• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it did great considering the late port + World existing, I guess that's another test passed? Wonder what will be the next one.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
To be fair, Monster Hunter is still pretty similar outside of QOL changes even with World, and Generations Ultimate is perfectly fine.

That is what I have gathered after reading similar forum posts and reviews online. But on the outside looking in, the game looks to be treated as an afterthought compared to Monster Hunter: World.

The difference in visual fidelity was the first that struck me. I understand the Switch cannot keep up with PS4 or Xbox One, but the overall look of the game feels closer to the previous 3DS versions in my eyes. This even comes down to the most basic of on-screen elements like the user interface.

Also, is the game receiving less support than World? I have rarely seen mention of crossover events for Generations Ultimate since launch. Meanwhile, it has been the opposite for World. For example, there is an event for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt taking place starting tomorrow! Perhaps it is a result of the smaller player base equating to less fanfare for them?

That is what I have gathered after reading similar forum posts and reviews online. But on the outside looking in, the game looks to be treated as an afterthought compared to Monster Hunter: World.

The difference in visual fidelity was the first that struck me. I understand the Switch cannot keep up with PS4 or Xbox One, but the overall look of the game feels closer to the previous 3DS versions in my eyes. This even comes down to the most basic of on-screen elements like the user interface.

Also, is the game receiving less support than World? I have rarely seen mention of crossover events for Generations Ultimate since launch. Meanwhile, it has been the opposite for World. For example, there is an event for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt taking place starting tomorrow! Perhaps it is a result of the smaller player base equating to less fanfare for them?
DLC has been done for the game for a while, but you have to keep in mind that there's multiple games worth of content in just the base content for MHGU. MHW won't ever begin to compare to it even with Iceborne later this year, and it's going to be a long, long time that something that looks like MHW will have anywhere close to 93 large monsters running around in it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it's was a 3ds game to begin with

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
My game of the year last year. Hopefully they continue to make more that use the same armour/skill system, as I prefer that system to the one in World.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
That's because it is literally an upressed 3DS game.

Is clear that this game is an afterthought for Capcom. They didn't even had plans to release it in the west until the fans backlash.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good to see it did well! I haven't gotten around to it yet, and with Iceborne announced I'm probably going to keep waiting. I'll have to find my 3DS sometime so I don't have to start all over.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

- It's literally an upscaled 3DS game. There's a 3DS version in Japan that didn't get localized and they can even be played together.

-There is crossover stuff included in the game. BoTW Link armor, Samus armor, a ton of outfits for the cats ranging from Okami and Dante to even Sailor Moon.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
DLC has been done for the game for a while, but you have to keep in mind that there's multiple games worth of content in just the base content for MHGU. MHW won't ever begin to compare to it even with Iceborne later this year, and it's going to be a long, long time that something that looks like MHW will have anywhere close to 93 large monsters running around in it.

That's reassuring to hear! I may have to download the demo and try it before making any final judgment. I still have a set of games I want to complete before Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 are released, not including any other unannounced titles Nintendo throws our way.

That's because it's was a 3ds game to begin with

That I had known, which is why I am hopeful Capcom will being to take the Switch more seriously and develop games from the ground up for it.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did...did you research the game, like at all, before you bought it?

This is WW numbers so in 3 months the biggest console in Japan could have sold a few more copies.
The question still stands, then: how much more could it have realistically sold? It didn't hang around for that long when it originally came out, and the 3DS market disappearing once the Switch's stock situation improved would have given it even less of a chance for continued exposure, especially with it being a near two year-old game at this point on that platform.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's because it is literally an upressed 3DS game.

Is clear that this game is an afterthought for Capcom. They didn't even had plans to release it in the west until the fans backlash.
- It's literally an upscaled 3DS game. There's a 3DS version in Japan that didn't get localized and they can even be played together.

-There is crossover stuff included in the game. BoTW Link armor, Samus armor, a ton of outfits for the cats ranging from Okami and Dante to even Sailor Moon.

I had known about those crossover items, I was referring to any released post-launch.

Did...did you research the game, like at all, before you bought it?

I don't own the game.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty surprising. Didn't thought this game would reach those numbers as a late port from 3DS

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is WW numbers so in 3 months the biggest console in Japan could have sold a few more copies.

