• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
yes they will reward the behavior they object to by giving them money

That's the catch-22 of this situation though. If people just boycott this on Steam, the takeaway for the publisher will just be "we don't need to bother launching on Steam at all and just take Epic's money", since launching on Steam isn't advantageous.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's the catch-22 of this situation though. If people just boycott this on Steam, the takeaway for the publisher will just be "we don't need to bother launching on Steam at all and just take Epic's money", since launching on Steam isn't advantageous.

Nah, they surely have a projection of how many copies this would had sold and how many will sell, if they are not met they know they fucked up.

I personaly will never buy a Epic Exclusive game when they hit Steam (My heart aches for Shenmue 3), but I understand if people do tho.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I'll give it a rental on ps4 if I want to check it out that bad. Not getting my money after pulling it off steam. Sorry kids.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
You could only have that takeaway if the game had simultaniously launched on Steam and Epic's store, and then didn't still didn't sell well on Steam.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I don't do boycotts, but I won't buy it either if it's over $20 one year after release with additional DLC to buy. But to be honest, I've pretty much lost interest in it. So if it's more expensive than that I'll just wait for a humble bundle or a bargain bin price. If I waited a year, I can wait more.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
If you want the game and dislike EGS shenanigans, buying it on Steam is the right play to make. Your purchasing habits aren't going to change whether or not Epic slings around giant sacks of cash or whether or not devs take those payouts. However, Epic's long-term hope is that devs will prioritize the EGS over Steam, and if you don't want that, then supporting the game on Steam after exclusivity ends is correct. It shows that the audience is on Steam, and that, in lieu of a moneyhat, the devs should prioritize a Steam release over chasing better margins on EGS.

Of course, that's easier said than done. 12 months of exclusivity is plenty of time to lose interest in a game. I loved the first two Metros and would probably have bought this day 1, but the exclusivity gave me time to hear a bunch of comparisons between this and Far Cry, which utterly killed my interest. Same thing happened with Ashen, where middling responses killed my hype long before it actually launched.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Curious how much it will be discounted by considering it is a year old at this point and has been discounted everywhere else by now.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
If you want the game and dislike EGS shenanigans, buying it on Steam is the right play to make. Your purchasing habits aren't going to change whether or not Epic slings around giant sacks of cash or whether or not devs take those payouts. However, Epic's long-term hope is that devs will prioritize the EGS over Steam, and if you don't want that, then supporting the game on Steam after exclusivity ends is correct. It shows that the audience is on Steam, and that, in lieu of a moneyhat, the devs should prioritize a Steam release over chasing better margins on EGS.

Of course, that's easier said than done. 12 months of exclusivity is plenty of time to lose interest in a game. I loved the first two Metros and would probably have bought this day 1, but the exclusivity gave me time to hear a bunch of comparisons between this and Far Cry, which utterly killed my interest. Same thing happened with Ashen, where middling responses killed my hype long before it actually launched.

Exactly this. Punitive boycotts at this point are just a vengeance play and will do little to change the publisher behavior. Traditional games (ie, not F2P/GaaS) are considered successes or failures based on launch window projections, so you not buying the game once it hits Steam won't really be sending the intended message to the publisher. On the other hand, a surge of sales on Steam would show that there was a pent up demand for it, and the higher that is, the less appealing the math becomes on the Epic payout versus hitting those Steam numbers at launch.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Glad it's finally available on Steam again for those who were waiting, unfortunately my hype for the game is pretty much gone at this point so I'll be skipping it. It'll be interesting to see if they try to charge full price or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus is €40 in Europe on Epic Store now, so that's the price you should expect from the Steam release. If it's more than €40 they're gouging you and it would be silly to buy it.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game was super disappointing tbh.
It felt like a mixture between Stalker and Metro but without any of the elements that made those games good.
Scratch that. What it actually felt like was a slightly more interesting Far Cry with less emphasis on "fun" (in the "wow everything explodes as I glide away" sense) and more on immersion. There is one really cool level in it, and one area that is kinda interesting. But that's really it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Deep Silver can shove it at this point. It's old, been given away on Game Pass, Stadia, and as little as $10 on EGS.

I hope people choose to buy other games instead. Exodus is a bargain bin game at this point, and should be treated as such on Steam.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Exactly this. Punitive boycotts at this point are just a vengeance play and will do little to change the publisher behavior. Traditional games (ie, not F2P/GaaS) are considered successes or failures based on launch window projections, so you not buying the game once it hits Steam won't really be sending the intended message to the publisher. On the other hand, a surge of sales on Steam would show that there was a pent up demand for it, and the higher that is, the less appealing the math becomes on the Epic payout versus hitting those Steam numbers at launch.
Actually I fully disagree..If we straight up buy their games then they will think "Hey, since our steam customers will buy our games regardless of the Bad PR we got right after we took our game off sale from steam 2 weeks post launch and took epic's money... Its fine for us to repeat the same things and get away with it."

