• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy to see how far they've come.

When RWBY first started, I remember it had weird shadow people in the background scenes as random civilians. Things are so much more detailed now.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we don't really have an official trailer of this yet (and RWBY Volume 6). The RT animation department seems to want to show as little as possible (which isn't inherently a bad thing).

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that Evan Narcisse is one of the writers for this. I guess I have to give it a chance.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
it still feels like they are throwing entirely too much money at this thing

I do find it hilarious that all of the pilot characters in the "main team" are voiced by high profile actors... and Blaine Gibson.
is he going to be the one who dies to prove the situation is serious?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
it still feels like they are throwing entirely too much money at this thing

is he going to be the one who dies to prove the situation is serious?
I'm afraid that they spent all this money on famous names and shit but the writing/story/characters are subpar. We haven't seen much of anything yet and I hope the show is good, but RWBY had a bunch of hype going into it and it turned out pretty weak.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
But, to be fair, so far everything is looking very good. Especially those character designs.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
New Genlock Poster:

DoibYiEU0AA04gn.jpg:large

New Character Announcements:

https://twitter.com/RoosterTeeth/status/1047458745121296385

https://twitter.com/RoosterTeeth/status/1047461266971750400

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the budget tradeoff that comes with gen:Lock having such a star-studded cast.

It's not a budget constraint most of the time.

It's mostly always a purely "stylistic choice" in an attempt to mimick 2D animation.

The directors of RWBY experimented with doing it, but realized it didn't look good so they decided against it.

So not sure why Gen Lock decided to go with it. Again, its a purely stylistic choice... but I don't know why so many studios are so insistent on using it when there is so much backlash against it.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
It's not a budget constraint most of the time.

It's mostly always a purely "stylistic choice" in an attempt to mimick 2D animation.

The directors of RWBY experimented with doing it, but realized it didn't look good so they decided against it.

So not sure why Gen Lock decided to go with it. Again, its a purely stylistic choice... but I don't know why so many studios are so insistent on using it when there is so much backlash against it.
Yeah - personally i think it's to mimic 3D Anime which a lot of the time tend to use reduced framerates but i could be wrong. The show does look intresting but i feel that RWBY's been kinda pushed to the side lines

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly i am looking foward to this to some extent - however it's likely going to be heavily criticised by the RWBY Critics (like FMF,Floof). It's going to be judged to the stand standard as RWBY (likely even more so due to the amount of time they are putting into this).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - personally i think it's to mimic 3D Anime which a lot of the time tend to use reduced framerates but i could be wrong. The show does look intresting but i feel that RWBY's been kinda pushed to the side lines

I mean, it does make sense for it to get pushed back a bit.

Gen Lock has a bunch of high profile actors attached to it, and is a huge opportunity for RT Animation.

Like, before I used to think them having Vic Mignona was a huge get (I know Elijah Wood was in RvB, but that was mostly because he was a fan of the show)

So with so much high profile talent attached, they kinda need to put a lot more emphasis to make sure the show is good.

Where as RWBY has a dedicated fanbase (although considering how panned Volume 5 was, I understand why this Gen Lock stuff can be disheartening)

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I mean, it does make sense for it to get pushed back a bit.

Gen Lock has a bunch of high profile actors attached to it, and is a huge opportunity for RT Animation.

Like, before I used to think them having Vic Mignona was a huge get (I know Elijah Wood was in RvB, but that was mostly because he was a fan of the show)

So with so much high profile talent attached, they kinda need to put a lot more emphasis to make sure the show is good.

Where as RWBY has a dedicated fanbase (although considering how panned Volume 5 was, I understand why this Gen Lock stuff can be disheartening)
I have seen some people argue that it's incredibly disrespectful to Monty's legacy. Not sure if i entirely agree though

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen some people argue that it's incredibly disrespectful to Monty's legacy. Not sure if i entirely agree though

Volume 5 or Gen Locks existence (although from lurking around RWBY communities, I can imagine people saying both)

Imo, I don't think its disrespectful at all.

RWBY got its start literally because Burnie passively told Monty "look, I need you to get this stuff for RvB 10 done, and then you can do whatever you want"

Monty took this seriously and made the red trailer by himself, and said "this is what I want to do" and RT obliged.

