• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
AMLO got a lot of hype online in the last Mexican presidential election for... I was never really clear on the exact reason as to why as his policies seemed very vague, but he was Jeremy Corbyn's friend I guess?

But he just seems like a total fucking asshole. Today, after several journalists have been assassinated during his term, he had a press conference about defending journalists from assassinations... During the press conference, he said he would continue to use the term "prensa fifi" which I believe means... "pussy press" which is... That's like Trump level asshole. Insulting the press for being pussies right after several of them have been assassinated is..... that's a lot. Especially during a press conference about... stopping journalists from getting assassinated.

Beyond today's trash fire, he's been willing to slander the press constantly in his term and it's really freaky.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/amlo-lopez-obrador-mexico-media-criticism-reforma.html

What's going on with this guy, why did he get hype in the first place?

Last edited:

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
He likes to attack, but not been attacked, he likes to question, but not been questioned, etc.

He has done a lot of very dubious decisions in line with the previous governments in levels of corruption, but oh well, their supporters see him as a god that can do no wrong.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I dont know why you use "got" in past. He has the highest approval rate of any latin american president. Its on the high 60s i think.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is coming off a very (deservedly) contentious presidency and ran as an anti-establishment candidate. Basically, he has a lot of goodwill behind his back due to the mismanagement of previous administrations. We'll see how he handles the position once the honeymoon period peters off.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I dont know why you use "got" in past. He has the highest approval rate of any latin american president. Its on the high 60s i think.

His approval rating is very high now but that seemed like it was because he's a socially conservative, economically liberal strongman type that is generally popular.

His internet hype has massively died down.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Because he is a garbage fire, we just have gotten used to him over decades of having him as a political figure and corrupt politicians have been such a gigantic problem for mexico for a long time to the point we have become numb to it, so a significant portion of the country voted for him because "im sick of the same old corrupt bastards, let's vote for this guy, he might also end up being as corrupt, but at least he will hurt the old guard for a change". That's literally something several people told me during the elections.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Because he is a garbage fire, we just have gotten used to him over decades of having him as a political figure and corrupt politicians have been such a gigantic problem for mexico for a long time to the point we have become numb to it, so a significant portion of the country voted for him because "im sick of the same old corrupt bastards, let's vote for this guy, he might also end up being as corrupt, but at least he will hurt the old guard for a change". That's literally something several people told me during the elections.
I once was told that it was "good corruption" so we are better lol

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
"Fifi" is more like snobbish. Which in this context means "the ones that aren't in my side"

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His approval rating is very high now but that seemed like it was because he's a socially conservative, economically liberal strongman type that is generally popular.

His internet hype has massively died down.

Internet hype? In a country with 50 million people in poverty?

And fifi does not mean pussy????? Where are you even getting that from????
Fifi means bourgeoisie, yuppie, rich. Much of the press is aligned to those values in México.

And his popularity remains the highest ever for a president.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me go off a little:

AMLO is less popular with certain type of internet-savvy individuals because he is prioritizing the needs of the people in the poverty line. He is not prioritizing the needs of the middle class, which is normally the people that spend more time on the internet. The airport is a good example of this: 77% of mexicans have never take a flight.

So what you get on the internet is a bunch of rich to middle class kids whining about things like the slashing of social programs (some of them used for corruption schemes) they never even were familiar with. The equivalent of libertarian kids crying about Planned Parenthood not getting enough funds (not saying PP is corrupt) .

Has MORENA being a disappointment so far when it comes to certain aspects of pushing a more socially liberal agenda? Yes, but at least we won't get a Bolsonaro backlash.

Has Obrador made less transparent decisions when it comes to contracts and stuff? Yes, hardly as shady as before but definitely not in sync with many of his promises.

But he is far from being Trumpian.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Internet hype? In a country with 50 million people in poverty?

And fifi does not mean pussy????? Where are you even getting that?????
Fifi means bourgeoisie, yuppie, rich. Much of the press is aligned to those values in México.

And his popularity remains the highest ever for a president.

"fifi" means a fleshlight made in prison in the US and I couldn't find a meaning in Mexico.

And uhhhhhh, calling the press entitled or rich... While they're getting assassinated is.... still incredibly bad.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"fifi" means a fleshlight made in prison in the US and I couldn't find a meaning in Mexico.

And uhhhhhh, calling the press entitled or rich... While they're getting assassinated is.... still incredibly bad.

He is not calling *that* press fifi. The reporters that get killed are normally local reporters from small newspapers that report on drug activity.

When he says "prensa fifí" he is talking about Reforma, El Universal, El Economista...all of them are right wing orientated.

If you went to the comments section of some of the major newspapers' Facebook pages I mentioned you would read blatant antisemitism, homophobia, murderous transphobia. Even people supporting Trump over Obrador...these newspapers pander to this type of readers.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
He is not calling *that* press fifi. The reporters that get killed are normally local reporters from small newspapers that report on drug activity.

