• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
9srhgUS.gif

Sep 29, 2019
Metroid Dread likely already did 1/5 of Samus Returns worldwide sales on its opening week in Japan alone, if you consider the digital sales too. Amazing perfomance.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Yeah everything won't be the same right now. Lelouch stops doing NPD, Bruno is perma banned for some reason, we don't know whether Chris will return.

It needs to sell first.

But did it beat Demon Slayer?

lol

Haha yeah that is never happening in Japan imo

I'd be blown away if it did, but given how hot DS is now (especially with S2 out), that ain't happening--also to say nothing of Metroid's history in Japan.

Really pleased to see these numbers regardless. Hope they keep climbing, in all regions.

Demon slayer is probably going to flop for what it is.

It's gonna beat the PS5 version, at least. AFAIK I don't think there's been any PS5 SKU of a game that's sold 87k physical copies lifetime in Japan.

a few things to note, unless Demon slayer has crazy legs, the games are gonna sell FW anywhere between 100k-150k FW. There is even a possibility that it could hit just under 100k FW.

Metroid did 87k and unlike the DS games Metroid digital will most likely go over 30% due to its price and vouchers.

MD actually might sell more so hold off on thinking it's not gonna happen 😊

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
a few things to note, unless Demon slayer has crazy legs, the games are gonna sell FW anywhere between 100k-150k FW. There is even a possibility that it could hit just under 100k FW.

Metroid did 87k and unlike the DS games Metroid digital will most likely go over 30% due to its price and vouchers.

That'll be crow I don't mind eating!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Dread is the first time I saw a Metroid game and thought it looked fun. I wonder if others had the same reaction.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
That'll be crow I don't mind eating!

Funny when I made the prediction I said Demon slayer would have to really underperform and Metroid do better than expected and it's actually in the realm now. Demon slayer looked like a 250k-300k seller FW and now we don't even know if it'll do 200k+ lifetime

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The Switch seems to have cultivated a much stronger core audience than previous Nintendo systems.

Has it ever been explored why Japan historically just didn't like this series?

It's weird because Japanese studios are great at making Metroidvania games. It's not like the Japanese FPS situation where there is little interest due to the weaker local development scene.

Maybe it all comes down to the simple fact that Castlevania and Metroid are inspired by Dracula and Alien? I could potentially see those aesthetics being unappealing to the mainstream. Both franchises have made attempts to be more "anime", but in Metroid's case it has never been successful.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it all comes down to the simple fact that Castlevania and Metroid are inspired by Dracula and Alien? I could potentially see those aesthetics being unappealing to the mainstream. Both franchises have made attempts to be more "anime", but in Metroid's case it has never been successful.
I find that hard to imagine considering how much Japanese media used that aesthetic in some way. For video games, how about Contra, or Streets of Rage 2? If we're looking at movies, consider Zeiram. For anime, consider Freeza's forms.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Although not stationed in Japan, I still have to do my part. Absolutely will though. Game looks amazing and deserves every sale it gets, regarding the reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
I find that hard to imagine considering how much Japanese media used that aesthetic in some way. For video games, how about Contra, or Streets of Rage 2? If we're looking at movies, consider Zeiram. For anime, consider Freeza's forms.

Japan really digs some bits of Western media. I can't count the number of Terminator references I've seen in games and anime.
As you said, Contra is heavily inspired by Hollywood movies. Not only with the Xenomorph inspiration, but Bill and Lance clearly being Arnold and Sly. Casltevania is of course inspired by Universal Studios monster movies.
Biohazard/Resident Evil is a loving tribute to western horror (they even got George Romero to direct the Japanese commercial for the original RE2).

So Metroid's lack of popularity is baffling.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Japan really digs some bits of Western media. I can't count the number of Terminator references I've seen in games and anime.
As you said, Contra is heavily inspired by Hollywood movies. Not only with the Xenomorph inspiration, but Bill and Lance clearly being Arnold and Sly. Casltevania is of course inspired by Universal Studios monster movies.
Biohazard/Resident Evil is a loving tribute to western horror (they even got George Romero to direct the Japanese commercial for the original RE2).

It's baffling if we assume it's an issue of the aesthetics. There are other potential areas which could have been holding back the series' success.

Sonic hasn't done well in Japan since the Dreamcast days and I doubt many people are going to claim that it's due to the aesthetic not resonating.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this doing well mean Mercury Steam get to do a Metroid 6 or another remake (I hope they get to pick what they want to do). Dread is fantastic and lived up to my expectations and I want to see more!

Also Raven Beak for Smash.

Oct 28, 2017
My goodness, that chart is rather telling if those LTD numbers are accurate.

Japan does not give a single fuck about Metroid. (Before Dread)

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017

I'm actually thinking this is happening lol

I was just trying to stay reasonable amid the Dread hype, which success I'm rooting for.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
You love to see it. With physical alone beating ZM and SR's LTD, beautiful.

As for the older games, it's been said Metroid sold 1.04 million. I do recall ancient MC data being shared in prior threads, and Metroid 2 only sold 100k. As for Super Meteoi, I feel like it was either around 500k or 780k? Either way it sort of rebounded from 2 but never hit 1's level. Seems like Dread is a lock for the 3rd best selling Metroid over there though.

Oct 27, 2017
87... thousand? That's it? Bloody hell. I thought it was more well regarded than that. But hey, gg on best opening week.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have any Japanese numbers for Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, but they sold considerably less worldwide than the first Metroid, so I can't imagine they were that big (though it's quite possible they did outsell Dread's first week sales in Japan).

Even a 30% digital ratio would put it at 72% of Fusion's total sales in the first week alone. That's incredible, especially considering that Japan hasn't historically been one of Metroid's best markets. I would be very shocked if it didn't end up becoming the best-selling Metroid at this point.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The Switch prints sales. Nintendo should be taking this as the time to revitalize a lot of its forgotten IP.

I only hurt myself by hoping they someday realize that F-Zero is literally styled to sell well on Switch's platform, especially with online races included.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Maybe we won't have to wait a long time again for another new 2D Metroid.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch prints sales. Nintendo should be taking this as the time to revitalize a lot of its forgotten IP.

I only hurt myself by hoping they someday realize that F-Zero is literally styled to sell well on Switch's platform, especially with online races included.
I feel like it's never going to happen at this point, sadly.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017

<<< Hence my profile picture lol. ;) I might be wrong, but I don't think the genre has ever been popular in Japan for whatever reason. In fact, the genre as a whole is niche if the best selling of them all worldwide is Hollow Knight at 3M+ . A familiar case where enthusiasts interest completely dwarf that of the mainstream which make the Metroidvania genre much bigger than it is in reality.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I knew Metroid's sales over time were low but man I never realized how low.

Glad to see Dread coming in strong. It's good and I hope the series gets the boost it deserves due to its existence.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew Metroid's sales over time were low but man I never realized how low.

Glad to see Dread coming in strong. It's good and I hope the series gets the boost it deserves due to its existence.
Metroid Prime is still the highest(i think) with 2.8 million being the estimate. Metroid has never been a Halo/God of War/Mario tier sales giant.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Metroid Prime is still the highest(i think) with 2.8 million being the estimate. Metroid has never been a Halo/God of War/Mario tier sales giant.
I know. I've done my part since Prime/Fusion and bought every entry except Federation Force. I'm hoping this is the game that finally pushes things to the next level. The series deserves better.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know. I've done my part since Prime/Fusion and bought every entry except Federation Force. I'm hoping this is the game that finally pushes things to the next level. The series deserves better.
Aye, that it does.

Prime series is my goat shooter of the generation.