• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Veteran video game analyst and all-round future predictor Michael Pachter appeared on the latest episode of the RDX podcast, and when questioned about whether Sony could compete with Game Pass in the long run, he offered a stark and sobering presentiment for the future of the PlayStation brand. Brace yourself PS fans; the horizon is a bleak looking one.

Michael Pachter said:
I think PlaySation is doomed and I think they're going to cease to exist as we know them in about ten years. They can't compete. They have no chance of competing. They're not a couple of years behind, it's an insurmountable lead.

Mod edit: Content removed. We don't provide a platform for Dealer Gaming or their content here.

What do you folks think? Another slam dunk for Pachter the Future or a momentary lapse in judgement? Is Microsoft hitting out of the park so hard right now with Game Pass that Sony can't ever hope to catch up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Michael Pachter goes on known racist/homophobes podcasts now?

Edit - Some context:
www.resetera.com

Mike Ybarra becomes member of toxic and Homophobic youtuber's Channel (update: Ybarra responds, see threadmark, "wasn't aware")

I came across this on my twitter feed and at first, didn't think it was real. But throughout this generation several members of the XBOX Exec team have frequented and conversed with youtubers such as this and have longstanding relationships with this podcast in particular. And, well, I just...

Last edited:

Rock Howard

Oct 28, 2017
The same was said before Sony even entered the game with PlayStation 1. Nobody has such a strong base of dedicated development teams, and this is still key to succeed in this business.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Will watch in a moment, but I'm surprised he isn't talking about Nintendo anymore, during the Wii / 3DS era it was all about Nintendo absolutely needing a Wii HD and other stuff.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
That's why I never listened to a word this guy has ever said and trust me it has worked in my favour.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Has Pachter ever been right in one of these bold predictions? I know he just does it for attention, but damn. You'd have better luck with a dart board of predictions

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Well, he's saying (in that quote) it won't exist as we know them. Which is not really controversial. Sony 10 years ago compared to today has already changed rather drastically. I imagine they'll continue to undergo more change as they adapt to an evolving landscape.

Oct 25, 2017
So the brand will outlast humanity, possibly being the last profitable entity before our inevitable extinction? Got it.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How-to-Make-Him-Laugh.gif

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
So, in ten years PlayStation will be stronger than ever? Thanks for confirming Pachter. 👍

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I could see maybe an argument long term. Like very very long term. But 10 years? So halfway through the PS6's life they are just going to close up shop? I feel even if tomorrow momentum shifted to xbox, it would take a long long time for it to get to the point where the playstation business is longer profitable and they close up shop. Playstation is just too strong in places like Europe, it would take longer then ten years for microsoft to gain any sort of massive momentum to hurt them.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it a running theme for a long time that this guy's predictions are no better than the average forum shit poster? Especially the wild stuff like this, like always wrong. I'd totally forgot about him, when did he suddenly reemerge?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Anyone has an updated track record?
I believe there isn't a single prediction of his that materialised.
It's remarkable in a way.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll take this to mean Sony has a PSP3 planned in the future and are going all in on it. Very exciting. I'll be there day 1.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
>cease to exist as we know them

Welcome to... one month ago?

Sony's been changing up their image as a company on a bi-monthly basis, with their endeavors into mobile, live-service, transmedia and even strategic multiplatform.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now there is a name I've not heard in a long time

Wonder what he said about Nintendo in the Wii U days

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The opposite of what this guy has said before came true. So, congrats to Sony for their upcoming domination.

Status
Not open for further replies.