• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the OP misrepresent anything?

george-w-bush-meme-moments-4.jpg

Class solidarity in action.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
1) Feel free to make a thread about any of the other topics broached instead of thread whining about this one
2) You're working overtime to downplay this "10 second soundbite," but the fact of the matter is that this moment speaks volumes and is a striking and incendiary statement
3) Taking any steps to rehabilitate the image of a war criminal sucks
4) I don't know what you mean by "nice progressive forum we got going here," as none of the criticism here contradicts any kind of progressive values. Second, this is generally a liberal-leaning forum, not a progressive one. Third, even if Era did lean more progressive than liberal, the Obamas are about as milquetoast centrist as they come so why would you expect that to have any bearing here?

Criticizing people who try to rehabilitate war criminals is not cancel culture. It is, in fact, the only morally decent thing to do because we shouldn't be trying to soften the images of people who did heinous awful things.

Ding ding ding to everything in this post

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1) Feel free to make a thread about any of the other topics broached instead of thread whining about this one
2) You're working overtime to downplay this "10 second soundbite," but the fact of the matter is that this moment speaks volumes and is a striking and incendiary statement
3) Taking any steps to rehabilitate the image of a war criminal sucks
4) I don't know what you mean by "nice progressive forum we got going here," as none of the criticism here contradicts any kind of progressive values. Second, this is generally a liberal-leaning forum, not a progressive one. Third, even if Era did lean more progressive than liberal, the Obamas are about as milquetoast centrist as they come so why would you expect that to have any bearing here?

Criticizing people who try to rehabilitate war criminals is not cancel culture. It is, in fact, the only morally decent thing to do because we shouldn't be trying to soften the images of people who did heinous awful things.
This post is perfect.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
False equivalencies and comparing Barack and Michelle to people like Bush and Trump is hilariously uniformed and shows a startling lack of knowledge about US foreign policy and the way it's been dictated over the past half century.

As for what you referenced, I mean, MLK spoke about white moderates eloquently enough. We've seen time and time again on this forum that self avowed progressives reveal their true selves in topics when the narrative about issues revolving around certain issues doesn't suit their interests.

im black and trying to evoke MLK and blackness as a whole to cover up for obama's fuckups is disgusting.

michelle kissing bush's ass is not a good look at all no matter how you try to paint it

Oct 28, 2017
How many world leaders have met with the Xi Jinping and made trade deals. I don't see shit being flung there way

You know the man literally running death camps in 2019. Seems like you only care when Obama is involved.

Michelle done more good for this world than you can probably comprehend

That's a senseless comparison.

Negotiating with officials you might personally detest or who are responsible for all kinds of fucked up policies is a part of politics.
Hanging out with them and heaping praise on them when you're not in an official position anymore is completely different.

And I can't recall anyone saying how they share the same values with Xi Jinping or how he's all about 'love and compassion'.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
W is lucky that America doesn't give a shit about non-Americans because that man should be in jail for a long long time. Michelle continually going to bat for him is really disappointing.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think a lot of people here know what a war criminal is.

Bush: inventing reasons to go to war leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people=war criminal
Obama: Killing civilians while targeting military targets=not a war criminal.

If Obama had ordered bombings of civilians only, then yes he would be a war criminal. As far as I know that isn't the case though. I think Obama did the best the we could to not make it worse. As far as I'm concerned every death in Iraq and Afghanistan is on Bush. He's the one who got us into all this.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think a lot of people here know what a war criminal is.

Bush: inventing reasons to go to war leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people=war criminal
Obama: Killing civilians while targeting military targets=not a war criminal.

If Obama had ordered bombings of civilians only, then yes he would be a war criminal. As far as I know that isn't the case though. I think Obama did the best the we could to not make it worse. As far as I'm concerned every death in Iraq and Afghanistan is on Bush. He's the one who got us into all this.
Obama ordered drone strikes outside of those two countries though lol

I mean I'm not really interested in playing the who's the war criminal game, the fact of the matter is both did some heinous shit but Bush was far far worse

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like teh establishment is rearing their ugly head publicly and brazenly. Why they don't care is probably because of the same reason Buttigieg is rising in the polls and Biden is still maintaining a lead 😞😞😞

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Obama ordered a drone strike which killed an American teenager in a country the US wasn't at war with and nobody batted a fucking eyelid?

