• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm livid. Trump doesn't need a fucking lawyer when half the government is running interference for him.

I REALLY wish there was something I could do besides vote.
You can run too. Smaller levels of government make the biggest difference in people's daily lives and are most responsible for shaping the moral character of a community.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
That was powerful and compelling from front to back. There's going to be more than a few bits and pieces of this testimony that will be studied and scrutinized YEARS from now, and I get to tell my grandchildren I watched the whole thing live with fucking Twitch chat going the whole time
The fusion of the Washington Post, Twitch Chat, and a Congressional testimony was surreal, for sure.

Nov 14, 2017

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
land-a-job-with-the-help-of-seinfeld-32-638.jpg
Screen-Shot-2017-04-25-at-7.54.12-PM-600x302.png

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Still completely bizarre to me that Cohen is going to jail for committing two felonies with Trump, but it's somehow not a big deal on Trump's side. Trump does campaign finance violation: "personal money can't be a campaign finance violation". Cohen says he is limited in what he can say due to ongoing investigations:"coached by the Dems!". Reality doesn't exist in so many right-wing opinions

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Cummings' closing statement was great.

You guys have to understand that there are very formal decorum rules for HoC proceedings - there's a reason why Tlaib needed to clarify that she was not calling any singular rep racist. It's also why all the formal language was used for incorporating tweets into the official documentation.

Things don't change overnight. The freshmen did a great job - can't wait to see what more they do as we continue on to the general election.

Nov 14, 2017
I don't see how you could watch the part about Cohen's daughter and honestly believe that.
Because I've seen guys like that before? They can just sit there and fake emote to make you believe whatever. It's amazing how easily some people get suckered by it.

When you listen to all the other reports about him - the constant shifting of blame, the self aggrandisement, the fact he was willing to commit crime without any hesitation - it's clear he has strong sociopathic tendencies. He's just putting on a show because he got caught.

It's great he's shifted sides and is now dunking on Trump, but if you think he's doing it for any other reason than because he thinks it's to his advantage right now, you're a sucker.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What I got out of this whole thing was that Cortez was the only one trying to do her job properly. Man, she got like ten names in five minutes. Shes obviously setting up the pins for something much bigger than Cohen. I wish the rest of the party were as focused.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Still completely bizarre to me that Cohen is going to jail for committing two felonies with Trump, but it's somehow not a big deal on Trump's side. Trump does campaign finance violation: "personal money can't be a campaign finance violation". Cohen says he is limited in what he can say due to ongoing investigations:"coached by the Dems!". Reality doesn't exist in so many right-wing opinions
He gave two names though, Weisselberg and Don Jr. I guess Weisselberg is already cooperating. But Trump Jr won't get away with this, he's a co-conspirator.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it heartening. Too often geek culture seems to be leaning towards jackass politics.
i totally agree. i forget what the last hearing WaPo put up on Twitch but i mentioned in the thread then how pleasantly surprised the chat was almost unanimously dunking on the right, which was very much not what i expected. at the time i was hesitant to even say anything lest i jinx it by just acknowledging it lol, but after today i'm hopeful it wasn't a fluke, fingers crossed

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Because I've seen guys like that before? They can just sit there and fake emote to make you believe whatever. It's amazing how easily some people get suckered by it.

When you listen to all the other reports about him - the constant shifting of blame, the self aggrandisement, the fact he was willing to commit crime without any hesitation - it's clear he has strong sociopathic tendencies. He's just putting on a show because he got caught.

It's great he's shifted sides and is now dunking on Trump, but if you think he's doing it for any other reason than because he thinks it's to his advantage right now, you're a sucker.
His daughter can't eat crackers, dude; she has braces.

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like you have no familiarity with Elijah Cummings or something. His career is full of great speeches. He gave another great one just like three weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djGQhjrR9MM
But the content of that speech was pure bullshit; the whole theme was a 'return to normalcy', as though before Trump things were normal and better. Lets remember what normal looked like, shall we?

Normal was Obama waging an endless drone war in Africa and the Middle East; it was Obama failing to prosecute or hold accountable anyone for the financial crisis; it was Dubya lying about weapons of mass destruction. It's such a load of crap and you shouldn't fall for it.

billion

Dec 22, 2017
I have nothing but respect for Cohen to actually put it all on the table. The methods Mr. Jordan and Mr. Meadows were using to misinform uneducated viewers on the real issues was really sad.

The American public want to hear him out and could care less about foreign affairs at the moment. Let Cohen speak and let him serve his time.

I hope people take away from this that don't let greed take the wheel.

I consider my political views to be republican and I'm disappointed on who is representing the republican party ATM. People like Jordan and Meadows shouldn't be representing United States of America

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
i'm glad someone else holds the same deep appreciation for this shit as i do. it's 100% the kind product borne of the fucked-up technology fueled fuckscape we're living in, and something that you would be institutionalized for trying to explain a decade earlier. but it's kind of bizarrely comforting seeing Twitch chat being totally on brand as Twitch chat, but with their skepticism and mockery squarely aimed at conservative politicians. weird times, dawg.
Shit's impossible to even keep up with. Extremely annoying at worst, distracting at best.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Well fuck

Thats exactly how things are being run at the moment

Its unsustainable

I think the ultimate trick is that it's actually how the game is always played. We all veer between sincerity and insincerity.

The point is what the game is being played for, and how the values we hold but never meet influence us.

As much as I am contemptuous of how shame has been used by institutions to disempower people, I think modesty and shame have a significant modifying role in how this game is played. We all fail, we all lie, we all dissemble. But only some of us feel bad about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

None of that matters. All that matters is if he was being truthful in his testimony, not why or who gains.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Republicans are just plain scum, tripping themselves over at this hearing to suck on Trump's sphincter

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So if he wasn't Pres, he'd already be in cuffs, right? He's been named as a co-conspirator in a federal crime re campaign finance, and credible claims of bank fraud, insurance fraud, etc.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's not like he has a choice? Secret Service will remove him from office, by force if need be. Once the new president is sworn in, Trump will lose all presidential power- that's a non-issue.

RIght?
Bill Maher has been saying this for months. It might prove to be more difficult than we thought if hundreds or thousands of Trump supporters decide to arm up at Trump order.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
All these hearings serve as fodder for the respective media. Fox News will run with the republican complaining and msnbc and cnn will play both sides with commentary and therein lies the issue.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that was a powerful close. It feels like some of these Reps actually do realize American democracy is on a tightrope, and it really could fall off on their watch unless something is done.
You could see the urgency when the first legislation Pelosi moved to vote for was HR1 for voting rights. Take democracy for granted and you could easily lose it to scoundrels who prey on our worst fears and instincts.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cliff notes?

Sadly I was in meetings all day at work and couldn't watch. Damn implementation week.