• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BIU award show MHW > 100k in its first week of sales. MH4U did not reach this milestone in its first 12 months of sales.

This continues the growing trend of a big over performance for the series in EU relative to the 3DS entry, MH4U.

UK opening was estimated to be 3x as much and Spain was more than 2x

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
What is BIU award and do you have a link?
I don't doubt what you are saying but I'd like to read myself :)

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Somebody should make a MHW vs all previous installments and Dragon Ball FghterZ vs all previous installments sales chart.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great result.
Not too surprising though considering shipped 5m ww this fast.

And well PS4/One >>>3DS.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that it might not sell that well due to console MH rather than handheld MH but I'll cop it, I was wrong. Well done.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
That's awesome and still not even out on PC yet. Bet Capcom are kicking themselves for not developing a MH title on non-portable hardware earlier.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that it might not sell that well due to console MH rather than handheld MH but I'll cop it, I was wrong. Well done.

In the west ?
There is a reason why the 3DS pretty much had zero western 3rdParty support. Pretty much every big multiplattform console releases outsells everything 3rdParty related on handhelds. There are very few exceptions and they are mostly first party.

PS4/XBO market is much bigger than the 3DS market ever was.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This one sounds a little clickbaity.

Germany isn't a big market for Nintendo (not as bad as the UK though), and definitely it wasn't during the Wii U / 3DS era so i wonder how much MH4U sold in the first 12 months.

Even a trashy port of a 3DS MH for One and PS4 would have probably sold better.

Last edited:

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome and still not even out on PC yet. Bet Capcom are kicking themselves for not developing a MH title on non-portable hardware earlier.
They are versions of MH title on non-portable hardware. The difference this time is better marketing, changes to appeal to international target groups and timing, since life-sytle games are currently very popular.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It came down to Sony marketing vs Nintendo marketing.

Sony just did a far better job with promoting Monster Hunter then Nintendo ever did.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
The size of the market, the usebase of each system at the time of release, one being exclusive v multiplat, the relative significance of each release, the release date etc.

There's way more involved than just marketing and I'm a bit shocked it even needs explanation...
Would you not agree though that this MH has had the best marketing campaign of any MH ever in the West?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
An important case study on how to take a franchise with previously only regional reach, to the grand global stage.

dicapriocelebrationsl1yrtx.gif

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to ask for some more context on title, but I see the OP explains things. I was curious about MH4U legs in context to MHW passing its total in a year, but with BIU awards providing time frames my questions are answered.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It came down to Sony marketing vs Nintendo marketing.

Sony just did a far better job with promoting Monster Hunter then Nintendo ever did.

Kinda rich, considering Nintendo basically introduced the series to the west. MonHun saw massive gains in mainstream standing in the west on the 3DS, from near non-existence on the PS2 and PSP. Part of the reason this shiny new MonHun does well now is the gains of the series on the 3DS.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just want to know how Capcom is feeling now.
Being on a console, having a huge graphics leap, many QOL changes, massive critical acclaim, very positive word of mouth and a big uptake in streams on Twitch/YouTube.
Which have always been downplayed when discussing how the title will do in the past, I find it funny that people are attributing them now.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
MHW are on to road to become the most successful game in Capcom history, incredible

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Which have always been downplayed when discussing how the title will do in the past, I find it funny that people are attributing them now.

Well some people were always going to downplay MHW in any way possible. I wasn't one of those however, but those things undoubtedly helped MHW sales and I couldn't be happier for their success, as MHW is an amazing iteration

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I had to go to Köln to find a copy. There were none left where I live lol

Tri's online was one of the reasons I can speak German now xD
I started playing and chatting with some german guys I met over there.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's pretty cool.
I wonder if it being on more than one platform has anything to do with it, tbqh.

Nevertheless, good performance there!
More people get to enjoy Monster Hunter and that's the best part of it.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's pretty cool.
I wonder if it being on more than one platform has anything to do with it, tbqh.

Nevertheless, good performance there!
More people get to enjoy Monster Hunter and that's the best part of it.
In Germany the Xbox is a non-entity. In some markets like the US and UK it may be a factor, but probably not in Germany.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well some people were always going to downplay MHW in any way possible. I wasn't one of those however, but those things undoubtedly helped MHW sales and I couldn't be happier for their success, as MHW is an amazing iteration
Oh I wasn't calling you out nor disagreeing with you, apologize if you thought so.