Photograph_of_Abdulrahman_Al-Awlaki.png

Oh right he was brown with a funny sounding name so nobody gave a shit. Then the white House press Secretary got up and said "well maybe if his dad was nicer the kid wouldn't have had a predator missile dropped on his head"

Of course they share the same values as war criminals as Dubya.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Could start by not changing policy to one of "If they died in a drone strike then they're a terrorist" in order to lie about civilian deaths like an absolute fucking monster.
As awful as that is, you are deflecting from what you would have suggested Obama had done differently. By "done" I mean actions he took, not policy changes that discharged himself from guilt for the actions he took.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rather have that then massive destablizsation in the middle east with wars, refugee crisis, rise of ISIS and so on.

If we're speaking purely one or the other thats gonna be a hard sell to the domestic crowd.

Granted, from my vantage point the latter helped make the former but nuance is not Peoples' strong suit.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All it takes for evil people to win is for good people to share the same values.

Maybe that should be the updated quote. The rich have the tightest class solidarity of all. Her words about everyone getting along and policy making no real difference infuriate the fuck out of me. It must be nice to not have to worry about any of this because your privilege makes you above it. Nothing the Republicans do could hurt her now; in fact, their policies would help her.

Give me more people like AOC in politics.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is incredibly hard for the American psyche, or at least liberal voters, to reflect deeply and critically about Barack Obama and also Michelle. They are treasured for a reason, and especially in a time of overt white supremacy.

But what Obama(s) and Bush(s) share in value is that they are imperialists. This means that you can sit down with Jenna Bush, or with any white elite, and fondly reminiscence how war crimes and the annihilation of brown civilians is just "policy" - and how many you annihilate and by what technology is just a "difference in policy". How there was a time in "history" where you could just sit down in a civil manner with people who you share a class consciousness with and agree that killing people in the name of Empire is good for America by averting the discussion from how inequality is the source of your wealth and privilege, you just disagree how overtly racist the justification should be and how many have to die. You as part of the elite can identify with the compartmentalization of "values" from "policy", from being complicit in killing thousand of civilians and going home and embracing your family, of not being a monster, of not having fangs, you can recognize and forgive because you both *truly* believe that you part-take in savage killings is saving the Empire abroad. You can see the father behind the imperialist, the loving husband behind the colonizer. You look at Jenna, deep into her eyes, and you know that being here, with these Vietnamese girls, and Julia Roberts, saving these girls, giving them the voice they deserve, your voice, makes it clear to you, it was worth it, they had to die so these other brown people could live. You are an elite class of pragmatists, after all.

The context of that video is actually really important, as someone pointed out previously in this thread in order to recast the comment as "out of context" - I think it shows the comments exactly in the right in context. The context is: the political elites, the justifications for Empire, American exceptionalism, and how making sense of savage policies of conquest and killing is merely a tonal shift in policy - the chords changing from the major lift to the minor fall in imperial conquest. 'Policy' here meaning what justifications are offered for the pragmatics of killing brown civilian populations without remorse. The justifications and modes are different, but they justify the same thing: Empire at the expense of brown people's lives abroad. The context of that video also shows well how the justification is produced among liberal elites, through "humanitarianism" - the backdrop for the interview is Americans saving the Vietnamese girls (from the legacy of previous American Empire Dreams and interventions) - and how that is different from the justifications of what Bush (re)presents. They share the values of recasting war crimes as humanitarianism and savior, but the justification, the discourse used to create pro-imperial consensus, is vastly different because the constituents. One uses explicitly racist arguments for domination, the other merely implicitly as it justifies empire as a humane venture delivering progress, the inferiority of the Other is still there, but hidden just behind the facade. So yes, the values are the same - the recasting of killing of brown people as benign - but the policy and discourse are vastly different.

