• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be a problem if they auctioned the World Cup hosting to the highest bidder.

But what actually happens is they present it as a competitive process to select the country/countries with the best infrastructure and legacy for the tournament (new stadiums, transport links, local investment, development of young talent, etc), make them spend a lot of money on the bids, get free trips to visit the proposed locations, and then just ignore all that and give it to whoever slips the voters the most money behind the scenes.

It's the charade that makes it illegal. Effectively they are auctioning it off while pretending not to.

I always thought this charade was a pr move to make it seem like a legit competition for the public but actually, contractually, be a plain old bid/auction with the countries involved.

Like when they draw the winner and act surprised etc.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is there anything that prevent sensible people to group up and create another global football organization? Do national/regional football associations need to pledge allegiance to FIFA or else?
Well FIFA is big and corrupt, so you dont pledge allegiance to them and they are gonna use their leverage to fuck you up.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
HOW DARE YOU! Mods ban this filth

whenever i venture north of hertfordshire
1b3rky.jpg

Just give 2022 to the US you fucks.

outta here, you got 2026

and i'm already saving up for it

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Give it to Chile-Argentina instead, both countries can easily hold the World Cup.
Plenty of countries can, but FIFA creates it's own set of rules to say that they dont meet the minimum requirements... They are not going to lose the opportunity to make countries build or renew huge stadiums, there are another few billion dollars flowing which translates in at least some hundreds of millions of bribes in the table in the construction costs alone... It's all about the money

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
They won't give it to EU. It was in Russia just last year. America was in 2014 so that would be last choice.
Imo give it to Australia + New Zealand, tho the weather could be unbearable. How about Japan? They'll have leftover stuff from the Olympics 🙂

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'd say give to Asia, but honestly it doesn't matter. There's less than 3 years to prepare for it. Not impossible but a though ask for any country/group of countries.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to have his Figurine Panini card. Now he's a crook. What a world.

FIFA was like a kind of divining rod for Trump. Amazing the two aren't connected somehow.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing America can lord over the rest of the world. For most us, we don't give a fuck about FIFA. For once its global corruption we are not part of.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Probably all wishful thinking that FIFA would move it, but for curiosity sake, the US and UK sounds like they could easily hold it on short notice. I'm assuming Germany and France could as well. What about Italy and Spain? Do any South American countries outside of Brazil have the infastructure in place?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England could hold a World Cup tomorrow, and will be even better placed to do it by 2022 (Molineux will probably have been redeveloped by then, for instance).

The idea that Qatar still get to host it with scores of people dying and the leading figures are arrested is absolutely criminal.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, start singing you shit. Name names so that at least SOMEONE faces justice for the thousands of slaves you're all responsible for murdering. The Qatari elite wont but at least UEFA and FIFA elite might, and that's not nothing.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why the USMNT didn't go to the last World Cup... to ummm protest! To protest this injustice of being robbed of our successful bid!

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It's shit that the WC is held in Quatar but why shouldn't FIFA be able to simply decide who hosts the WC or sell this opportunity to the highest bidder, given that some demands (save travel/ accomodation etc.) are met. It's football not geopolitics...

Or is there a law that mandates it be decided by luck of draw?

I guess I lack crucial information regarding the process.

Regardless, Quatar should be skipped simply based on the amount of people dying to build this shit up. Corruption or not.

FIFA only exists because of its members. If it could be trusted to act in its members best interest, then yes. Unfortunately this has never been the case. And these monetary gains don't flow down, they are bribes for specific individuals.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
They should recticfy the situation and give it to the country the bribers stole it from.

North America has 2026 while Europe had 2018. So US getting it in 2022 is really no worse than some European country.

Or they should keep it in Asian but I'm not sure if any country have the infastruture to quickly turn around a world cup. China? They seem to have some large stadiums https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_China

Distance would be an issue I would guess. It was somewhat of a problem in the US as well.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
This guy stank up every org he was part of.
Hopefully they throw away the key and we never hear about this corrupt ass ever again.
Probably all wishful thinking that FIFA would move it, but for curiosity sake, the US and UK sounds like they could easily hold it on short notice. I'm assuming Germany and France could as well. What about Italy and Spain? Do any South American countries outside of Brazil have the infastructure in place?
France recently held Euro not so long ago and already hosted in 98.
We're fully ready for another whenever that may be.
But if we're being fair, the US could host EVERY SINGLE YEAR for the next decade and not break a sweat.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We, and a lot of other countries, spent millions on legitimate bids that amounted to nothing because those scumbags were just taking money on the sly.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Did the cops confiscate the Picasso painting that Putin gave him?

I used to have his Figurine Panini card. Now he's a crook. What a world.

FIFA was like a kind of divining rod for Trump. Amazing the two aren't connected somehow.

Well Putin was behind both of them. He was heavily involved in the large scale bribery campaign for the 2018 World Cup, which included making deals with Qatar to vote for their bid for 2022.

And Christopher Steele, of dossier fame, had previously been employed by the FA to investigate FIFA ahead of the awarding of those two World Cups. It should not surprise you that he found out Russia bribed their way to the top.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
They won't give it to EU. It was in Russia just last year. America was in 2014 so that would be last choice.
Imo give it to Australia + New Zealand, tho the weather could be unbearable. How about Japan? They'll have leftover stuff from the Olympics 🙂
2014 World Cup was held in Brazil. Unless you mean South America?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Are you telling me Qatar isn't an objectively great place to play a bunch of international soccer tournaments in the summer? This is news to me.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Countries need to walk away and boycott FIFA/UEFA. Create their own corrupt thing :p

I feel like they'll just go through the motions with this investigation and carry on just like Russia and whoops, those laptops disappeared.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Haha and I was silly to think things would change after Sepp Blatter was arrested.

Cut one head off, two more take its place.

Oct 27, 2017
His punishment (and all of the people who chose it) should be one year of labour constructing a stadium in Qatar alongside the slaves.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Good. I hope there's some accountability. Qatar is bad for the players, bad for the leagues, bad for the fans, and bad for the migrant workers dying in their hundreds to build stadiums which will be left to rot after the event.