• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Phil has already gone on record saying it will be up to devs to implement and there would be opt-ins for controller only users to decide if they want to play with kbm users. I'm glad they've finally come up with a way to detect XIM users. Now that they're offering official support anyone caught using a XIM to circumvent controller only gameplay queues can be punished.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I was primarily looking forward to this because I was hoping that it could bring over some PC games with more complex interfaces. If standard controllers also have to be supported, then it's basically useless to me, since I have no desire to play with a mouse and keyboard unless I have to.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Would love for games like Siege to have controller players verse other Xbox controller players and Xbox m/kb players verse PC players.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Makes sense for games that are cross-play with PC anyways or games that are not competitive like Minecraft.
Would be cool if there would be a wide support for singleplayer games.

I like the idea

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see it as an option for ALL single player FPS games.

MP, is whatever, I'm okay with playing controller or m/kb, but for SP I don't see a reason to not allow it. Looks like they're doing their due diligence here though, so that's good.

Rage 2 and DOOM Eternal coming soon... yeah, I want M/KB please.

Nov 1, 2017
......they're going to red light right out of the packaging aren't they. From mice to headsets I had nothing but poor life spans with Razer products, and I take care of my things.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
RIP all my friends who play PUBG on Xbone

Mixing these users didn't kill fornite, this can be done right. Pad only shills and babies be damned.

Yeah, kind of strange. Microsoft has produced some pretty good mice/keyboards in the past. Partnering with the 99% marketing, 1% engineering company doesn't make any sense to me.

They are basically the only big maker of mice besides logitech who gives a fuck.

What you said about razer can easily be said about MS these days when it comes to how they treat the windows kernel.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Phil has already gone on record saying it will be up to devs to implement and there would be opt-ins for controller only users to decide if they want to play with kbm users. I'm glad they've finally come up with a way to detect XIM users. Now that they're offering official support anyone caught using a XIM to circumvent controller only gameplay queues can be punished.

From what i remember them saying earlier this year i believe, they have always had APIs that allow the detection and prohibition of devices like the xim thing that lets you use M&KB on xb1. It is up to developers to take advantage of these API's according to MS...in other words, using devices like the xim device are perfectly alright with microsoft aslong as the developers havnt actively gone out of their way to make sure said devices dont work in their games.

Oct 25, 2017
From what i remember them saying earlier this year i believe, they have always had APIs that allow the detection and prohibition of devices like the xim thing that lets you use M&KB on xb1. It is up to developers to take advantage of these API's according to MS...in other words, using devices like the xim device are perfectly alright with microsoft aslong as the developers havnt actively gone out of their way to make sure said devices dont work in their games.
You can't stop the XIM that way, because you must connect an official controller into it. The console detects the official controller that you have plugged into it. Then the XIM starts sending inputs.

It's a method to avoid having to license the device with MS or Sony, as that would require creating 2 versions of the device unlike the current one that just works on both consoles.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fear fear fear. Talked extensively with people about this last night. About how games with skill based matchmaking generally speaking make up for the difference in player skill by matching similiarly performing players with each other. I.E if you tend to score X, N KD etc. Even while playing against a collection of other PC and console players. Then even considering input you both can obviously play against each other just fine.

(Anecdotally speaking, for example in recent memory, I played Titanfall and BF1 on PC with a controller and did very well. If I was in a lower skill bracket with my buddies or something and that's what caused me to do better, well, I never noticed, so it basically didn't matter.)

Obviously the top of the top players are still going to be PC players, but that's already the case, and so they will be naturally sorted into effectively PC only lobbies as it were. If people are so worried about their epeen they're being silly though, as those PC/Esports players are obviously "better", just because you have two lists/brackets doesn't make it any less true.

Then or course they just immediately fell back on "well then every other PC player is cheating" argument and I knew it was not a rational conversation, as these often are not.

What it comes down to, is for some reason people are more concerned with false equality, and the vast majority of people will never ever be highly ranked enough for it to matter. Over options for people to play the way they want, and the games they want. There's plenty of great games that could be ported to consoles as a result. As their current control schemes simply aren't robust enough to handle it or need to be extensively retuned for it to work.

Also having an option for "Only want to play with controller players" is always a good one, and will likely be common in crossplay games. But the fact people can play together is the most important part. Sure you can't stop everyone from finding ways around it. But it already happens now with things like the XIM.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol MS better get on Razer's ass about long-term reliability

I actually use Razer DeathAdders as my PC gaming mouse, but they all go bad after 12 to 24 months. All three that I've bought.

But I still get them because I really like the exact shape and physical feel.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever lets them realize that keeping Gears Tactics and AoE PC exclusive is a less-than-smart decision. I hope to see a "Mouse and Keyboard Required" label slapped on a few releases in the future. They can improve the Windows Store all they want, but they'll still have negative mindshare regarding their philosophy and UWP, so may as well ship on Console to help mitigate it.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I've had a few razer keyboards and mice and I have never had any of the fabled quality issues. All were solid lasting products.

