• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
In what world can you say you share "humanity" with someone who got us in a forever war with manufactured narratives? Is it because your husband bombed children, too?

Should have not made such a remark at all. A golden rule for people like Michelle is to never try to speak warmly of former Republican presidents, as they're often the worst ones when they're alive.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
There's Brief moments like this when people start to realize that pretty much (bar a few who get pushed out) all politicians weather left wing or right wing are all part of the same crooked bird. Then we go back to regular programming and fighting amongst one another so we don't notice as much

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Hun the title of the PEOPLE.com article is literally

Michelle Obama Talks Bond with George W. Bush After Controversy Over Him Sitting with Ellen: 'Our Values Are the Same'
you didn't offer a take or watch the interview

you cherry picked a quote then shat out a thread for maximum impact.

shit's transparent

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I'm sorry. I must've missed when Obama invaded Afghanistan and then invaded Iraq after lying about weapons of mass destruction. Perhaps you can link some news articles that I can read to learn more about it? Oh, wait...he didn't? So, then no. He's not the same as Bush.

Again: I did not say he was "the same" as Bush.

Again: The Obama administration bombed civilians, knowingly. They were not the target, but they did not do anything to prevent it.

OP
OP
bye

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
you didn't offer a take or watch the interview

you cherry picked a quote then shat out a thread for maximum impact.

shit's transparent

the cherry picked quote is the one that's most relevant and interesting considering we already know how charitable she is with children's programs and politicians are always writing books, lol

don't put this on me when this is the news byte every outlet is taking from this interview

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Oh look, another 10+ minute interview with an influential woman on a variety of topics including fighting for the education of girls in cultures where they would otherwise be marginalized, a book, her relationship with her family and the value of voting in an election, and y'all take a 10 second soundbite and immediately start with the "she's trash fuck her," talk.

This is the second time this has happened in 30 days.

The op is being a manipulative shitposter and y'all falling for it like chumps. Nice progressive forum we got going here.
You can do all of those things WITHOUT attempting to redeem Bush.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder to everyone that you should never meet your heroes. They'll only end up disappointing you the more they talk.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
the cherry picked quote is the one that's most relevant and interesting considering we already know how charitable she is with children's programs and politicians are always writing books, lol

don't put this on me when this is the news byte every outlet is taking from this interview
"I swear I didn't know what I was doing when I pointed people at exactly where I wanted them to be outraged"

nah

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Yes, I can see all the effort you put into making it clear you're not comparing the two.

Both are war criminals. Their war crimes are not 'literally' the same, but does that even matter?

Obama is directly responsible for hundreds of deaths in Western Asia. Bush for thousands probably. This is not the war crime Olympics, both are guilty, and in a fair world, both would have been judged at an international court.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The man sent soldiers to die in a war built upon lies, then sends their families paintings of them he made. That's some serial killer shit.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh look, another 10+ minute interview with an influential woman on a variety of topics including fighting for the education of girls in cultures where they would otherwise be marginalized, a book, her relationship with her family and the value of voting in an election, and y'all take a 10 second soundbite and immediately start with the "she's trash fuck her," talk.

The op is being a manipulative shitposter and y'all falling for it like chumps. Nice progressive forum we got going here.

1) Feel free to make a thread about any of the other topics broached instead of thread whining about this one
2) You're working overtime to downplay this "10 second soundbite," but the fact of the matter is that this moment speaks volumes and is a striking and incendiary statement
3) Taking any steps to rehabilitate the image of a war criminal sucks
4) I don't know what you mean by "nice progressive forum we got going here," as none of the criticism here contradicts any kind of progressive values. Second, this is generally a liberal-leaning forum, not a progressive one. Third, even if Era did lean more progressive than liberal, the Obamas are about as milquetoast centrist as they come so why would you expect that to have any bearing here?

Criticizing people who try to rehabilitate war criminals is not cancel culture. It is, in fact, the only morally decent thing to do because we shouldn't be trying to soften the images of people who did heinous awful things.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Both administrations took part in bombing the shit out of middle eastern countries and racking up civilian collateral murder for the "good of the country". The only difference was policy. Bush was "Let's start a war" and Obama was "Let's switch to drones"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
ELhMCrZWwAcRffn
The Torture Report was something else, yo.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
She's explaining how they've bonded.
She's not rehabilitating his image she's answering a question by the itnerviewer. Her work in vietnam and her book are not 'george w bush, great guy.'
but keep dumping her in the trash it's clear some of y'all enjoy being provoked into aggressive misery forever.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

Oh look, another poster trying to shut down legitimate criticism by vaguely gesturing at sexism. If you say your values are the same as Bush, your values are fucked

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Those topics are indeed important.

