• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
How the fuck am I supposed to beat the last boss when stringing three double jumps together is like winning the lottery?

Lol this is exactly how I feel and exactly why I'm getting stuck. I spent five minutes just goofing around trying to master the double jump and I can do it for a few - but in the heat of battle? I feel like I'm fucking up combos in a Street Fighter noob panic.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck am I supposed to beat the last boss when stringing three double jumps together is like winning the lottery?

space jump timing is paramount for his second stage at least, so get ready to practice.

it's not that bad as long as you're not mashing jump, make sure to get the timing down

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The Yellow EMMI is down. Good riddance. So far so good. Not so bad... yet. I'm enjoying it. Like the use of the power-ups here. There's something about this game that makes you want to keep playing. Still EMMI sectors suck and dying over and over to them isn't fun at all. Not looking forward to the last boss stuff especially hearing how some say it's hard...

OST continues to disappoint. Can't remember a single area. Can't even hum it.

getting ready to sell this game over the stupid EMMI mechanics. What a poor design decision. Really wrecks the pacing when you die over and over.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Doing double jump like I said earlier is rhythm, you can't do it at the apex, it has to be when Samus is descending from the apex of her first jump. It's like a wave going up and down.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Your arm cannon has to be pointing at the enemy you want to lock. If the enemy is in front of you it just works, but if its in any other place you need to aim to lock

thanks - oh, so the lockon only starts triggering once the aim beam has gone over an enemy? i guess that makes sense

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not mashing it, I've been trying to get the timing down since I got the fucking thing and it just refuses to work half the time

Why did they make Samus move like a goddamn Goomba, honestly

you're hitting the double jump again only at the apex of her first jump right?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm not mashing it, I've been trying to get the timing down since I got the fucking thing and it just refuses to work half the time

Why did they make Samus move like a goddamn Goomba, honestly
There's more of a delay than you think there is/than feels natural, you do it in a rhythm when she's just about to come down

It's annoying but once you get it down you should just be able to indefinitely float around everything

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about this game is that my left index finger is paralyzed and I keep turning into a morph ball when I don't mean to 😭

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
thanks - oh, so the lockon only starts triggering once the aim beam has gone over an enemy? i guess that makes sense

You dont specifically need the aim beam, for example it works without aiming if the enemy is standing in front of you as the arm cannon is always pointing foward.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space jump timing never really was an issue for me in this game personally, but I suspect that's a result of years of experience with the franchise ingraining the timing in me since I feel like I remember having trouble with it during earlier Metroid games

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
There's more of a delay than you think there is/than feels natural, you do it in a rhythm when she's just about to come down

It's annoying but once you get it down you should just be able to indefinitely float around everything
I'm happy that Samus double jump feels different. It's a uniquely metroid thing compared to other metroidvanias.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the homing missiles, I cannot jump over them, I cannot slide under them unless I am immediately sliding the instant they come out, and I cannot air dash through them - so it's kind of just jumping around randomly like a moron and hoping that's enough to avoid them
You can shoot those down

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Super stuck in Dairon, really don't know how I can advance more… any hints?

This is really vague lol

you revisit Dairon constantly in different stages of the game progression

I got stuck several times, it is the quintessential Metroid experience. The game absolutely gives you the tools to figure it out, check the map, the upgrades, the doors, etc, etc. The last Adam briefing gives you the general direction without spoiling it too much, follow that overall objective, you can check it in the log ( pause menu if I'm not mistaken), sure a guide or any forum will get you through, sure, but you will miss that delight of finding it on your own. Also the game doesn't have impossible things like bombing that one special block or whatever, there is always logic to it. You don't need to do insane backtracking or anything to finish the game, only if you want to 100% items.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
You dont specifically need the aim beam, for example it works without aiming if the enemy is standing in front of you as the arm cannon is always pointing foward.

right, what i mean is if you enter aim mode, if you don't already have a lockon i think it might reset the lockon hold count or... something, idk. i dunno, i'll have to test it more, it's weird.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Probably old news by now but just in case. Infinite wall jump has been discovered.with early game power up (morph ball). Putting in spoilers just in case but there are no spoilers in here other than morph ball that everyone and their mom knows about by now:

-------
And some thoughts on the parry system:

Not sure if this is done on purpose but some enemies actually attack BEFORE the "tink!' flash. Some will attack AFTER it. It is wildly inconsistent. I wish they'd just remove the flash period. It is useless. It fakes me out sometimes because I'm prepared for any movement, but then there's a delay or they've already rammed into me.

For example, the charging boar alien thingy will start rushing before the "tink" flash and it always catches me off guard.

Minor gripe but it does bother me a lil.

Last edited:

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Space jump timing never really was an issue for me in this game personally, but I suspect that's a result of years of experience with the franchise ingraining the timing in me since I feel like I remember having trouble with it during earlier Metroid games
I finished super metroid for the first time a couple months ago and Dread is far more forgiving on the timing. I never felt that confident with it in SM, but was easily using it after trying it a couple times in Dread.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
start the boost at the room above and get your shinespark to go diagonal. That's how I did it.
I can see how this would work, but going diagonal makes me miss the angle by a little bit.

This worked, I just had to go a bit further. Thank you!