I've bought more Corsair stuff lately because thier quality has really gone up in the past years.

Anyway. Xbox players get ready for Batman looking products! Lol

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M7I4fgr.png

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Microsoft has said over and over that Devs are encouraged to make separate input playlists and can easily detect what input type you use. Its also in the article. This is a non-issue.
xbox-mouse-keyboard-dev-rules.jpg
So the players of games will be split up into two groups? Cutting the player base down? How is that a non-issue?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
So the players of games will be split up into two groups? Cutting the player base down? How is that a non-issue?
The player base will span across PC and Consoles. There will be a larger pool of players actually. I suspect the players lost to mice and keyboard on console will be gained by the PC players playing with a controller. I don't think this will affect player populations of each input type.

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But will it have Microsoft's build quality or Razer's.

Microsoft's cheap mice and keyboards are better than anything Razer makes.

Literally any mouse

You're adding an entire platform's worth of players for non-competitive playlists/modes. Or if the dev goes the Fortnite route and just throws M+KB players in with Controller players then you just straight up reap all the benefits (at the cost of some minor player frustration).

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Native support sounds amazing. Using an XIM4 is great, but the disconnect with button prompts makes it a nightmare for some games if you don't memorize the controls so I usually pick the controller back up. I doubt I'll be using KB+M much, I'd rather be comfortable on the couch with a controller while console gaming, but I welcome the option. If we're going to a cross-play future then let's allow everyone to choose their control method too!

Feb 17, 2018
Fear fear fear. Talked extensively with people about this last night. About how games with skill based matchmaking generally speaking make up for the difference in player skill by matching similiarly performing players with each other. I.E if you tend to score X, N KD etc. Even while playing against a collection of other PC and console players. Then even considering input you both can obviously play against each other just fine.

(Anecdotally speaking, for example in recent memory, I played Titanfall and BF1 on PC with a controller and did very well. If I was in a lower skill bracket with my buddies or something and that's what caused me to do better, well, I never noticed, so it basically didn't matter.)

Obviously the top of the top players are still going to be PC players, but that's already the case, and so they will be naturally sorted into effectively PC only lobbies as it were. If people are so worried about their epeen they're being silly though, as those PC/Esports players are obviously "better", just because you have two lists/brackets doesn't make it any less true.

Then or course they just immediately fell back on "well then every other PC player is cheating" argument and I knew it was not a rational conversation, as these often are not.

What it comes down to, is for some reason people are more concerned with false equality, and the vast majority of people will never ever be highly ranked enough for it to matter. Over options for people to play the way they want, and the games they want. There's plenty of great games that could be ported to consoles as a result. As their current control schemes simply aren't robust enough to handle it or need to be extensively retuned for it to work.

Also having an option for "Only want to play with controller players" is always a good one, and will likely be common in crossplay games. But the fact people can play together is the most important part. Sure you can't stop everyone from finding ways around it. But it already happens now with things like the XIM.

So do you think aimbots and wallhacks should be allowed on PC? Because theoretically the same logic should hold true. And the SBMM will just match the cheaters with each other. That way everyone can play how they like so its better for everyone.

Because my guess is you probably care about "false equality" when it benefits your playstyle.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
LMAO...

A few users posted in the other thread that the reason they are leaving PS4 because Sony supports KB and mouse for fortnite and Xbox doesn't which makes it a more level playing field lol

Wonder if they are reading g this news

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So do you think aimbots and wallhacks should be allowed on PC? Because theoretically the same logic should hold true. And the SBMM will just match the cheaters with each other. That way everyone can play how they like so its better for everyone.

Because my guess is you probably care about "false equality" when it benefits your playstyle.
I don't play competitive games much, and almost never alone. I like to play with my friends on the platform of my choice, and I'd like it if they could also play on the platform of their choice. That's what it comes down to for me. And of course I'm not advocating for cheating as it would in fact at least ruin the highest eschelon of play. As the buck stops somewhere. So if you're paired in the top 10% say. The top 10% would be ruined by rampent cheating. So your analogy doesn't really hold up. As a cheater is better than any player, because they're effectively not really playing.

Feb 17, 2018
I don't play competitive games much, and almost never alone. I like to play with my friends on the platform of my choice, and I'd like it if they could also play on the platform of their choice. That's what it comes down to for me. And of course I'm not advocating for cheating as it would in fact at least ruin the highest eschelon of play. As the buck stops somewhere. So if you're paired in the top 10% say. The top 10% would be ruined by rampent cheating. So your analogy doesn't really hold up. As a cheater is better than any player, because they're effectively not really playing.

I mean M/KB users would effectively ruin the highest echelon of play for controller users. I thought the whole argument was this stuff doesn't matter, so just let people use whatever they want.

And yes the buck does stop somewhere, it just seems the buck conveniently stops where it offers your playstyle the largest advantage. You don't want to play with people who have an unfair advantage over you, but you should be allowed to play with an unfair advantage over others.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The day consoles allow kb/m on consoles is the day I never play another multiplayer shooter ever again.