Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco

WoW ! This little guy has many things to teach to Sam Fisher !
Today is very special for me. After more than 30 years, I've decided to stop working on video games and fully focus on my second passion : Wild Life !
My new project takes place in the real world and consists in a wild life open sanctuary dedicated to education , nature lovers and ... wild animals.
🎮🎮🎮 video games part 🎮🎮🎮
Many of you might want to know what will happen to Wild and BGE2. No worries, since many months now the teams are autonomous and the projects are going super well. Beautiful things to be seen soon.
May the fox be with you

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
He thinks Wild will be finished, I think without Ancel it will be canned considering it already disappeared for so long.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Cool and TBH much more worthwhile :-) Ah to have the freedom to be able to do whatever the fuck you want to do whenever you want to do it. This should be the goal of every life :-)

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Well deserved. Wish him all the best.

It's also good to hear, that WiLD is still being worked on.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking the same thing. Will Ubisoft be bothered about it anymore? Hell I imagine BG&E2 is under the microscope now.
It is not a Ubisoft game, it is a Sony-published game from a completely new developer. That it is Sony published is my only hope it won't get canned, if it was Ubisoft I would be 100% sure it is dead.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gutted. There's no way BG&E is gonna be finished now. Even if it is it won't be the same.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Wow, that's shocking!

I wish him all the best of luck in his future endeavors and also want to congratulate him on a great career. I will also remember the moment when he got to re-announce Beyond Good and Evil and cried on stage. It was a special moment and not many showcases have been able to reach that level of passion and emotion.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He's almost 50 and has been making games for all of his adult life. Totally makes sense that he'd want a change of pace.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
He made some great games and is responsible for a lot of Ubisoft's identity to me (I guess I still envision Ubisoft's highs in the GameCube/ps2/Xbox era). I don't really believe either of the games he mentioned are safe since they are as fringe as fringe can be at this point.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Best of luck to you.

But damn.. I was hoping he was working on a new Rayman.. Guess that's it for Rayman. :(

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I don't know what motivated him to change but within 30 years he did see how the industry changed : Game as a service, increased scrutiny on game and very very high expectations of players, the development cycle of AAA games which is now sometimes > 100M $, market research, corporatization,...

I think creativity is the first victim of modern game development philosophy.

Bon courage Michel :)

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Rayman 2 is and always will be the only 3D platformer not called Mario that deserves all the praise it can get. Same thing goes with both Origins and Legends, super charming titles

Wish him all the best in the world, really. For me personally, this man is a genius when it comes to videogames

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
OP you could've worded that a little better. The title sounds like he did something to justify him being removed from the industry, not that he's voluntarily choosing to just leave it.

Edit: That's better.

OP
OP
Arubedo

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
OP you could've worded that a little better. The title sounds like he did something to justify him being removed from the industry, not that he's voluntarily choosing to just leave it.

Edit: That's better.
Yeah, sorry about that, but i asked for the thread title to be updated (which has been done)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Good title change

21U8.gif

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What? He has an incredibly statut in video games and the industry will miss him. I wish him good luck in his futures endeavors.
On BG&E2 and Wild, we will see how it's going to end, there's always a risk to see these projects to be canned. But I believe there's no shortage of talents in these teams so hopefully they're on a good track.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I wish him the best; he's made some great games over the years.

But uh.. hey Ubisoft, Rayman 4 is still in the pipeworks right? It'd be nice if you could stop pretending that it isn't in development and show it soon.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Wish him all the best with working in wildlife, it's going to be hugely important over the coming years.

I have no interest in BGE2 but Wild is on my radar should it return.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RIP chances of UbiArt Rayman 3 and Rayman 4

Godspeed to him, tho

luminosity

"This guy are sick"
Oct 30, 2017
His tweet reads like a hastily thrown together email sent at 4:58 p.m. on a Friday. XD

But that's fine. Best of luck.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Those games are going to get canned
Ubisoft is going to pour the sunken cost fallacy on Beyond Good and Evil 2, put him one of the directors of say... Assassin's Creed or Far Cry to convert whatever they have into a live service to release in the middle of the next three years at the longest. No way they're canning BG&E2 just because Ancel is gone.