• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apparently it's not, given the amount of games that don't support it (although it's worth noting that most games that have PRO support do offer Downsampling).
I'd love for someone in the know to give a definitive view on this. I mean, as a layman, I can't see any logical reason why it would impact performance any more than the 4K (or whatever) version, so presumably it's down to changing some settings. But I'm not a dev, so maybe it is a lot harder than I imagine. That the X1X will do it at a system level suggests it's not too difficult, tho.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Please. I know many of us are disappointed but please can anyone check if they added SSR? If you have PC version you can check instances where it has SSR and compare it to PS4 Pro after patch. I still have a tiny hope they addes something.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for someone in the know to give a definitive view on this. I mean, as a layman, I can't see any logical reason why it would impact performance any more than the 4K (or whatever) version, so presumably it's down to changing some settings. But I'm not a dev, so maybe it is a lot harder than I imagine. That the X1X will do it at a system level suggests it's not too difficult, tho.

Downsampling requires power. The PS4 Pro is not powerful enough for Sony to assume that their solution will work evenly for all titles, so they leave that in the hands of the developers. The X1X is more powerful so it is afforded the same luxury to hit the target. It really isn't a difficult concept. But Sony does what they tend to do, leave it in the hands of the devs, and while that may annoy people who want to see it uniformly across all titles, it does allow for devs to experiment and some to stand out greatly.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Downsampling requires power. The PS4 Pro is not powerful enough for Sony to assume that their solution will work evenly for all titles, so they leave that in the hands of the developers. The X1X is more powerful so it is afforded the same luxury to hit the target. It really isn't a difficult concept. But Sony does what they tend to do, leave it in the hands of the devs, and while that may annoy people who want to see it uniformly across all titles, it does allow for devs to experiment and some to stand out greatly.
Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't realise that downsampling required any significant power over and above that required for the full res/non-downsampled version. I.e. that if a game can run at 4K, it shouldn't run worse or require any (or much) power/resources at a downsampled res.

PabloTheThird

Oct 25, 2017
Just updated.
Update History:
Version 1.16 - Adds support for Playstation®4 Pro with enhanced performance.

Doesn't seem to have anything in the menus to toggle enhancements. Hasn't added HDR support, that's for sure. Can't really tell what's changed to be honest; looks the same on my 4K TV.
I did notice that the version still said 1.13 so idk if its actually on there

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't realise that downsampling required any significant power over and above that required for the full res/non-downsampled version. I.e. that if a game can run at 4K, it shouldn't run worse or require any (or much) power/resources at a downsampled res.

There is a bit of misunderstanding there. Which is "run" at 4k. There is only a limited amount of games that run at native 4k on PS4. The rest are achieved by rendering solutions. Downsampling works best if you can kit a native resolution then downsample from there. I am not sure how it works but I don't think it is the same process or even a good idea to try to downsample a CBR 4K image. 4K is "so" taxing that not all X1X games are native either. But one thing the X1X should be able to do is 1080p for all games and with the best AA solution out there. Downsampling wouldn't be necessary for all titles.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
If it's running at 1440p already, downsampling doesn't take any more power than that.

We don't know if it is native ( at least I don't). Don't know if there are other factors or features that are dependent on the render. Just for the same reason Sony allowed the Boost with a stern warning. There is a chance that the assumption may break some solutions game have for rendering or solving a problem. And they do not have enough power to brute force it to make that change negligible. But one thing I know for sure, is that as long as there is a possibility of games breaking or not rendering correctly Sony isn't going to pull rank on it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know if it is native ( at least I don't). Don't know if there are other factors or features that are dependent on the render. Just for the same reason Sony allowed the Boost with a stern warning. There is a chance that the assumption may break some solutions game have for rendering or solving a problem. And they do not have enough power to brute force it to make that change negligible. But one thing I know for sure, is that as long as there is a possibility of games breaking or not rendering correctly Sony isn't going to pull rank on it.

But down sampling would literally not require any power .. it's the same as upscaling a 720p native image to a 1080p display, only the other way around...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
There is a bit of misunderstanding there. Which is "run" at 4k. There is only a limited amount of games that run at native 4k on PS4. The rest are achieved by rendering solutions. Downsampling works best if you can kit a native resolution then downsample from there. I am not sure how it works but I don't think it is the same process or even a good idea to try to downsample a CBR 4K image. 4K is "so" taxing that not all X1X games are native either. But one thing the X1X should be able to do is 1080p for all games and with the best AA solution out there. Downsampling wouldn't be necessary for all titles.
Sorry, I was using 4k as an example of a higher resolution; I meant generally any game rendered in a higher resolution could (as I previously understood it) be downsampled for zero or very little resource cost. My logic was that no further work is needed other than forcing the higher res on a lower res display. But I didn't even know there were different downsampling "solutions", so I appreciate the info.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think there would be an example of a downsampled game running worse if that actually required more hardware power.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
AFAIK, Downsampling requires no additional power than is needed to run a game at a higher res in the first place. I'd like to think that there is some reasoning behind why devs lock is 1080p TV users out of the most substantial benefit the PRO can provide us. I'd like to think that it's not simply that these devs simply don't want to put in whatever miniscule effort is required to enable downsampling. However, I don't know, because these devs are always silent on the issue, which is what makes this situation all the more frustrating.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I'm not sure you know how it works either because this is totally wrong. There are plenty of games that use checkerboarding on Pro and downsample. They look great.

