• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Metroid is my favorite series so odds are I'll like Prime 4 a lot as long as the REALLY don't fuck it up.

However, do you think it will arrive to the same level of acclaim as Odyssey or BotW? I'm not so sure.

On one hand, the press release indicates that Nintendo knows EXACTLY what most fans want from Metroid games and definitely took Other M's criticism to heart.

On the other hand, Retro is no longer involved, and on top of that they are reluctant to reveal who is developing it.

I don't know, I feel like I've seen lots of people think it's another automatic critical darling, but after everything Metroid has been through in the past 10 years, including the Prime Trilogy itself starting to lose its way by Prime 3 (don't get me wrong I fucking love P3), I don't want to make any premature assumptions that the game will be a masterpiece.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its going to be a 1st person metroid on HD hardware so it'll have a grander scale is what im guessing. Other than that I agree with imran

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
No we shouldn't make assumptions that the game will be a masterpiece.

Keep them far lower. Best way to avoid disappointment.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expectations should be at least the distance from Earth to Neptune honestly

This'll be rated M, there will be blood, the color scheme will be dark purples and black only, and there will be no dialogue in the entire game

let's go

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Have they confirmed that Retro is not involved?

Zelda and Mario are Nintendo's biggest franchises, and they take very good care of them. Nintendo invested in BoTW to make it completely new, because they knew it would sell and be praised. Metroid, while is loved by many fans, it's unknown if Nintendo care about it as much. They have made excellent games, and the fact that they announced Prime 4 means that at least they are listening to fans.

My expectations right now are blank. I want to compare the idea of Prime 4 as the others, but I want Nintendo to do new things and let them surprise me with innovations that they could come up with. I think the expectations will settle once we see the first trailer.

I would like a cinematic experience. I don't want a whiney Samus like other M, but I want a cinematic experience like Killzone 2, for example. I would also like a way to combine first person and third person (even 2.5D, like other M) in a clever way. For everything else, just stick to Prime 1 as a layout for 4.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of my own expectations, which are tempered with skepticism after Other M, I think expectations in general will be extremely high. It's not even about Metroid or the Prime series, it's the Switch and the standard that Mario and Zelda have set. It's just the cost of being on such a wildly successful platform with an audience like Nintendo fans.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Nintendo has set the bar of quality for first party releases, there is no reason to believe this focus on quality will be any different for MP4.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
The Metroid to top all Metroids? Possible.

Also why do people keep asking if Retro is involved? Always confuses me and kinda annoys me the longer I think about it.

They aren't the only ones who have the capability to put out a good Metroid game.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Fair point. I basically meant "do you think it will live up to BotW/SMO or even the original Prime?" but could've worded it better
Probably not. There is no bigger cross-section of people more susceptible to being disappointed than hardcore fans of Metroid games and people who have been waiting for a return to something they liked nearly two decades ago.

The people who made Metroid Prime are scattershot - some are gone, some remain at Retro, some have left for other developers entirely. MP4 is being made by a developer who hasn't been named yet, so literally all we have to go on is an assumption of Nintendo's oversight of a AA-AAA game (of which the last real example was...Bayonetta 2?) and series pedigree.

Based on that, I can safely say: who knows.

Nov 4, 2017
Absolutely not. It's an entirely new team working on the series for the first time. No one even knows what team it is yet.

Expect them to try their best to make a fun game and don't expect impossible standards. It's not going to automatically be EAD level. That way you just might enjoy the game and not be wildly let down.

Just to put this in perspective for people, Next Level Games worked on Metroid Federation Force and Blast Ball. Next Level Games had already proven they were one of the best teams ever on the 3DS with Luigi's Mansion 2, and they worked on Federation Force as their 2nd game on the 3DS, meaning they had experience on it. Mercury Steam was working on Samus Returns after already making Lords of Shadow 2 for 3DS, a game that is also a "vania" title, on the 3DS, meaning they had experience in the genre and the system.

Prime 4, we have an unknown, unproven team working on a new system for the first time.

javadoze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting a Metroid Prime game with some cool new gameplay additions.

Expecting anything on par with a BotW-style evolution is setting the bar too high.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Metroid fans are ready to something that shakes the formula up like BotW did. Actually, we've gotten so many Metroid experiments in the last 10 years (Prime Hunters, Metroid Pinball, Other M, Federation Force) as opposed to proper titles (Prime 3, 3DS Metroid 2) that I don't think we even need something ground breaking. Just give us a solid Prime 4 that hearkens back to what Super metroid and Prime 1 did and everyone will lose their shit and praise the lord.

Metroid games are like Star Fox games, too many experimental titles and not enough ones giving fans what they want.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
I don't expect something botw-esque, but I absolutely expect something good. If the rumors of Bamco being the developer turn out to be real, I think they will follow the Sakurai development model of Sm4sh, in which Masahiro and Michiko Sakurai directed and managed the game while the development team was formed by Bamco workers. Tanabe would direct in Prime's scenario, I guess.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the way Tanabe has talked about the series recently, I'm gonna guess that there'll be more of the galactic federation.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Fair point. I basically meant "do you think it will live up to BotW/SMO or even the original Prime?" but could've worded it better
Why don't you, I don't know.. wait until you actually know literally anything about it to make this question first? We don't even know what it will look like, let alone if it'll live up to expectations.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel BotW is the greatest game ever made so that is a mighty high bar. I hope it will at least have as tight of gameplay systems as those two titles.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to be so good it'll change my pants for me after I cream in them from playing it.

It'll have high end PC graphics from 5 years from now (and 60fps)
It'll be darker and more M for mature than suicide discussions
It'll be 100 hours long
And all critics will name it game of the year, for eternity

Nov 4, 2017
Metroid fans should just feel lucky that they are getting a game. Instead of dissecting it, they should just try and actually enjoy it.

They already shot down Team Ninja, Next Level Games, and Mercury Steam - 3 experienced, talented studios of developers were apparently not good enough for this fan base to even have a good time.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should we assume a game will get a 96+ meta?

Gonna say no.

I'm fact I'm expecting a merely decent game that misses the point of what makes Metroid great.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I'm trying to go in mostly blind and not set many expectations.

I find I enjoy video games in general more that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.