• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Seems really muted for an MH title
It isn't, for the following reasons:
1.2M for this game is very good: the game itself was an expanded version of MHG (which itself was a non-mainline entry), and furthermore it's a very late localisation of that expanded version (as well as the game being clearly an uprezzed 3DS port in terms of visuals). As people have mentioned, only about 300k should be ascribed to Japan, so the western people are responsible for 3/4 of the total sales. Kinda MHW-ish in terms of split, might be in part due to MHW making the franchise more popular, along with Switch being much stronger in the West than the 3DS was.

Japan was smaller than expected, but it's been a running theme that Japanese Switch owners (or maybe Japanese gamers in general?) aren't keen on late ports of games. Any release that hasn't already released on 3DS would probably stand to have a much better sales share I think.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be a bit more optimistic, what can we expect froma new monster hunter title for the Switch? Assuming it's exclusively made for the Switch, should we expect a whole new world/monsters from that of MHW?

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

He's a big journalist in Japan. Incidentally, there's a 15th anniversary event in March, so I hope you are all ready to brave a new MH flame war on this forum lmao

Don't do this to my heart mang.
MH on handheld is my favourite gaming experience. It needs to happen, but I know what Capcoms like.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
To be a bit more optimistic, what can we expect froma new monster hunter title for the Switch? Assuming it's exclusively made for the Switch, should we expect a whole new world/monsters from that of MHW?

3+ million from Japan alone easy, with maybe 2-3m from the west if the Western MH audience wasnt just a 1 hit wonder with World, considering the overlap between PS4/PC and Switch owners(irc 40 something percent in US for example)

5-6m for a exclusive game would be quite something.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
3+ million from Japan alone easy, with maybe 2-3m from the west if the Western MH audience wasnt just a 1 hit wonder with World, considering the overlap between PS4/PC and Switch owners(irc 40 something percent in US for example)

5-6m for a exclusive game would be quite something.
I reckon it would do more in the West with Worlds reputation to thank. Its got a strong name behind it now.

I mean this late expansion with zero marketing got 1 mil from the West.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that some people here are complaining about the lack of monsters in MHW and that game was 5 years in development, you're expecting a hypothetical Switch version made from the ground up to have more content?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
also it should be noted that this was the first MH title on a nintendo platform that didn't get a big marketing push from nintendo outside of japan. for the previous ones nintendo did the publishing or distribution or advertising.

Seems really muted for an MH title
if you choose to willfully ignore all context, sure

sales wise, at least 4 million WW, may get to 5

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
A new MH game for switch, with proper marketing..and i mean, it would be a really good one critics wise...i think, it would sell way more than 4 million worldwide. Alone in Japan...i think it would hit 3 million. And if MHGU gets 1 million in the west...with no marketing..a game which is a port...from a 3DS game...i think it would do way more than 1 million in the west alone. I would assume 6-7 million worldwide imo. Am i to optimistic?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
A new MH game for switch, with proper marketing..and i mean, it would be a really good one critics wise...i think, it would sell way more than 4 million worldwide. Alone in Japan...i think it would hit 3 million. And if MHGU gets 1 million in the west...with no marketing..a game which is a port...from a 3DS game...i think it would do way more than 1 million in the west alone. I would assume 6-7 million worldwide imo. Am i to optimistic?

No. Around 6m is where we should expect an exclusive Switch MH to land. But there isn't going to be one so people shouldnt get thier hopes up.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Remember this guys

Capcom brought MH Gen Ultimate here only because fans told them how crazy they were on social media.

1.2 mln copies is a lot for a super late port.

It makes me happy cause it seemed the company didn't want to bother with this platform, and audience showed we would like to see more from their franchises, especially Monster Hunter which has an history on Nintendo systems, and Capcom listened.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great performance for what came off as a completely sabotaged release.

Imagine what this game could have done if it was launched a year or more earlier when people were really interested and if it had more than a completely barren marketing budget. What kind of difference could it have made if even their own community managers and PR weren't completely dismissive of a western release for an entire year.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no way that MH skips Switch for the entire generation.
it seems like some people are mixing up them not wanting it to happen with there actually being any sense in it not happening
switch is selling massive amounts of software, in less than two years it has more million sellers in japan than some platforms get in their lifetime, a late port of an expansion of a 3ds game was able to sell 1M in the west, there's no way GU was the last MH on switch.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
That's what we thought with the MHXX announcement for Switch in 2017! Then E3 happens, and that all went out the window.
A port of a 3DS game is nowhere near as important as a G expansion for Capcom's biggest game ever! I can see them announcing old MH games ports in that event, they have millions of fans who missed a good chunk of the series after all, but I doubt they're announcing any new major MH games before Iceborne is out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a new MH for Switch it will probably Portable World or something. They can't make a bespoke game since they don't love the switch that much, and they don't want to divest resources away from the World team

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A port of a 3DS game is nowhere near as important as a G expansion for Capcom's biggest game ever! I can see them announcing old MH games ports in that event, they have millions of fans who missed a good chunk of the series after all, but I doubt they're announcing any new major MH games before Iceborne is out.
it's not like the MH series are known for their stories or anything, after porting and releasing the latest title in the handheld series to switch, going back and porting an earlier title makes zero sense.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Over 4M have witnessed the definitive sword and shield experience, there's no going back from shoryuken knock outs and tasty oils!

