• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you reach the forest area things will drop even further. Extreme settings+RTX High at 4K i can get a few times below 30fps in specific points of the area although overall still very playable at 4K 30 on a 2080ti.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's also my impression. The benchmark isn't a worst case scenario. It's more of a late game scenario.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reached the Caspian desert.
1440p/Extreme/Ultra RTX is not doable on a 2080Ti there. Runs around 50-63 FPS and can drop down to ~40fps in many scenes. Maybe the Benchmark is representative after all.
It is possible to keep 60+ in 1440p/ultra/high RTX?

I think I'm going to just shelve this game for a while.

Earlier in this thread I had my entire PC lock up. That was found to be an issue with using DX12. Switched to DX11 and it ran fine. But now? This.

A looping/repeating/persistent sound bug that started (and the irony isn't lost on me) after walking through some webs and having the spiders crawl on me.

This video was taken after I fully exited the game back to desktop, re-launched, and re-loaded back in.

That's fucked up.

As an added video for this: I loaded back in again. This time I noticed that when switching weapons there was something extra on the side of my screen.

There is something that has clipped inside my player model that will not go away at all. You can see it if you slow the playback down as I switch weapons. It's an audio bug from glitched physics like you'd see or hear in some games where ragdolls go wild when clipping through world geometry.

What the actual hell...

That's hilariously fucked up.

I hope 4A are reading this thread. In case you do, please fix the damn controller sensitivity too guys.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on gsync so I just keep on rolling with extreme/RTX high but I don't believe ultra/RTX high would do the trick either. More often, but not locked.
Sheesh. Is there anything in those locations that actually warrants the drop? Do they look so much better or something?
And what preset does RTX require? Does it work with High? I would be willing to drop to high to keep RTX and 60.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a 2080ti soon, hoping to keep 60locked at max settings (not max AA) 1440p

There are no AA settings, just the option to use DLSS which is terrible in this game.
On a 2080ti + max settings your range will be 45-80+ at 1440p. I'm 14h in and I'd say the game stays at or above 60 for 70% of the time.

Sheesh. Is there anything in those locations that actually warrants the drop? Do they look so much better or something?
And what preset does RTX require? Does it work with High? I would be willing to drop to high to keep RTX and 60.

I think it is. The amount of details, geometry , softly diffused light and volume metric fog the game is throwing at you is insane.
I'm terrible at making screens, but I sometimes just stop in awe to look at stuff. Something that has not happened to me in a long time.

metroexodus_2019_02_1fwjax.png

metroexodus_2019_02_11ij84.png

For the rest: I just checked and you can go down to medium + RTX.
Also as said: You'll be able to hit 60 fps for long periods even on maxed out settings. There are some very heavy locations though and the forest map is also supposed to be rather demanding.

Last edited:

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on gsync so I just keep on rolling with extreme/RTX high but I don't believe ultra/RTX high would do the trick either. More often, but not locked.

I dropped my settings to Ultra/1440p/RT High (with Hairworks and Advanced PhysX enabled) in the Forest area and was able to get 55fps-85fps. On Extreme settings, I was around 40-50fps in the Forest area (I'm using a GSync monitor but the game wasn't enjoyable, to be honest, at 40fps). All other areas (Desert and Snow areas) perform much better than the Forest. In other words, yes on Ultra you can get an almost locked 60fps experience and I highly recommend playing the game with these settings if you have an RTX2080Ti

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dropped my settings to Ultra/1440p/RT High (with Hairworks and Advanced PhysX enabled) in the Forest area and was able to get 55fps-85fps. On Extreme settings, I was around 40-50fps in the Forest area (I'm using a GSync monitor but the game wasn't enjoyable, to be honest, at 40fps). All other areas (Desert and Snow areas) perform much better than the Forest. In other words, yes on Ultra you can get an almost locked 60fps experience and I highly recommend playing the game with these settings if you have an RTX2080Ti

Thanks I'll keep that in mind once I advance.
Even 45 fps feel terrible on gsync in the game. It's like some sort of input lag starts creeping in below 55. I start feeling a significant delay in between pressing a mouse button and firing. It's strange.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The game does not open at all. A black window appears and then closes after about half a second. This is the Steam version.

I have tried Verifying the files, Uninstalling and reinstalling, Starting the game in "safe mode", and running the benchmark which does the same thing.

Here are my specs.

