• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
First of all, Sony's done a fantastic job just across the board in terms of what they've done with building an audience, selling consoles, obviously, a number of amazing, great games that have come out of their first party teams. I try to stay away from framing things as a head-to-head bout with Sony, instead I think that it's just up to us to focus on three things.

First of all, we need to deliver on the promises that we make. So if we say a game is going to ship at a certain time, we've got to get that done, we just need to get better at executing. We need to make sure that we hold the bar high on quality, and that we're releasing games that we can be proud of and that the fans can be proud of as Xbox exclusives. And then lastly, we need to continue building characters, stories and worlds that can transcend generations, devices and platforms.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Console warriors aren't gonna like this! It's the right way to think, though.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, we need to deliver on the promises that we make. So if we say a game is going to ship at a certain time, we've got to get that done, we just need to get better at executing. We need to make sure that we hold the bar high on quality, and that we're releasing games that we can be proud of and that the fans can be proud of as Xbox exclusives. And then lastly, we need to continue building characters, stories and worlds that can transcend generations, devices and platforms.
Music to my ears. :) Next gen will be amazing.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I love how each platform holder is going for their own unique strategy.

I expect success from all three in the next five years and I couldn't care less who "wins".

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Thats the right mindframe to be sucessful. We will have 3 systems next gen that all approach their business in a different way and thats great.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The PR turnaround for Xbox this gen is pretty remarkable. They're really saying all the right things, if they deliver on those promises this round I think the Series platform and XCloud are going to be a 360 style sea-change for them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
These sites really try to fuel the console war.

I remember that Kotaku interview from November where the interviewer tries all ways to get Greenberg to say something they can use as console wars. He doesnt and then they made the article title console warrior. To get clicks. This is the title.

And this is the question with the response.

Kotaku: Sony has been teasing aspects of the upcoming PS5. Anything you see there worry you?

Greenberg: Not really. We're more customer-obsessed than competitor-obsessed. I think Sony has built a great business, they have a very strong brand and a strong presence and we have a lot of admiration for what they've done.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
anyone else afraid the 'we must deliver on time' turns into mega crunch for studios?
I think it more likely means both adding the resources to make deadlines and also making promises that can reasonably be kept. Halo was an issue for them this gen but look at Forza and how well managed that's been, I think Forza is more the ideal model they're talking about.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I think Microsoft is done with hardware competition and don't care to sell like Sony. They are focused on their ecosystem penetration and gamepass.

I think soon or later we gonna see gamepass on PlayStation.

I think this is smart from them. Worldwide they can't compete with Sony on hardware but they can have better revenue with software and services.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This straightforward-ness from Microsoft has been refreshing.
Seems like they just want to work hard at creating good games and an attractive platform, that will be pushed harder when it's ready.

Just have to wait and see.

Chem

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
I think Microsoft is done with hardware competition and don't care to sell like Sony. They are focused on their ecosystem penetration and gamepass.

I think this is smart from them. Worldwide they can't compete with Sony on hardware but they can have better revenue with software and services.

It seems like MS wants to control the narrative and they can't do that if Sony won't allow Xbox Live sign in integrated.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

We won't see GP on PS.
MS would love it of course but it doesn't make any sense for Sony.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
They do have a different focus. Microsoft is all in on building a "play anywhere" ecosystem, offering a good range of different titles on Game Pass, and now adding streaming to that. Sony's more about traditional console stuff and tentpole games from their studios who are very established at making those.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's obvious to anyone but the most insane console warriors that Microsoft has been forging its own path in the last couple of years, disrupting the market with Game Pass, simultaneous releases on PC, focusing on different game genres to Sony, even bringing back Flight Sim. The differences are only likely to become more prevalent as we move in to next gen.

Enjoy it, surely good that we have multiple platform holders doing their own thing. And when I say platform holders I also include the likes of Stadia and Steam. Ecosystems are the platforms of the future not hardware devices.
This is all apart of the same mcvuk interview as the "exclusive" stuff
Yes but it's important that we split the same interview in to lots of threads just because!

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
These sites really try to fuel the console war.

I remember that Kotaku interview from November where the interviewer tries all ways to get Greenberg to say something they can use as console wars. He doesnt and then they made the article title console warrior. To get clicks. This is the title.

And this is the question with the response.

lol, that's pretty pathetic of Kotaku.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They do have a different focus. Microsoft is all in on building a "play anywhere" ecosystem, offering a good range of different titles on Game Pass, and now adding streaming to that. Sony's more about traditional console stuff and tentpole games from their studios who are very established at making those.

Microsoft is releasing a new dedicated console, and Sony are expanding their place in streaming with PlayStation Now. The Venn diagram of their focuses is nearly a circle.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Both companies are shooting off into two different directions, Sony is more traditional with a sprinkling of new with PS Now and possibly more advanced streaming services in the future and Microsoft have gone full "I dont care how or where, we just want you to play our games" which isn't surprising as Sony is just a juggernaut at the moment.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

No.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is releasing a new dedicated console, and Sony are expanding their place in streaming with PlayStation Now. The Venn diagram of their focuses is nearly a circle.
I don't disagree at all, I was referring more to which specific elements each one emphasizes even though they broadly overlap.