In the same sense, Gray is doing the same thing with Gen Lock. He wants to make something, and RT is letting him.

I remember from lurking on the RWBY reddit there was a huge debacle surrounding Kim Newman being put onto Gen Lock considering she was the most high profile animator on the show due to her animating some of the best sequences in the Maya era of the show...

but this honestly mirrors the fact that when RWBY started up, Monty siphoned talent away from RvB which is why the animation in the chorus trilogy looks like a step down from the Freelancer arc.

I think the only difference that really sets these apart is when RWBY started it was arguably at the high point of RvB, where as Gen Lock is starting up at what is arguably the low point of RWBY.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Volume 5 or Gen Locks existence (although from lurking around RWBY communities, I can imagine people saying both)

Imo, I don't think its disrespectful at all.

RWBY got its start literally because Burnie passively told Monty "look, I need you to get this stuff for RvB 10 done, and then you can do whatever you want"

Monty took this seriously and made the red trailer by himself, and said "this is what I want to do" and RT obliged.

In the same sense, Gray is doing the same thing with Gen Lock. He wants to make something, and RT is letting him.

I remember from lurking on the RWBY reddit there was a huge debacle surrounding Kim Newman being put onto Gen Lock considering she was the most high profile animator on the show due to her animating some of the best sequences in the Maya era of the show...

but this honestly mirrors the fact that when RWBY started up, Monty siphoned talent away from RvB which is why the animation in the chorus trilogy looks like a step down from the Freelancer arc.

I think the only difference that really sets these apart is when RWBY started it was arguably at the high point of RvB, where as Gen Lock is starting up at what is arguably the low point of RWBY.

I am mostly concerned that a lot of RWBY's best animators who'll be moving to Hemlock which will negatively affect RWBY

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I am mostly concerned that a lot of RWBY's best animators who'll be moving to Hemlock which will negatively affect RWBY

Gen:Lock also took Death Battle's best animator, but that seems to have caused them to expand their methods of visualizing the battles, which gave us the awesome live action Daredevil vs Nightwing fight.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Gen:Lock also took Death Battle's best animator, but that seems to have caused them to expand their methods of visualizing the battles, which gave us the awesome live action Daredevil vs Nightwing fight.
DB has it's own 3D who did Optimus Vs Gundam so DB is in fairly good hands,it's more RWBY I am worried about

Oct 25, 2017
DB has it's own 3D who did Optimus Vs Gundam so DB is in fairly good hands,it's more RWBY I am worried about

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I thought the Adam stuff they showcased was pretty good, but Adam's fight style is pretty simple.

They aren't matching the absolute speed of Monty's animations, but I think what they showed is good and hopefully them deciding to do one short instead of 3 means resources are better spent on the show proper.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

I thought the Adam stuff they showcased was pretty good, but Adam's fight style is pretty simple.

They aren't matching the absolute speed of Monty's animations, but I think what they showed is good and hopefully them deciding to do one short instead of 3 means resources are better spent on the show proper.
I hope so but keep in mind they are working on Genlock and RWBY at the same time

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Monty seems like he drew inspiration from fighting games for his timing, while the rest of the team seems to have a more traditional film/tv animation style. They put more focus on the anticipation, which slows things down a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Monty seems like he drew inspiration from fighting games for his timing, while the rest of the team seems to have a more traditional film/tv animation style. They put more focus on the anticipation, which slows things down a bit.

Oh 100%

Monty was in game development before he joined RoosterTeeth (he was the combat designer for Afro Samurai)

In Dead Fantasy he included Evo Moment 37. His first videos before Haloid were him and his friends in a mock fighting game.

He even went on the Mike Ross and Gootecks show and said "his dream was that one day their would be a RWBY fighting game on the main stage at EVO" and it happened this year (If Marvel Infinite had to die for his dream to come true, then I think it was a good sacrifice)

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah which is a different sort of style. You could make an argument they should have kept to that style as close as possible but i am mixed on that because you animate the best when it's in the style you prefer

OP
OP

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Rooster Teeth did a surprise preview of the first episode today during their Christmas animation marathon. At first they announced it would be the latest episode of RWBY, and they had teased something with Gen:Lock, but it was quite a surprise (though honestly, i kinda saw it coming)