• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the stuff she said about language I think MD addressed quite well. She never said it was directed at her. As for her accusations about blacklisitng etc, he also made it quite clear he didn't. Ask for the masturbation, who knows. That said, I beleve his account more than I do hers.

"What is a hostile work environment?"

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Of course she would. Why wouldn't she? A bigger publication with a good reputation with a wider reach so her story doesn't get buried or brushed away. It's done on this site and rightfully so "daily mirror, take this with a grain of salt". And the same if she were to go through a tabloid magazine.

Dammed if you do dammed if you don't it seems. Guess she's just trying to make a quick buck one way or the other. And if she did it on her personal Twitter, you get people saying how Twitter isn't the place to do it. How should she do this then? Everything is just going to be used against her. It already does in the cases of other women who come forward with this.
No no, I wasn't saying that it was bad for her to go to the big publications — i was just clarifying that the other scenario you came up with (that she was going to many publications because some are shittier than others) wasn't accurate.

There are tons of other positive interpretations:
1. She was trying to find the reputable publication that would treat her story with the most respect
2. She was trying to find the journalist she could most trust
3. She was worried about her story getting rejected by some of them and she wanted to assure it would get out in at least one reputable publication, etc.

Personally i think that going through a reputable publication is the right way to go.

At the same time, the reason I'm taking a wait and see approach on this one is because there is also the (low) chance that she may have been shopping an embellished story around to the highest bidder. So, I'm waiting for confirmation in the form of, for example, other accusers coming forward, or friends or family that corroborate that she told them about this way back then, etc.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this is another one I am gonna wait for more to come out. If he did it then fuck him, but I am gonna need a bit more than that.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
False allegations happen though... and they ruin lives. I don't subscribe to "trust all women" or "women don't lie" or whatever the mantra was in regards to sexual impropriety because factually it isn't true. I'm not calling her a liar at this point but I'm not going to blindly believe anything that any accuser says.
You are not wrong that false accusations happen but the deck is so stacked against women historically and false accusations are generally rare from everything I have heard, so I personally tend to accept what the initial woman says until proven otherwise.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you know #FalseAccusationsAreCommon So of course people say she's lying.
Yeah, I CONSTANTLY see that popup on twitter. I guess it really is common for women to come forward with false allegations.
Gotta add in #NotAllMen and #InnocentUntilGuilty for good measure
You two don't even need to make one up.

Another lawyer already made one for your, #WhatAboutMe

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lawyer-compares-me-too-movement-to-japanese-internment-camps.15758/

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its really not. I had to click the link then another link to get to the actual article describing the incident. Can we not just link directly to articles and pull relevant quotes?

"She alleged he masturbated in front of her during a one-on-one script meeting in his apartment in 1989 and that she rushed out, feeling humiliated.

"I realised he thought he could do anything he wanted because he was so much more powerful than I was," she said, adding that she ran home and vowed to never be alone with him again. She finished working for him later that year."

No no, I wasn't saying that it was bad for her to go to the big publications — i was just clarifying that the other scenario you came up with (that she was going to many publications because some are shittier than others) wasn't accurate.

There are tons of other positive interpretations:
1. She was trying to find the reputable publication that would treat her story with the most respect
2. She was trying to find the journalist she could most trust
3. She was worried about her story getting rejected by some of them and she wanted to assure it would get out in at least one reputable publication, etc.

Personally i think that going through a reputable publication is the right way to go.

At the same time, the reason I'm taking a wait and see approach on this one is because there is also the (low) chance that she may have been shopping an embellished story around to the highest bidder. So, I'm waiting for confirmation in the form of, for example, other accusers coming forward, or friends or family that corroborate that she told them about this way back then, etc.

Alright, sorry. That's my bad for not understanding.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User was Warned: Derailing. A random twitter user has nothing to do with the Douglas allegations. (Please do not quote/respond to this post any further.)
i read a bunch of her quotes about what happened and it sounds believable, also sounds like something michael douglas would have done back then too. what is sad is you have people like this who hurt the movement with comments like this

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i read a bunch of her quotes about what happened and it sounds believable, also sounds like something michael douglas would have done back then too. what is sad is you have people like this who hurt the movement with comments like this

Wow. This is terrible.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
"She alleged he masturbated in front of her during a one-on-one script meeting in his apartment in 1989 and that she rushed out, feeling humiliated.

"I realised he thought he could do anything he wanted because he was so much more powerful than I was," she said, adding that she ran home and vowed to never be alone with him again. She finished working for him later that year."

right, that is a summary. Here is the full story

At script meetings in his apartment, "Michael was usually barefoot, his blue oxford shirt unbuttoned to his navel," she writes. "I sat across the room on the yellow silk couch taking notes." Then one afternoon in early 1989, as they brainstormed an idea about an E.T.-like character, she recalls him sliding down the back of his chair and onto the floor. "Michael unzipped his chinos and I registered something amiss. Still complimenting my additions to our E.T. imitation, his voice lowered at least half an octave. I peered at him and saw he'd inserted both hands into his unzipped pants. I realized to my horror that he was rubbing his private parts. Within seconds his voice cracked and it appeared to me he'd had an orgasm."

