• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 11, 2018
metroid-prime-4.original.jpg

Release Date: TBD
Developer: Retro Studios
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Metroid Prime 4 development and speculation thread! We are nearing three years since it's initial announcement, and over a year since it restarted development with Retro Studios. This thread serves as a place to discuss all facts, rumors, and speculation about the game.

What do we know about the game?

Very little actually. And it's especially tricky because now that development has been restarted from scratch, we don't know if things that were initially said about the game still hold true. Here are some general hints we have:

-The original E3 press release hinted at a return to focus on the isolation and exploration of Prime 1.
-The end of Federation Force shows Sylux
stealing a Metroid from the Federation.
It's likely this will tie into the plot somehow.
-Tanabe has said on multiple occasions he wants to explore the dynamic between Samus and Sylux. Expect Sylux to be a big part of the game.
-Tanabe also stated interest in a time shifiting mechanic while giving an interview for Federation Force.
-Tanabe also mentioned the desire to have the game take place on a single planet.

See this Eurogamer Interview:

www.eurogamer.net

Next proper Metroid Prime "would likely now be on NX"

Nintendo's next home console Metroid Prime game will now likely not release until the company has launched its next-gen…

Offiicial trailers and Information videos:

Who is still left at Retro from the old Prime team?

The following Linkedin profiles belong to Retro Studios employees, and line up closely with the credits on Tropical Freeze:

President:
Michael Kelbaugh (Prime 2)

Producer:
Ryan Harris (Prime 2)

Designers:
Russell O'Henly (Prime 2), Bill Vandervoort (Prime 3), Jay Fuller (Prime 3), Brandon Salinas (Prime 3), Jonathan Delange (Prime 3).

Engineers:
Alex Quinones (Prime 1), Jim Gage (Prime 1), Ryan Cornelius (Prime 3), Andy Hanson (Prime 3), Jesse Spears (Prime 3), Aaron Walker (Prime 3).

Artists:
Chuck Crist (Prime 1), Ryan Powell (Prime 1), Luis Ramierez (Prime 1), Teague Schultz (Prime 2), Sean Horton (Prime 2), Matt Manchester (Prime 3), Thomas Robins (Prime 3), Amanda Rotella (Prime 3).

Animators:
Dax Pallotta (Prime 1), Stephen Zafros (Prime 1), Carlos Mendieta (Prime 2), Rapheal Perkins (Prime 3).

Audio:
Scott Petersen (Prime 2).

Keep in mind that the teams that worked on the original Prime games were much smaller than Retro is currently. Linkedin lists them as currently having about 130 employees. Nintendo and Retro have been hiring quite a bit lately, bringing in developers from the likes of Crytek, 343i, and DICE.

When can we expect the game to release?

This is the biggest question of all. Most reasonable people agree that the game will take a minimum of three years to make. This would align with what Tanabe said during an interview for Federation Force with Eurogamer (see the link from earlier). This would put us at a potential Holiday 2021 release. Past Prime games were made in 2 to 2.75 years, but this involved a lot of crunch and SD hardware. Retro themselves have never made an HD Metroid game before, and haven't released a new game in over 6 years now. Given the complexity of HD development, and with so many questions marks surrounding the game and Retro themselves, a 2022 release wouldn't be far fetched. Let's hope it doesn't slip beyond that.

Updates:

I will update this thread as new information becomes released. Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to add. Thanks to everyone who participates in this thread!

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is THE game that will get me to buy a Switch, or whatever console it ends up releasing on. Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite game ever, so I really just hope they make a proper sequel to that, with no motion controls. Just good old MP 2-2.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
who here preordered this on amazon prime before they discontinued the preorder discount

all i have is this and cyberpunk left lol

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean is safe to assume a good 3 years of development after that update video. So I'm realistically expecting something to come out in 2022.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You made this thread several years too early. I doubt this even comes out on the Switch.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Metroid Prime 4 will be a 2022 game. I feel it. Cross-release on Switch and Switch 2 with Switch 2 featuring an enhanced graphics patch

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to hear more. In the meantime I'll be playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy one more time on PC, but this time I'm using PrimeHack, which is a fork of the Dolphin emulator that enables genuine mouse/keyboard support and PC-specific features (complete with visor/weapon hotkeys, native-quality mouse aim with sensitivity options that go well beyond the original max, HUD/GUI elements that have been polished for HD resolutions, and even an FOV slider). Makes the whole experience feel fresh again, and I'd suggest it to anyone with a PC who's looking to revisit the trilogy before Prime 4 comes out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
FYI your "highlight to read" spoiler doesn't work on the dark theme for obvious reasons, and we have an actual spoiler tag. (not that anyone's going to be devastated by accidentally reading Fed Force spoilers, lol)

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
i feel this will be to the Switch what BOTW was to the WiiU.

the last great game and cross-system.

can't wait <3

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Can't wait to hear more. In the meantime I'll be playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy one more time on PC, but this time I'm using PrimeHack, which is a fork of the Dolphin emulator that enables genuine mouse/keyboard support and PC-specific features (complete with visor/weapon hotkeys, sensitivity options that go well beyond the original max, HUD/GUI elements that have been polished for HD resolutions, and even an FOV slider). Makes the whole experience feel fresh again, and I'd suggest it to anyone with a PC who's looking to revisit the trilogy before Prime 4 comes out.

+1 on this. PrimeHack is incredible.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the game I'm looking forward to the most on any system. I really hope it can make 2022 and that Retro's combination of new and old talent can make it stand tall with first 3 Primes. Especially 1 and 2.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like really discussing it yet because we know nothing, and it just gets me anxious because there is no barometer for speculation. This game means more to me than any coming out...and basically as much as any the last decade. The prime trilogy are my favorite games ever....1 specifically being my absolute favorite and it was the game to really seriously get me into the gaming hobby.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't even like really discussing it yet because we know nothing, and it just gets me anxious because there is no barometer for speculation. This game means more to me than any coming out...and basically as much as any the last decade. The prime trilogy are my favorite games ever....1 specifically being my absolute favorite and it was the game to really seriously get me into the gaming hobby.
at this point it's probably mostly about tracking dev hires and stuff. no need to let this turn into a madhouse like the Direct Speculation Threads^^

OP
OP
TheSpaceBetween
Jan 11, 2018
added a link to this thread in the First Party OT btw

Thanks!

I think about Retro and Prime 4 all the time and feel anxious too haha. All three games are among my GOATS as well, and I desperately want Prime 4 to deliver.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I hope after rebooting development they're not still trying to make Sylux happen.

No one gives a shit about Sylux except Tanabe. Just wipe the slate clean and make a first person Metroid game with a cool new setting.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I hope after rebooting development they're not still trying to make Sylux happen.

No one gives a shit about Sylux except Tanabe. Just wipe the slate clean and make a first person Metroid game with a cool new setting.
Tanabe is still running the show, so if he wants sylux, it's sylux.

Oct 25, 2017
Subscribed
JBLzcK0.gif

A little part of my soul dies every time a general direct passes with no news about Trilogy HD
4 needs time, but Trilogy...please...

Just taking a moment to say Sylux sux. SUX.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 will release in 2021, I just know it. I'll have a great time playing this 2022 title in 2023. It'll be so great that it will win game of the year in 2024.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I hope that Prime Trilogy HD comes out this year, that will satisfy me while I wait until 2022 for this game.

OP
OP
TheSpaceBetween
Jan 11, 2018

I wonder after the failure of Federation Force, and now with the initial failure of Metroid Prime 4, if Nintendo will reign Tanabe in a bit. He's never been Director of the Prime games but Retro kinda has always had to do what he says... Prime 2 and 3 were supposed to be MUCH different than they ended up being. I wish Retro were allowed to just make a really weird Metroid game.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Minor thing..I hope they use the more grounded/realistic take on Samus without the helmet like in Prime 1 and not the stylized, hideous Prime 2 look.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
This is THE game that will get me to buy a Switch, or whatever console it ends up releasing on. Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite game ever, so I really just hope they make a proper sequel to that, with no motion controls. Just good old MP 2-2.
The handling of the controls is my biggest doubt. I loved using the pointer in the Wii, so a remaster of Trilogy would feel weird if they dropped them instead of offering options for both.

That said, they didn't have a problem dropping motion for BotW after SS, so who knows.

Look at Zero Suit Samus. That's what Samus' face will look like.
Yeah. If there's any game changing Samus' internal appearance, it's going to be a japanese entry, numbered or not.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The handling of the controls is my biggest doubt. I loved using the pointer in the Wii, so a remaster of Trilogy would feel weird if they dropped them instead of offering options for both.

That said, they didn't have a problem dropping motion for BotW after SS, so who knows.

Yeah. If there's any game changing Samus' internal appearance, it's going to be a japanese entry, numbered or not.
Prime 4 will have gyro aim. That's not even a question. BotW had gyro aim, after they had been refining the benefits of motion aiming for various items since Twilight Princess. The only thing they dropped was motion-based Sword combat which was tailored to that one game.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my most anticipated game but it's sort of like Half-Life 3 where it's slipped from my mind until we learn more about it. It might as well not exist right now.

OP
OP
TheSpaceBetween
Jan 11, 2018
One of the things I'm most excited for is the new suit designs, and also hopefully visors will make their return. I wonder where they can really go with them. I also really loved the sound effects for some of the visors, particularly the thermal visor: