• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=113505

The data comes from the paid version of the SteamSpy website . It needs a few days from the premiere to get reliable results, so it's only now that noteworthy numbers have appeared. According to them , 193 thousand buyers bought on Steam Metro Exodus . They all bought the game in the pre-orders.

Game was taken down 2 weeks before launch and people only had less than a day to preorder if they haven't already.

200,000 is impressive.

I wonder what the Epic Store sales are like? Sergey, any EpicSpy on the horizon?

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Glad the game is selling well. Personally, I'm waiting until they patch some of the issues before I purchase.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
i am suprised people still call steamspy reliable ... especially after the privacy changes to steam profiles and with the fact Steamspy creator is basically creator of EpicStore

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Yeah. I don't think SteamSpy is all that reliable anymore. But, I've been saying since this deal was announced that Metro was gonna sell the most on Steam. The year of exclusivity doesn't matter. I'm sticking by that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pretty sure sergey already said they won't be sharing EGS sales numbers, so unless a developer or publisher decides to share (lol) we're going to remain in the dark

OP
OP
Paul

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i am suprised people still call steamspy reliable ... especially after the privacy changes to steam profiles and with the fact Steamspy creator is basically creator of EpicStore

The latter fact has no bearing on its reliability, but the former does for the public steamspy version. But I have no idea how the paid (patreoned) version works or how reliable it is or not - I would assume that if Sergey is charging for it, it should not be complete bullshit?

Sergey works for Epic...

thatsthejoke.jpg

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that these numbers are super accurate, but my overriding response is that it's an obvious conflict of interest that an Epic employee runs Steamspy, and beyond a joke that Epic are not releasing any sales data for Epic Store.

Edit: For what it's worth, there are 2,146 reviews from people who bought the game on steam, and I've seen data to suggest that on average about one in 80 customers post reviews on Steam, which would equate to a figure of 171,680. Obviously that very much an estimation, and that number would assume that Metro Exodus is getting a typical review rate (which given the circumstances around it's release is not a reliable assumption at all).

Edit2: 2,747 reviews on Steam in total, so I guess that's 602 from purchases from Humble and other stores who were able to get Steam keys out.

Last edited:

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
The latter fact has no bearing on its reliability, but the former does for the public steamspy version. But I have no idea how the paid (patreoned) version works or how reliable it is or not - I would assume that if Sergey is charging for it, it should not be complete bullshit?
yeah iirc most of the stats on steamspy of old was make basically by scanning game ownership on public profiles and doing some statistics stuff on it ... so with the privacy changes making most of the profiles hidden by default , main source of info is gone and all thats left are indicators that arent directl tied to ownership .... so i have my doubts about relaiablity even for the patreon version

As for the first thing ... sure its not really about reliability .... but its more about credibility of the whole web and its creator with such conflict of interests

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It seems like developers should just offer aaa games as preorders on steam then pull them. Don't let us consumers waffle around.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Steamspy hasn't been a reliable indicator of sales for a while now ever since the privacy changes made by valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.