• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Updated sales puts it at 2.9m units.
Metroid Prime was the previous highest selling game at 2.84m.

See you next mission!

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved for such a great game. Hope we see both 2D and 3D Samus again soon

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Fantastic news! Totally deserved, the game is really top-tier. Mercury Steam did it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It was a great game, well deserved.

I had my doubts going in, because Samus Returns was so, so bad. But I ate my words, Mercury Steam did a great job.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Good game and great news, Dread isn't top of my list in the series but I enjoyed it and glad Metroid is finding some market success for once. Hoping Prime 4 can break out a bit as well.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Metroid Prime 4 is primed to take the crown soon enough.

anytime now, anytime.....

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
Really hope this cement the collaboration between Mercury Steam.
Well, hope they fix their "work culture" as well @ Mercury Steam.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Oh this is fantastic news :D

Nintendo really hit the jackpot releasing Dead on Switch!

It should reach 3.5 million before the Switch gets discontinued

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good but also a bit lower than I hoped. I thought it was a given that it was going to be the best selling game in the franchise given the Switch's meteoric success. If an entry on the Switch doesn't become the best selling entry by default then i have to wonder if it's considered a bit of a failure in Nintendo's eyes. Same goes for other franchises on the Switch by this point too.

Either way, Dread was amazing.
Bring on Prime 4!

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
Dread didn't do it for me personally though I'm very happy it put Metroid back on the map.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
That's great. I wish it was twice that, just to put Metroid above stuff like Fire Emblem and Kirby and really cement the 2D series lol

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Very good game, with the best 2D Metroid gameplay to date, in my opinion. Was it worth waiting two decades for? I don't know, as that's a difficult question to answer, but all in all, I'm highly optimistic about Metroid's future. Bring on that Prime remaster, and let's keep our fingers crossed that Prime 4 can deliver in a big way!

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
When you consider how good previous games were it's criminal that this is the case, but it's also great news for the series and I hope it translates to greater success for the Prime series and future games

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
It's lower on my list of favorite Metroids but I hope they make a sequel that can top Super for me.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I knew people predicting it'd sell 5 or even 6 million were quite a ways off.

But it did feel like Dread being on Switch and being the face of the Switch OLED marketing it had the chance to crack 3 million (and I think it probably will, though that last 100 000 isn't guaranteed).

But yeah, Metroid has historically sold really low compared to other major franchises (even ridiculously good games like Metroid Zero Mission ended up selling less than 100K). The last Animal Crossing game on its own sold about twice as much as every Metroid game combined.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Always appalling to see how low Metroid games have historically sold.

At least Dread seems to be selling like a real video game.

What do you mean by like a real videogame?

Getting this close to 3m will put it among the best selling metroidvanias to ever exist. Certainly given the price point, this will be the highest revenue one has ever had. Even other darlings of the genre like hollow knight only end up at this level of sales (last update for HK was 2.8m), but that game was... $15 at launch? Whereas metroid was full priced

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah. It's an excellent game. Hopefully this convinces Nintendo and MercurySteam to do a follow-up.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an overview of the entire Metroid series sales figures, at least for the million sellers.
6kLxFL7.png

To give Metroid some credit, while it's true that it has never historically been a huge seller, it at least has had consistency on its side. All of the main original 2D and Prime games have at least sold a million, even god damn Metroid Prime Hunters made it to that point.

The only Metroid branded games that have not sold over a million are the remakes and the meme games like Other M and Fed Force. Like, compare Metroid's trajectory to other sci-fi Nintendo IPs like F-Zero, or Star Fox, and you'll see that it never truely dropped off as hard as those two did.

(kinda glad dread outsold f-zero snes, which outsold metroid prime by a hair hinch, so we no longer have to say that f-zero sold better than metroid lolol)

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
The near 20 year wait nearly drove me insane. Glad Dread is putting up good numbers though.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing!! Metroid is saved, Metroid is back.

Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 turns out to be amazing as fuck. I hope we have some news about the Prime remasters pretty soon.

I imagine that Nintendo looks at the sales as being very satisfying as it not only became the best-selling game in the series in less than a year, it managed to do so at full price the whole way through, as a pretty significant chunk of Prime's sales came in when they dropped it to $20 over the course of several years.

Metroid is always going to hit a pretty hard ceiling as far as total sales are concerned due to the genre itself not being as mainstream, but already being one of the best-selling games ever in that genre is undoubtedly a huge victory, especially as it's only one one platform.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I knew people predicting it'd sell 5 or even 6 million were quite a ways off.

But it did feel like Dread being on Switch and being the face of the Switch OLED marketing it had the chance to crack 3 million (and I think it probably will, though that last 100 000 isn't guaranteed).

But yeah, Metroid has historically sold really low compared to other major franchises (even ridiculously good games like Metroid Zero Mission ended up selling less than 100K). The last Animal Crossing game on its own sold about twice as much as every Metroid game combined.
It's absolutely hitting 3 million, that's just a matter of when not if.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping 3M by now but the difference at this point is truly arbitrary. It should be able to leg it out to that number in due time and it's no less impressive. Metroid is finally the big hitter it deserves to be, and the stage is set for Prime 4. Couldn't have happened to a more fantastic game.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What do you mean by like a real videogame?

Getting this close to 3m will put it among the best selling metroidvanias to ever exist. Certainly given the price point, this will be the highest revenue one has ever had. Even other darlings of the genre like hollow knight only end up at this level of sales (last update for HK was 2.8m), but that game was... $15 at launch? Whereas metroid was full priced
I was being facetious with the comment, all I was getting at was that for all its splendor and fanbase enthusiasm Metroid has sold criminally low. It selling 3m copies finally shows some heft in being a "real" success and not as much of a cult release.

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely deserved... Hope it keeps selling for a while. The comeback the series desperately needed, and Prime 4 will have to be absolutely amazing to compete with it.