• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The awarding of the 2022 World Cup was a joke at the time and still is. A complete farce.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
arrest them all. if you look at the overall strength of the usa bid, it's laughable that qatar won. and everyone at the time knew it was corruption. fucking idiots over there

Deleted member 59

not really unless you hold most of the games in London.

There is only about 4 stadiums good enough outside the capital

From what i understand, England is one of those "can hold a tournament at short notice" countries, and if Qatar is stripped of it, the infrastructure is already in place to hold it.

You've got Old Trafford, Etihad, Anfield, St James park, Stadium of Light and Villa Park outside of the capital which are all capable of hosting WC games already. There are several which could hold WC matches with slight expansion too (Goodison, Elland Road)

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

giphy.gif

seriously though, 12 stadiums were used in Russia so:

Wembley - London
Emirates - London
Spurs' new stadium - London
Olympic - London

Old Trafford - Manchester
Etihad - Manchester

Anfield - Liverpool
St James' Park - Newcastle

Celtic Park - Glasgow
Ibrox - Glasgow
Murrayfield - Edinburgh

Millennium Stadium - Cardiff

tourists even get to stay tf away from the midlands too!!

I'm definitely oversimplifying things but...All have a capacity over 50k... There's probably a few more rugby stadiums that could cope too... A few of the Russian stadiums had a capacity of 30k so I think it should be enough?

Deleted member 59

giphy.gif

Wembley - London
Emirates - London
Olympic - London

Etihad - Manchester

Anfield - Liverpool

Celtic Park - Glasgow
Ibrox - Glasgow
Murrayfield - Edinburgh

I'm definitely oversimplifying things but...All have a capacity over 50k... There's probably a few more rugby stadiums that could cope too... A few of the Russian stadiums had a capacity of 30k so I think it should be enough?

If it's English FA awarded it, then all the stadiums will be in England, not spread across the UK.

Villa Park is a great stadium, and deserves to be a WC venue.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Wembley - London
Emirates - London
Olympic - London

Etihad - Manchester

Anfield - Liverpool

Celtic Park - Glasgow
Ibrox - Glasgow
Murrayfield - Edinburgh

Villa Park would definitely be used one of the best grounds in the country

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
If it's English FA awarded it, then all the stadiums will be in England, not spread across the UK.

Villa Park is a great stadium, and deserves to be a WC venue.

Well that sucks. If it's a short notice thing we could do some sort of South Korea/Japan 2002 deal. English FA are probably greedy bastards so they'll hog it

Stamford Bridge, Villa Park, Stadium of Light could sub in

Oct 27, 2017

London - Wembley
London - Emirates
London - Spurs

South/South East - Brighton

South West - Ashton Gate

Midlands - Villa Park
Midlands - Leicester

North West - Anfield
North West - Old Trafford
North West - Etihad

North East - St James' Park

Yorkshire - Elland Road

That's the best spread and a good mix of capacity. Maybe swap Leicester for one of the Sheffield grounds or Forest if the money and time was there to renovate.

There are several which could hold WC matches with slight expansion too (Goodison, Elland Road)

Elland Road needs far more than expansion. Outside of the main two tiered stand Elland Road is an absolute dump. It's in the same group as Forest's City Ground, Hillsborough or Bramall Lane - as being located in major cities and accessible to most of the country, but are old stadiums and in need of significant renovation to be brought up to WC standard. Goodison is the same but also wouldn't be used with so many others in the North West.

However Yorkshire would get representation which makes sense logistically, and if they needed to renovate Elland Road then it would be the easiest and most logical of the big Yorkshire grounds to do so.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Let me get this straight, people can go to jail over this but they still are going ahead having the tournament there when it's still more than 3 years away and many contries could easily host it next year? Mmmm

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love how Sarkozy somehow ends up being involved in this.

His presidency was really a dark time for us.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
A significant amount of people have already died trying to organize this event https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...world-cup-deaths-workers-report-a8943096.html Hard to overlook it when by all accounts the figure's already in 4 digits, and there's still 3 years of work to be done before the actual event

It should be cancelled now.

In fact, just skip the world cup in 2022 if they can't find another place to play it. Better than hundreds of more deaths.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's shit that the WC is held in Quatar but why shouldn't FIFA be able to simply decide who hosts the WC or sell this opportunity to the highest bidder, given that some demands (save travel/ accomodation etc.) are met. It's football not geopolitics...

Or is there a law that mandates it be decided by luck of draw?

I guess I lack crucial information regarding the process.