(yes I know it's shipped not sold)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
it seems like some people are mixing up them not wanting it to happen with there actually being any sense in it not happening
switch is selling massive amounts of software, in less than two years it has more million sellers in japan than some platforms get in their lifetime, a late port of an expansion of a 3ds game was able to sell 1M in the west, there's no way GU was the last MH on switch.
Seems like recent success stories have convinced some people that everything selling less than 10m isnt worth the time for Capcom or that upcoming MH releases on PS4/XBO could easy repeat the MHW success.

Thats not how this works - which is why Capcom already was working on MHW even while the 3DS games were selling great.
They are in a perfect spot with the MH series where they introduced the mainline series to the big HD market/audience and yet have another big growing market they could tap into for the portable markets.

Its win/win for Capcom. Their absolutely will be a 5th gen MH title on Switch.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, pretty much. I expect a MH game for the Switch after Iceborne.

I don't expect it to be called MH5, though, because that's MHW. They've said it many times already, and I doubt they'd want to alienate their new, massive market by skipping them with a numbered entry. I expect MHWP with as much of MHW's content and design philosophy as they can get on the Switch. Maybe not open maps, but larger arenas based on the biomes in MHW. Probably MHWUP since I don't think it'll be out before Iceborne.

Ideally, both the Switch games and the console/PC games would eventually be released simultaneously and share monster rosters/DLC updates. I doubt that's going to happen, but it would be nice.

Even better, I expect them to stop treating the rest of the world like second class citizens. No more praying we get a MH game, no more waiting a year to play the game.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Man, reminds me of the days where Capcom was assessing the performance of a Street Fighter II port to determine their Switch support. Glad to see this sold so well in spite of all odds against it

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Resources are finite and I can easily imagine a scenario where Capcom has all hands on deck for a next gen GaaS Monster Hunter World 2 because... well, it's Capcom. Do we know what the people that worked on Generations (Ultimate) are up to?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like recent success stories have convinced some people that everything selling less than 10m isnt worth the time for Capcom or that upcoming MH releases on PS4/XBO could easy repeat the MHW success.

Thats not how this works - which is why Capcom already was working on MHW even while the 3DS games were selling great.
They are in a perfect spot with the MH series where they introduced the mainline series to the big HD market/audience and yet have another big growing market they could tap into for the portable markets.

Its win/win for Capcom. Their absolutely will be a 5th gen MH title on Switch.
people just have a very skewed view of how a big company should handle their biggest series, and also they mix in their fanboyism/"it finally came home!" feelings with their logic
MH world was a massive success and obviously a switch title won't ever sell as well as that game did on 3 platforms, but it's still a title that in the worst possible scenario will sell 4 or 5 million copies worlwide, to think a company will ignore that is just absurd.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
it's not like the MH series are known for their stories or anything, after porting and releasing the latest title in the handheld series to switch, going back and porting an earlier title makes zero sense.
There certainly is a lot of value in releasing classic MH games, especially out of Japan. Even on Switch, XX doesn't make MH4 obsolete. It may not happen this year, but going forward the gabs between MH games will be bigger(already are with World and expansion) and they'd have more room for re-releases of old titles.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Deserves much more, hope more people who enjoyed World give this one a chance. So many unique monsters and mechanics that will never be taken forward!

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My GOTY last year. Nice to see it sold so well. I am really really interesting what this team does next. I really hope they keep the styles but I guess it will be a more traditional MH since it will be the only one for Switch.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There certainly is a lot of value in releasing classic MH games, especially out of Japan. Even on Switch, XX doesn't make MH4 obsolete. It may not happen this year, but going forward the gabs between MH games will be bigger(already are with World and expansion) and they'd have more room for re-releases of old titles.
GU sold well on the switch because a, it was the first and only MH title on the platform and b, it's technically a new title for the west (in japan where it's not a new title, it didn't do anywhere near as well). i doubt a port of an older title, which would be a game that fans have already played in both japan and west, and also would be an older title than G or GU, will do anywhere near as well as GU has done.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
if capcom makes another mh on switch with a new revamp system then i'll get a switch for me. i was fatigue by the same old mh4 system. mhx was the last straw i could play and i just got bored after playing a couple hours in. sure new abilities addon but it still feel the same as in mh4, as i already put in over few hundreds hours on vanilla and g. im sure im not the only one as sales shows, mh4 and mh4g/u has over 4m sales while mhx start declining. i didnt even buy mhxx.

there will be another 4m seller on portable (switch) if its a new system, ala mh5??

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Resources are finite and I can easily imagine a scenario where Capcom has all hands on deck for a next gen GaaS Monster Hunter World 2 because... well, it's Capcom. Do we know what the people that worked on Generations (Ultimate) are up to?

