• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Of course Bush is an ex american president, so he's ok USA!!! USA!!!

For the rest of the world, he's a war criminal.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She makes some good points here, these days people(especially Americans) can't handle each other unless their opinions align 100%.

To get a grip on this, to which percentage does your values, your compassion, love and solidarity with civilian brown people maimed, killed and tortured in the name of Empire intersect with Bush's? just the ballpark is enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I believe a large portion of ERA is just very hurt and miserable.
A lot of ERA ain't just shit. I think it's time for me to start adding to my ignore list for the first time on any site ever.

Between this thread and the Boyega thread, I'm seeing all I need to see of "progressive" Era. A lot of progressive racism is what I'm seeing. Nuance is harder than black and white, and reality is harder than these people's cartoon-like head canon.

We see you.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes.

But no, this isn't just that. Please do not erase our voices and just claim that we're being emotional, that's absolute horseshit.
Some of us had personal stakes in what Bush and Obama did, some of us are just empathetic about it enough to not ignore what they've done.
So to see Michelle Obama here wilfully repair Bush's image for...whatever reason, warrants harsh criticism.

a lot of ERA ain't shit. I think it's time for me to start adding to my ignore list for the first time on any site ever.
What does this even mean fam? If you're going to start saying that we ain't shit for gassing up Michelle Obama because she's a black woman, ignoring all other context, then what did you expect?

I hate having to do this, but yeah, I'm black. We should be allowed to hold anyone accountable for their reprehensible opinions, whoever they are.
No one is being unnecessarily harsh here, considering this thread is specifically about her, and please note, this isn't the first time she did this.

All we're saying is that, is it too much to ask for her to not repair Bush's image? Stop being cute with the guy..

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
A lot of ERA ain't just shit. I think it's time for me to start adding to my ignore list for the first time on any site ever.

Between this thread and the Boyega thread, I'm seeing all I need to see of "progressive" Era. A lot of progressive racism is what I'm seeing.

We see you.
Comparing Boyega using clunky phrasing to Michelle defending George fucking Bush lol

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Within the context of what she's obviously talking about, sure.

Era extreme gonna extreme, though. Keep on attacking this amazing black woman. The rest of us see you. And don't worry about us; we're used to it.

for example. lol. we see you people.

Is Michelle Obama supposed to be above criticism because she's a black woman?

I'm just a white man, so maybe i don't get it. But as a queer person, i don't want shit people like Ellen or Dave Rubin to represent me, for example. I would imagine that my low opinion of Obama wouldn't change were i black. Especially since both of them keep putting the importance of their class and status quo above any consideration for other POC. Particularly non American ones.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly believe it.

Is Michelle Obama supposed to be above criticism because she's a black woman?

I'm just a white man, so maybe i don't get it. But as a queer person, i don't want shit people like Ellen or Dave Rubin to represent me, for example. I would imagine that my low opinion of Obama wouldn't change were i black. Especially since both of them keep putting the importance of their class and status quo above any consideration for other POC. Particularly non American ones.

Blanket dismissal and implied racism is how some moderate capitalists cope with the idea that some people have more extreme positions.

Oct 25, 2017

Between this thread and the Boyega thread, I'm seeing all I need to see of "progressive" Era. A lot of progressive racism is what I'm seeing. Nuance is harder than black and white, and reality is harder than these people's cartoon-like head canon.

We see you.

Wtf you really making your stand on this hill? It's George W Bush. The guy who illegally started a war that murdered hundreds of thousands of civilians, tortured thousands more and ignored a whole fucking American city that was flooded and devastated by Katrina because it happened to be a black city. Michelle trying to rehabilitate the image of this monster is absolutely deserving of being called out. He's a war criminal pure and simple and deserves to be hanged.

Oct 27, 2017
So the people that aren't dismissing the deaths of hundred of thousands lives in the middle east are the true racists huh? Wonder if these fools would be as eager to accept these sacrifices if they were the ones getting bombed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely baffled folks.

We've had to post Abu Ghraib, we've had to post up Obama and Bush's crimes, I had to post my identity incase others would try to dismiss me as some other "White progressive" for standing against this shit.
Absolutely baffling. Can some of you just look inwards and try to understand why there is so much anger for the Obamas? For Bush?
Or are these simply "Purity tests"?
Stop dismissing our voices as emotional babble and try to receive what we're saying for once. Stop excusing Bush's rehabilitation as some "personal relationship"..
There is no malicious intent here, so stop muddying up the waters with that nonsense.

The bad faith reads are goddamn infuriating. To try and poison the well and insinuate that there are racist undertones here.
Come on, fam..

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but there's no range of nuance in her phrasing that makes even slightly ok. This is just another member of the out of touch elite not understanding the actual human cost of Bush's presidency. But he's such a lovable goof and sometimes he has disagreements with us, but deep down he's a sweetie n_n

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I am glad we have sorted out that criticising someone for humanising and equating her views with that of a war criminal is where progressivism stops because it happens to be a POC, when it is clear that there is one thing that trumps race and it's clearly class.

