• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK

costs $350 but made by the same person who makes those awesome Retro City and Neo Geo mini arcade machines.

EDIT: there is $150 DIY version as well.

• Runs games from Snes, NES, Genesis, Atari, PS1, Neo Geo, Gameboy Advance, CPS 1, 2,3, Dreamcast and more.
  • Clicky 4 microswitched joystick. Just like the Neo Geo Pocket had back in the day.
  • Standard D-Pad available upon request
  • Vertical / Tate mode for playing classic arcade vertical shooters
  • 12 remappable buttons to suit whatever play style you prefer
  • Vivid 3.2″ TFT Display at 320 x 240 perfect for retro gaming
  • High speed 64 GB micro SD card
  • Rechargeable Li-po battery
  • Standard mirco usb charge jack
  • 1/8″ Stereo headphone jack
  • Mini speaker
  • Volume knob
  • Power Switch
COuqnky.jpg

Demo:

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This looks cool and all but what's the standout feature? The form factor maybe? Seems like there is a new device every 3 months for people to play their 20 system complete rom collection on.

Nov 28, 2017
Came into this thread in a hurry, thinking it was related to Ghost Babel or Portable Ops, without reading the full title, lol.

The machine does look straightforward and nice. How big is this market?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Not interested if it is running on a Pi.

If you are used to emulation on a PC the Pi was always a real step down in my experience.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
My hands hurt after watching that video....and what is with that video cut right before it boots after they pick it up? Why not just reshoot picking it up?

Somewhat interesting but $350 for an assembled version and that form factor....let alone only dpad or stick...lots of compromises.

I imagine the target audience for this is eagerly awaiting switch homebrew already as well.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
It's just a Raspberry Pi 3.

I wouldn't call the dreamcast emulation it can do "great". Playable definitely, but not at anywhere near a stable framerate.

My experience with Dreamcast emulation on a RPi has been shoddy at best. It's a pretty bold claim for the maker to claim that it can play Dreamcast games satisfactorily.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My hands hurt after watching that video....and what is with that video cut right before it boots after they pick it up? Why not just reshoot picking it up?

Somewhat interesting but $350 for an assembled version and that form factor....let alone only dpad or stick...lots of compromises.

I imagine the target audience for this is eagerly awaiting switch homebrew already as well.
Pretty sure emulation on a 3DS or Vita is going to be far superior to what you get on this.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Impressive, really nailed the NGPC stylings. And that's super-awesome that the controls can flip to TATE mode.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the design is like if NGP and Wonderswan had a baby. Really great looking, I wish I could get one in blue camo.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't beleive that it runs all PS1 and Dreamcast games flawessly.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
I love handheld devices so I'm always interested in things like this but that price is hefty for something with a Pi 3 in it.
I'll be looking forward to seeing people get their hands on it and their impressions though.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just moved, and I came across my old NGPC. This thing looks sexy as hell. I want it

Edit - oh my god, that startup sound. I must have this thing.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just a heads up there is a $150 DIYversion.

Looked into the build process and he has put some serious consideration on the parts on how to make this. most of the parts are off the shelf like the teensy and screen and charging circuitry but he has had to design his own PCB's for the buttons and casing for this to function how it should do:

SkglkHx.jpg

Hitoribhoshi

Oct 28, 2017
sorry for the bump, ended up here looking for a 3D printed NGPC stick. the pcb is on OSHPask and button switches on Aliexpress. I was just thinking it would be awesome to build a none wireless joycon for the Switch like Hori is doing, but with a NGPC stick.

would need to 3D print a shell and make a full pcb, joycon rails/battery and everything are readily available on ebay too.

All we need is to see how Hori is encoding the inputs to be sent on the joycon rail pins.