You dont think they can and will expand their MH teams considering the sales expectations for these titles especially compared to their other IPs ?
They arent skipping out on 5m MH Switch sales just because "resources are finite" - they already developed the 5th gen baseline for MH World 2 and the Switch title with MHW. Not every new release results in them having to re-invent the wheel. The resources needed and the jump from MH4 to MHW was already the biggest for the series - yet they were able to continue to release 3DS titles until MHW was done.

I think Capcom will kill 3 other IPs before they will use lack of resources as a reason why Switch isnt getting a MH title in the next couple of years.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You dont think they can and will expand their MH teams considering the sales expectations for these titles especially compared to their other IPs ?
They arent skipping out on 5m MH Switch sales just because "resources are finite" - they already developed the 5th gen baseline for MH World 2 and the Switch title with MHW. Not every new release results in them having to re-invent the wheel. The resources needed and the jump from MH4 to MHW was already the biggest for the series - yet they were able to continue to release 3DS titles until MHW was done.

I think Capcom will kill 3 other IPs before they will use lack of resources as a reason why Switch isnt getting a MH title in the next couple of years.

I think it's equally plausible that they turn the portable team into a live content team that works on MHW2 when the major point of criticism directed towards MHW1 was that post-release content rollout was slow. Especially if they plan on maintaining the series success post-MHW. A new MH for Switch makes sense, obviously, but I think the platform will always play second fiddle to the other systems. Not saying it won't happen because I obviously don't know but it wouldn't be the first time software sales on a Nintendo platform didn't lead to the kind of support one would expect.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
GU sold well on the switch because a, it was the first and only MH title on the platform and b, it's technically a new title for the west (in japan where it's not a new title, it didn't do anywhere near as well). i doubt a port of an older title, which would be a game that fans have already played in both japan and west, and also would be an older title than G or GU, will do anywhere near as well as GU has done.
It doesn't need to do anywhere near GU numbers to justify itself if it's just a port.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems everything sells on Switch. Recently we got news that Civilization VI on Switch exceeded expectations and now this.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
people just have a very skewed view of how a big company should handle their biggest series, and also they mix in their fanboyism/"it finally came home!" feelings with their logic
MH world was a massive success and obviously a switch title won't ever sell as well as that game did on 3 platforms, but it's still a title that in the worst possible scenario will sell 4 or 5 million copies worlwide, to think a company will ignore that is just absurd.

World's success really brought the worst out of the people. There were the brand loyalists looking for payback due to Capcom's "betrayal". Handheld haters who have always wanted MH to be console-only joined the fray. Newcomers were mad about veteran players being "elitists", and decided to act like every older MH title were objectively unplayable (despite sales in Japan indicating otherwise). It was really disappointing seeing how spiteful people could be. I enjoyed MH since the PSP days, and it's disheartening to see so much hatred for Nintendo and handhelds in general.

I am someone who has invested a lot of time into the MH series, and even revived the MH Stories pages on the Wiki single-handedly (nearly all the armor and weapon pages were done by me). I wish people would contribute to the community instead of wasting their time trash talking others because they like MH as a whole instead of just World. People should be happy MHGU sold a million (did my part). I'm still cautious of Capcom's future plans for the Switch, but I put my money where my mouth is.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
World's success really brought the worst out of the people. There were the brand loyalists looking for payback due to Capcom's "betrayal". Handheld haters who have always wanted MH to be console-only joined the fray. Newcomers were mad about veteran players being "elitists", and decided to act like every older MH title were objectively unplayable (despite sales in Japan indicating otherwise). It was really disappointing seeing how spiteful people could be. I enjoyed MH since the PSP days, and it's disheartening to see so much hatred for Nintendo and handhelds in general.

I am someone who has invested a lot of time into the MH series, and even revived the MH Stories pages on the Wiki single-handedly (nearly all the armor and weapon pages were done by me). I wish people would contribute to the community instead of wasting their time trash talking others because they like MH as a whole instead of just World. People should be happy MHGU sold a million (did my part). I'm still cautious of Capcom's future plans for the Switch, but I put my money where my mouth is.
This is a pretty incomplete picture. There was a lot of bitterness and pettiness from everyone. People were convinced MHW would bomb. Hell, even today we get people saying Switch is going to get MH5 even after the devs have said MHW is MH5.

Some people are more invested in individual games/platforms than the franchise as a whole.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
This is a pretty incomplete picture. There was a lot of bitterness and pettiness from everyone. People were convinced MHW would bomb. Hell, even today we get people saying Switch is going to get MH5 even after the devs have said MHW is MH5.

Some people are more invested in individual games/platforms than the franchise as a whole.

Of course, but I'm mentioning the ones that don't get talked about a lot. Most of the time, it's World players insulting basically everyone else for being wrong. We already know this because people complain about Nintendo and handheld gamers in every World thread. At the end of the day, people that believed there would be lower sales in Japan were not wrong. It still overperformed there though.

Also, I'm not sure if people are referring to MH5 as a new title or as a MHW Portable port. I don't think you should read into it as people not treating World as a main title.