Obama and his tepid-at-best progressivism coupled with his support for staunch centrism is partially responsible for Trump, let's not forget that. And the fact that the first time Obama spoke out against someone running for President was ... for some reason against Bernie and Warren.

So yes, these are her fucking values, she's a bad person and so is her husband.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We see you.

Maybe look past your narrow attachment to your specific faves to what the role of the presidency and the American empire actually is and then we can start talking about which takes are and aren't nuanced.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
She popularized "when they go low, we go high." This is her actually practicing what she preaches. She literally is forced to sit next to George Bush at every State event, so rather than be stank and throw him the finger which I assume you all want her to do, she engages him with regards to his family and found subjects with which they can speak on in a civil manner.

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad we have sorted out that criticising someone for humanising and equating her views with that of a war criminal is where progressivism stops because it happens to be a POC, when it is clear that there is one thing that trumps race and it's clearly class.

Obama and his tepid-at-best progressivism coupled with his support for staunch centrism is partially responsible for Trump, let's not forget that. And the fact that the first time Obama spoke out against someone running for President was ... for some reason against Bernie and Warren.

No lies detected.

Sorry but there's no range of nuance in her phrasing that makes even slightly ok. This is just another member of the out of touch elite not understanding the actual human cost of Bush's presidency. But he's such a lovable goof and sometimes he has disagreements with us, but deep down he's a sweetie n_n
Absolutely, how can anyone convince themselves that what she's doing is "OK"?
My only conclusions are that they either don't understand the dynamics at play here, or, they actually agree with this.

She popularized "when they go low, we go high." This is her actually practicing what she preaches. She literally is forced to sit next to George Bush at every State event, so rather than be stank and throw him the finger which I assume you all want her to do, she engages him with regards to his family and found subjects with which they can speak on in a civil manner.
She's practising what she preaches alright. A very flawed and dangerous practise at that, but sure.
I don't see how it's Christian values to excuse a war criminal though.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me how little America-Era thinks about outside their country.

This isn't about thinking, everyone can think whatever they want and be free to befriend whoever they want.

This is about white-washing a war criminal, one that hasn't faced the consequence of his actions only because he was the president of the US once.

There is a huge gap about thinking something bad and actually do it, especially something as bad as lying to make a war to bomb brown innocents.

I honestly don't give a damn about who Michelle wants to be friend. I just hate how this war criminal keeps being white washed and it's not where he deserves to be: in a jail.
I mean, most people don't all over the world. This is a human issue in general, so I'm not sure why some of you always try to frame these poor generalizations as some enlightened truth or behave as if it means anything specific. Yes, a lot of people all over world are concerned with immediate matters closer to home and within their lives. This occurs in plenty of cultures and it's part of human nature, what else is new?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely baffled folks.

We've had to post Abu Ghraib, we've had to post up Obama and Bush's crimes, I had to post my identity incase others would try to dismiss me as some other "White progressive" for standing against this shit.
Absolutely baffling. Can some of you just look inwards and try to understand why there is so much anger for the Obamas? For Bush?
Or are these simply "Purity tests"?
Stop dismissing our voices as emotional babble and try to receive what we're saying for once. Stop excusing Bush's rehabilitation as some "personal relationship"..
There is no malicious intent here, so stop muddying up the waters with that nonsense.

The bad faith reads are goddamn infuriating. To try and poison the well and insinuate that there are racist undertones here.
Come on, fam..

It's quite incredible.

All of this.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And I'm sure all those dead families in the Middle East are thankful that rather than hold the person responsible for killing so many civilians in the Middle East by starting a war on false pretenses, she is able to be "civil".

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Oh most definitely. Huge portion just miserable as FUCK. It makes some threads hard as hell, but I think it's okay for people to shit on Bush II. I don't understand why Michelle Obama being friends with him bothers so many people, but to each their own.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Bush was a somewhat endearing clown presentation wise, but also responsible for more pain and suffering that good. As a social figure I think he was an absolute wanker, and in a just world he and his administation would have to make restitution for the suffering they caused.

I think it is somewhat surprising they are so close, but not because of values. I would say in terms of values, the Obamas are closer to Bush for sure than they are to say Bernie Sanders. The main reasons being foreign policy and attitudes towards the wealthy, etc.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Ahh yes, the policies of Obama under a 6 year GOP controlled House and a 2 year controlled Senate followed by his executive orders that kept getting challenged by the courts is the reason why a bunch of white people voted for a wannabe-fascist, open white supremacist

Literally a President who was more popular than any of the nominees is the reason for Trump.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope she's able to be civil and Christian when dealing with trump and family at state events. Hope she can always go high xD

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To get a grip on this, to which percentage does your values, your compassion, love and solidarity with civilian brown people maimed, killed and tortured in the name of Empire intersect with Bush's? just the ballpark is enough.

I really doubt that Michelle was referring to killing brown people in her statement. I also doubt that she has motivations for something horrid like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Love seeing black icons holding hands with war criminals. Makes me realize the world can be a beautiful colour blind utopia. Once we bomb all the brown folk out of existence, hope Michelle, George, Ellen and maybe even Donald can find peace at Cowboys games :)

Oct 25, 2017
Oh most definitely. Huge portion just miserable as FUCK. It makes some threads hard as hell, but I think it's okay for people to shit on Bush II. I don't understand why Michelle Obama being friends with him bothers so many people, but to each their own.
Not that hard to understand, really.

