• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ethics?

An entertainer doesn't have any need for ethics.
being anentertainer doesnt shield you from everything
Yeah, at the risk of donning a tin foil hat, I really doubt that this is all that Hannity has been up to behind-the-scenes with Michael Cohen. But yeah, even if this is all that he did, he's still got a LOT of egg on his face right now.
he doesnt. right wing media will not care. people supporting trump still love him or love him because he is criticized.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a class act.

I wonder at what point Hannity pleads that his on-air persona is all an act to avoid scrutiny/accountability for his words. Seems like the go-to defense for right-wing pundits when they get the screw put to them.
he already sorta did this when he was interviewed by Ted Koppel. He definitely catagorized himself as an opinion show not a journalist. However those opinions are most definitely his.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For legitimate real estate investors out there...why would someone need to create a bunch of shell companies to hide behind when you buy and sell sell hundreds of property?

Why not buy them as yourself?

Why not buy them all under a pseudonym?

Why not buy them under one shell company?

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For legitimate real estate investors out there...why would someone need to create a bunch of shell companies to hide behind when you buy and sell sell hundreds of property?

Because he's getting shady help from HUD?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

If you have lots and lots of different companies that are generally hard to find connections between, it makes this kind of thing difficult to notice as opposed to all those transactions being linked to one name (personal, business, pseudonym, or otherwise)

I read some stuff on that Russian journalist who was killed a few years ago that jump started a lot of this shit and IIRC he had discovered the same kind of thing with Russian oligarchs and US business leaders in terms of (I think) oil deals. They had numerous international corporations that all had/have vague ties to this one company that nobody was able to find the owners of.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how he self incriminated himself by saying he "only" got advice on real estate from cohen.

Bernie is gonna wreck shop so hard in 2020 against trump.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have lots and lots of different companies that are generally hard to find connections between, it makes this kind of thing difficult to notice as opposed to all those transactions being linked to one name (personal, business, pseudonym, or otherwise)

What would be a reason why you wouldn't want people to know you funnel $100 million in the buying and selling of a bunch of properties?

Simple embarrassment of seeming rich?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
What would be a reason why you wouldn't want people to know you funnel $100 million in the buying and selling of a bunch of properties?

Simple embarrassment of seeming rich?
Assuming this is all it was and there isn't some other weird shit attached to it (I honestly don't know and am not saying that to imply I think it's more than that), I've seen a bit of talk on here about Hannity using his show to criticize the very policies that he is taking advantage of through doing this. So it's at the very least a dishonesty/journalistic integrity thing.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

THIS! Great post. My theory? Spread out the dirt so people don't see a big pile, only isolated patches

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dozens of the properties were bought at a discount in 2013, after banks foreclosed on their previous owners for defaulting on mortgages. Before and after then, Hannity sharply criticised Barack Obama for the US foreclosure rate. In January 2016, Hannity said there were "millions more Americans suffering under this president" partly because of foreclosures.

Of course.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017

There is no legitimate reason. You do this to hide things.
Non-crooks don't use shell companies to buy property.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
870 homes for $10 of legal work.

That's roughly 62 seconds for an average lawyer. 870 homes in 62 seconds. Pretty efficient work from Cohen tbh.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no legitimate reason. You do this to hide things.
Non-crooks don't use shell companies to buy property.

tumblr_otnxsxn9Os1uzry01o1_r1_500.gif

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man If Hannity is telling the truth and he only used Cohen for real estate then it's probably more damning. He could hire any laywer with the money he's got but he chose a criminal one. I'd say it's likely Cohen is helping him make money illegally.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of it is illegal, however, it shows that he has a MASSIVE conflict of interest in what he reports on and his ethics are safely non-existent. It's not illegal to publically rail on Obama's foreclosure policies and then make use of them yourself, but it does make you an untrustworthy hypocrite.
We just found out about it. Maybe give it some time before saying it's all above water.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they haven't invested their money their because they aren't the fucking face of a giant mega-corp with the ear of the president that's making absurd amounts of money ya knob.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Well, ideally you would buy them as a bunch of LLCs. The reason you use multiple LLCs is to limit your potential damages from lawsuits. You definitely don't want to buy them as yourself if you're going to make a business of it. Eventually you'll get sued for something.

