• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fassbender is an asset in any ensemble, from the "X-Men" franchise to "Inglourious Basterds." Those franchises inflate his bankability in foreign territories, and he's had two Oscar nominations, but he lacks marquee value.
More at the link

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Should stop chasing the box office wave and stick to smaller projects. He's an amazing actor and not many movies he's in nowadays make much use of it.

Alien he's prolly just in tho cuz ridley Scott seems to like him a lot. And he's been the best (and only good) thing about those last two movies tbh

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Standalone movie with pre-XMen Magneto hunting Nazis. Gimme dat.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fassbender is the new Jeremy Renner. He's a good actor who signed onto shit blockbuster franchises, and now people are going to start doubting his acting ability because he couldn't single-handedly carry a bunch of bad movies.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude is really unlucky with his picks.

I think he's just not very good at looking at scripts, and seeing if they can work or not. I haven't seen him deliver a bad performance in anything, but he's still basically a lightbulb shining in a pool of mud.

Frank was really interesting, and he was damn good in it, which kind of shows how effective he is.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Snowman was let down by it's script above all else. Fassbender did what he could with it. Don't think he's in any particular trouble.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah, bad year for him.
His interview on the Kermode and Mayo show for The Snowman was funny.
Mayo, completely innocently: "So you were here last time for Assassin's Creed..."
Fassbender, under his breath: "Yeah, that classic..."

Cbrun44

Fassbender seems like he's gotten lazy. Hard to blame him though for going for the paychecks.

I just hope he begins the transition back to more Hunger / Frank. Less Alien / X-Men / Assassin's Creed. With Counselor and Song to Song where it seems like he wanted to try something different... ended up to be pretty abysmal.

Cbrun44

Fassbender is the new Jeremy Renner. He's a good actor who signed onto shit blockbuster franchises, and now people are going to start doubting his acting ability because he couldn't single-handedly carry a bunch of bad movies.

To be fair with Renner... at least he picked the correct franchise to be a part of. And Arrival to hang his hat on.
But other than that solid comparison. Lots of crap on both of their resumes and that's a shame.

Both need new representation.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
He needs a Scorsese or a Winding-Refn to mold him over the course of multiple pictures. He just hasn't found the director that can elevate him.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Its interesting, because I know he is a damn fine actor, but man his manager is leading him down a bad path.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Hes a talented actor but he needs a solid starring role in a solid non-indie film, something directed by a big name director

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
He was great in First Class, good in DoFP, and slept walked through Apocalypse. So maybe stop doing those...
And I'll say it, I enjoyed the hell out of Assassin's Creed. Wasn't obviously Oscar caliber anything, but I was entertained the whole time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He's probably destined for a Eric Bana or Clive Owen tier career, which isn't the worst thing in the world. Not everybody can be Leo or DDL.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he gets a good show on HBO or Netflix or something. Love the guy but most of his movies are shit.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Why does he need to recover? He's a great actor. Just put him in a better movie. He still is in the prime of his career.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does he need to recover? He's a great actor. Just put him in a better movie. He still is in the prime of his career.

Because if you're going to continue to get cast as Lead actor in Hollywood films, your films have to make money. Quality of film ≠ Commercial success. You're only going to get but so many chances.

Perhaps Aaron Sorkin was right in his Sony leaked email when he responded to Fassbender potentially being cast in his script for Steve Jobs, "'I don't know who Michael Fassbender is and the rest of the world isn't going to care,'

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Also worth mentioning, on paper The Snowman was a great choice. The director had already made a couple of movies which received critical acclaim, and the source material was well regarded. The blockbusters he does likely just pay the bills and provide him exposure, irrespective of reviews.

Yeah. Despite the trailers I was holding out hope for The Snowman from the talent. Director's previous two were Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Let the Right One In. Can't fault him for signing onto the project.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
No way Snowman is his fault, its on the studio. Just mind blowing Hollywood allowed this film to be made knowing full well there were a good amount of scenes that could not be filmed crippling it from the start. It should have been canceled or shelved until it could properly be filmed.

On topic actors go on bad streaks occasionally I don't see why Fassbender has to be some note, he can bounce back.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
He'll be fine. If you look at his filmography. He was in a lot of bad movies even before recently. Still gets roles.

Even if he doesn't he already won in life with Alicia Vikander. Maybe she can pay his bills.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Fassbender would do better movies, I have always enjoyed his acting. Gone are the days that I'd automatically look forward to whatever he was doing next, now it's more of a tentative wait and see.

Oct 27, 2017
Legitimately curious about The Snowman, as someone who has never heard or read the book would I at least find it mildly entertaining?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He'll be fine. If you look at his filmography. He was in a lot of bad movies even before recently. Still gets roles.

Even if he doesn't he already won in life with Alicia Vikander. Maybe she can pay his bills.

I don't think it's a question of him still getting roles, he'll definitely get roles due to him being a great actor.

The question is his viability to continue to get cast as a Lead Actor to get a movie project grennlit and/or carry a movie to financial success.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's actually crazy how many movies he has been doing. I think he would benefit from just taking a break / slowing it down and reviewing scripts more thoroughly.