• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I was hoping for this:

Glad John Oliver did an episode on Mexican Elections.

TLDW:

- Meade is not worth talking about
- Bronco is a joke (and hates Santa Claus)
- Anaya is on second place, but has had an horrible campaign (and the target of lot of mockery due that)
- AMLO seems to be the one that will win, but his campaign and speech shift narratives so much he's almost Mexican Trump
- John hopes the best for us, but it seems nobody will saves us. Not even Santau Claus

Last edited:

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
Is it just me or Bronco has been gaining more support? And not just from Nuevo Leon.

I don't think he will win but it fucking worries me this trend.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or Bronco has been gaining more support? And not just from Nuevo Leon.

I don't think he will win but it fucking worries me this trend.

I voted for him for governor, but honestly is a fucking travesty what he did. He will lost, and he will try to return to the government. I will go to throw him tomatoes the first time he have any kind of spotlight.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
This topic was also covered in the current issue of The Economist. This line stated (p. 22),
"One thing looks certain. In whichever direction he takes Mexico, resistance will be weak. For the first time a single party is set to control the presidency, capital and congress all at once."

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
The 14 year old in me just melted. This month's issue of Maxim Mexico has Yanet Garcia on the cover.

51jD0zQO2iL.jpg

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got back from my fifth trip to the Yucatan and I swear to god it's the most perfect place on earth for me. I finally took the road to Punta Allen. What a slog. No pavement from Tulum to Belize. I also rode my stupid little folding bike for about ten miles.

Yucatecan food is second only to Oaxaca's imo.

Anyway I love Mexico but I REALLY love QuintanaRoo. I splurged on a sunset ticket to the Tulum ruins and we were literally the only people there except for a photographer doing shots for the museum. It was really really different and magical seeing it so quiet.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
First day of the AMLO Era.. how do you feel MexicoEra?

As you can see, most Mexicans are divided between 3 kind. Those who are:

- Hopeless: Those who think we are gonna go into worse times
- Hopeful: Those who think it's impossible to go any worse than we have right now
- Jaded: Those who think we're fucked no matter who is in charge

Same as always. Hopeless.

And I expect 6 terrible years.

We were f...ed, now we are f...ed.

So same sh@t.

.n_n.

Exited. Even if it's bad , literally nothing could be worse than Peña.

Venga por 6 años buenos (espero)

In a sense, not much different from the first day of every other president

Oct 25, 2017
Then...

"I'll investigate the previous governments and jail the corrupt! I'll sue and send the corrupt to jail!"

Now...

"I'll issue full pardon to corrupt people because seconds chances. And I won't investigate previous governments because it could be chaotic"

Fuck this guy. Seriously.

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Then...

"I'll investigate the previous governments and jail the corrupt! I'll sue and send the corrupt to jail!"

Now...

"I'll issue full pardon to corrupt people because seconds chances. And I won't investigate previous governments because it could be chaotic"

Fuck this guy. Seriously.
That's just the "mellow" stuff! Dropping gas prices, use the military to fight OC... That's just this week!

Seriously, whoever supports this guy has either spent 18 years under a rock or is another prick expecting to get "his bone".

Oct 25, 2017
That's just the "mellow" stuff! Dropping gas prices, use the military to fight OC... That's just this week!

Seriously, whoever supports this guy has either spent 18 years under a rock or is another prick expecting to get "his bone".

It honestly makes me mad that his followers are not calling him out on his bullshit. It's unbelievable.

6 years of calling Peña an incompetent corrupt idiot and liar (which he was) but now López is fine?

We are in for 6 long years of "he never said that. And if he did you misunderstood him" idiocy. Basically the same Trump supporters do in the US.

"We spent 6 years under an ignorant donkey! Let's now give the presidency to an ignorant donkey!"

This is a nightmare.

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It honestly makes me mad that his followers are not calling him out on his bullshit. It's unbelievable.

6 years of calling Peña an incompetent corrupt idiot and liar (which he was) but now López is fine?

We are in for 6 long years of "he never said that. And if he did you misunderstood him" idiocy. Basically the same Trump supporters do in the US.

"We spent 6 years under an ignorant donkey! Let's now give the presidency to an ignorant donkey!"

This is a nightmare.

"Ignorant donkey" is an understatement. This guy has actively search people that hold the most stupid ideas (transgenics bad!, aluxes are real!, ask criminals to forgive us so they stop being bad!). Just this week his "culture" delegate made a crude remark, at a book fair of all places, and his followers (chairos for short) said it was the right thing, to "make culture less sophisticated".

They are in for a reaaaaally rude awakening.

Oct 25, 2017
"Ignorant donkey" is an understatement. This guy has actively search people that hold the most stupid ideas (transgenics bad!, aluxes are real!, ask criminals to forgive us so they stop being bad!). Just this week his "culture" delegate made a crude remark, at a book fair of all places, and his followers (chairos for short) said it was the right thing, to "make culture less sophisticated".

