• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Nadella is wondering if demand for Microsoft hardware will hold up in the U.S and Europe?

That's ... not really a positive comment, is it?

The CEO is looking at the world wide economy wondering if people are going to have extra money for non-essential items. If you don't think every company is weighing this right now you're delusional.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Nadella is wondering if demand for Microsoft hardware will hold up in the U.S and Europe?

That's ... not really a positive comment, is it?

That is the exact opposite of what the quote says.

It's a cautious outlook because they have no idea what consumer buying power will look like this holiday season.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Sony on the other hand still have plenty to offer on their PS4 in the following months and i'm sure they won't let MS go early. They have also updated their official website yesterday and right on their header you can find a "Launches holiday 2020" and just last week they said "We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned! ".

MS and Sony are simply going with different approaches leading up to next gen, that's all.
This. That was a weird insinuation since Sony just updated their PS5 page literally yesterday on this topic and MS is still saying they still plan for keeping their launch date too. As such I expect they both still launch holiday 2020 as planned since they're both still talking about it even with everything going on.

The only factors that would lead to either console getting delayed are factors that affect both, so I don't know how somebody can be so adamant that one is getting delayed and one isn't.
This.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can only hope we are coming out of this crisis by the end of the year but many people won't have the necessary money to buy a possible 500 or above dollar console. it might suck but its possible that both ms and sony delay the console to next year so they can have a stronger launch.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm assuming the problem is an economic issue, as most companies are facing short term uncertainty as unemployment may potentially increase

Unemployment may potentially increase? You might want to talk to a few more people, because the numbers who have recently lost their jobs due to mandatory shutdowns are already staggering. There are always some who are relatively unaffected, many of whom might be prime candidates for adopting new technology early, but it's difficult to estimate numbers. My guess is that launch will still look pretty healthy but that year two is going to be rough by historical standards. How fast economic recovery will take from an individual perspective is much harder to estimate, and of course it's tied in some ways to how recklessly we decide to pursue productivity at any cost as individual societies.

What will be fascinating is seeing whether Microsoft attempts to get Lockhart out at the same time or nearly so, and what the relative sales of the two SKUs look like. I can't decide if it will swing toward Lockhart for economic reasons, or if those affected will just stick with the Xbox One for now and Series X will move a lot of units to those who were already in great shape and are therefore relatively immune from the short-term effect on the economy.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Sony on the other hand still have plenty to offer on their PS4 in the following months and i'm sure they won't let MS go early. They have also updated their official website yesterday and right on their header you can find a "Launches holiday 2020" and just last week they said "We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned! ".

MS and Sony are simply going with different approaches leading up to next gen, that's all.
I'm sure you've heard the expression pay attention to what they do, not what they say. They seem to be slow walking the rollout of the PS5 and I don't think it's crazy to wonder if thats because they're feeling some uncertainty about whether they're going to ship in 2020.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Unemployment may potentially increase? You might want to talk to a few more people, because the numbers who have recently lost their jobs due to mandatory shutdowns are already staggering. There are always some who are relatively unaffected, many of whom might be prime candidates for adopting new technology early, but it's difficult to estimate numbers. My guess is that launch will still look pretty healthy but that year two is going to be rough by historical standards. How fast economic recovery will take from an individual perspective is much harder to estimate, and of course it's tied in some ways to how recklessly we decide to pursue productivity at any cost as individual societies.

What will be fascinating is seeing whether Microsoft attempts to get Lockhart out at the same time or nearly so, and what the relative sales of the two SKUs look like. I can't decide if it will swing toward Lockhart for economic reasons, or if those affected will just stick with the Xbox One for now and Series X will move a lot of units to those who were already in great shape and are therefore relatively immune from the short-term effect on the economy.
If Lockhart does launch and it comes out alongside the XSX I think it's going to be the go to console for the early years of the gen because of the recession, at least in North America and assuming it can launch at $299-349.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Lockhart might be a blessing in disguise if we go into full bore global recession. But it needs to be priced right.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Last edited:

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he says that in that sense, but more as in will demand be there given the COVID-19 global crisis?

People might be spending less or we might see a second outbreak during winter.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Proven could the title be fixed to reflect that he's talking about low demand due to COVID-19 affecting the economy?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So no delay, but supply might see some scarcity. As expected.
Yup, scalpers are just waiting but they will have a ton of toilet paper they will have to offload first.

They'd be losing way too much money releasing Series X at $400. I don't even think that makes sense for them.

At what price would lockhart be released? 200? For sure not $300 since it wouldn't make sense to release 2 different consoles for only $100 gap.
Nothing you say seems to want to make sense other than hedging bets Microsoft will be out of position either way. Many have also analyzed the PS5 and think they too won't be able to hit $400. Nobody seems to want to announce price first but someone will have to eventually. Phil Spencer said they will not be out of position on price or power so we will just have to wait patiently.