NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Possibly the best 2D Metroid ever made and, by extension, the best Metroidvania ever made

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Too bad it sold so badly it killed the franchise for a long timeā€¦ it's amazing!

I need a remake of Super Metroid in the Dread engine though! šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really, really good Metroid. But upon more recent playthroughs I have a few nitpicks that have moved it below Fusion and Super for me.

The length is too short, and it's way too easy. I also feel that some of the sprite work, mostly the backgrounds, don't quite work for me. Too bright and colorful. But they may have been out of necessity with the GBA's awful screen. I also feel like that art choice along with the music removes some of the inherent weird/creep factor that the NES Metroid has. But I'd still play ZM over the NES original easily. I find playing OG Metroid to be borderline impossible and incredibly tedious.

I absolutely love the box and various promo art for Zero Mission though. Fucking love that shadowing/color style.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my second favorite after Super. I just hate that it created the Zero Suit.

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
My favorite 2D entry and still have my Complete in box copy. Loved every bit of it and speed running it was fun. Use to play it once a year for about a decade.

Dirigibleduck

Jul 27, 2023
I like it more than fusion or dread but less than super. Maybe about the same as 2/AM2R.

The "go here" dots on the map that started in fusion and continued here I am not crazy about, but everything else about the game is cool.

Lots of shinespark puzzles I have no interest in though.

Ditto for me. Nothing will ever top Super Metroid, but I do love the GBA Metroid games for their tight controls and music.

Zero Mission is a must-play, but I hesitate to say anyone should play it before playing Super Metroid.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
This and Aria of Sorrow are the absolute peak of the genre, as far as I'm concerned. Complex enough to where the first playthrough takes some decent time and consideration, but simple and snappy enough to where you can do a real speedrun of the game in a couple of sittings after you've beaten it. Fun every minute from beginning to end. An absolute chef's kiss of a game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Actually the first Metroid game I ever finished. What a game! Have played them all since then in one form or another. Still need to get to Prime 2 and 3 (and Other M I guess), but what a terrific series of games, and this one was one of the most memorable for me.

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
I remember constantly running through this game one summer. Genuinely one of my favorite games and definitely up there as one of the best remakes. Hope it's brought to NSO so more people can experience it.

Unfortunate there's not a lot of affinity for it in comparison to the other entries. Probably since it was on handheld and was released towards the end of the GBA's lifecycle.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
It feels like a compact version of Super. I dislike the more limited movement and being directly pointed towards the next goal, but the pacing and presentation are great (especially for being on GBA).

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Finally nailing all the Shinespark puzzles in Zero Mission is one of the most satisfying things I've ever accomplished in any game. The design of those puzzles is godly.

Also, probably the most improved remake compared to the original of all time. NES Metroid is my least favorite game in the series, Zero Mission is in the top 4 for me.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Played it for the first time this year alongside Fusion and tbh it may be the best Metroid game, absolute banger...Except that prolonged stealth segment, fuck that lmao hated it

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Love this game. Still waiting for it to show up on NSO Expansion Pack.

Nov 28, 2017
It was many firsts for me. First Metroid. First GBA game I owned. First videogame played mid-flight lol. I should revisit this one.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
The last 2d metroid with a strong focus on exploration (before getting to chozodia), awesome game

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I got into Metroid at the end of the WiiU's life and I played them all except for Zero Mission because by then I had a Switch and I figured I'd get it on Switchā€¦ still waiting, Nintendo.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I played it 2 or 3 years ago, and absolutely loved it.
Zero Mission was my introduction to the series. After that, I played AM2R, but I've taken a break from the series since, though I obviously still intend to play Super Metroid next.

I understand the zero suit part was not in the original, but it really made for a suspenseful, climactic ending imo.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best remakes ever made. GBA was such a beast and we were really feasting with the Castlevania trilogy and the two Metroid titles.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Good time to shadow drop it in the next full direct alongside Prime 4 release date (I know people are expecting Prime 2/3 but I see zero chance that's happening any time before Prime 4)