They are in for a reaaaaally rude awakening.

Oh yes, I agree my friend.

Didn't you cringe hard when López Doriga reminded him of his statement of "getting the army off the streets because they are not prepared and didn't belong there".

Of fucking course he completely backtracked on that statement, and worse yet, he DENIES ever saying they despite there being a video of him clearly making the statement.

It wasn't even "I changed my mind about that subject", it was a straight up "NO I NEVER SAID THAT".

"but sir, you recorded and broadcasted a video saying that. Literally saying THAT. "

"NO".

And his followers still have the balls to say the interview was edited or some other bullshit.

Or what about him spending HIS ENTIRE CAREER shitting on Televisa, calling then tools of the "Mafia of Power", calling them corrupt and liars... And now that he's won, Televisa is "extraordinary" and one of the pillars and "pride"of our country.

What do his followers say about this? Nothing. Nothing of course. Because their Mesiah can't do no wrong. And if he does, let's not talk about it.

I feel like I have crossed into the Stupid Dimension.

Whenever Lopez Obrador lies in the faces of everyone, backtracks on his previous campaign promises or straight up SPEAKS about ANYTHING, and I see his followers either going silent or praising him, this is my reaction.

Last edited:

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, most of the radio channelrs were transmiting the same speech, open television too.

AMLO being like the second coming of christ

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man, most of the radio channelrs were transmiting the same speech, open television too.

AMLO being like the second coming of christ
They finally got what they wanted, someone to exploit, while pretending to be submissive. They know the more they bend backwards to praise the new all-mighty lord, the more more money they will likely get, and the more his followers will defend them no matter what (yes, those 'journalists' committed a crime, but they speak so well of our 'president', they can be pardoned!)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
We had some fervent peje-ers even here, it's a shame we'll never know what they think about his statements on GMOs, Maduro, the immediate backpedaling, etc.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Oh yes, I agree my friend.

Didn't you cringe hard when López Doriga reminded him of his statement of "getting the army off the streets because they are not prepared and didn't belong there".

Of fucking course he completely backtracked on that statement, and worse yet, he DENIES ever saying they despite there being a video of him clearly making the statement.

It wasn't even "I changed my mind about that subject", it was a straight up "NO I NEVER SAID THAT".

"but sir, you recorded and broadcasted a video saying that. Literally saying THAT. "

"NO".

And his followers still have the balls to say the interview was edited or some other bullshit.

Or what about him spending HIS ENTIRE CAREER shitting on Televisa, calling then tools of the "Mafia of Power", calling them corrupt and liars... And now that he's won, Televisa is "extraordinary" and one of the pillars and "pride"of our country.

What do his followers say about this? Nothing. Nothing of course. Because their Mesiah can't do no wrong. And if he does, let's not talk about it.

I feel like I have crossed into the Stupid Dimension.

Whenever Lopez Obrador lies in the faces of everyone, backtracks on his previous campaign promises or straight up SPEAKS about ANYTHING, and I see his followers either going silent or praising him, this is my reaction.

Mexico hasn't gone "mad" as in crazy, but definitely "mad" as in pissed. Which is why AMLO won.

I voted for AMLO, and I hate Trump, but I admit AMLO shares a lot of things with Trump, specifically the ego and obsession with nationalism. And stupid self-owns, like the Texcoco airport cancellation. Most people would've forgiven him if he flip-flopped on that promise, yet he stubbornly went through with it, out of a need to show "who's boss".

But AMLO is both much more politically educated,and surrounded by highly educated and liberal people, than Trump. More so than most of his detractors give him credit for, who obsessed too much in looking for contradictions when most of the 53% of voters who chose him on July 1 never thought he was perfect or believed him 100% from the beginning.

And just like Trump, his detractors love to point out stupid little gaffes and maybe even his style of speech but miss the point of his appeal completely. It took me a while to get Trump in 2016, as a Hillary supporter, but it's time a lot of Mexican Era got AMLO too.

The truth is, AMLO is a pragmatist and center-left, at best (at "best" if you're a hardcore leftie), but he strongly believes Mexico is lacking a role-model at the national level and a sense of nationalism in times of fear that globalization is taking away basic economic and social control from local communities and even whole countries.

I don't agree with, easily, half of what AMLO is proposing, but I agree on him on his broad message that the public good, the public space, and the public well-being have been completely destroyed by "neoliberalism" in the last 30 years or more in Mexico and that we need a hard shake-up. In almost every sense we are worse off after six years of EPN or even 12 years of PAN-PRI.

Things can, indeed, get worse, but that would've been just as likely or even more likely with Anaya, Meade or *shivers* El Bronco in power. AMLO was honestly the best option.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is we needed to choose between all this pile of garbage, so of course we will get garbage. Now we need to live with this f... for six years, my hope is that he take the right choices or at least get something right in this six years.

He can have the most intelligent people in the world telling him what should be done but if he sees no gain or really don´t want to hear the reasons like with NACIM it will mean nothing to have those people talking to him to change his mind.