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is incredibly hard for the American psyche, or at least liberal voters, to reflect deeply and critically about Barack Obama and also Michelle. They are treasured for a reason, and especially in a time of overt white supremacy.

But what Obama(s) and Bush(s) share in value is that they are imperialists. This means that you can sit down with Jenna Bush, or with any white elite, and fondly reminiscence how war crimes and the annihilation of brown civilians is just "policy" - and how many you annihilate and by what technology is just a "difference in policy". You as part of the elite can identify with the compartmentalization of "values" from "policy", from being complicit in killing thousand of civilians and going home and embracing your family, of not being a monster, of not having fangs, you can recognize and forgive because you both *truly* believe that you part-take in savage killings is saving the Empire abroad. You can see the father behind the imperialist, the loving husband behind the colonizer. You are a pragmatist, after all.

The context of that video is actually really important, as someone pointed out previously in this thread in order to recast the comment as "out of context" - I think it shows the comments exactly in the right in context. The context is: the political elites, the justifications for Empire, American exceptionalism, and how making sense of savage policies of conquest and killing is merely a tonal shift in policy - the chords changing from the major lift to the minor fall in imperial conquest. 'Policy' here meaning what justifications are offered for the pragmatics of killing brown civilian populations without remorse. The justifications and modes are different, but they justify the same thing: Empire at the expense of brown people's lives abroad. The context of that video also shows well how the justification is produced among liberal elites, through "humanitarianism" - the backdrop for the interview is Americans saving the Vietnamese girls (from the legacy of previous American Empire Dreams) - and how that is different from the justifications of what Bush (re)presents. They share the values of recasting war crimes as humanitarianism and savior, but the justification, the discourse used to create pro-imperial consensus, is vastly different because the constituents. One uses explicitly racist arguments for domination, the other merely implicitly as justifies empire as a humane venture delivering progress, the inferiority of the Other is still there, but hidden just behind the facade. So yes, the values are the same - the recasting of killing of brown people as benign - but the policy and discourse are vastly different.
In our collective defense Americans don't have the bloodlust anymore; or at least like we did in the 2000s.

Perhaps some reflection is on the way...for some of us. Fox news won't let that happen.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, her pool of people who went through the same shit as her is extremely small. Can't really fault her for relating to someone like a past president. Being a First Lady and all.

This isn't that hard to understand.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
As a side note: I respect M. Obama for not running good president precisely because of... Certain perspectives people have of her and would have made of her given a more focused spotlight.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
As for what you referenced, I mean, MLK spoke about white moderates eloquently enough. We've seen time and time again on this forum that self avowed progressives reveal their true selves in topics when the narrative about issues revolving around certain issues doesn't suit their interests.

My friend, MLK was talking about the Obamas with that one

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, war crimes come with the territory for US presidents, I guess due to the nature of the US ans its military. Not saying we should let it slide, but it's a bit predictable. But this,

Remember when Obama ordered a drone strike which killed an American teenager in a country the US wasn't at war with and nobody batted a fucking eyelid?

Photograph_of_Abdulrahman_Al-Awlaki.png

Oh right he was brown with a funny sounding name so nobody gave a shit. Then the white House press Secretary got up and said "well maybe if his dad was nicer the kid wouldn't have had a predator missile dropped on his head"

Of course they share the same values as war criminals as Dubya.

This was a deliberate, intententional extrajudicial murder of your own citizen. I don't think he gets nearly enough criticism for this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Same ideas on humanity, huh. Michelle must also think people from the ME are sub-human. Of course they have the same values. Millionaires need to stick together or the dirty poor will come for your money! Such charitable people though. So nice. But paying a fair share of taxes? Buddy, buddy, buddy — take it easy.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure we can have some granularity or nuance in this discussion.

You can talk about drone strikes with Obama, but the degree with which he had any involvement in anything inhumane is pretty limited.

George W Bush by comparison authorized one of the worst military initiatives in American history on the basis of a complete fabrication (a total lie if you will).

Also, I would find it extremely unlikely that GWB or Obama would be similar in any consideration of social justice values.

The only similarity might be economic, but even then, I'm sure Obama would be more liberal.