She can be friends with whoever she likes, same with Ellen and all the other Neoliberals.
Just don't help repair his image, yeah?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope she's able to be civil and Christian when dealing with trump and family at state events. Hope she can always go high xD

Oh you know the second he's out of the office the media and everyone will work overtime to erase his crimes and scream forgive and forget. Can't have people actually realize we can hold our presidents accountable! (To be fair, this is something I'm expecting no matter who becomes president. Even if Bernie becomes president I would still expect him to tout forgive and move on)

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019

We see you.
Yeah Bush has done some horrible shit but he's also done say more than any other US president for Africa in like 50 years. To pretend like there's no nuance to the man at all is garbage.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why there is such an effort to normalize and "forgive" Bush nowadays. He's literally the cause of countless deaths, both American and otherwise, as well as a major reason the US economy got so fucked in the 2000s.

But for whatever reason, people try to push him as a goofy grandpa that likes painting, who made a couple of minor mistakes a few years ago. Michelle Obama, among others, is complicit in pushing this garbage narrative, and is rightly criticized for it every time she does it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Bush has done some horrible shit but he's also done say more than any other US president for Africa in like 50 years. To pretend like there's no nuance to the man at all is garbage.
What the hell is this? Now you want to frame Bush as being some good guy for Africa?
Spare me please. This thread is really something.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reminds me how little America-Era thinks about outside their country
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? It's the same everywhere. Domestic issues are almost always more important to people than foreign issues.

As an American citizen I weigh a president 60/40 domestic policy to foreign policy and that is caring a lot more about foreign policy than most other Americans.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How "miserable" I must be because I...*checks notes* want George W. Bush to be held responsible for his crimes!

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
What the hell is this? Now you want to frame Bush as being some good guy for Africa?
Spare me please. This thread is really something.

Maybe get a fucking clue? Bush's Pepfar program has saved an estimated 13m lives in Africa.

To quote an African President Joyce Banda,

"The president who stood up and said 'I am going to do this' was Bush," Joyce Banda, a former president of Malawi, told me last week in what is a familiar show of gratitude. "Because of Pepfar, Bush is my best president."

Bush is favored more than Obama in Africa. Step outside of the Era bubble sometimes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I really doubt that Michelle was referring to killing brown people in her statement. I also doubt that she has motivations for something horrid like that.
You can't just ignore all the terrible things Bush has done though and try and rehabilitate his image. It's dangerous and irresponsible.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? It's the same everywhere. Domestic issues are almost always more important to people than foreign issues.

As an American citizen I weigh a president 60/40 domestic policy to foreign policy and that is caring a lot more about foreign policy than most other Americans.
yes it is, it's the reason why nationalism is on the rise. And I don't think its fair to compare the reaction of other countries because very few of them are as involved in foreign affairs as the US, so americans not caring is vile

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because probably no one here cares who the Obamas are friends with. The 'wokest' among us must expect it already (class interests, after all.) Just don't float some spurious bullshit narrative about how it's actually noble lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe get a fucking clue? Bush's Pepfar program has saved an estimated 13m lives in Africa.

To quote an African President Joyce Banda,

"The president who stood up and said 'I am going to do this' was Bush," Joyce Banda, a former president of Malawi, told me last week in what is a familiar show of gratitude. "Because of Pepfar, Bush is my best president."

AND HE DESTABALISED AN ENTIRE CONTINENT, THROWING US INTO A FOREVER WAR THAT IS CONTINUING TO RUIN US TO THIS DAY!
WITH NUMBERS THAT ARE BEYOND COUNTING
Goddamn, I can't believe this shit.
Trump is definitely going to be rehabilitated.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I wonder how many years it will take for people to start looking down on others for saying bad things about Trump and co.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Oh you know the second he's out of the office the media and everyone will work overtime to erase his crimes and scream forgive and forget. Can't have people actually realize we can hold our presidents accountable! (To be fair, this is something I'm expecting no matter who becomes president. Even if Bernie becomes president I would still expect him to tout forgive and move on)

That didn't happen at all.

Obama overcame a lot of the racists in this county in the first election because too many non racists or diet racists were that mad with Bush's legacy.

Why lie so blatantly?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Within the context of what she's obviously talking about, sure.

Era extreme gonna extreme, though. Keep on attacking this amazing black woman. The rest of us see you. And don't worry about us; we're used to it.

for example. lol. we see you people.

And I see this very obvious deflection from what people are actually criticizing

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Not that hard to understand, really.

She can be friends with whoever she likes, same with Ellen and all the other Neoliberals.
Just don't help repair his image, yeah?
Judging by this thread it doesn't seem like she can repair his image. And I don't honestly think she's on a mission to do so. She's friends with him and has been friends with him for a while. Maybe this is just new news to a lot of people in this thread? I thought their friendship was pretty openly known?

Status
Not open for further replies.