that I took a look at this thread as after finishing Last Light Redux last week on my Gsync monitor I started Exodus (Gamepass) on my LG OLED TV to enjoy some HDR goodness. Running on an Intel 7700K, 16 GB RAM and RTX 2080, 1440p, Ultra settings, Raytracing high with HDR enabled, DLSS off.
While the HDR looks very nice, I was starting to wonder whether my PC/TV settings regarding color space and black levels were wrong, even after disabling DLSS (still not fixed).
I have yet to find the perfect gamma setting. Either the picture is too bright and shadows disappear or it's too dark and I can't see shit in closed spaces. I can just barely make out the 3rd gamma symbol on the left, so it shouldn't be totally wrong, but still...

Last edited:

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Good thing that I took a look at this thread as after finishing Last Light Redux last week on my Gsync monitor I started Exodus (Gamepass) on my LG OLED TV to enjoy some HDR goodness. Running on an Intel 7700K, 16 GB RAM and RTX 2080, 1440p, Ultra settings, Raytracing high with HDR enabled, DLSS off.
While the HDR looks very nice, I was starting to wonder whether my PC/TV settings regarding color space and black levels were wrong, even after disabling DLSS (still not fixed).
I have yet to find the perfect gamma setting. Either the picture is too bright and shadows disappear or it's too dark and I can't see shit in closed spaces. I can just barely make out the 3rd gamma symbol on the left, so it shouldn't be totally wrong, but still...

Your gamma/black level problems has nothing to do with the settings on your TV but everything to do with the fact that they broke HDR in one of the latest patches (as reported by me and many others in this thread). Before the black level in HDR were perfect on my c9 oled and the game was one of the best looking HDR games out there, but now the game is a washed out grey looking mess where not even the darkest scenes are pure black. We simply have to wait for them to patch the game again.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Just wanted to mention this for those of you wanting to turn on HDR despite its elevated black levels. If you have an Nvidia card, you can turn on GeForce Experience and add a Brightness and Contrast filter under the Game Filter tab on the in-game overlay. From there, just set Contrast to 30-ish, and everything else to 0, and it should correct the black level without touching anything else.

Guess it's time to create an GeForce Experience account which I had avoided doing so far.

Your gamma/black level problems has nothing to do with the settings on your TV but everything to do with the fact that they broke HDR in one of the latest patches (as reported by me and many others in this thread). Before the black level in HDR were perfect on my c9 oled and the game was one of the best looking HDR games out there, but now the game is a washed out grey looking mess where not even the darkest scenes are pure black. We simply have to wait for them to patch the game again.
Yeah, I went back and read the last few pages. Though unless I'm just imagining things the HDR peak brightness effects look fine to me, e.g. the displays on your arm.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Glad I wasn't the only one with gamma issues with HDR on an lg oled. Guess I'll out it on hold until a patch that hopefully addresses the horrific performance compared to the base game too.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Glad I wasn't the only one with gamma issues with HDR on an lg oled. Guess I'll out it on hold until a patch that hopefully addresses the horrific performance compared to the base game too.

To increase the likelihood that we see a future patch fixing the gamma issues I recommend everybody to report their problems here: https://techsupport.metrothegame.com. I did it before posting here and it does not require a lot of time (max 1 min)

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I finally took the time to get this running, for the longest time it just wouldn't launch.
I figured "windows store sucks" and just moved on, but I really wanted to check it out again after having it NOT save my progress at launch and pissing me off.

Turns out, Sonic Studio 3 (audio software which came with my Asus motherboard) was to blame, so disabling that got it working.

Put it all on max (with RTX) on 4k and my 2080S is chugging along at 55-57FPS most of the time (though I haven't made it out into the more open areas yet).

Will definitely be playing it on PC instread of Xbox1X, even though I made some significat progress there already (why no cross-save?)

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah, I went back and read the last few pages. Though unless I'm just imagining things the HDR peak brightness effects look fine to me, e.g. the displays on your arm.

Yes peak brightness does not appear to be affected. The problem is on the other side on the spectrum where pure black is now grey instead of black which is extremely easy to see on an oled tv. This was not the case before the recent patch(es).

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how bad the game looks now with HDR on. And it also runs way fucking worse.

Mar 22, 2020
Just bought this game during the Steam Summer Sale.

Have the devs released a fix for HDR + DLSS yet? I'm really hoping to experience this game with all it has to offer, but I'm wondering if I should just to stick to SDR for the time being. I'm really hoping to max out the RTX features, so using DLSS is necessary to reduce impact to framerate.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Have the devs released a fix for HDR + DLSS yet? I'm really hoping to experience this game with all it has to offer, but I'm wondering if I should just to stick to SDR for the time being. I'm really hoping to max out the RTX features, so using DLSS is necessary to reduce impact to framerate.

I'm 99% sure it was fixed. I tried it a while back on my HDR display and both were working. Too bad it isn't DLSS 2.0 though. But definitely better than launch when it was blurry as hell.

Edit: Not sure about the gamma issue people above are mentioning though. I remember during launch HDR and DLSS wouldn't work together and now it seem fine.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

I think HDR+DLSS combo is broken again with the last expansion. As for DLSS, if you have a 2080 or higher. It's better to run the game in native 1620p with free style sharpening on and HDR also works the way it should be and the fame also looks a lot cleaner and clear.

Mar 22, 2020
I think HDR+DLSS combo is broken again with the last expansion. As for DLSS, if you have a 2080 or higher. It's better to run the game in native 1620p with free style sharpening on and HDR also works the way it should be and the fame also looks a lot cleaner and clear.
I have a 4K monitor so wouldn't a resolution of 2880x1620 produce some weird stretching?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I have a 4K monitor so wouldn't a resolution of 2880x1620 produce some weird stretching?
it's a 16:9 resolution, so if you turn on gpu scaling in your the nvidia control panel, it has enough pixels to minimized uneven pixel scaling artifacts plus the in game TAA is pretty good. The DLSS in this game is no good even after the patch from my experience.