• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
If you go to https://www.nintendo.com/products/detail/switch-skin-super-metroid/ for some bizarre reason there's a screenshot of a kid playing Metroid: Samus Returns on Switch.
IMG_20201111_053357.jpg

Could be a mistake of course but, it's certainly odd. 🤔

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Could be a mistake of course but, it's certainly odd. 🤔

Not really. That's probably among the only HD art of an existing metroid product that the graphic designer was handed. That art was made in HD (as in the other thread, we've had access to that for ages), and the only other competition it could have had is from federation force or other m, lol.

It's really going to be nothing.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Most likely they just wanted a shot to go along with the Metroid skin.
They could've just used Super Metroid on the SNES app though? Cause this is specifically a Super Metroid skin set.

It's a mock up, so I wouldn't say it really points to anything definitely but it's odd they chose that photo. Maybe a miscommunication or something

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I think they just went for the most recent game for an image to sell this and it doesn't have anything to do with a real game. Would the team behind the marketing material for this accessory even have this kind of information?

Also, if they spent the last three years porting a 3DS game instead of making a new 2D game (or remake, like Samus Returns), I'll be very disappointed.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's showing off an internet browser and it's depicting the natural state of Metroid fans: longingly looking at artwork of the series online while waiting for a new entry. Quite poetic really.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's not a Nintendo product and not their images. They just officially license it, so have it for sale on their store.

Nintendo Switch Skin, Super Metroid

Nintendo switch; joy-con; joy-con grip skin; screen protector; Skin; gaming; console; video game; sticker; decal; vinyl; accessories; bundle skin; Nintendo; decal; accessory; custom; Dock skin; Metroid; Super Metroid

This is nothing.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...Why would they use Samus Returns for Super Metroid console skins when you can literally play Super Metroid on the Switch.

Because it's a high resolution piece of artwork the graphic designer could shop in after the photo was taken and have it clearly visible.

They're not photographing someone playing a game ever in pictures like these.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey I'll take it. The game itself was ace, and I'd love to have it on Switch.
Because it's a high resolution piece of artwork the graphic designer could shop in after the photo was taken and have it clearly visible.

They're not photographing someone playing a game ever in pictures like these.
Remember when people did framerate analysis from the original Switch Trailer thinking it was genuine footage filmed from the screen... man that was a hoot.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
promo pic may have been created by the manufacturer (controller gear)

all of the photos look very obviously shopped in a way that resembles pics from most third party accessory manufacturers

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The screenshot they use is of notably higher res than the 3DS version of that same shot.

Don't suspect this means anything yet, but...

Edit: nvm apparently that art is available

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
...Why would they use Samus Returns for Super Metroid console skins when you can literally play Super Metroid on the Switch.
They could've just used Super Metroid on the SNES app though? Cause this is specifically a Super Metroid skin set.

It's a mock up, so I wouldn't say it really points to anything definitely but it's odd they chose that photo. Maybe a miscommunication or something
Since it's newer they most likely had a HD image of Sami's Returns that they could slap onto the ad instead of going to get one from Super Metroid. Also that game is old and probably didn't want 16bit sprite work as the picture.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'd laugh my ass off if the supposed new 2d Metroid is samus returns *deluxe*

And then I'd be disappointed

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
That is just a hastily thrown together image of a Metroid game shopped onto the switch lol

Jun 2, 2019
I would double dip

An excellent update for an excellent game, sure it miss the point in some regards, but it's still a beautiful and fun game.

I legitimately pity those who didn't play it because that Switch has been already released bullshit.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
People forgetting that a third party marketing team for an accessory would have no knowledge of a new first party game is amazing to me. There are people who believe the game IS on that Switch in the photo!

I mean, could a port be possible? Sure, it might exist and come in 2021 to celebrate the anniversary. Does this accessory have anything to do with the port? Not in the slightest.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Why does Nintendo have to treat us this way? Little clue here, little nudge there; whispers in the wind, seeds of hope all around.

Fuck lol!

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
It doesn't seem a confirmation if it....but if all they can come up with after all these years is a remake of a 3 year old game I would be extremely disappointed

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I'd stick with my 3ds copy even if this ended up being the case ( and I'm not saying that image is evidence of a pending release). Give me either a new 2D Metroid or a complete remake of Super Metroid for the anniversary next year.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Gosh, I hope not. We haven't had a Metroid game for years before Samus Returns andwe get a remaster of the most recent one? No thanks. I also played through it at least three times already.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Literally what i think happened is that a company asked Nintendo for some Metroid assets and someone in Nintendo sent the most recent stuff they had

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They have the nerve to sell metroid skins before selling metroid games they are not embarrassed of using in promotional material. There is something they should be proud of.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'd take it for 60 fps and 1080p on the big screen.

the fps dip in Samus Returns was the only thing i disliked. i need my Metroid games with 60 fps.

edit: i'm aware that this is 99% a hoax but it'd be nice for SR to get proper exposure instead of being sent to die on 3DS post Switch release.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So it's nothing? Oh well... would be nice to have this on Switch, but I'm planning to get a 3DS soon anyway so I'll most likely just play it there.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see if Nintendo crosses yet another line and charges 60 dollars for this too haha.

If it's a nice value for the package, I'd buy it. I didn't play it on the 3DS.

EDIT: Oh okay, seems like it's nothing.