• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

___

Developer on C&D concerns raised in this thread.

We are not fearful of retribution from Nintendo for various reasons, the primary being that if we worry about what could happen everyday we'd never get anything done. Another is that precident is in our favor, while Nintendo certainly could C&D us, the likelihood of that actually happening is next to zero. Also, since we're not distributing any of their assets we're not breaking any laws, so from a fair-use standpoint we're in the clear. Finally, I see mention of "Clean Room" reverse engineering, while we're not using the traditional methods (one team analyzing, another reimplementing), we're reducing Nintendo's legal footprint as much as possible by only recreating as close to 1:1 the subystems that would not behave properly otherwise.

In conclusion, while Nintendo certainly could C&D us, we're not going to let that rule our lives, but we're also not going to give Nintendo any ammo to come after us (we're not asking for donations, nor are we asking for monetary compensation).

Our source code will always be public for audits.

Built from decompiling the code of the original game and reinterpreting it for modem PCs. It's a standalone engine that doesn't contain any Prime assets (source port).

To simplify: this is just a bundle of code that you will slot Metroid Prime into. On its own it has nothing from Metroid Prime in it just like other source ports like OpenMW.

Real impressive stuff!

Last edited:

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been following this project for quite a while - super impressed with the Prime engine reverse engineering effort! Fools will say that it's no different than Dolphin, but this will run natively on far inferior hardware, and is a greater resource for the burgeoning Prime hacking community.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Bloody hell, that's astonishing =O

But err yeah could be getting a cease and desist very easily sadly. Is a shame as mouse + keyboard Metroid Prime would be a treat

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
So let's say this is bug-free. Would it be a better experience to play the game through this or through Dolphin?

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this will be an engine reimplementation like CorsixTH and need the original game assets to be practical?

Awesome. I'm looking forward to this

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
5b79VHf.gif

This is an impressive project. Can't imagine the amount of work put into it. Technical skillset required got to be pretty comprehensive.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's okay to admit you didn't understand what you just watched.
I mean...even if the assets aren't from Metroid Prime, the sound effects and music sound exactly like...Metroid Prime lol.
And if you recreate something 1 to 1 it's still a massive grey zone regarding intellectual property.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the benefit of this compared to emulating in Dolphin?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It kinda sounds like this is something akin to a source port, would that be right?

If so, doesn't seem like something Nintendo would have any right to take down.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...even if the assets aren't from Metroid Prime, the sound effects and music sound exactly like...Metroid Prime lol.
And if you recreate something 1 to 1 it's still a massive grey zone regarding intelectual property.

When they say assets they mean everything including audio. This project is just code: no music, textures, models or scripts are being redistributed from Nintendo's IP.

It kinda sounds like this is something akin to a source port, would that be right?

If so, doesn't seem like something Nintendo would have any right to take down.

Exactly!

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool technical project, but I have to questions its legality. While he isn't distributing any assets, redistributing decompiled code or code that is copied or heavily based on decompiled code seems somewhat illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but I hope this guy is careful.

I'd love to get my hands on that source though.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool technical project, but I have to questions its legality. While he isn't distributing any assets, redistributing decompiled code or code that is copied or heavily based on decompiled code seems somewhat illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but I hope this guy is careful.

I'd love to get my hands on that source though.
it's not illegal to create your own code based off of something you looked at to get a sense of how it works

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the real reason this exists is to be able to edit the game to create new areas and content. i've been following things since the start of the Prime World Editor days and this approach facilitates a lot of the potential modding possible with the game due to not having to deal with the limited original engine. it'd be possible to also combine all 3 games if the assets from the other 2 games get implemented eventually.
having the ability to run it with way lower system settings is also a pretty good plus.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When they say assets they mean everything including audio. This project is just code: no music, textures, models or scripts are being redistributed from Nintendo's IP.
That's cool but again, it's still a grey zone regarding intellectual property. When I make something and another company looks at how I made it, makes the exact same thing but maybe with different materials and calls it differently, people would still be inclined to call that plagiarism. It's the sole purpose why patents exist. You can't patent a game or sound effects though.
These fans did not come up with any music, enemy/ leveldesign or even an ounce of the presented gameplay. You're still playing Metroid Prime.
"piracy" when the entire thing is made from scratch with completely original assets in every sense of the way?

