• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017

10 years, man. I actually got into his music after his death; I never gave him a chance prior to that, partly because he was the butt of so many jokes in my circles and his antics and accusations scared me away from his music.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He was very good yet with an unfortunately tarnished legacy (and a tragic upbringing).

.... Makes me think: Janet is totally underrated.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i have a feeling this thread wont last long
giphy.gif

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My view of this man has been a roller coaster. With the recent Leaving Neverland documentary, it finally set in that I do not have a favorable opinion of him. I remember a feeling of intense sadness the day he passed. Now 10 years later I... don't share the same feelings.

I'll always listen to his music with a disdain for the man behind it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this like it was yesterday. It's one of those events where I can tell you exactly what I was doing when the story broke. His death kicked off ten long terrible years of tragic musician deaths.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah... not someone who's memory I want to honour.

He made amazing music, but he was a manipulative person.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
.... Makes me think: Janet is totally underrated.

Hugely underrated. And we have Les Moonves to thank for that, I believe.

That piece of trash did everything in his power to ruin her after the Super Bowl incident. I have no doubt that Janet would have had a number of huge hits throughout the 2000s if not for that.

That being said, I'm excited for her new album. "Made for Now" was maybe my favorite song in 2018.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty person. I don't really like his music either, except maybe a song or two, but I won't listen to them anymore

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really wax rhapsodic about the guy anymore after that doc.

It was the rancid rat corpse in the punch bowl. It flavored everything.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Liked his music until I learned he was a child rapist. Not going to honor his memory; he doesn't deserve it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being floored by the news since he was going to start his last tour, and also the last time I ever watched MTV since they were airing all of his videos.

That being said, the controversy surrounding his issues with little boys always bothered me enough to the point that I was way more sad and upset when Prince died than MJ. Can't believe it's already been 10 years. I do feel for his kids since they were being hounded by members of the media about something they had nothing to do with.

Oct 30, 2017
I worked retail when it happened and they played his music for weeks afterwards which hit home just how amazing they were as it was a while since I heard them. Michael Jackson's music was always going to out last him with such legendary quality.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautious to see how much this will spiral out of control.

I do believe the accusations. It ruined his music.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I remember when he died the rock station that normally played Ratt and Van Halen and Motley Crue and other stuff that was basically as far away from Jackson's music in the 80s as possible started playing some of his songs for a few days. That's what really settled in just how impactful his death was at the time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wild. I remember right where I was when I heard it. I was in Virginia around DC Metro for a work conference, driving home from the conference... Hot, like ~5:30pm or so, stuck in slow moving traffic in like ... a Chevy malibu or something, and it came across on the XM radio. I didn't really believe it at first, Jackson was a person who had tons of "Michael JAckson Dies!" rumors surrounding him, just one of those public people who everybody had theories about. I might have actually first read it on Twitter or a website and didn't believe it there, and then heard the radio reports.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
He was my idol growing up. But if he really did what he is being accused of then fuck him, his music, and his legacy. May it be lost to time.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I remember when he died the rock station that normally played Ratt and Van Halen and Motley Crue and other stuff that was basically as far away from Jackson's music in the 80s as possible started playing some of his songs for a few days. That's what really settled in just how impactful his death was at the time.

I remember watching the coverage with my mom, and she kept saying how she had never seen anything like Thriller when that video released. She was close to her 30s at the time and could still dance up a storm.

I dance as a hobby and love dancing MJ songs.

Side note: wtf is up with Costanza in your profile pic?

inb4bans, [read Staff posts], red text, and lock

I love his work but I can't really blame anyone for bringing it up. It's impossible to have a thread about MJ without talking about his personal life.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
This thread will go well...

It will be interesting because it will set a precedent going forward. Generally if a person dies, the thread about it is not allowed to have negative posts about the person (see: any politician death) because it is a "memorial." Will this thread be considered such and at that point where will the line be drawn?

Oct 27, 2017
He was a huge huge huge factor in my childhood, like every other 5-10 year old from '85-'95. I also believe Safechuck, Robson and others.

I think he made amazing music but I can't willingly listen to it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.