• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Only last year, Sony found itself facing legal action over selling defective DualSense controllers, and now it's been hit with similar accusations regarding the PlayStation 5 console itself.

The lawsuit was filed by one Christina Trejo from Illinois in the US, but it's also on behalf of other disgruntled PlayStation 5 owners, making it a class action lawsuit that anyone (in the US) can join.

Trejo and the other plaintiffs claim to have frequently experienced crashes regardless of which game they were playing, which can result in loss of save data, corruption, and potential damage to the overall system.

They argue that Sony has deliberately withheld information about this defect and is knowingly selling the console without alerting customers of the fact.

For its evidence, the suit shares links to several unhappy customer reviews and social media complaints regarding this specific problem, the earliest of which were made not long after the PlayStation 5 launched in 2020.

metro.co.uk

PS5 owners suing Sony for knowingly selling defective consoles

After suffering frequent crashes on their PS5s, a group of disgruntled customers want to take Sony to court over it.

Close if old.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I have heard a ton of widespread issues like you were seeing by now with the 360.

That article is pretty light on substance as well about what the issue is.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Defective DualSense, I'm on board. My initial DualSense already has drift. Console has been fine though.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
For its evidence, the suit shares links to several unhappy customer reviews and social media complaints regarding this specific problem, the earliest of which were made not long after the PlayStation 5 launched in 2020.

It also cites articles that provide self-repair instructions for dealing with the problem, the most recent of which was written only a couple of weeks ago, suggesting that this issue has persisted for the last two years.

As for why it believes Sony is fully aware of the problem, it provided examples of customers taking advantage of the warranty period to send in their console for repairs.
This is going nowhere

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
How do they know the information was withheld versus this just being manufacturing defect, same as any electronic device? Is it that the units fail in the same way?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sounds like a group of people who don't understand how software works and how (whatever the term is that I currently can't remember at the moment) acceptable failure rate(s)? are in mass manufacturing. This probably isn't going to go anywhere.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
That is some amazing evidence presented for sure 🤦‍♂️

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Title of article is missing 'allegedly' or quotation marks. Quality from Metro as usual. Reads more like a forum post.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can sue anyone over an unstable operating system and lost save data. As for "potential damage to the overall system" let's see those receipts.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
game-of-thrones-well.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they withheld information, but sure as hell the PS5 build quality is horrendous.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Nice, I bought 2 at launch so I'm getting a whole $2 dollars as compensation 😙

/s

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Absolute ironclad offense right there lol

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't think they withheld information, but sure as hell the PS5 build quality is horrendous.

Is it? I haven't seen any real concerns. There are obviously going to be some degree of failure, but nothing outside of electronics norms. What are you basing it having "horrendous" build quality on?

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Well my os has been fine, but i might have allowed for my ps5 to topple over from a very small height, clinching the hdmi cable and making the port inoperable. Personally i think it probably should have not been so touchy but it's being sent back to me right now so.... I'm not that upset🤷

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is it? I haven't seen any real concerns. There are obviously going to be some degree of failure, but nothing outside of electronics norms. What are you basing it having "horrendous" build quality on?

Basing on my shitty Nidec fan which makes a shit ton of noise because I lost the fan lottery yet Sony refuses to exchange. Also based on cheap power supplies that makes a lot of coil whine to a lot of users. And yes based on crashes that a lot of people had (although that may be also fault of the OS).

Probably some dramatic take on coil whine and varying fan noise depending on fan model.

Sorry some people weren't as lucky as you in Sony's lottery.

Always amazing to see people side with big corporations and not the users.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to run into the issue but no idea how they figure they're going to prove that it was a known defect.

Oct 28, 2017
When you base your evidence and your case on:

"Unhappy people I found on social media".

You're done before you even got started.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see at least one return a week in the store, so honestly, can't say I'm surprised...

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
That is 200 copies of Anthem!
I normally don't like these type of posts, but then yesterday as I was mindlessly browsing YouTube Shorts (or was it TikTok?), I saw a video of someone who bought a copy of Anthem from GameStop for $0.01. I was in disbelief and awe, and you are indeed correct, you can literally buy 200 copies of Anthem for $2.00.