Ryzen 2700
16gb Ram
512gb SSD
RX 590 (with latest drivers)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game does not open at all. A black window appears and then closes after about half a second. This is the Steam version.

I have tried Verifying the files, Uninstalling and reinstalling, Starting the game in "safe mode", and running the benchmark which does the same thing.

Here are my specs.

Ryzen 2700
16gb Ram
512gb SSD

If you are running Riva Tuner, try turning it off completely.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, for those of you with 4k monitors, I would absolutely advise running this in 3200x1800p if you have freesync/gsync. Stays in the range perfectly of 40-60fps high preset and high raytracing. I can't really see an IQ hit from trying to run in 4k and gets you basically double the frames. Heavily OCd 2070 here.

Looks waaaaaay better than 1440p or DLSS and you still get that wow factor with good frames.

I'm only at the bridge/church village area though so sounds like I will have to go down to medium later on though. Honestly medium still looks awesome so I'm ok with that.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucked up.

That's hilariously fucked up.

I hope 4A are reading this thread. In case you do, please fix the damn controller sensitivity too guys.
Yeah...

I was having a good time too, but the idea of having ot make up for 4-5 hours of exploration, upgrades, and missions is super off putting.

I tagged them on Twitter with a link to the issue, so... who knows at this point.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here are my specs.

Ryzen 2700
16gb Ram
512gb SSD

Probably a stupid suggestion but have you force updated the newest windows update?

I was having the same problem. Game needs newest windows update to run properly. Before the update it wouldn't launch as you're describing or if it did it was super laggy.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here are my specs.

Ryzen 2700
16gb Ram
512gb SSD
I have Ryzen 2700X and some similar issues, also steam version. The game started, sometimes, froze or BSODed twice while in game, then I switched to DX11 and it ran without freezing, but now when I start it it just immediately freezes on the first logo video. When I deleted the video files, it freezes on the Metro logo screen before even the menu appears. I uninstalled it.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
The physx is like weapon damage to environments and such.
Who has time for thorough testing when you got to create conspiracy theory about 4A Games deliberately downgrading visuals to make Gameworks effects look better. I actually laughed on loud when the guy said he don't see any visual difference between tesselation ON and OFF, when he's own video was proving him wrong.

Hardware Unboxed is a garbage channel.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have Ryzen 2700X and some similar issues, also steam version. The game started, sometimes, froze or BSODed twice while in game, then I switched to DX11 and it ran without freezing, but now when I start it it just immediately freezes on the first logo video. When I deleted the video files, it freezes on the Metro logo screen before even the menu appears. I uninstalled it.

Hmm
2700x here and I got a similar problem with the benchmark.exe
But only if RTSS is running in the background.
Game runs fine though. Really wonder what's going on.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm
2700x here and I got a similar problem with the benchmark.exe
But only if RTSS is running in the background.
Game runs fine though. Really wonder what's going on.
I have both afterburner and rtss running, didn't try it without them...hmm. Once the new GPU arrives I will retry.
But it is weird because when I tried the benchmark, that actually ran well :D

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, is my brand new RTX 2080 dying??

I purchased my RTX 2080 Founders Edition from Best Buy 3 days ago after seeing the Digital Foundry video on ray tracing in Metro Exodus. The game looks incredible with everything turned up to max (no DLSS) @1440p. The frame rate isn't amazing, but I do have a G-Sync monitor and I'd rather have visual splendor than rock solid 60fps for this game.

Last night, I noticed some weird graphic glitches that I was able to reproduce in game tonight. I've only had this issue in one spot in game (the air traffic tower in Volga), and I'm able to reproduce it every time with ray tracing turned on. In the first video you'll see the shadow flickering. In the second, the graphics go crazy. In the third video, I turn off ray tracing (everything else set to max) and the issue goes away.

Video 1 (shadow flickering with ray tracing on)

Video 2 (graphical craziness with ray tracing on)

Video 3 (no issues with ray tracing turned off)

Is my card dying / going to die? Is it a driver / game issue? Is it just the part of the card that handles ray tracing that's bad? I'd rather know sooner rather than later so I don't get stuck with a faulty card. I haven't seen any problems with any other game (nor with BFV with ray tracing turned on).

My specs:

EVGA 850W PSU
Intel i7-6700k
RTX 2080 Founders Edition (not currently overclocked, I had it at +110 Core / +700 Mem for about 5-6 hours of play time)
64 gigs of ram (photo editor)
Samsung SSD (game is installed on this)

I might actually cry if I have a bad card.

