Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...rface-dual-screen-andromeda-device-pocketable

Microsoft has been working on a new mysterious Surface device for at least two years. Codenamed Andromeda, the device has appeared in patents, reports, and in operating system references multiple times and will include a dual-display design. According to a Microsoft internal document obtained by The Verge, it's also going to be a pocketable Surface device.

Microsoft describes its Andromeda project as something the company has quietly incubated internally, and that will create a "new and disruptive" device category to influence the overall Surface roadmap and blur the lines between what's considered PC and mobile. "It's a new pocketable Surface device form factor that brings together innovative new hardware and software experiences to create a truly personal and versatile computing experience," is exactly how Microsoft describes the device internally. Thurrott originally reported some of Microsoft's plans earlier this month, and Numerama originally unveiled the Andromeda codename last year. Microsoft declined to comment on Andromeda to The Verge.

Oct 26, 2017
if this does get released this year, i will finally upgrade my phone to this.

I also expect this to be similarly priced to the foldable samsung, 1800-2100

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a major evolution of the original "Courier" concept from a few years ago. I wonder if this is finally achieving what they wanted to, but just didn't have the tech abilities to at the time. Kind of like the Nintendo Switch in some ways.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Surface Phone lives. Might want to rethink that code name, though; some baggage there.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for the little foldable computers they have in Westworld lol

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
My only complaint is that the middle screen connection is rounded and not flat and flush.

I like this:

DRagQoYXkAAl-m6.jpg:large

I DON'T like this (bottom right pic):

Like if they found a way to connect/fold it so that you get two flat edge-screens touching each other mostly flush, it would be better.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've been hearing about this forever. Hopefully MS actually puts before Google and iPhone put out their foldable device and claim all the market share.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
That is too fuckin' sexy!
Google has something called Andromeda as well. Haven't looked into that for a while tho, so not sure if it ever got off the ground but holy hell, that is a nice device. Reminds me of the GPD devices in a few years time.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This could be interesting. Doubt it's a phone, much too late for that.

Be cool to have an always connected Windows 10 tablet to use on the go.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't a phone then I'm not interested. Are MS capable of making a new phone? Thought that was all dead. Thinking about software more than hardware

If this is just a tablet/PDA then it loses a lot of appeal to me personally

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Surface team has made some amazing designs in the past so I'm looking for to seeing the unveiling of this product. Hopefully it's game changing.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So it's a phone that can fold out to double its screen size? Huh.

Sounds cool, but I'm not sure I really need that extra space.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That render is absolutely beautiful but I wonder about the practically and durability of something like this.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft and first gen hardware - two great tastes that go great together lol

seriously though, this will be niche as hell, but it will be interesting to watch for sure. always appreciate a big company taking a risk

That render is absolutely beautiful but I wonder about the practically and durability of something like this.

yeah, good ideas are easier than good execution on the ideas. MS has so many forward-thinking ideas over the years (tablets in 2001) but the execution leaves something to be desired.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't a phone then I'm not interested. Are MS capable of making a new phone? Thought that was all dead. Thinking about software more than hardware

If this is just a tablet/PDA then it loses a lot of appeal to me personally

Rumor is it will have phone capabilities but it sounds like Microsoft doesn't want to position it against the iPhone/Galaxy.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest thing I'm seeing is that Intel is apparently looking to release a device similar to the Andromeda because of Microsoft's work on the OS to make it viable. I would love to see a niche market carved out of foldable tablet phone things.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool but I just hope they're smart about what runs on this in terms of software. An actual Windows PC in your pocket would be stellar.