When he says "prensa fifí" he is talking about Reforma, El Universal, El Economista...all of them are right wing orientated.

.... Okay.

That's a yikes from me, dude.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

AMLO is gonna incite an international incident. He's demanding the King of Spain to apologise for the conquest.

Fifí is a common name for dogs, particularly poodles or other "high class" breeds. The idea AMLO is playing with calling people "fifí" is that they are bourgeois.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
He likes to attack, but not been attacked, he likes to question, but not been questioned, etc.

He has done a lot of very dubious decisions in line with the previous governments in levels of corruption, but oh well, their supporters see him as a god that can do no wrong.

Pretty much this. But prepare to have him all over the place again for the 2021 election.

There are so many bullshit things he, but specially his party has done, that is just outrageous that he has this high approval rating.

But the rest of the parties reap what they sow. This profound hate for the parties will make people forgive everything AMLO and his party does.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Ah, same as the people that voted for El Bronco in Nuevo León.

Oct 29, 2017
Comparing him to Trump has always been sus given the specifics around far-right ideology and white supremacy that are specific to Trump. A more accurate descriptor would be populist, which AMLO is.

AMLO is his own kind of mess and should be described in his own terms. "Trumpian" is a catchy soundbyte but pidgeonholes things into Americanized perspectives that don't always line up, and in the process we lose context.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
His party has been pushing LGBT rights and he's not as bad as Trump in any way or form.

Considering how bad the usual politicians are, this is as good as it gets.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
His party has been pushing LGBT rights and he's not as bad as Trump in any way or form.

Yes, his cartilla moral is very pro-LGBT rights.

/s

MORENA literally went together with PES. And PES somehow is even worse than PAN for LGBT rights or anything that is social left.
I guess PAN (Catholics) vs PES (Evangelics) would be the easier way to explain it.

Thankfully PES lost it's register, even if they are trying really hard to not.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
He's doing a good job. Or if you are just trying to spread bullshit around like the hypocrites in the "prensa fifi", go nuts.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018

Jesus christ, he's the opposite of Trump. Let's put it this way, imagine that an older and more experienced AOC became president of the USA, and the right and billionares go on a rampage trying to damage her image at every chance they can get for attempting to undo 36 years of economic policy that favors a few, massive damage to the economy, all done by right-wing governments. This includes handing over the country's most precious resources, like oil, to the US.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

/s

MORENA literally went together with PES. And PES somehow is even worse than PAN for LGBT rights or anything that is social left.
I guess PAN (Catholics) vs PES (Evangelics) would be the easier way to explain it.

you are literally telling a LGBTQ member his opinion on LBGTQ matters is wrong :s

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

This logic could literally apply to trump voters. "He's a crook but at least he'll punish the elites even though he's also in the elites."

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Comparing him to Trump has always been sus given the specifics around far-right ideology and white supremacy that are specific to Trump. A more accurate descriptor would be populist, which AMLO is.

AMLO is his own kind of mess and should be described in his own terms. "Trumpian" is a catchy soundbyte but pidgeonholes things into Americanized perspectives that don't always line up, and in the process we lose context.

Or a left wing trump. Which is better to me but not good either.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also i thought this op would be more about his changes and policies and not "he calls the press fifis!" lol

Oct 27, 2017
I will never respect a head of state that calls names on the press, even if they suck. One thing is that we the citizens do it, but it is very different that the leader of a nation does it. He should handle it gracefully, not scream fake news or fifís or whatever.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
He has always been trashfire, you just weren't paying attention more closely i assume.

Also he even made it sound too nice, Fifi is just what he will say against people that attack him to pretend their opinion doesn't matter.

Fifis are the alt-right of Mexico, and "prensa fifi" refers to the Fox News, breitbarts, etc of the country. Press paid by the conservstive establishment to help them stay in power.

Prensa fifi are not victims of violence against them, they are part of that establishment. The liberal leftist press, on the other hand, is.

I assume most people here don't live in Mexico? Or are here just to spread bullshit? Or just like to shit on other countries? Or maybe Mexicans on Era are mostly butthurt fifis, which would be pretty hypocritical and hilarious.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The bar in Mexico (In all Latam really) is so low when it comes to decent politicians, AMLO is better than most. Most rich Mexicans hate him, because he seems to care about the poor people (Pls notice I said seems), while the other parties are the ones responsible for 50 million Mexicans living in poverty.
Pls remember Mexico has lots and lots of Petroleum.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Still wouldn't agree. Again, Trumpism is rooted on white supremacy. A head of state blasting the media or lowest-common-denominator rhetoric isn't unique to Trump. That's demagoguery.

Trump is in a way exlusive to the USA because, im not saying there is no racism in mexico, but most countries do not experience racism the same way as the USA, in mexico there was never the same levels of segregation, basically you cannot replicate trump 1:1 in mexico because the ways racism happens in Mexico are different from the ways racism happens in the USA.

