• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well that usually ends up getting removed anyway.

Or you could just like play the game anyway with it on, but you do you.

They've had 1 year + to remove it and now that the final DLC is out even more reason to do so. Game was cracked 1 month after it came out last year.

But this is era, where other people can't respect other's purchase decision in regards to a dog shit DRM that serves no puprose.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
From external googling one can learn that the Gold Edition includes the expansion pass, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the description on this page that indicates that. I know that to some extent this is on the publisher to provide that info in their description (which I've found to be hit-or-miss), but it's frustrating since I see this a lot, and Steam already has all that info in their database that they could expose in the same way they do so with bundles.

It's not that Steam can't display this automatically, but it's option that has to be enabled for old packages.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
They've had 1 year + to remove it and now that the final DLC is out even more reason to do so. Game was cracked 1 month after it came out last year.

But this is era, where other people can't respect other's purchase decision in regards to a dog shit DRM that serves no puprose.
tenor.gif

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Get it on Game Pass for $5 if you really want to play Metro Exodus.
Don't reward them for these exclusivity deals by giving them money as soon as it returns to Steam.

Surprised so many waited for Steam release. Made 2nd, 3rd and 5th global top seller (standard, gold, franchise editions).
And you could play it for much cheaper before if wanted.
Without buying out-of-region using a VPN on the Epic store, this is the cheapest the game has been for me. The price went up $20 the moment they announced their exclusivity deal.

Just a side note, Steam REALLY needs to do a better job of surfacing what the difference between different editions of games are on the storefront.

c58c183141.png

From external googling one can learn that the Gold Edition includes the expansion pass, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the description on this page that indicates that. I know that to some extent this is on the publisher to provide that info in their description (which I've found to be hit-or-miss), but it's frustrating since I see this a lot, and Steam already has all that info in their database that they could expose in the same way they do so with bundles.
It's entirely on the publisher/developer. It's not Steam's fault if they aren't using packages/bundles correctly.

steam-collections-k3k27.png

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely buying since the GamePass version is fucking awful. Curious, would I be able to use my saves from GamePass for the Steam version?

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I tried playing it on GamePass months ago and couldnt get pass the main menu. Every time I clicked new game nothing would happen.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Definitely a game I'll be waiting till the whole package is $5 on a sale for. They've just about done everything wrong they can with releasing this game.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Get it on Game Pass for $5 if you really want to play Metro Exodus.
Don't reward them for these exclusivity deals by giving them money as soon as it returns to Steam.

Without buying out-of-region using a VPN on the Epic store, this is the cheapest the game has been for me. The price went up $20 the moment they announced their exclusivity deal.

It's entirely on the publisher/developer. It's not Steam's fault if they aren't using packages/bundles correctly.

steam-collections-k3k27.png

Nevertheless, it's in Valve's interest to make sure that their store listings are accurate and not misleading, and there's more they COULD do to ensure that publishers surface that information. If they're going to allow multiple purchase options that don't utilize the detailed package or bundle functionality they could at least require the publishers to disclaim what is in them. Steam KNOWS what's in that package, so it's not really even clear to me why they don't display it in all cases. Looking at the SteamDB for these two examples, it's really not even clear to me why your example lists everything explicitly while mine doesn't. Maybe there's a legitimate reason for a publisher to be able to hide that detail from a package, but it seems like it should not be the default...

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That's a good discount on The Two Colonels. Bought.

I'll pick up the last DLC once it's like half off.

(I was one of those who pre-ordered right before it got pulled off Steam. In CAD, the pre-order was cheaper than EGS' discounted price, so it was a no-brainer).

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably hold off on getting the Expansion Pass until reviews for Sam's Story hit (never mind, it's already out), but that's a pretty good price for the main game even given that it's been out for a year. Exodus has its downsides and I think the first third of the game is the worst part, but I think it's a very good entry in the franchise in the end.

(I was one of those who pre-ordered right before it got pulled off Steam. In CAD, the pre-order was cheaper than EGS' discounted price, so it was a no-brainer).

Heh, same.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Nevertheless, it's in Valve's interest to make sure that their store listings are accurate and not misleading, and there's more they COULD do to ensure that publishers surface that information. If they're going to allow multiple purchase options that don't utilize the detailed package or bundle functionality they could at least require the publishers to disclaim what is in them. Steam KNOWS what's in that package, so it's not really even clear to me why they don't display it in all cases. Looking at the SteamDB for these two examples, it's really not even clear to me why your example lists everything explicitly while mine doesn't. Maybe there's a legitimate reason for a publisher to be able to hide that detail from a package, but it seems like it should not be the default...
I'm not sure what you mean; Steam can't magically tell what's within a subID. It might be an activation code for a helmet or a completely separate game for all they know, since they can be treated the same way in their backend.

It's primarily in the publisher's interest to convey this information since they're the ones with the information in the first place.

I'd love for Valve to pressure publishers when it comes to these things, but I don't think they can do much in this specific scenario.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass version could not enable RTX without crashing, though (at least when I tried it, it was impossible to get it to work in DX12). Hardcore PC enthusiast with an aversion to EGS will probably get it in Steam.

There's also likely a lot of people around the world who are buying it on Steam since Valve supports far more payment methods than Epic does.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean; Steam can't magically tell what's within a subID. It might be an activation code for a helmet or a completely separate game for all they know, since they can be treated the same way in their backend.

It's primarily in the publisher's interest to convey this information since they're the ones with the information in the first place.