So meh... he is like the old school political power (dinosaurs) from the PRI, he was born there so why should we expect something different.

.n_n.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Mexico hasn't gone "mad" as in crazy, but definitely "mad" as in pissed. Which is why AMLO won.

I voted for AMLO, and I hate Trump, but I admit AMLO shares a lot of things with Trump, specifically the ego and obsession with nationalism. And stupid self-owns, like the Texcoco airport cancellation. Most people would've forgiven him if he flip-flopped on that promise, yet he stubbornly went through with it, out of a need to show "who's boss".

But AMLO is both much more politically educated and surrounded by highly educated and liberal people, than Trump. More than most of his detractors give him credit, who obsessed too much of looking for contradictions when most of the 53% of voters who chose him on July 1 never thought he was perfect or believe him 100%.

And just like Trump, his detractors love to point out stupid little gaffes and maybe even his speech but miss the point of his appeal completely. It took me a while to get it in 2016, as a Hillary supporter, but it's time a lot of Mexican Era got AMLO too.

The truth is, AMLO is a pragmatist and center-left, at best (at "best" if you're a hardcore leftie), but he strongly believes Mexico is lacking a role-model at the national level and a sense of nationalism in times of fear that globalization is taking away basic economic and social control from local communities and even whole countries.

I don't agree with, easily, half of what AMLO is proposing, but I agree on him on his broad message that the public good, the public space, and the public well-being have been completely destroyed by "neoliberalism" in the last 30 years or more in Mexico and that we need a hard shake-up. In almost every sense we are worse off after six years of EPN or even 12 years of PAN-PRI.

Things can, indeed, get worse, but that would've been just as likely or even more likely with Anaya, Meade or *shivers* El Bronco in power. AMLO was honestly the best option.

Great post, it voices many of my thoughts. Specially the bolded.

What I don't like about the AMLO haters here in Mexico (or even Anaya haters/Meade Haters) is that they complain and bark, but they don't offer solutions or any other argument for their hate or for who they support and why.

I mean, if somebody supported PRI, with a reasonable argument, I may not agree, but at least I understand why he or she is supporting it and why the AMLO hate. Hell, I will be happy with a "My father and uncle are/were PRI acarreados and we lost the bone" and that's assuming they are being politically motivated and not classist fucks who think AMLO is going to turn the country into Venezuela because he will fuck the high class people (you know, like them)turning them into low class or because he openly supports the poor people/campesinos/indigenas of Mexico.

Nevertheless, they only make things hard, complain complain complain and no solutions or ideas, they just throw shit, say some fatalist BS and go away to play videogames.

Last edited:

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Hey guys! I hope it's okay for me to post in here - I was going to make a thread but I didn't really know how to title it in a few words, so I wanted to start here.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but a couple of years back, I discovered Pepe Aguillar. I immediately fell in love with his voice and music. While I've never really been acquainted with the music of Mexico (minus the background stuff I'd hear at a restaurant), there was something familiar about Aguillar. He reminded me of the old Italian singers that my grandma and barber used to play - not just voice-wise, but even a bit in the actual music. I really love him and I'd like to explore similar artists.

The problem is that I don't speak Spanish. This isn't a problem in terms of understanding the lyrics - it's finding recommendations and similar artists. Most of my Google searching brings up pages in Spanish, so I wouldn't even know where to begin there. I tried searching Ranchera artists, but there are so many of them and the genre seems to have a lot of ways that it can go to the point where I'm overwhelmed.

Anyway, to make a long story short, does anybody have any recommendations for me?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Hey guys! I hope it's okay for me to post in here - I was going to make a thread but I didn't really know how to title it in a few words, so I wanted to start here.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but a couple of years back, I discovered Pepe Aguillar. I immediately fell in love with his voice and music. While I've never really been acquainted with the music of Mexico (minus the background stuff I'd hear at a restaurant), there was something familiar about Aguillar. He reminded me of the old Italian singers that my grandma and barber used to play - not just voice-wise, but even a bit in the actual music. I really love him and I'd like to explore similar artists.

The problem is that I don't speak Spanish. This isn't a problem in terms of understanding the lyrics - it's finding recommendations and similar artists. Most of my Google searching brings up pages in Spanish, so I wouldn't even know where to begin there. I tried searching Ranchera artists, but there are so many of them and the genre seems to have a lot of ways that it can go to the point where I'm overwhelmed.

Anyway, to make a long story short, does anybody have any recommendations for me?

First of all, happy to hear you've taken a liking for the Ranchera genre. Some people here can get a little snobby and call it "naco" music, but it's a genre that have a lot of good music.

As for the recomendations; you can start with the father of Pepe Aguilar, Antonio Aguilar. As his son, he was a prolific and popular singer. If you like him too, then you can start looking at singers of our Golden Age: Pedro Infante, Jorge Negrete, Jose Alfredo Jimenez and Javier Solis.