Mar 29, 2018
Got two hard crashes in the opening ten minutes when you're pulled into a room with some fires in it during a cutscene.

Kindly, the game offers to start in safety mode if you crash, so I took it up on that for my third attempt and sure enough got an hour of play in before calling it a day.

Game still looks very good on safe mode.

Serious looker in general and plays beautifully

Gtx 1080
16 ram
I5 4690k

All at factory

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I purchased my RTX 2080 Founders Edition from Best Buy 3 days ago after seeing the Digital Foundry video on ray tracing in Metro Exodus. The game looks incredible with everything turned up to max (no DLSS) @1440p. The frame rate isn't amazing, but I do have a G-Sync monitor and I'd rather have visual splendor than rock solid 60fps for this game.

Last night, I noticed some weird graphic glitches that I was able to reproduce in game tonight. I've only had this issue in one spot in game (the air traffic tower in Volga), and I'm able to reproduce it every time with ray tracing turned on. In the first video you'll see the shadow flickering. In the second, the graphics go crazy. In the third video, I turn off ray tracing (everything else set to max) and the issue goes away.

Is my card dying / going to die? Is it a driver / game issue? Is it just the part of the card that handles ray tracing that's bad? I'd rather know sooner rather than later so I don't get stuck with a faulty card. I haven't seen any problems with any other game (nor with BFV with ray tracing turned on).

My specs:

EVGA 850W PSU
Intel i7-6700k
RTX 2080 Founders Edition (not currently overclocked, I had it at +110 Core / +700 Mem for about 5-6 hours of play time)

That 2nd video looks real damning. Looks like a defective card, and not even defective in the ways many 2080Ti's have died.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird though. I can reproduce the graphic abnormalities in that spot every time on the Volga map, but I haven't experienced any other graphics bugs before or after. I'm currently playing, so I'll update if I notice more. I do have 30 days to return to Best Buy, and I'm wondering if I should trade in for an EVGA if it is in fact a hardware issue.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
DLSS doesn't seem to be effecting performance for me in any way. It's weird

Last edited:

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
980Ti + 8700k. Everything maxed @4K (70% Shading rate) and capped at 30 fps. And it's not too bad. Playing with a controller + motion blur + stable fps and it's okay'ish. Nothing close to that 60 fps feel, but oh well, still pretty enjoyable.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

My specs:

EVGA 850W PSU
Intel i7-6700k

There is no reason to get worked up over it. Best Buy have awesome return policy. Just go back and get it replaced. you need to test other games, and then see if it still there. Also do a clean install of the drivers.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My specs:

EVGA 850W PSU
Intel i7-6700k

Turn off your memory OC, that's what that looks like to me, the second vid. A while back when I had a 1070 if memory OC was too aggressive the Witcher 3 would do that to me. Not all cards are just going to be cool with a 1400mhz memory OC (double data rate when you're a adding 700 in afterburner means 1400mhz actual additional clock). I would say most Rtx cards are cool with at least a 1000mhz overall memory boost, and some 2000mhz, my card seems to be ok with 16000mhz actual clock but it kind of worries me to run it that much over spec long term, so for benching I'll do +1000mhz in afterburner but general gaming I just roll with +500mhz (1000) to be safe.

You can test for memory OC being too agressive just running firestrike or timespy over and over. Start at 250mhz, then 500, then 600, and so on. If you crash or have a lower score with a higher memory OC, yeah, you're past what the memory should be doing.

Would I return a card over not being able to OC memory? Possibly. If it couldn't do 15000mhz actual I probably would as it's pretty much a gaurantee gddr6 cards coming out within a year will be running 15000 and even 16000mhz memory. Iirc the Samsung spec was originally supposed to be 16000mhz. So part of me is just like yeah crank it it seems fine at 16000mhz, but also there's a reason they reduced the spec (a lot of people are having a hard time ocing the gddr6 all that much).

Last edited:

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
I've only played 30 minutes of the game so far and it's already crashed to the desktop. I'm also getting a small bit of chopiness/crackling with audio occasionally.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There should maybe be a PSA in the OP /mod post sticky about needing to update windows to newest version. The game generally will not launch without that.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That might actually be a good idea for the forum in general. Option for OP to add a sticky that will show up at the top of every page.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turn off your memory OC, that's what that looks like to me, the second vid. A while back when I had a 1070 if memory OC was too aggressive the Witcher 3 would do that to me. Not all cards are just going to be cool with a 1400mhz memory OC (double data rate when you're a adding 700 in afterburner means 1400mhz actual additional clock). I would say most Rtx cards are cool with at least a 1000mhz overall memory boost, and some 2000mhz, my card seems to be ok with 16000mhz actual clock but it kind of worries me to run it that much over spec long term, so for benching I'll do +1000mhz in afterburner but general gaming I just roll with +500mhz (1000) to be safe.

You can test for memory OC being to agressive just running firestrike or timespy over and over. Start at 250mhz, then 500, then 600, and so on. If you crash or have a lower score with a higher memory OC, yeah, you're past what the memory should be doing.

I'm pretty sure I had my OC turned off for those videos, but after running around in game, doing other missions (holy shit it looks sooo good), I went back to that same spot. No OC, and the exact same thing in the exact same spot (all times in the morning). I'm feeling like it's some sort of bug with all the broken glass everywhere that is making ray tracing go nuts. I guess why I keep second guessing things is because I'd hate to return the card, get a new one, and see the same stuff in the same spot. Then I'd be left wondering if it's ANOTHER bad card, or just a driver bug.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I had my OC turned off for those videos, but after running around in game, doing other missions (holy shit it looks sooo good), I went back to that same spot. No OC, and the exact same thing in the exact same spot (all times in the morning). I'm feeling like it's some sort of bug with all the broken glass everywhere that is making ray tracing go nuts. I guess why I keep second guessing things is because I'd hate to return the card, get a new one, and see the same stuff in the same spot. Then I'd be left wondering if it's ANOTHER bad card, or just a driver bug.

If it's in one spot yeah more likely it's s game problem than your card.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, I was running towards the last spot in the level at night, looking at the moon and it started again. Going to return it! Thanks for everyone's help.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Is the shading rate internal resolution scaling? And if so, is it only available in DX12 or something? I cant raise it above x1.0.
Unless I'm mistaken shading rate is just your controller for shader quality. Like 0.5% will have the shaders run at 50% quality. DoF will be half res etc. The geometry i.e. the thing that we usually count when talking about resolution....is native regardless. I don't know if it's variable rate shading though i.e. reduce the quality in areas you are less likely to notice like edges etc and keep native quality for more obvious location.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was just a patch on Steam (1.8GB).
Am I crazy or does DLSS look sharper now?

Native 1440p
metroexodus_2019_02_25dkqv.png

1440p DLSS
metroexodus_2019_02_2x0j6y.png

Two more examples

1440p
1440p DLSS

Is it just a sharpening Filter?

Edit
Dictator maybe something for you to look into.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was just a patch on Steam (1.8GB).
Am I crazy or does DLSS look sharper now?

Native 1440p
metroexodus_2019_02_25dkqv.png

1440p DLSS
metroexodus_2019_02_2x0j6y.png

Two more examples

1440p
1440p DLSS

Is it just a sharpening Filter?

Edit
Dictator maybe something for you to look into.
Looks like they just turned on sharpening filter for DLSS. I see sharpening artifacts everywhere (gives me Xenoblade 2 Switch vibes). I also see way more aliased stairstepping artifacts with DLSS. Native image still looks miles better, clean and pristine. Doesn't have unwanted sharpening artifacts. Just play in native res for best image quality.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhh. I was just about to head to Best Buy to return the card when I got a reply on the Nvidia forums. The poster said it's not the card, he gets the exact same thing in the exact same spot. I have 30 days to return so I'm going to wait and see as I don't have issues anywhere but this general area.

I'm really excited to see what the new patch does! DLSS looks like I'm smearing a thin layer of Vaseline on my screen, so anything better will be great. I'm getting 40-60 FPS with everything at max (physx, and hairworks on) @1440p. I get closer to 60 baseline with DLSS on, or RT off (which I won't do as I bought the card FOR RT).

The last time I was this amazed by a game graphically was Crysis!

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017

My specs:

EVGA 850W PSU
Intel i7-6700k

Nope, your RTX2080Ti is not dying. I got the same graphical glitches in the desert area for no apparent reason on my RTX2080Ti. The game ran fine without any graphical glitches in the later areas (as well as in the previous areas).

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, your RTX2080Ti is not dying. I got the same graphical glitches in the desert area for no apparent reason on my RTX2080Ti. The game ran fine without any graphical glitches in the later areas (as well as in the previous areas).

This is so amazing to hear! Thanks for letting me know. I just want to play the game :)