I'd love for Valve to pressure publishers when it comes to these things, but I don't think they can do much in this specific scenario.

Look at my SteamDB link though. At minimum there needs to be a name associated with an AppID; in this case, the "Metro Exodus - Gold Edition" has 4 apps associated with it. There's a clear taxonomy there. Yes, a publisher might have 20 AppIDs associated with a package with generic names, but I don't see any reason why the storefront page shouldn't at least surface those to the customer. In cases like this, everything has a perfectly reasonable name associated with it, but for whatever reason they're not displayed on the package info (as opposed to your Dishonored example where they are). The information IS there in the database, it's just a matter of exposing it to the users, and I just don't see why Valve would allow that to be optional.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Steal price for one of the best FPS games in this generation.

Any FPS fan, buy and support this game... the team is very talented and you will enjoy their games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This highlights how important regional pricing is, for me.

Even with this discount, for a dollar more, I could buy the Gold Edition on EGS if I was interested in the game.

Dec 14, 2019
Just hours after the release the game peaked at almost 12.000 players. That's close to RDR2 launch numbers after the first day. After one year of EGS exclusivity and being free on Gamepass.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Look at my SteamDB link though. At minimum there needs to be a name associated with an AppID; in this case, the "Metro Exodus - Gold Edition" has 4 packages associated with it. There's a clear taxonomy there. Yes, a publisher might have 20 AppIDs associated with a package with generic names, but I don't see any reason why the storefront page shouldn't at least surface those to the customer. In cases like this, everything has a perfectly reasonable name associated with it, but for whatever reason they're not displayed on the package info (as opposed to your Dishonored example where they are). The information IS there in the database, it's just a matter of exposing it to the users, and I just don't see why Valve would allow that to be optional.
I get what you're saying, but I'm not convinced it's for the better across the board. Steam, as any store, wants to convey as concise and relevant information as possible; by showing a list of 20 random package names (such as Uplay activations, Deluxe activations, Map Editors, HD textures or other irrelevant packages) you're just as likely to confuse your customers more than anything else. It's just for the sake of convenience.

At the end of the day, I think it's great to have SteamDB as an available resource under these circumstances, but if these publishers can setup appropriate titles for their packages within Steam's back-end, I think we can and should expect them to convey what their package contains on the store page.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not bad but I'll wait for a deeper sale.
I got to the forest area with Game Pass and the framerate started to tank, so I stopped playing.
I'll continue when I have a beefy RTX card with RTX on.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018

This is a really bad argument to be honest. Piracy forums are usually filled with people complaining about the lack of updates and or new content/DLC's. Just because the game was cracked around release doesn't mean there's no value in keeping the protection in there if that still means updates/dlc/expansions aren't getting cracked or at least much later.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Just hours after the release the game peaked at almost 12.000 players. That's close to RDR2 launch numbers after the first day. After one year of EGS exclusivity and being free on Gamepass.

And 2nd on Steam top sellers at the moment, not that I have any idea on what the time frame for that list is. Wolcen is at the top for revenue, costs ~50% more, and has at least 100k sales since release 2 days ago.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Already played it on Game Pass. Maybe I will buy it on Steam with the DLC like next Winter Sale if the price is right.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This is pretty garbage

I bought the game on Steam before the Epic deal, so I got screwed and had to pay full price?

Not cool 4A

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The base price is nice too.

Many people were waiting for Steam version it seems, already has 6k reviews.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty garbage

I bought the game on Steam before the Epic deal, so I got screwed and had to pay full price?

Not cool 4A

this is some bizarre fucking logic right here. The game was full price because it was just coming out. It was full prince on EGS as well for months. It's a year old game now.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Definitely buying since the GamePass version is fucking awful. Curious, would I be able to use my saves from GamePass for the Steam version?

No. Games on Gamepass is still UWP. Even if you could use your save file you won't even be able to locate your folder.

That's not necessarily true. UWP games, even ones with Play Anywhere save transfer, still store their save files in user accessible directories. The naming scheme is somewhat obfuscated, and you may need to poke around for it, but it should be somewhere in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\". I haven't installed Metro Exodus on GamePass, but I was able to recently convert my save for Children of Morta from there over to the Steam version.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Those that played this; is it proper open like a stalker game or is it more inline with earlier Metro's? I really tried enjoying those games but they were way too linear and closed off for my taste.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, still not good enough for me. Waiting the GOG release. Without Denuvo. Fuck DRM.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Those that played this; is it proper open like a stalker game or is it more inline with earlier Metro's? I really tried enjoying those games but they were way too linear and closed off for my taste.
Kind of in between, but leaning more towards Metro than open ended-ness of Stalker.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
this is some bizarre fucking logic right here. The game was full price because it was just coming out. It was full prince on EGS as well for months. It's a year old game now.

It almost reads like they thought hey couldn't play their Steam copy for the past year because it was removed or something.

And this shit drives me crazy:

tvI457B.jpg

Last edited:

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
I personally loved Metro Exodus. I don't know if it entirely nails the "open-world" design personally, as the game still ultimately wants you to follow a set path and later portions of the game involve linear levels, but it was beautifully atmospheric and brutally challenging. Some time down the road I'll spring for the DLC and New Game+ it on a harder difficulty. My only really big issue with it was:

The last mutant bear battle was absolutely awful and one of the worst boss battles I've ever played. Everything about it is an exercise in tedium. Other than that though, the game is amazing.