it's a fan remake aiming to recreate the thing very, very accurately with entirely original assets
It's still Metroid Prime. You still play Samus against space pirates in the same corridors with the same music and the same beam and morphball upgrades, with the same bosses. Yes, it's "original" assets. It's still Metroid Prime® lol.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's still Metroid Prime. You still play Samus against space pirates in the same corridors with the same music and the same beam and morphball upgrades, with the same bosses. Yes, it's "original" assets. It's still Metroid Prime® lol.
Only if you use this engine to play your ripped copy of Metroid Prime. You provide the assets that you're accusing this program of providing. This is functionally identical to the legality of console emulators.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm retracting this, it sounds just like Doom 64 EX or other similar projects, which aren't illegal AFAIK.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool but again, it's still a grey zone regarding intellectual property. When I make something and another company looks at how I made it, makes the exact same thing but maybe with different materials and calls it differently, people would still be inclined to call that plagiarism. It's the sole purpose why patents exist. You can't patent a game or sound effects though.
These fans did not come up with any music, enemy or leveldesign. You're still playing Metroid Prime.

it's not illegal to remake things as a fan with original assets. people have remade pokemon fire red in minecraft, but they didn't get C&D'd.

legality is not the question here. it is legal. it is whether or not nintendo feels threatened enough by fan projects to shut them down or not.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
These fans did not come up with any music, enemy/ leveldesign or even an ounce of the presented gameplay. You're still playing Metroid Prime.

They aren't distributing the actual copy written anything. They're distributing code that they wrote. You can't use it per se without assets that are copy protected, but how one gets those is beyond the scope of this project. Obj-dumping a binary isn't protected. you're talking about things that are irrelevant to the project.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

From what I understand, this isn't a remake. It's more akin to a source port, which is basically a software "adapter" that sits between your modern PC and your copy of the game in question. It facilitates playing the game, but like an emulator it doesn't use any of the game itself, so it's legally in the clear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Because source ports are awesome?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Let me put this in another way. This project is a like the homebrew DVD player for the Wii. It does not contain the content of my Lord of the Rings disc, it just plays it on another platform.

Nothing from Prime is in this project. It just can run the game if someone puts Metroid Prime content into it.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's not illegal to create your own code based off of something you looked at to get a sense of how it works

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say definitively, but there seems to be something legally dubious about distributing this code. In school we were taught to take half hour breaks between looking at another person's code and starting to work on our own, so we wouldn't inadvertently plagiarize. This would seem to fall under a similar umbrella.

I don't know the author should stop, and I think it's awesome that he's gotten the help and support of the original devs. However, I also think he shouldn't be surprised when Nintendo comes knocking on his door.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only if you use this engine to play your ripped copy of Metroid Prime. You provide the assets that you're accusing this program of providing. This is functionally identical to the legality of console emulators.
Console emulators are also a grey zone, always have been.
it's not illegal to remake things as a fan with original assets. people have remade pokemon fire red in minecraft, but they didn't get C&D'd.

legality is not the question here. it is legal. it is whether or not nintendo feels threatened enough by fan projects to shut them down or not.
I never said it's illegal.
I would feel threatened if someone gives people something for free I would like to sell in the future. Most people don't give a fuck with what assets they play as long they can play.
They aren't distributing the actual copy written anything. They're distributing code that they wrote. You can't use it per se without assets that are copy protected, but how one gets those is beyond the scope of this project. Obj-dumping a binary isn't protected. you're talking about things that are irrelevant to the project.
Of course. Provide all the tools for pirating shit but not distributing the piracy themselves, so legally it's not piracy. Nothing new here. And of course it's irrelevant. Always is.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand, this isn't a remake. It's more akin to a source port, which is basically a software "adapter" that sits between your modern PC and your copy of the game in question. It facilitates playing the game, but like an emulator it doesn't use any of the game itself, so it's legally in the clear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Because source ports are awesome?
I never claimed it's not legally in the clear. It's still scummy lol. Kudos to their technical accomplishment though.
Not in the US, ever since Sony v. Connectix.
I'm speaking morally here, not legally.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I like how one of the devs from Prime tweeted about how cool this is, but the "experts" on here jumped on the "IT'S PIRACY"

Lighten up.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there is someone shitting up a cool thread with their hand wringing on Nintendo's behalf when even an original dev of the engine is supportive of this.