Not as important as talking about how you want the same thing with a man who is a mass murdering war criminal. Get some perspective.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
She's not rehabilitating his image she's answering a question by the itnerviewer. Her work in vietnam and her book are not 'george w bush, great guy.'
but keep dumping her in the trash it's clear some of y'all enjoy being provoked into aggressive misery forever.
How is saying her values are the same as W not rehabilitating him?
It either means she thinks he is a good person, or she thinks of herself as an evil person.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
You can criticize Trump without humanizing Bush.

the poster said he'd rather 2 trump terms than bush jr. I'm reminding him that Trump has locked people in cages, ceded Kurdish territory to turkey, put Assad back in power, empowered Israel's apartheid by allowing Jerusalem to officially be Israel's capital, lost military lives through shortsighted ops, allowed the Saudi government to kill a journalist, continued operating in Afghanistan, reneged on the nuclear deal with Iran, and regularly praises dictators.

Iggelich

Aug 31, 2019
the poster said he'd rather 2 trump terms than bush jr. I'm reminding him that Trump has locked people in cages, ceded Kurdish territory to turkey, put Assad back in power, empowered Israel's apartheid by allowing Jerusalem to officially be Israel's capital, lost military lives through shortsighted ops, allowed the Saudi government to kill a journalist, continued operating in Afghanistan, and regularly praises dictators.
I know what the poster said, and I disagree with them. That doesn't change my issue with your post.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What really sucks about this is that Michelle is defending Bush to the American public. It reeks of revisionist history. It's dangerous and it should really cement in people's minds that she has more in common with the Bush family than she has with you.

She'd rather be buddies with Bush than hold him accountable for the Iraq war.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Both are war criminals. Their war crimes are not 'literally' the same, but does that even matter?

Obama is directly responsible for hundreds of deaths in Western Asia. Bush for thousands probably. This is not the war crime Olympics, both are guilty, and in a fair world, both would have been judged at an international court.

Oh. Look. Nuance. And now we're having a discussion about it. Isn't it wonderful?

I think you make a good point. I'm not sure being tried in the international criminal court is a precedent we should set, since by your standards, everyone who ever served in the military is a war criminal. Thinking about it, the only leader I can think who was tried in the ICC was Milošević, and he committed genocide, and died before he could be convicted anyways.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If you are a friend of Roman Polanski, and you assert that you share the same values as Roman Polanski, I'm going to assume that you are a bad person much like Roman Polanski is because Polanski did unspeakably atrocious things and you decided to hitch your wagon to him knowing about what he did.

She is leveraging her own goodwill by saying that she and Bush share the same values which is absolutely an attempt at rehabbing how people think about him. Either those values suck and it makes them both look bad, or it downplays his war crimes and he comes away looking better for it.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Oh. Look. Nuance. And now we're having a discussion about it. Isn't it wonderful?

I think you make a good point. I'm not sure being tried in the international criminal court is a precedent we should set, since by your standards, everyone who ever served in the military is a war criminal. Thinking about it, the only leader I can think who was tried in the ICC was Milošević, and he committed genocide, and died before he could be convicted anyways.

Why are you presuming to know what my standards are?

I never said every military person is a war criminal. Obama and Bush both definitely are, as well as many in high positions of command in the US armed forces.

Please elaborate on what that nuance is, and why does it release Obama from his crimes.

Or, let's keep pretending Obama, the anointed prince of liberalism and centrism, simply "did nothing wrong".

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

I never said every military person is a war criminal. Obama and Bush both definitely are, as well as many in high positions of command in the US armed forces.

Please elaborate on what that nuance is, and why does it release Obama from his crimes.

Or, let's keep pretending Obama, the anointed prince of liberalism and centrism, simply "did nothing wrong".

I didn't say it did. I just said that doing hot takes doesn't really lead to discussion. I noticed you didn't actually look at the part I put effort into, so I'm going to stop spending time on this conversation.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also holy shit the irony that they're doing this interview in Vietnam is incredible.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Every sitting US president that will come and has had the office in modern time will defacto become a war criminal. Bernie elected, yes he too, it isn't like the war machine, where US excels at, would just stop. Here is where nuance comes into play, where I would believe Bernie to make a much better job then any before in minimizing this shit.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
She is humanizing him by chalking up his decisions as just "a difference in opinion". Not to mention it's questionable that they bonded over their shared views on humanity as Bush at least has clearly shown that his views on humanity are destructive to large populations of them.

If THAT is what they bonded over and you still can't see any issues then I don't know what to say

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
You are hilariously transparent. Get better material. The only people who have mentioned cancelling anyone are you and another person making drivebys moaning about cancel culture.
Would it be better if I made analogies to the Alternative Medicine types? Start with some real information, extrapolate on it, fill in the blanks with what you want, make a leap to conclusions that aren't supported, look for that echo chamber of the like-minded and then try to bully anyone who doesn't agree. Scream at them to prove you wrong. Use strong language to do so. Unfortunately there isn't any way of rationally discussing as minds are made up and the emotional centers of the brain take over any sort of logical discussion. Its like Trump supporters in reverse.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I didn't say it did. I just said that doing hot takes doesn't really lead to discussion. I noticed you didn't actually look at the part I put effort into, so I'm going to stop spending time on this conversation.

Excuse me, is saying that Obama is a war criminal a hot take? Or only people we don't ideologically align with can be war criminals?

I saw the rest of your post. I cannot see the logic behind it that's all. Of course the international court is a joke right now, that's why I said "in a fair world".

Status
Not open for further replies.