• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike Bloomberg has contracted some of the biggest meme-makers on the internet to post sponsored content on Instagram promoting his presidential campaign.
The Bloomberg campaign is working with Meme 2020, a new company formed by some of the people behind extremely influential accounts.

Mick Purzycki is the lead strategist of the Meme 2020 project. He is also the chief executive of Jerry Media, a media and marketing company that is a powerful force in the influencer economy. The company's portfolio includes some of the most notable meme accounts on Instagram. Jerry Media was at the center of controversy last year after a debate around proper crediting in meme culture.

In January, Mr. Purzycki tapped a number of large influencers who he had formed relationships with through his association with Jerry Media. (Elliot Tebele, the founder of Jerry Media, has no involvement in the project.)

The campaign, which began this week, has already placed sponsored posts on Instagram accounts including @GrapeJuiceBoys, a meme page with more than 2.7 million followers; Jerry Media's own most popular account, with more than 13.3 million followers; and @Tank.Sinatra, a member with more than 2.3 million followers.

The accounts all posted Bloomberg campaign ads in the form of fake direct messages from the candidate.

Example:

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/...ubHabSYQbsdv6YGuvpMjYs3GILLyUeJO5q3Cqk-ZBxr_E

What a time to be alive

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Literally buying everyone up fuck this guy.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Awful, but Bloomberg is tossing everything at it and it must be sticking somewhat given his rise in the national polls.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
This is why Jerry Media is familiar to me, they were the promoters of the failed Fyre Festival:

www.theverge.com

Bloomberg hired Fyre Festival promoters to make his campaign memes

The ads are drawing criticism from the influencers’ followers

When this is even too low for notorious meme thief Thefatjewish (Ostrovsky), you know its bad:
But Ostrovsky criticized Resch's post, saying he personally couldn't get behind Bloomberg. "They asked me to do it, I said no. I grew up in New York City so I can tell you firsthand, Bloomberg is a colossal shitbag," Ostrovsky writes in his comment. "I'd encourage any meme account owner to take schmoney from basically any brand … because brands are trash and deserve to have their money taken, but this dystopian black mirror simulation is too much for me…"

Regardless, tying Jerry Media to Fyre is dumb. They are basically a new media ad agency at this point.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit these are real?

I saw some of the pages put up messages from Mike but thought it was fake. Oh my god.

How do you do fellow kids?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Literally all the major meme accounts on Instagram had a DM from Bloomberg, I have no idea if it's real or not

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I find his campaign strangely fascinating. A guy with low popularity in key Democratic voting blocks, despite being very well known (so people actively hating him, not just ignoring him) tries to win the primary and GE with no other advantage than lots of money. No charisma, no policies, no convincing narratives, just cash.

OP
OP

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find his campaign strangely fascinating. A guy with low popularity in key Democratic voting blocks, despite being very well known (so people actively hating him, not just ignoring him) tries to win the primary and GE with no other advantage than lots of money. No charisma, no policies, no convincing narratives, just cash.
As soon as he entered I thought he would win. The cash and having the media in his pocket can go a long way.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Literally all the major meme accounts on Instagram had a DM from Bloomberg, I have no idea if it's real or not

The DMs are a "meta joke". The paid campaign is very real.

As I said upthread, social media mememakers are the new Madison Avenue. In 50 years there will be a show called Mad Men 2020 about them.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I appreciate nobody likes Bloomberg here, but these are very clever and effective.

He at least bought good people.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hope none of this works, but with how this works, it likely will. Man this sucks. America to the highest bidder.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I believe people would have to be paid to post nice things about Mike Bloomberg.

After all, cutting a presidential figure that stands above the fray of day to day politics, Mike Bloomberg is the clear best choice in the 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary.

I was talking to my father the other day, and he said, "Son, if there's one thing I'm happy to still be alive for, it's to see the candidacy of Mike Bloomberg blossom like a spring flower." After wiping away a tear, I had to agree. I like Mike, and so should you.

So the next time you see a funny Mike Bloomberg meme or hear the casual drops of crystallized wit and wisdom that drops from Mike Bloomberg's mouth (I call them Bloombergs) remember: the biggest like and share button of all is at your local ballot box. Drop a like for Mike!

$$$

Where is he getting this money from?

Dude has something like 60 billion dollars.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Bloomberg is going to get the bid and then get slaughtered by trump, who asked for this shit? Even Pete would be better.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I laughed at this one

363.gif

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
This is a mindbogglingly huge operation. I know some people working at Bloomberg LP; nothing high-level, just Software Devs. From what they tell me, he's operationalized large parts of his company in service of his campaign. Man was like a deity over there even before he decided to run for President.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
This will be very interesting to see if you can literally just buy your way into presidency. I think there might be a riot if he becomes the primary candidate.