It didn't. It does not take much searching to know this either.

I had known about those crossover items, I was referring to any released post-launch.

I don't own the game.

It's an old 3DS game that they localized. They are releasing the DLC that Japan got but there isn't any time table.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Read:
You can use the Wayback machine to check.

MHXX for 3DS was at 1.8 million from September 30, 2017 to September 30, 2018.

This is all shipped, not sell-through.

And we can also track sell-through via Media Create, Famitsu and Dengeki.

The only 3DS game that was seen selling well during 2018 in Japan by those trackers was Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. There was literally only 1 3DS game people would see being tracked the majority of the time in 2018.

3DS Hardware sales collapsed that year, new software released that year did terrible.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
This is also why I don't understand people thinking MH doesn't have a future on Nintendo platforms. Capcom would be silly not to have a MH title on MS, Sony, and Nintendo systems. They would be throwing money away in the future if they ignore Switch. Especially in Japan.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Love to see this. Got back into this game this week after playing other games and now I'm locked back in. Really curious to see what Capcom does next with MH on Switch.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
This is also why I don't understand people thinking MH doesn't have a future on Nintendo platforms. Capcom would be silly not to have a MH title on MS, Sony, and Nintendo systems. They would be throwing money away in the future if they ignore Switch. Especially in Japan.
Because the CEO said that they want to focus on games that show graphical upgrades on Tv and phone something the last time they got asked about the Switch.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's literally a 3DS game, ofcourse it looks closer to 3DS

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive to to be honest - especially considering they are still selling it a rather high price even on sale.

Capcom keeps getting rewarded by the Switch audience - let's see if they will provide a current gen MH title for it.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Because the CEO said that they want to focus on games that show graphical upgrades on Tv and phone something the last time they got asked about the Switch.

They can be upgraded from the previous handheld versions. They can also release at a higher res on PS4/X1 but it's just not smart to leave the Switch market underserved, IMO.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Not really. Generation Ulimate has far more content than World. It's also overall harder.
Of course it has more content. World is an entirely different generation of Monster Hunter, whereas XX is not. Generation refresh in MH always have less monsters because they rework everything. Look at Tri, it had even less Monsters than World.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How Capcom should celebrate this: Add Valphalk to MH World and Nergigante to Generations Ultimate.

Call the mission to hunt them in each game "Console Wars".

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
1.2M for this game is very good: the game itself was an expanded version of MHG (which itself was a non-mainline entry), and furthermore it's a very late localisation of that expanded version (as well as the game being clearly an uprezzed 3DS port in terms of visuals). As people have mentioned, only about 300k should be ascribed to Japan, so the western people are responsible for 3/4 of the total sales. Kinda MHW-ish in terms of split, might be in part due to MHW making the franchise more popular, along with Switch being much stronger in the West than the 3DS was.

Japan was smaller than expected, but it's been a running theme that Japanese Switch owners (or maybe Japanese gamers in general?) aren't keen on late ports of games. Any release that hasn't already released on 3DS would probably stand to have a much better sales share I think.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
That's indeed a lot more than I would have expected. There was a lot working against this title. Generations was kind of a cobbled together Greatest Hits entry that embraced a quantity over quality approach, and the Ultimate version only amplifies this. Speaking of Ultimate versions, the West doesn't tend to get both the vanilla and Ultimate releases to begin with, so I expected Generations Ultimate to do worse here too because we did get both in this case. Then finally the big one, MHWorld's shadow looming over it. Needless to say, I was fully expecting this to bomb in the west.

Curious to see how they proceed with the franchise now.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So basically 1 mil for the West of a late port of what's essentially an expansion? When Capcom didn't even want to bring it over?

Get MH5 on Switch Cappy.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

He's a big journalist in Japan. Incidentally, there's a 15th anniversary event in March, so I hope you are all ready to brave a new MH flame war on this forum lmao

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
smh @ people rewarding Capcom's poor efforts.

Y'all should know how Capcom tests work, I guess you can look forward to a HD version of MH4U as your reward and when that doesn't sell a million it will be proof that Switch isn't right for the franchise.