Braudy writes that she closed her notebook and rushed for the door: "I said nothing. I was surprised I wasn't falling to pieces even though I was humiliated. I realized he thought he could do anything he wanted because he was so much more powerful than I was. Michael ran barefoot after me to the elevator, zipping his fly and buckling his belt. 'Hey, thank you, you're good. You helped me, thank you, thank you.'"

from the actual article https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...alleged-harassment-media-metoo-moment-1075609 that should be in the OP so people don't have to find links in a news post about a article.

With the full quote you can tell its not a "walked in on him in his apartment" story.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My view on this hinges on the masturbation allegation really. Both parties have confirmed the language angle - with slight difference Douglas takes view none of it was directed at her and she notes some of it was in terms of comments on her looks. TBH at that time swearing, etc. was commonplace in offices and unless she can show she asked for him (and others) to tone it down because it offended her and they didn't and deliberately continued I don't see that going anywhere or amounting to squat. Even today as a manager my direction from HR is that while people should avoid language that could offend staff are allowed a warning and the person who feels offended has to register this either directly or with HR when it comes to language not directed at them.

Now the masturbation accusation would represent clear harassment and abuse - while we drank, smoked and swore back then that's clearly never okay or acceptable.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
BBC isn't the source of the news, they're merely reporting on HR's story. OP was being disingenuous from the start.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...alleged-harassment-media-metoo-moment-1075609

Is it possible that the BBC article is just what the OP saw? I don't see how that's disingenuous. Hollywood Reporter is a pretty reputable publication. The article you've linked to goes in-depth on their vetting process. This might be worth posting in the OP:

I can only speak for THR (though I've discussed this issue with editors at other outlets), but what I look for in evaluating claims is whether there has been an alleged abuse of power, whether there are witnesses to the alleged behavior or people who were told about it in the aftermath and will say so, and whether there is any other corroborating evidence. Our lawyers also are consulted on each story. Many accounts don't survive the vetting process. Some do, such as past articles revealing claims against Dustin Hoffman, Russell Simmons, Roy Price, Robert Knepper and others.

In Susan Braudy's case, she provided a detailed written account of her experience with Douglas based on notes and files she kept, a timeline of her employment (including pay stubs), and three people she told of her experience who were willing to back her publicly, including two well-known authors. She also has a 1993 letter from the California Women's Law Center showing she inquired about remedies for sexual harassment in the workplace (read it here), though she says she was too intimidated to follow through with a complaint.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that this story is like days old and already people are saying the woman could be lying with no proof? Would it kill ya'll to just be quiet for a little while until you know? The odds of an accusation being true are much higher, so why would you immediately jump to the guy's defense? Just chill, fam.

That quote's incredibly shitty, but it's also months old. What's it got to do with this?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I asked a woman at work what her thoughts was to some people getting falsely accused and she said 'Well, I think it is the mens turn to take a backseat for once', I liked that (although false accusation is horrible).

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible that the BBC article is just what the OP saw? I don't see how that's disingenuous. Hollywood Reporter is a pretty reputable publication. The article you've linked to goes in-depth on their vetting process. This might be worth posting in the OP:

Nah, dude just wanted to attempt a gotcha moment on the OP

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Statistically low chance of false allegations but I'm sure that tweet riled up the MRAs

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They also say in the very same article that they also found Douglas' denial worth publishing through the same vetting process.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it people (in this thread) believe this "story" right out of the gate? Now, that is sickening since there is 0 evidence at this point. Anybody can say anything at this point and you can destroy a career or gain attention.

This is exact the problem. He also spoke about this some time ago, dismissing all the allegations.
How can people believe Douglas " story" straight out the gate. Just because he dismissed them doesn't mean they aren't true

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is it that this story is like days old and already people are saying the woman could be lying with no proof? Would it kill ya'll to just be quiet for a little while until you know? The odds of an accusation being true are much higher, so why would you immediately jump to the guy's defense? Just chill, fam.

That quote's incredibly shitty, but it's also months old. What's it got to do with this?

because it throws out the idea that there are some women out there who think it's okay to take down innocent men for the greater good, which gives credence to anyone sympathizing with the accused in these cases that the accusers might not always be telling the truth, thus somewhat discrediting anyone who comes out. it's not directly related to this specific instance but it does encompass the whole #metoo #timesup etc. movements

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is from November. I'm pretty sure the movement survived it.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

LOL, if there was ever a quote for "Men's Rights Activists" to use it'll be that one. It's like that and the terrible story of Brian Banks.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I asked a woman at work what her thoughts was to some people getting falsely accused and she said 'Well, I think it is the mens turn to take a backseat for once', I liked that (although false accusation is horrible).

That's a terrible response. A smart person would say it is terrible if anyone is to be falsely accused of anything. It is that type of mentality that is going to result in a hard push back the other way. We absolutely need to weed out this type of behavior amongst men but when it begins to appear okay for false accusations to exist it will hurt the movement which will then enable men like this to continue doing what they do. I wish people would realize that when you demand fairness, you must also demonstrate the same behavior.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
They also say in the very same article that they also found Douglas' denial worth publishing through the same vetting process.

