• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom updated their million sellers page.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

At the end of September 30, 2018
MHXX (3DS, DL) was at 1.8 million units

At the end of December 31, 2018
MHXX (3DS, NSW, DL) is at 3.0 million units.

So this confirms that MHXX Switch version became a million seller since launching to the rest of the world on August 2018.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It launched a year earlier in Japan, right?

So that 1.2M is presumably almost entirely Western sales. Pretty solid for a very late port.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the investment in a western release was worth it in the end, even though it came way later than many were wanting.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how a new Mon Hun would look for Switch, if they'd use s scaled back version of world's engine, a beefed up 3DS one, or something new to be the new portable engine.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Excellent numbers for the Switch version, especially considering how handicapped it was in both territories

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how a new Mon Hun would look for Switch, if they'd use s scaled back version of world's engine, a beefed up 3DS one, or something new to be the new portable engine.
probably a mix. The big monster models in xx are fine for switch imo. It is everything else that needs improvement.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I didn't have two MH games to juggle but I need to put more time in Gen Ult. Wonder what the next switch MH will be, looking forward to it but would love cross play in the future

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom really needs to get an original Monster Hunter out on Switch soon. Make it multiplatform if necessary but they definitely should have a Monster Hunter releasing on Switch. Clearly an audience for it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
1.2M is lifetime sales, so including Japan.

Oh I see, the Switch SKU hadn't been added to that number after it launched in Japan since it didn't break 1M in Japan? So after it broke 1M they added the Switch SKU's sales to that number including past sales?

Confusing.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I see, the Switch SKU hadn't been added to that number after it launched in Japan since it didn't break 1M in Japan? So after it broke 1M they added the Switch SKU's sales to that number including past sales?

Confusing.
That page only contains titles that sold over 1M. So, yes.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017

Confusing.

They seem to have decided to include many similar SKUs into one entry this time around. Like how they seem to have decided to combine vanilla SFV numbers with Arcade Edition sales this time.

I think they're both on the same engine (MHW not on RE engine but MT Frame work?) could use some assets from both but perhaps with loading screens dividing areas to keep performance up
They're both rooted in MT Framework, but the 3DS games used a variation called MT Framework Mobile that was designed around, well, 3DS hardware, while MHW uses a modified version of the standard MT Framework engine to suit the needs of the team's tech for the larger, seamless worlds, so it's not quite apples-to-apples.

I could see a new Switch entry be a kind of a hybrid of sorts: not the full modified MT Framework that MHW runs on, but seeing as MT Framework works quite well on Switch, a game of a much better visual fidelity than the 3DS games could provide while implementing some of the major design elements of MHW to go with all of the QOL improvements. Assuming, of course, that is the route they want to go in.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned - Console Warring
Doesn't matter. World sold much better on Sony than Nintendo. They should stick to what's working.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what the future of the MH franchise looks like.

They're both rooted in MT Framework, but the 3DS games used a variation called MT Framework Mobile that was designed around, well, 3DS hardware, while MHW uses a modified version of the standard MT Framework engine to suit the needs of the team's tech for the larger, seamless worlds, so it's not quite apples-to-apples.

I could see a new Switch entry be a kind of a hybrid of sorts: not the full modified MT Framework that MHW runs on, but seeing as MT Framework works quite well on Switch, a game of a much better visual fidelity than the 3DS games could provide while implementing some of the major design elements of MHW to go with all of the QOL improvements. Assuming, of course, that is the route they want to go in.

When you say that MT Framework works well on Switch, which games are you referencing?

When you say that MT Framework works well on Switch, which games are you referencing?
Well, we just had Mega Man 11 that ran flawlessly, with the only visual downgrade from the other version being the lack of AA. Other than that, the RE:R ports came out quite well, too.

We've also got Dragon's Dogma coming out in the next couple of months, so they're about to throw some of the more demanding MT Framework titles from last gen on there, so they must feel pretty confident about the future of the engine with the Switch being in the mix. I imagine it's only a matter of time before we get announcements for RE5+6 to go along with everything else.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Doesn't matter. World sold much better on Sony than Nintendo. They should stick to what's working.

This reasoning makes no sense. Imagine someone bringing it up at Capcom:

"Cancel the original Monster Hunter game for Switch! World on PS4 sold more so we should stick to what's working!"

"But, Sir, it'll go on to sell at least a million units and we've got enough resources to support both consoles! Why would you throw that money away?"

"You're fired!"

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
As long as they keep pushing what they have in World I'm game. I like it as a appetizer to what they're doing with World but I need more of that first.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Always knew Generations Ultimate would hit a million worldwide. Even with the graphics hit it's still a well-regarded game that's consistently sold well on Nintendo's previous handheld, so no reason for that to change on the Switch.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we just had Mega Man 11 that ran flawlessly, with the only visual downgrade from the other version being the lack of AA. Other than that, the RE:R ports came out quite well, too.

We've also got Dragon's Dogma coming out in the next couple of months, so they're about to throw some of the more demanding MT Framework titles from last gen on there, so they must feel pretty confident about the future of the engine with the Switch being in the mix. I imagine it's only a matter of time before we get announcements for RE5+6 to go along with everything else.
MHGU, MMXI, REv1-2 and USFII are on MT framework.

Thanks for the responses!

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's a pretty damn good number for a late port of an expansion of a game that's been long invalidated by it's sequel.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I really want to dip into the franchise for the first time on Switch, but would rather wait for an entry that is truly designed for the platform.

Honestly you're probably best just buying MHGU now because I doubt we'll be getting one that is 'truly' designed for the Switch. We may get one with the World quality of life features implemented but there won't be one with drastic changes made to accommodate portability.

That's a pretty damn good number for a late port of an expansion of a game that's been long invalidated by it's sequel.

The game can't be invalidated whilst World remains locked to home consoles/PC.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
That's pretty good. I imagine a proper new title would do extremely well. That could be a good way of doing it from now on. World sequels for PS4/XB1/PC and a separate seres for Switch. Sales would definitley justify that.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for a late, announced via Twitter, unadvertised, up-res of a 3DS game that wasn't even supposed to get an expansion pack. I bet the Cross series (X/Gen and XX/GenU) sales would have come close to 4/4U/4G sales (7.3m vs 8.3m) if they had released GenU close to Switch launch.

Capcom would be fools to forego the portable audience for Monster Hunter.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This reasoning makes no sense. Imagine someone bringing it up at Capcom:

"Cancel the original Monster Hunter game for Switch! World on PS4 sold more so we should stick to what's working!"

"But, Sir, it'll go on to sell at least a million units and we've got enough resources to support both consoles! Why would you throw that money away?"

"You're fired!"
Exactly

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I was wondering when Capcom would get it's first million seller on Switch.

With results like these coming from Switch for XX and PC for World they could have a ridiculous launch for the next flagship MH if it launches everywhere at the same time.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty surprised for something so late. Curious what Capcom does with this info ( or doesn't do).