• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I will be going to Mexico in March (~18 days) for our honeymoon and I've got a couple of questions / seeking recommendations.

We are landing in Mexico City and would like to stay there at least 2 full days (booked a hotel near the plaza Zocalo already), getting into the Mexican mood, visiting the two major temples, plazas and some of the museums (recommendations on anything specific are welcome).

Our hope is then to take a flight to Tuxtla Gutierrez, in order to visit the Chiapas region (we were interested in Oaxaca too but it starts being a lot for the length of our stay).
I've read about San Cristobal, the canyon and lakes but would be very interested in hearing some local advice on what to see and where to stay (especially for cenotes, lakes and nice vistas on the way).

One big issue is transport... we want to rent a car at the Tuxtla airport and keep it for the rest of our stay in Mexico (we are departing from Cancun airport and will leave the car there).
Now we've taken a look at car rentals and the one-way drop off fee is quite high (~500$, doubles the price of the rental more or less) : do any of you know of local companies who do not apply this fee or any other way to circumvent it via more local alternatives?
Unfortunately we would lose a lot of time going back to Tuxtla to drop off the car after visiting the region (we'd like to go east towards the border with Guatemala/Belize & the Palenque area) and want to avoid losing a full day for that, flights aren't exactly legion between Tuxtla and Cancun either so we couldn't find a practical way to do it. The car rental seems like the most fitting plan.

We will then look to drive out of the Chiapas region from Palenque and head towards Isla del Carmen and then onward to the Campeche region / the Yucatan peninsula.
Here our planning is more open and we'd like to visit the Temples, do some beach/snorkling for a few days and anything else that might be recommended.

Hoping to find some good advice (areas, cities, food, hotel, etc.), so feel free to respond here or directly via PM. Every

Muchas gracias !

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The National Antrhopology Museum might be my favorite museum in the world. Pair that with a visit to El Hidalguense and get some incredible barbacoa. Mexico City is a fantastic city for food. For fine dining, I really liked Contramar (seafood). I also really enjoyed getting churros and hot chocolate at El Moro. Also, late-night tacos from this guy's bubbling vat of meats was a lot of fun.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Well, if you were going to central Mexico I could help you (region Bajío here), but nevertheless I wish you a nice tour.

Do not skip on tacos (sadly I cannot recommend you a place there) nor chaskas (or "esquite en vaso" as they are called on most regions) if you want a snack, they are sold practically everywhere in the cities around Mexico:

images

Have fun!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Visit Coyoacán while in Mexico City! There are a ton of things to see (and eat) there. Art museums, street markets, local coffee shops, restaurants, it's maybe my favourite place to go.