But using just straight shell companies looks shady, even if no shady intent was there.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Claims to be a patriot of the USA and 'loves his country'
2. Sets up secret shell companies for his businesses in the USA
3. Creates huge property empire and pays minimal if any tax to the USA
4. USA undermined and public services suffer as a consequence of the shortfall.
5. No repercussions whatsoever, millions of Americans don't care / believe he is smart for doing this.

The USA is baffling country. These so called patriots evade paying legitimate taxes and don't give a shit about the consequences. Whats worse is that there are tens of million of Americans from poor families with big US flags outside their doors, and 'I love my country' bumper stickers on their cars and they are not only indifferent, but are inspired by such behaviour.

Is it just me that gets a bit of pride knowing that my taxes are contributing to the betterment of society? That I am contributing to the roads, hospitals and schools- It makes me feel like a stakeholder in my country.

You see Americans standing up and singing the national anthem, with US flags everywhere and shouting 'U.S.A! U.S.A!' but most of them aren't patriotic, not really. They don't care about their community or society improving, they don't care about kids in school having the necessary material to get an education, they don't care about someone getting the proper medical attention they need.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

One other possible legitimate reason- his name carries a negative connotation in some parts of the US and with some people. They might avoid his stuff, or communities might try to keep him out if his name was on something.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Well, ideally you would buy them as a bunch of LLCs. The reason you use multiple LLCs is to limit your potential damages from lawsuits. You definitely don't want to buy them as yourself if you're going to make a business of it. Eventually you'll get sued for something.

Was going to post this. I create new LLCs every time my company buys a new property or enters into a lease. Sometimes for joint ventures too. Better to segregate the liability and create more hoops for potential creditors. It's a fairly common practice. It's also all consolidated on the tax return, so nothing shady about it. I've probably created over 50+ companies at my current job. CT Corp loves me.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah having several she'll companies is odd because when you purchase property you can stay anonymous. Depending on how these she'll companies are on paper it kgbt be to avoid certain taxes or because the money he is using isn't actually his. He's def up to something I mean any other day it's normal business but Cohen is the big red flag wich means he's gonna be under scrutiny for being in the same orbit.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you do it for liability reasons and each property is a separate company.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017

Not sure if it applies to this situation but I was talking to someone who owns a couple places and rents them out and he has a company per place. It's named after him and then the street the house is on. He said it's something everyone does in case you get someone who wants to sue you. They'd have to sue the company instead which protects any property that shell company doesn't own. This is in Washington State.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
While this newest revelation about Hannity is interesting, I do believe he is honestly too smart to have done anything truly illegal. He's a hypocritical unmoral shitbag who I'm sure has used legal loopholes to his great benefit while simultaneously criticizing said loopholes, but I'm betting he's stayed within the limits of the law very carefully and just barely.

I doubt anything other than negative press and embarrassment will come of this for him. Unfortunately.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The nice thing about this getting some attention is that maybe we can talk about the fact that landlords are increasingly not working class people who save up and buy a building to help stabilize their retirement income, but massive corporate initiatives that tie down swathes of housing throughout the country.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While this newest revelation about Hannity is interesting, I do believe he is honestly too smart to have done anything truly illegal. He's a hypocritical unmoral shitbag who I'm sure has used legal loopholes to his great benefit while simultaneously criticizing said loopholes, but I'm betting he's stayed within the limits of the law very carefully and just barely.

I doubt anything other than negative press and embarrassment will come of this for him. Unfortunately.

Why consult Cohen on real-estate?

Oct 25, 2017

If he was someone not planning on breaking the law, he wouldn't have been in constant contact with Julian Assange on twitter.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Why consult Cohen on real-estate?