MikeKlump

Oct 30, 2017
California
I put in a few hours when this game originally came out but never finished it. Hopefully this will get me to go back to it but I still have Mario and South Park...

pppppanic

Oct 27, 2017
good timing...started it when it was released, but never finished....time to revisit after the patch drops.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure you know how it works either because this is totally wrong. There are plenty of games that use checkerboarding on Pro and downsample. They look great.

Like I said I wasn't sure but I knew Sony left it up to the devs. The examples provided such as Horizon was handled by the devs. There is not one case where you can point do where it was done on OS level. Of course there have been no performance issues if the devs had a hand in it. I doubt we would see it if there were. I am speculating this is why they are silent and why we haven't seen an even implementation of it nor an OS level solution.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So no extra graphical features? Only 1440p res?
I don't like when patches only do this when there is a greta margin for improvements. I am sure they could have added those improvements on top of the increased resolution but they didn't bother. Increasing the resolution is the easiest task and they think we should consider ourselves lucky we got PS4 Pro support from the start.
Again Team add SSR at least.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like I said I wasn't sure but I knew Sony left it up to the devs. The examples provided such as Horizon was handled by the devs. There is not one case where you can point do where it was done on OS level. Of course there have been no performance issues if the devs had a hand in it. I doubt we would see it if there were. I am speculating this is why they are silent and why we haven't seen an even implementation of it nor an OS level solution.

Sure, but that's not what the post I quoted was about. It was about whether its a good idea to downsample an image if its a higher resolution than 1080p but not native 4K, or if it's rendered with a solution like checkerboarding or temporal injection. And it is a very good idea. Games like Horizon and Ratchet and Clank are great examples of that.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strange, on mine it says 1.16 update installed, but then on the title screen in the game it says Ver 1.13. My Pro is suddenly very noisy when playing the game though. IQ looks improved to me though, if I'm not imagining it (been up since 5am). Certainly nothing like 4K though, 1440p at best.

PabloTheThird

Oct 25, 2017
Strange, on mine it says 1.16 update installed, but then on the title screen in the game it says Ver 1.13. My Pro is suddenly very noisy when playing the game though. IQ looks improved to me though, if I'm not imagining it (been up since 5am). Certainly nothing like 4K though, 1440p at best.
That's what I'm saying, like I played uncharted and I know that has 1440p added and I could notice the clarity but with MGSV I couldn't see it I think it's bugged

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do I get this right? If you own an HDTV this Pro patch doesn't do anything for you, because it doesn't downsample and there are zero other enhancements? :/

Do we have a general games with Pro enhancements thread like over in the old forum?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow I just noticed that If you have The Definitive Edition, the patch improves Ground Zeroes too: https://twitter.com/metalgear_en/status/925301593632800768
A good way to scam customers who got both games alone + all the DLCs full priced. I should have waited and bought the Definitive Edition instead of buying each chunk separately, but sadly I didn't know they were releasing one.
That is why I will always wait for games to finish releasing every bit of them and when they annoucne their full edition like RE7 Gold and Horizon Full Edition.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
So no downsampling or anything. Basically nothing at all for 1080p tv owners again. I don't understand why do one without the other when it takes no additional power to do so?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I just noticed that If you have The Definitive Edition, the patch improves Ground Zeroes too: https://twitter.com/metalgear_en/status/925301593632800768
A good way to scam customers who got both games alone + all the DLCs full priced. I should have waited and bought the Definitive Edition instead of buying each chunk separately, but sadly I didn't know they were releasing one.
That is why I will always wait for games to finish releasing every bit of them and when they annoucne their full edition like RE7 Gold and Horizon Full Edition.

Well that bites for people who bought the standalone GZ, I'd be pissed but I don't plan to get a Pro yet and I bought GZ for like $5 many moons ago thanks to a price matching error...worst case if I do get a Pro and decide to play GZ again enhanced, guess I'll just buy the DE on a sale or something.

Ukyo Of Atmos

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the info, Have been wondering about this.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Please do not spread misinformation. Downsampling needs no additional power. Why Sony is not implementing it like Ms is another question all together. But has zero to do with power of the console

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I am not supportive of the despicable defeatist mentality of: "better than nothing" because we got literally nothing and Ground Zeroes got beyond nothing, they got void.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't want to be ungrateful, but as DF says this update is barebones. The absolute minimum. The PS4 Pro probably could handle MGSV at CBR 4K60 or at least at 1440p with the additional details seen in the PC version.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Man the crossgen nature of this game has made it age fiercely. Actually hadn't taken a look at it in two years.

If you hated last crossgen, then boy will you hate this one coming up, with a half-assed split on both consoles that is barely supported still. ps4pro/PS5 split will be horrible, ditto xbox one X/xbox one two.