Just because one steam release of theirs didn't sell well doesn't mean that the next one will. Steam is where AAA games sell buckloads and will continue to do so if devs/pubs prioritize the customer first and epic's money stash second. Just take a look at Red Dead Redemption 2. They only got a month of EGS exclusivity and yet the game sold estimate wise 60% more on steam and 40% on Rockstar laucher and EGS.

The more you prioritize your customers and make em wait less and less, the more will they buy your shit and support you but metro exodus not only got pulled 2 weeks after being on sale on steam and also got delayed on steam for a whole damn year. Thats scummy as hell. Personally speaking Metro is one of my most favourite series but I will only buy when its on sale and when its cheap. Ain't rewarding this behavior by buying it at launch.

Last edited:

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, been playing this on gamepass (on xbox.) Really weird controller settings and stick sensitivity/deadzone, but that shouldnt be an issue on pc.

Has a lot of the vibe of a crysis game (moreso than past metros), all about swapping attatchments on your guns and stealthy combat.

Switch to preset 2 and up the sensitivity all the way. Helps big time with the feeling and control on a console.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Buying this when it releases on Steam sends the message that they can announce on Steam, remove it right before release for a big fat Epic check, and then still get high sales numbers at or near full price from a second release. If they don't take a financial hit from the delay then taking the Epic deal is incentivized. The way to send the message that doing this is not good business is to both not buy the game at its second release and to send them a message (email/Twitter/FB/whatever) saying why. As to your point about launch window success metrics, they'll just start using first launch (Epic sales+moneyhat) and second launch (everywhere else sales) as success metrics as long as that makes them more money (and it will if they end up with the same amount of full prices sales from both launches plus the moneyhat). The only way they make less money from the delay is if people don't buy it after the exclusivity ends, and boycotting for bad publisher behavior is one of the ways that will happen.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Actually I fully disagree..If we straight up buy their games then they will think "Hey, since our steam customers will buy our games regardless of the Bad PR we got right after we took our game off sale from steam 2 weeks post launch and took epic's money... Its fine for us to repeat the same things and get away with it."

Just because one steam release of theirs didn't sell well doesn't mean that the next one will. Steam is where AAA games sell buckloads and will continue to do so if devs/pubs prioritize the customer first and epic's money stash second. Just take a look at Red Dead Redemption 2. They only got a month of EGS exclusivity and yet the game sold estimate wise 60% more on steam and 40% on Rockstar laucher and EGS.

The more you prioritize your customers and make em wait less and less, the more will they buy your shit and support you but metro exodus not only got pulled 2 weeks after being on sale on steam and also got delayed on steam for a whole damn year. Thats scummy as hell. Personally speaking Metro is one of my most favourite series but I will only buy when its on sale and when its cheap. Ain't rewarding this behavior by buying it at launch.

The point though, is that Deep Silver cares more about launch window sales than long tail sales. The important number here isn't the the number of people who will buy the game when it happens to show up on Steam a year later, but rather what you can infer from that number that would have translated to day-one purchases had it been available on Steam.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually when I play games I can tolerate bad parts in favor of the good ones, having an "average" of the qualities. But the story in Metro, with the fast paced but at the same time stilted dialogue made it unbearable. Its like every single character is reading from the script as fast as they can and stopping at weird points in the phrase. Also, everyone adressing Artyom while he just stays there like the radiation fried his brain.

I wish Stalker 2 wasnt vaporware.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The point though, is that Deep Silver cares more about launch window sales than long tail sales. The important number here isn't the the number of people who will buy the game when it happens to show up on Steam a year later, but rather what you can infer from that number that would have translated to day-one purchases had it been available on Steam.
So....that makes it simpler tbh.. if not enough people buy it at launch and convey to Deep silver that 'no, we won't support you like this and buy it for cheap later' then there is more of a chance that they will prioritize not taking epic's money again. Metro exodus didn't sell great exactly on launch on EGS btw but well it also had 2 weeks of launch on steam prior to being EGS exclusive so its.. mixed i guess?

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got it on Steam before it was removed from the Store but it's nice to see EGS exclusive ends for some games. I hope one day Ubisoft come back like EA did.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's been a year already? that's crazy
hilarious is they are trying to sell it at full price though, good luck!

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
So....that makes it simpler tbh.. if not enough people buy it at launch and convey to Deep silver that 'no, we won't support you like this and buy it for cheap later' then there is more of a chance that they will prioritize not taking epic's money again. Metro exodus didn't sell great exactly on launch on EGS btw but well it also had 2 weeks of launch on steam prior to being EGS exclusive so its.. mixed i guess?