Regardless, Quatar should be skipped simply based on the amount of people dying to build this shit up. Corruption or not.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
It's shit that the WC is held in Quatar but why shouldn't FIFA be able to simply decide who hosts the WC or sell this opportunity to the highest bidder, given that some demands (save travel/ accomodation etc.) are met. It's football not geopolitics...

Regardless, Quatar should be skipped simply based on the amount of people dying to build this shit up. Corruption or not.

Yeah there's something I'm missing here. At the end of the day its just soccer. If the bribe contained something illegal then maybe it makes more sense.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there's something I'm missing here. At the end of the day its just soccer. If the bribe contained something illegal then maybe it makes more sense.
I mean Germany just auctioned off the rights to build the 5G network to the highest bidder (6 billion €) surly the same could be made for hosting the WC.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Fuck no, Europe literally just had it. If they do that it should go to another continent. Let's not forget the head FIFA guys were European to begin with.

The problem is that outside of Europe it would likely be difficult to put together with short notice. I don't know China's stadium situation but that might be the only plausible other option.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no, Europe literally just had it. If they do that it should go to another continent. Let's not forget the head FIFA guys were European to begin with.

It would depend on which country / region has the infrastructure to hold it on such short notice. Beyond Europe, North America would probably the best choice but since it already has 2026, I doubt it would want to swap.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys many, many people have died building stadia in Qatar because it was not fit for purpose. It should never, ever have won and that's how bribery and corruption was obvious straight away. It's not ever really been down to 'luck of the draw' it's been always on the merit of the hosts both in infrastructure and spectacle. The only thing Qatar offered apart from the bribery was the location being new for the tournament but that in itself should not have won over Australia as people have already said who were in q similarly unique position and who obviously wouldn't have driven people to death building stadia in atrocious conditions.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Germany just auctioned off the rights to build the 5G network to the highest bidder (6 billion €) surly the same could be made for hosting the WC.
Because poor countries aren't already poor and FIFA isn't already rich enough.
You still think this is a good idea if the next 5 World Cup's go to the next 5 Oil dictatorships?
I think Capitalism has already done more than enough damage to the sport.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe out of all the reasons why this WC is bad some people choose this.
There is a world outside Europe.
Having to completely change a whole season of Football to play a WC in the desert is ridiculous.

If they had given it to Australia then we would none of these problems

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Australia should have won it , everyone knew when it was awarded it was based on corruption , but everyone just accepted fifa is corrupt so don't even bother fighting it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And yet nothing will happen to Qatar, I wager. Unfortunately.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

That's what the bidding process is for. Thing is, as a location for the actual event Qatar was the worst of the bidders. From climate to infrastructure. Yet they won the bid.

The problem with Qatar was that the highest bid was paid to people like Platini instead of the Institution. Also, the worldcup is a multibillion revenue event. It's been a long time since it was "only" a football tournament. The Fifa has to follow the same rules for such things as everyone else.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
12 stadiums required?

Wembley
Spurs
Emirates
London Stadium
Stamford Bridge
Stadium of Light
St James' Park
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
Villa Park
Stadium MK

All with a minimum capacity of 30k, all good to go at the drop of a hat. 5 London centric ones, sure, but maybe switch out Stamford Bridge for The City Ground if you want to spread the venues about a bit more.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
They should recticfy the situation and give it to the country the bribers stole it from.

North America has 2026 while Europe had 2018. So US getting it in 2022 is really no worse than some European country.

Or they should keep it in Asian but I'm not sure if any country have the infastruture to quickly turn around a world cup. China? They seem to have some large stadiums https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_China

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Qatar's bid has never made any sense to host FIFA WC 2022.
Weather is insane during summer which meant a shift to a winter world cup which is insane enough disrupting all major leagues.
They have near zero stadiums and are using slaves to build up infrastructure.
No football history

Money talks and I'm sure FIFA cronies and Platini were bought off for a nice sum.
Taxi to prison for Michel pls next.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be a problem if they auctioned the World Cup hosting to the highest bidder.

But what actually happens is they present it as a competitive process to select the country/countries with the best infrastructure and legacy for the tournament (new stadiums, transport links, local investment, development of young talent, etc), make them spend a lot of money on the bids, get free trips to visit the proposed locations, and then just ignore all that and give it to whoever slips the voters the most money behind the scenes.

It's the charade that makes it illegal. Effectively they are auctioning it off while pretending not to.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Fifa are corrupt news at 11

But in all honesty this is fucking stupid, a world cup whilst we're getting ready for Christmas not to mention that all the football Leagues across Europe have to be completely altered due to the WC taking place in Winter. Just call it off Bribery, potential slavery and not to mention the crazy heat that Europeans would not be use to and they have to be able to play 90+ minutes of the highest professional football possible.

I know our English lads will not do well in this WC