• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
fhKPrQg.png

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So they didn't pay for exclusive but to keep it off steam?

Fuck off Epic.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's not on Steam, it's as 'exclusive' as Epic wants it to be. That's what Epic paid for, after all.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"The contract said we couldn't put it on Steam... it doesn't say anything about the Windows Store!"

They were so blinded by the threat in front of them that they didn't see the threat that was behind them... a few miles back, around the corner, and behind that one coffee shop.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think it's legal which is why they've done everything in their power to frame it differently than that.
The facade ain't holding up though

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was always my frustration with Epic's exclusivity deals. Paying to make a game exclusive to your storefront is a well-established and completely reasonable practice, but paying to keep a game off one storefront and one storefront only? Maybe it's the only way to create a beachhead against a de facto monopoly, but it's vindictive as hell.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, more interestingly, it' says it's part of Game Pass PC! So the store page went online probably a few hours early before the announcement this evening.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
So they didn't pay for exclusive but to keep it off steam?

Fuck off Epic.

It's what I suspected all along with Ubisoft and now the Microsoft Store. The "exclusivity" contracts specifically target Steam and not the wide platform.

I honestly think this strategy might backfire on Sweeny's and Galyonkin's dumb faces. lol

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously good news, I'm in for anything that let's avoid Epic as much as possible. (Tho I preordered this in Steam, but for future stuff like Outer Worlds).

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
uhh is partial exclusivity allowed? like you can release on other store fronts on PC but NOT that one. sounds like a bunch of anti competetive bs imo

€: I see the tweet from tim now. guess they had that kinda custom deal then, but that sounds all like a bunch of bs to me

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It's been clear from day one imo that EGS is all about Tim going after Steam, he is a billionaire after control of an open market, Steam is his biggest threat in that regard, all of his "steam is a monopoly" soundbites point to this.

I would be fine with EGS working as competition against Steam and other storefronts if their store actually benefited the consumer and didn't indulge in practices that negatively impact the consumer but since that isn't the case I will continue to support storefronts that offer more choice.

A few years ago I said the same thing about Microsoft and UWP and their anti-consumer approach to the PC space and since they are now doing amazing things for consumers in this space my opinion has changed and I am fully in support of them.

If Epic change their stance then I will also change mine but until then I will not support them.

Truth be told, GOG is the main service I use because of their DRM free policy but I am always open to more choice as long as it benefits the consumer.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User banned (5 days): Inflammatory driveby; history of similar posts
That is amazingly petty of Epic. Show us on this Funko Pop where Gabe touched you, Tim.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Paid to keep off Steam and Deep Silver agreed to it.

I should be able to get a refund since I was deceived into believing only Epic would have it until 2/20.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Tim: "haha now we'll be able to compete with Steam by stealin- I mean signing all of these exclusivity deals""
Intern: "well sir, strictly speaking the contracts only say not to sell the games on Steam..."
Tim: "bah, where else are people going to go? Discord?! No one can compete with our warchest"

phil-spencer-gif-4.gif

Tim:
maxresdefault.jpg

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if a game is available on literally any store but the epic store, why would anyone ever buy it on epic? There is not a single incentive to buying on EGS. At least the windows store has some Xbox integration, game pass etc.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
We'll stop buying up exclusives when Steam lowers their cut of sales.

Just Steam though right Tim? You're not concerned about the other launcher's cuts because you need them to make that Fortnite money right? You little slimy shit.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this Epic Store strategy is only meant to be temporary for them just to pressure Steam to lower their cut then they just go back to Steam later and shut the Epic Store down?