There's a not-insignificant portion of people though who would have bought it at launch on Steam, didn't on EGS, but now a year later have lost interested or moved on to the next hype train. That's the segment that's in play here, so it all comes down to whether the revenue they would get from that segment would exceed the Epic payout. Obviously they won't have hard numbers on that, but extrapolating that out from the second wave Steam sales is the best way to project that, especially in the context of how many people had it wishlisted on Steam.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
There's a not-insignificant portion of people though who would have bought it at launch on Steam, didn't on EGS, but now a year later have lost interested or moved on to the next hype train. That's the segment that's in play here, so it all comes down to whether the revenue they would get from that segment would exceed the Epic payout. Obviously they won't have hard numbers on that, but they extrapolating that out from the second wave Steam sales is the best way to project that, especially in the context of how many people had it wishlisted on Steam.
Yeah and that 'second wave' is the problem for them. PC gamers are used to waiting for ports and stuff and boy they can WAIT :P. So iam not sure that Deep Silver will get what they want in this situation.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
You just download the other launcher and you are good to go day one?

I keep hearing about lack of sales on PC due to piracy and such. Unless the developer is the one running the launcher their games should be available on all platforms to maximize possible profit. Until that happens I don't want to hear about weak sales on PC.

Feb 21, 2019
I keep hearing about lack of sales on PC due to piracy and such. Unless the developer is the one running the launcher their games should be available on all platforms to maximize possible profit. Until that happens I don't want to hear about weak sales on PC.
I mean, just seems like a big ol bag of "who cares" to me.

Download launcher, buy game, play game. Done.

What the companies do behind the scenes about exclusivity and what not is up to them and really is only a minor inconvenience (if that) to us.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

What the companies do behind the scenes about exclusivity and what not is up to them and really is only a minor inconvenience (if that) to us.

Those companies decisions largely impact the end users. You know how I referenced publishers complaining about lack of sales on PC? Those comments drive them to implement anti piracy measures that only hurt the paying customer and don't slow down the pirates. Those decisions make it so games like Metro don't show up on the biggest market (steam) on pc gaming and hurts sales so possibly another Metro game isn't made or possibly ported to PC.

Ignoring stupid decisions by the publisher only hurts the consumer in the end.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I truly don't understand the whole problem with different launchers. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Simple, even if someone completely ignore ( or is unaffected ) the difference in features, the launchers war is also a price war. Self quote from last year :
What is the biggest differentiator for you ? how much it cost to buy a console compared to the ( free ) price of a new launcher ?

If so, let's ignore any other issue other than price then, and take Metro Exodus as an example, a steam key before the game became exclusive : 39.5€; EGS price in europe after the exclusivity deal : 59.99€.
If every games were to be similary impacted, the increase in cost given how much I spend in games, would cover more than the cost of a ps4 pro.. every year.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

this has been litigated ad nauseam in prior EGS threads so I won't go down that rabbit hole here, but the short answer is that no, these are not "just another launcher." They are entire ecosystems with various degrees of engagement, lock-in and value added, things that are important to the people who care about such things. If you don't care, then that's fine, move along and buy games from 20 different launchers, but don't diminish the concerns of the people who do value those things.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Just about finished this on Gamepass. Can only recommend it
508a334e-cec9-4aec-9c24-e96cb9a385ce.PNG

It's great to finally see the world outside the Metro in this one

ee1a9675-fffa-47d9-a572-1d79ed38c166.PNG

Do you need to play the older games?

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
I wonder how this will sell, i was on day 1 for this game untill they removed it from steam and then i didnt buy it, now i just dont care and will probably skip the game forever or wait for a very deep sale.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Do you need to play the older games?
To understand the story, not really. There's a reasonable recap at the beginning

But I would say to play the redux versions. They are phenomenal FP stealth/action/horror titles.

Cannot recommend Exodus enough. The action, exploration and stealth are fun and there's a surprising amount of little details in how people interact with you based upon some not very obvious actions you can take in the game.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lmao i was blocked so i cant comment on their Twitter. They got offended when i called them out on their exclusive bs.

Too late honesty, bought it on steam and its been on gamepass forever. At least its a hood game, unlike borderlands 3, which i will never buy even if it comes to steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You know I just remembered about the nonsense one of the developers said about threatening to stop making games for PC if people didn't just shut up and buy it from EGS, and then Epic PR trying to pretend the comments had been mistranslated (they hadn't).

I don't really want this game to be a failure, but it would kinda serve as a warning to other developers and publishers to prioritise doing right by their customers.