That's incorrect. They do not say that they utilize the same vetting process for Douglas's denial. Just that PART of their process is to also reach out to the accused for a denial, and they felt that both were important to publish.

At THR, Douglas' strategy [to pre-empt the allegations] didn't alter our vetting process. We determined that both Braudy's story and his denial deserved to be published. As the floodgates have opened and new accusers come forward nearly every day, some have said the #MeToo movement has gone too far and that the media is either complicit in a burgeoning witch hunt or, worse, exploiting the situation for notoriety or web traffic or whatever. While there are stories that have crossed a line, I don't think the solution is to listen to women less or dismiss their stories more. Responsible media outlets, it seems, should be listening to these stories, vetting them thoroughly and presenting those that pass muster in the proper context. That's our standard, at least.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I said earlier in the thread that I was taking a "wait and see" approach because I was looking for more accusers or other people that she told at the time. Thanks for sharing the vetting quote -- that pretty much does it for me, to the point where I would bet a decent amount of money that he did what she said he did.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
because it throws out the idea that there are some women out there who think it's okay to take down innocent men for the greater good, which gives credence to anyone sympathizing with the accused in these cases that the accusers might not always be telling the truth, thus somewhat discrediting anyone who comes out. it's not directly related to this specific instance but it does encompass the whole #metoo #timesup etc. movements

....No that's not what that statement said at all. It's callous as fuck, but it's actually her saying the odds are so low that if it does happen to one or two dudes out of millions, well...so what? It's not saying there are women who are angling to make it happen.

The problem with that statement is that it's sort of okaying the idea of just going full steam ahead on the outrage machine.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
False allegations happen though... and they ruin lives. I don't subscribe to "trust all women" or "women don't lie" or whatever the mantra was in regards to sexual impropriety because factually it isn't true. I'm not calling her a liar at this point but I'm not going to blindly believe anything that any accuser says.
Facts. Something I have been saying and telling people. People act like no one ever went to jail or worst ended up dead over false accusations. Plenty of stories of people coming out jail doing years over false accusations.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was treated for sex addiction a while back if I recall correctly, so yeah probably one of the ways he got his rocks off.

yeah, which is why it's a lot easier to believe the women in this case as opposed to someone with no history. i do err on the side of caution when trying to determine who is telling the truth and who isn't, but here it seems rather cut and dry given the low rates of fake accusations

check out this tidbit regarding his biography in relation to his "sexual demons":

According to [biographer] John Parker: "Encouraged by his counselor, Michael [reportedly] began his program of self-discovery when he stood up, head bowed, and gave a lengthy commentary about his inner demons and the problems that had turned him into something of a Jekyll and Hyde character. He confessed to the group of eight fellow sufferers: 'Sex is just a wave that sweeps over me, an impulse that is overpowering. I'm helpless. Every time.' He also admitted to a problem with alcohol and drugs… He also said his wife had 'kicked him out' of the bedroom, having been repulsed by his apparently uncontrollable actions."

also says he was caught sleeping with a women which was never confirmed nor denied.

src: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/michael-douglas-biography-excerpt_n_1891335.html

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Facts. Something I have been saying and telling people. People act like no one ever went to jail or worst ended up dead over false accusations. Plenty of stories of people coming out jail doing years over false accusations.

That's a little different. That's usually murder, and the police cover it up or fuck up. Not people throwing accusations.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Some of the stuff she said about language I think MD addressed quite well. She never said it was directed at her. As for her accusations about blacklisitng etc, he also made it quite clear he didn't. As for the masturbation, who knows. That said, I beleve his account more than I do hers.

Why though?

You are not wrong that false accusations happen but the deck is so stacked against women historically and false accusations are generally rare from everything I have heard, so I personally tend to accept what the initial woman says until proven otherwise.

Exactly. We are not a court, we are not judges, we are not held to their standards because we don't have the power to inflict the kind of punishments they can, so it's absolutely fine to stand by her in this case.

Also, maybe review your work's sexual harassment policies because sexual language doesn't need to be "directed" to be harassment.

Deleted member 7207

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is up with men masturbating in front of women?

I find it interesting that this question often gets brushed aside/ignored. Is it just a complete, temporary lapse of judgment? Do they believe their targets will be more likely to join them if they make that first move? How sex deprived can these celebrities really be?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What's with all these men masturbating in front of women?
I don't know, someone I use to know had an experience at a gas station with a guy in a van behind her started jerking it while she was pumping gas. Like... WTF?

right, that is a summary. Here is the full story

from the actual article https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...alleged-harassment-media-metoo-moment-1075609 that should be in the OP so people don't have to find links in a news post about a article.

With the full quote you can tell its not a "walked in on him in his apartment" story.

So he rubbed it out in pants? O_o Did he think not whipping it out would make it fine? Too difficult to go to the bathroom or his bedroom for a couple minutes?