I start my dash in the tram room to the right, you should get the boost right as you enter this room, and then you time your jumps so you jump on the platform right above the "LO" in global map on your second screen shot and then jump again towards the end of the platform with the magnet wall on it. No need to shinespark.
The fact that I have screw attack makes it hard to wall jump when I want to, let alone do the shinespark without triggering another jump.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
you're hitting the double jump again only at the apex of her first jump right?
I'm hitting uninstall, I'm not subjecting myself to this nonsense

I regret spending money on this - it was so close to being good, but EMMIs are not fun or interesting because one-hit kills and because the optimal way to handle them is to just sprint through the zone and up they aren't in your way, the "stalking" part is a non-factor if you're playing it properly (and then they don't even actually go away if you hide from them anyway)

Then they give you 5-phase boss fights with no checkpoints, when every phase bullet sponges hundreds of shots and you have to mash the Y button for 10 minutes just to get back to where you're trying to progress

No fucking thank you

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone wanna watch Kraid (difussion beam boss) just melt? (not a bomb quick kill)

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Just did my third run and got my time down to just over 3 hours. This is probably the most fun I have ever had speedrunning a game and I'm looking forward to doing who knows how many more runs. Such an amazing game.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When it's blowing you away and you have the projectiles coming in front of you, you can boost, shinespark and kill the boss in 1 hit
I saw the video about 10 minutes after I beat it and I was so mad because I figured something would happen if you got them but I had no idea.. it would be..... THAT effective lol

Mar 18, 2020
I'm hitting uninstall, I'm not subjecting myself to this nonsense

I regret spending money on this - it was so close to being good, but EMMIs are not fun or interesting because one-hit kills and because the optimal way to handle them is to just sprint through the zone and up they aren't in your way, the "stalking" part is a non-factor if you're playing it properly (and then they don't even actually go away if you hide from them anyway)

Then they give you 5-phase boss fights with no checkpoints, when every phase bullet sponges hundreds of shots and you have to mash the Y button for 10 minutes just to get back to where you're trying to progress

No fucking thank you

I feel you but let me tell you, the feeling of accomplishment when it clicks and you shoot these bosses in the face (after a lot of tries) is pretty great.
Sometimes it helps to just take a break and come back, you might get that refresh that lets you move sharper or see something you didn't before.
I took an hour break after getting stuck on one boss then came back and melted it in a few minutes.

Don't let the condescension in here get to you either, some people just need an enemy

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean in no way is the space jump as hard as EWGF (good 15 years of competitive Tekken here), there's no 5 phase boss fight in the game (the max is 3 unless you want to count QTEs), nothing is a bullet sponge if you're approaching it correctly, and it shouldn't take you 10 minutes to return literally anywhere in the game. But I mean you were mostly correct about EMMIs, so I guess that wasn't hyperbole.

Anyone wanna watch Kraid (difussion beam boss) just melt? (not a bomb quick kill)

Is he using a turbo controller or giving himself carpal tunnel

Also had no idea about that counter at the end, but the little flash is there, definitely speeds things ups

Recreate

Sep 16, 2021
I got the Morph Ball & Wide Beam. Already went back to Cataris & Arteria and didn't find any leads. Thanks
I think you're still before the 2nd boss .
sorry my memory doesn't serve me too well. I believe you need to find the suit to allow you to go through lava areas. My log says it's in artaria but you may need to access the red teleporting from cataris to artaria to find it. Hope that helps. Don't feel bad if you look for hints online. Sometimes you completely miss a small little hint to progress and don't realise. Good luck

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean in no way is the space jump as hard as EWGF (good 15 years of competitive Tekken here), there's no 5 phase boss fight in the game (the max is 3 unless you want to count QTEs), nothing is a bullet sponge if you're approaching it correctly, and it shouldn't take you 10 minutes to return literally anywhere in the game. But I mean you were mostly correct about EMMIs, so I guess that wasn't hyperbole.

Is he using a turbo controller or giving himself carpal tunnel

Also had no idea about that counter at the end, but the little flash is there, definitely speeds things ups
Phase 1
Golden Phase 2
Flying Phase 3
Wingless Phase 4
X Phase 5

But please, continue

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
YAY. PARALYZED FINGER OR NO I FINALLY BEAT Experiment Z 57

God that was satisfying.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
I finished super metroid for the first time a couple months ago and Dread is far more forgiving on the timing. I never felt that confident with it in SM, but was easily using it after trying it a couple times in Dread.

Super's was also rough because if you screwed up you had to hit the ground to try again. Later games are way more forgiving than that.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Phase 1
Golden Phase 2
Flying Phase 3
Wingless Phase 4
X Phase 5

But please, continue
First two are the same phase, it's the same attacks waiting for a counter prompt, the last one isn't a phase it's a QTE at best

You know you can just admit you were raging and being hyperbolic. I have no issues with people being frustrated because they're having trouble with the game, it's when they come in here straight up lying about shit to try and justify it or make no effort to remedy the situation

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Final Boss

Look I struggled too but calling Raven Beak X a phase is quite the take. It's literally holding the shoot button. And if you die it just restarts you from that point (I should know, I fumbled around and started firing too late and died the first time).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Antagonizing other users; history of similar infractions
Oh I see what this is, you're just quite bad at the game. Sorry, but this is one of the most sublimely controlling metroidvanias on the market and "stringing 3 double jumps" together is very easy.

The timing is you have to press the jump button again once Samus starts moving downwards, not before. Not once did I miss it during the entire game.