I don't think Michelle really understands the gravity of her comment and hopefully she reflects on this and changes her mind.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
what a load a bullshit.

Bush is responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people. I guess he loves humanity unless they aren't American.

Fuck this.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
"Values" is an empty enough word that what she's saying isn't that crazy to me. I'm sure if most people here had a conversation with George Bush, stripped from the context of history, about the things they valued in a society, there would be a lot of overlap. The difference is in what those values specifically mean to each person, how important they each are, and what policies people think are important to carry out those values. And I think ignoring this similarity in values is a bad thing.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yeah the Obamas were nice and all but we need fresh new blood who are not in bed with the political elite.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I'm pretty sure we can have some granularity or nuance in this discussion.

You can talk about drone strikes with Obama, but the degree with which he had any involvement in anything inhumane is pretty limited.

George W Bush by comparison authorized one of the worst military initiatives in American history on the basis of a complete fabrication (a total lie if you will).

Also, I would find it extremely unlikely that GWB or Obama would be similar in any consideration of social justice values.

The only similarity might be economic, but even then, I'm sure Obama would be more liberal.

I don't think Michelle really understands the gravity of her comment and hopefully she reflects on this and changes her mind.
I think what she probably means is bush is a pleasant human being. Living in a town full of white racist people I see that said a lot when ever I tell people that so and is racist trash lol. It's always doesn't bother me, they are nice. A lot of people in America seem to judge people by how they act to them and not by what the way or do. They whole I don't care because it does not effect me.

Oct 25, 2017
That's some class solidarity.
Disgusting people. Bush, the Obamas, the Clintons, the Trumps, Kissinger etc. They'll get to live the rest of their lives acting like they've done nothing wrong.
I wish they faced real justice.

Dec 31, 2017
Sure, his values may be all fine and dandy, but look at what he did. hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives because of his fake war based on lies.

He should be held accountable, not whitewashed as a cute grandpa. Jesus christ sometimes there is no justice at all. Fuck bush.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
""I personally, and I think so many of us, miss a time where people who have different opinions get along," she said. "And I yearn for that. I want my kids to realize that we live in a world when people are think tons of different things and we treat everybody with respect and kindness."

Seems like everybody missed that quote. Holy.

Oct 25, 2017
""I personally, and I think so many of us, miss a time where people who have different opinions get along," she said. "And I yearn for that. I want my kids to realize that we live in a world when people are think tons of different things and we treat everybody with respect and kindness."

Her saying this specifically in context about Bush is really something.
They can keep that soft "we can get along" tripe away, it doesn't solve anything. Nothing about them screams "respect and kindness".
Fake af.

Threads like this remind me just how far outside the mainstream ERA is.

The mainstream were for the war in Iraq, so no, I don't value their thought process, especially the citizens of the U.S when it comes to foreign affairs.
Being "outside of the mainstream" in this regard can only be a good thing.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Threads like this remind me just how far outside the mainstream ERA is.

It reminds me how little America-Era thinks about outside their country.

This isn't about thinking, everyone can think whatever they want and be free to befriend whoever they want.

This is about white-washing a war criminal, one that hasn't faced the consequence of his actions only because he was the president of the US once.

There is a huge gap about thinking something bad and actually do it, especially something as bad as lying to make a war to bomb brown innocents.

I honestly don't give a damn about who Michelle wants to be friend. I just hate how this war criminal keeps being white washed and it's not where he deserves to be: in a jail.

Oct 25, 2017

Man I feel like a horrible person and Michelle has really opened my eyes.

Time to start being nice to Trumpers and get back to that halcyon time of national unity and togetherness.

May 26, 2018

problem with that quote is that what she describes is basically an illusion right now. She wants to go back to when truly horrible people were smiling at you while they bided their time until they found out how to beat you and take over. As is finally threatening our world now. It would be great if we all got along, maybe some day we can do better than ever. But we can't be blind. We can't carouse with dictators and mass murderers and then wonder what happened to our glorious and free society.

Our leaders have learned Nothing. Capital N.

Status
Not open for further replies.