My hunch is that, when all of the dirt gets exposed (and it will), he probably just had Cohen advise him on which property laws could be abused in order to take advantage of them, most likely state laws.

If we are super lucky, Cohen might have pointed him to some real estate with Russian ties and unknowingly entangled Hannity in some of Trump's money laundering shit. I really doubt Hannity would do anything illegal willingly though, I just get the impression he's too smart to go down that road. He knows full well the crap he says is outrageous and false, just like the other conservative mouthpieces do. He's just one of the smarter ones doing it, playing the part to the hilt while taking advantage of his position behind the scenes, even abusing the very things he crusades against.

I of course could be very wrong though! :)

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha 'the latest fake news attack'.

How can it be fake if you're admitting to it...? Do his listeners have the mental capacity to connect the dots?

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
He's such a piece of shit. Would love nothing more for him to somehow get caught up in all of this mess and lose everything.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, somethings up. Hope there is lots of car chases coming up.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...eclosures?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Post_on_Reddit

Sean Hannity's real estate venture linked to fraudulent property dealer

Sean Hannity's real estate venture bought houses through a property dealer who was involved in a criminal conspiracy to fraudulently obtain foreclosed homes, according to records reviewed by the Guardian.

In 2012, a shell company linked to the Fox News host bought 11 homes in Georgia that had been purchased by the dealer, Jeff Brock, following foreclosures. Brock transferred the properties to corporate vehicles that sold them on to the Hannity-linked company at a profit. Brock pleaded guilty in 2016 to federal charges of bank fraud and conspiracy for his role in an operation to rig foreclosure auctions between 2007 and 2012. He was sentenced to six months in prison and had to pay more than $166,000 in fines and restitution.

Some of the houses sold on to the Hannity-linked firm in 2012 had been acquired by Brock from banks later named by prosecutors among his victims
. But the justice department declined to identify specific properties sold in the rigged auctions. Hannity has not been accused of any wrongdoing and there is no evidence he was aware that Brock was involved in fraud.
Christopher Reeves, an attorney for Hannity, said the Fox News host was not involved in choosing the houses bought via Brock and "has no knowledge whether these properties were involved in the fraud".

Reeves said neither Hannity nor the company used to buy the properties "had any knowledge regarding Mr Brock's wrongdoing" before being informed by the Guardian on Monday.

An attorney for Brock, Don Samuel, said in an email: "Jeff has nothing to say."

He just happened to stumble onto cheap property from a crook, right. I hate it when that happens.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Son of a bitch complains about foreclosure and then buys 870 homes? Fuck you.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trump collision not panning out. Need to find anything not to look silly.

Hopefully this was enough of a post not to be banned. If it was a hot take like everyone else in a thread where I post "fuck trump!", at least that would be tolerated.

So good. Go after Hannity. Must find anything.

I hope the ban was worth it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Matt Pearce @mattdpearce

NEW: After being unmasked as a landlord, Sean Hannity said that he was "investing my personal money in communities that badly need such investment." So we checked out one of the neighborhoods that Hannity bought. He's jacked up rents by 50%. https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-hannity-landlord-20180427-story.html …

4:08 PM - Apr 27, 2018

Also a bit more on the HUD hookup:

The Guardian: Sean Hannity: 400% rise in eviction orders since host bought Georgia apartment complex

Hampton Place is one of two apartment complexes in Georgia that Hannity bought in 2014 for $22.7m. The purchases were partly funded with $17.9m in mortgages guaranteed by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. Apartments at the site are currently advertised for rent from $860 a month.

The court records suggest the rate of eviction orders at Hampton Place has increased by more than 400% under Hannity's ownership. Landlords can obtain the orders from a magistrate judge when a tenant taken to court for unpaid rent fails to respond or pay within seven days. The orders empower local sheriff's deputies to forcibly remove tenants and their property.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I think everyone was expecting something like that when we found out he was a landlord.

Just think, this is the legit stuff that's going through his normal attorneys.