Oct 25, 2017

/s

Obviously PES and PAN can get fucked, but Morena has been pretty progressive when it comes to LGBT rights and that's as good as it's getting for us, so I'll take it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

AMLO is gonna incite an international incident. He's demanding the King of Spain to apologise for the conquest.

Fifí is a common name for dogs, particularly poodles or other "high class" breeds. The idea AMLO is playing with calling people "fifí" is that they are bourgeois.

The Spanish crown only exists because the Fascists put them back on the throne.

Granted, the Fascists tried to make Juan Carlos into an absolute monarch and instead he democratized...

I dunno where I'm going with this.

Oct 27, 2017
The Spanish crown only exists because the Fascists put them back on the throne.

Granted, the Fascists tried to make Juan Carlos into an absolute monarch and instead he democratized...

I dunno where I'm going with this.
IMO all monarchies can get fucked, but the timing of this is bizarre. Especially since this administration already had the chance to condemn an on going dictatorship that abuses its citizens but decided not to.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018

If you went to the comments section of some of the major newspapers' Facebook pages I mentioned you would read blatant antisemitism, homophobia, murderous transphobia. Even people supporting Trump over Obrador...these newspapers pander to this type of readers.

I feel like we want to explain the situation to people and get ignored lol. At least soneone here knows what up.

Do you live in Mexico?

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we want to explain the situation to people and get ignored lol. At least soneone here knows what up.

Do you live in Mexico?

Would you point me to a left wing press outlet, please? I live in Mexico and I really dont know about one. I agree that Grupo Reforma can be utterly trash sometimes but I just dont agree that a head of state should be calling them out outright.

Thanks!

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Let me go off a little:

AMLO is less popular with certain type of internet-savvy individuals because he is prioritizing the needs of the people in the poverty line. He is not prioritizing the needs of the middle class, which is normally the people that spend more time on the internet. The airport is a good example of this: 77% of mexicans have never take a flight.

So what you get on the internet is a bunch of rich to middle class kids whining about things like the slashing of social programs (some of them used for corruption schemes) they never even were familiar with. The equivalent of libertarian kids crying about Planned Parenthood not getting enough funds (not saying PP is corrupt) .

Has MORENA being a disappointment so far when it comes to certain aspects of pushing a more socially liberal agenda? Yes, but at least we won't get a Bolsonaro backlash.

Has Obrador made less transparent decisions when it comes to contracts and stuff? Yes, hardly as shady as before but definitely not in sync with many of his promises.

But he is far from being Trumpian.

Pretty much this. He hasn't donde anything seen as "worse" than previous administrations and has done a lot of things seen by many as good or in line with their expectations. Hence, his sky-high approval raitings.

And he's by no means as socially conservative as Trump. He's not as liberal or progressive as I and many middle and high class educated liberals would like, but he's not Bolsorano or even a conservative panista. The PAN is overall more conservative, even if some idiot Morena politicians have turned out to be pretty conservative.

And fifí is not "pussy", GTFO with that. It's the same as "fresa" or snob.

I've read worse stuff from readers on those right-leaning news sites like El Financiero, El Universal and Reforma.

A lot of Mexicans on Era might consider themselves Democrats, but when talking about Mexican politics, they sound more like anti-Trump Republicans instead of actual progressives.

Oct 29, 2017
Trump is in a way exlusive to the USA because, im not saying there is no racism in mexico, but most countries do not experience racism the same way as the USA, in mexico there was never the same levels of segregation, basically you cannot replicate trump 1:1 in mexico because the ways racism happens in Mexico are different from the ways racism happens in the USA.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. And I'm not saying that as a tacit defense of AMLO. But trying to find easy comparisons because "Trumpism" is what Americans have on their mind is reductionist, places a Mexican situation under American terms even when there's no real reason to, and it doesn't result in a meaningful understanding on how things are playing out in Mexico.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what is worst is that if not amlo then who?

i mean did you really wanted the other two guys that i already forgot their names? Leono and chicken little. like even the few things amlo has discovered tells you what those 2 parties have done to mexico, like holy fucking shit, blatantly stealing in sunlight.

im pretty sure amlo is going to struggle to make mexico less shit than it is, but at least i know that are his intentions.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Pretty much this. He hasn't donde anything seen as "worse" than previous administrations and has done a lot of things seen by many as good or in line with their expectations. Hence, his sky-high approval raitings.

And he's by no means as socially conservative as Trump. He's not as liberal or progressive as I and many middle and high class educated liberals would like, but he's not Bolsorano or even a conservative panista. The PAN is overall more conservative, even if some idiot Morena politicians have turned out to be pretty conservative.

And fifí is not "pussy", GTFO with that. It's the same as "fresa" or snob.

I've read worse stuff from readers on those right-leaning news sites like El Financiero, El Universal and Reforma.

A lot of Mexicans on Era might consider themselves Democrats, but when talking about Mexican politics, they sound more like anti-Trump Republicans instead of actual progressives.

Thank you! lol.. fitting avatar even..

Last edited: