• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I truly don't understand the whole problem with different launchers. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It comes down to features. I like to occasionally stream my games to my steam link. I can't do that with other launchers. I also like being able to pull up the steam game forums to look something up if necessary. The list goes on and on. How it should be is that the game is released on all launchers, then you let the people choose where to buy it.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
$40 gold edition and I'm in. More than that and fuuuuuck no. Game is a year old.
My thoughts as well.

I avoid MS' Xbox app/Store software on PC so I can't practically play it via Game Pass. The little I played was fun and I like the physicality of the body despite it being 1st person. But I won't pay more than 40 EUR for a game released a year ago.

I truly don't understand the whole problem with different launchers. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
This has been discussed many times by now and people should be aware of that. In short: every launcher comes with its own set of features and they become more and more platforms and not launchers only. With digital distribution as it has evolved by now it's not only a software you need to start a game. Some features are seen as basic as it can gets since many platforms offer them, yet Epic's launcher doesn't offer them, hence people want to avoid it.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to play the older games?
I would recommend it! They are much shorter than this one, each around 8 hours and they will give you enough context to appreciate how Exodus expands the setting. In the beginning of this game there's much talk about a few key factions like Hansa, the Reds, and the Spartans, and if you just played Exodus, it will likely all sound like gibberish to you.
Still, from a purely "most know" perspective Exodus does a decent job of recapping what's going on moment to moment.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

It's not a big deal to you, congrats. Might I suggest just you do you since it doesn't affect you. Meanwhile, others have acknowledge their problems with it and backed it up with various results of what has happened in their experience.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get it when I can run it at 144fps with RTX on, that is, when it hits 5 dollars or so in a few years. The stunt they pulled was ugly.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
You know I just remembered about the nonsense one of the developers said about threatening to stop making games for PC if people didn't just shut up and buy it from EGS, and then Epic PR trying to pretend the comments had been mistranslated (they hadn't).

I don't really want this game to be a failure, but it would kinda serve as a warning to other developers and publishers to prioritise doing right by their customers.
Wasn't that a tweet from Deep Silver?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, just seems like a big ol bag of "who cares" to me.

Download launcher, buy game, play game. Done.

What the companies do behind the scenes about exclusivity and what not is up to them and really is only a minor inconvenience (if that) to us.
Continuing ignorance on and around the subject a year later is no longer an excuse for acting like you "don't understand".

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, will wait for dat sweet discount. Maybe later this year if I'm still interested.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I feel I have to post this in every thread I swear:
It's the equivalent of having to load up a different UI on your PS4/XBO and then suddenly no longer having access to your PSN/Xbox Live friends lists, trophies/achievements, the guide, etc. That would surely be annoying no? When you play a PS4/XBO game, you just expect to have all those features as standard as they're integrated in to the console UI/OS. And it's the exact same with Steam - it has all those featues as standard in every game on their store as part of their Steam integration. Suddenly if a game is exclusive to another launcher, you lose all that stuff and you're in a different ecosystem.

As a couch PC gamer who uses Steam Big Picture Mode, it makes things less plug and play. But luckily I can add games from other launchers to steam using SteamGridDB Manager and UWPHook, but it's obviously a little more hassle than if everything was just on Steam itself.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
It isn't. There are missing features on the Epic Store and it's nicer to have your games in one place. But if Epic can force Valve to lower their cut that will be a huge benefit to gamers and developers. And a lower cut will actually improve the chances of all games coming to Steam.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Whenever a game releases on Steam later, by the time it comes out I always feel "Meh, I wanted until now, I can wait a bit longer until a sale." There's probably half a dozen games I would have bought by now if they'd launched in Steam in the first place. It's like waiting a year forces me to be patient, and that patience carries on even after release, haha.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it on Gamepass with Ray Tracing and it looks amazing and is a pretty fun game. But screw paying $60 if they try to go that route. If any of the EGS exclusive deals try to charge full price a year late, they are smoking something.... It's $28 right now on Amazon for PS4 and is $20 currently on the Microsoft Store for PC.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wanted to play it 12 months ago. That exclusivity fuckery made me lose almost all interest. And in the meantime I picked up the Witcher again. Sorry Metro. Maybe in a deep sale. Maybe never.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I would strongly recommend it to any fans of story focused single player narratives. It's got a good story.

But everyone I know already played it on Gamepass. Everyone should, it's a great deal.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This "it is just another launcher" argument and the coy questions are straight up trolling.
It is definitely people trolling at this point. EGS doesn't compare at all in features for users as well as developers, it's still so utterly lackluster a year later... And 3rd party paid exclusives on an open platform like PC is pure BS, even first party exclusives are transitioning back to co-releases on Steam more like Origin/EA and Microsoft (and Bethesda did awhile back after leaving for a short while).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be really curious how it'll sell.. Will all the anti epic people put their money where their mouth is and buy a year old game at full price?
I've bought the game at full price during that day when it was still on pre-order in Steam after they've announced EGS exclusivity deal.

Feb 21, 2019
Apologies. Stepped away from my computer. And goodness, wasn't expecting the responses.

I understand the whole features and price thing. Wasn't following there were so many differences. Im only a causal PC gamer (and a very new one at that, so I haven't been up to speed on this). I play games like I described. For me (and Im willing to bet, many others), its not a big deal for launchers. Others, it is. Fair enough. Not saying anyone should not voice their opinion.

This is still relatively new in the cycle for different launchers so we will see how this evolves. That said, of course there are going to be different launchers and different content. Thats going to be a thing and I doubt that changes.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If only we had hundreds of these exact same conversations for the last year+ that anyone who cared to understand could have very easily paid attention to.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EGS is just another icon on your desktop.
But a Bethesda.net login on the Switch to play Doom 1 and 2. Now that was too much. Having to sign into an extra account on a console is outrageous! At least Bethesda saw reason, reacted quickly and removed the login.

Anyway: You can make an EGS account for free, what's the big deal with you people?

I'm obviously being sarcastic here: The Bethesda Account outrage was justified and so are people who do not want to use the EGS, for many reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever a game releases on Steam later, by the time it comes out I always feel "Meh, I wanted until now, I can wait a bit longer until a sale." There's probably half a dozen games I would have bought by now if they'd launched in Steam in the first place. It's like waiting a year forces me to be patient, and that patience carries on even after release, haha.

I've learned to be like this with games in general to be honest. If I get through release weekend without caving, it might be years before I eventually get round to it. Doubly so if that "release weekend" has been an arbitrary and pointless year.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I've learned to be like this with games in general to be honest. If I get through release weekend without caving, it might be years before I eventually get round to it. Doubly so if that "release weekend" has been an arbitrary and pointless year.
I do for the most part, but I had GCU and so before I ended it I pre-ordered everything I was remotely interested in that was up to order. I still have like 10 games left to go, lol. If I don't like them, I just sell them for roughly the same amount I paid for them.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
It isn't. There are missing features on the Epic Store and it's nicer to have your games in one place. But if Epic can force Valve to lower their cut that will be a huge benefit to gamers and developers. And a lower cut will actually improve the chances of all games coming to Steam.

I doubt that Epic would actually stop their exclusives spree if steam lowered their cut, even though Sweeney said they would. They will keep buying exclusives until they have a monopoly, or at least they will try.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Just about finished this on Gamepass. Can only recommend it
508a334e-cec9-4aec-9c24-e96cb9a385ce.PNG

It's great to finally see the world outside the Metro in this one

ee1a9675-fffa-47d9-a572-1d79ed38c166.PNG
Oh shit, this post has made me want to dive back in - I only got 3 hours in the first time I tried.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will download it on Game Pass over night. I've heard some mixed things but we'll see. The first Metro game was really good.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Amazing game with great atmosphere, story and world. Something Fallout 4 couldn't get. I'm not comparing Metro to an RPG, but would like other devs to pay closer attention to little details how to build worlds.

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Silly me bought this on steam in a rush when they announced it was leaving steam to Epic but I never really got into it this whole time. Oh well maybe I'll try it again sometime soon

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

Epic can't force Valve to do a damn thing.

The only thing Epic is showing Valve is that they have a huge Fortnite war chest and are throwing money left and right like there is no tomorrow. That's it.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Part of me wants to play it soon and another part wants to wait a year or so till I upgrade my PC and can play it with RTX goodness.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A lower cut can also improve the chances of PC gaming advancements slowing down to a crawl because Valve won't have enough money to continue improving the ecosystem and Epic obviously doesn't give a single fuck about PC ecosystem, as well as most of said publishers who "aren't happy" about Valve's cut but are totally okay with selling same games in their own stores (with zero cut) for the same prices.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Too late to the party for me.
I'm blasting through RE2, Hitman 2 and last playthrough of Doom. Then there's HL:A and Doom Eternal

You snooze you lose.

Having said that, I no doubt will pick the game up much later. Loved 2033 and Last Light, and confident the game will be just as engrossing.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it yesterday and the shooting feels and looks bad, kinda like in the first Metro game (didn't play Last Light). I don't play FPS that don't feel good to play honestly.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Metro 2033 and Last Light had this stupid issue where both used different sensitivities for X and Y-axis mouse movement, which only a downloaded file fix could address.

Does Exodus have this?

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

When you say that there isn't, it sounds like you're trying to invalidate the concerns and opinions from those who do feel that it actually is a big deal. But I assume that you meant that you don't understand it either, which is more fair. Even if the concerns about EGS and how this particular case was handled really poorly by Epic and the publisher shouldn't be a mystery to anyone who has followed the discussions about it, on this forum.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Discounted to £20.99 on Epic Store right now.

I am curious to see how this compares to the price it is when it relaunches on Steam.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Even that sale isn't going to force me to buy the game on Epic Store.. I have all Metro games on Steam - both original and Redux versions - and if the price is going to be high now on Steam, I just wait for some price drop or sale.. I have already waited 1 year, I can wait more