• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Microsoft discontinues Xbox One Kinect adapter

"After careful consideration, we decided to stop manufacturing the Xbox Kinect Adapter to focus attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming accessories across Xbox One and Windows 10," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement to Polygon. As for any plans to bring back the item in the future, the representative declined to discuss Microsoft's product roadmap, but said the adapter "will no longer be available."

But the Kinect Adapter has now been out of stock for months at the Microsoft Store and retailers such as Amazon, Best Buy and GameStop, fueling speculation that the company has discontinued the item. In fact, if you search for "Kinect" on the Microsoft Store website, the adapter doesn't even show up in the results anymore; we were only able to access the sold-out product listing from an old link.

As for the Xbox One Kinect itself, Microsoft announced in October 2017 that it had ended production of the peripheral. At the time, the company said in a statement to Polygon that "it is not the end of the journey for the technology" because, in part, "Kinect continues to delight tens of millions of Xbox owners." Today, however, Microsoft has fully closed the door to the possibility of new Kinect users.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/2/16842072/xbox-one-kinect-adapter-out-of-stock-production-ended

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the coffin had long since been sealed and lowered into the ground.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I actually had a Kinect it was great. RIP don't own an XboxOne yet so I haven't tested the new one

Last edited:

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I changed the title to make it more descriptive.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad I got my adapter off Kijiji for $15 a few months ago when I got my X :)

Still use my kinect for voice commands, it's great.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
RIP. Kinect voice control was great, and Cortana still sucks compared to the original Xbox commands.

It's funny the PS Camera ended up coming out on top and is still fully supported on the Pro (for VR reasons obviously).

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
I use my Kinect for voice control. Seems like the last dash update fixed a few things (or maybe it works better on the X). It was almost useless for awhile. I probably should pick up an adapter for my S.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still couldn't believe they kept pushing it with the launch of he Xbox One. Thought it kinda died even during the 360.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I brought two of these recently. Knew something like this would happen.

Shame as the Kinect for the Xbox One could have been so much more.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am actually pretty sad about this. I used the Kinect a lot with "xbox on" and the controls when watching movies. It was very easy to mute and increase/decrease the sound volume on the TV without using the controller. But then it died and MS wanted 120$ to fix it.
I'm still sad too I use it to turn off when I wake up in the morning from going to sleep to rain sounds through youtube. Bought an Xbox One X and I cant use it. Now I have to actually go and press the button :(

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda bullshit, and a slap in the face to anyone that supported them early-on. If I want an X1X I guess that means I will have to leave my Kinect behind?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why tf didn't they rebrand kinect as some sort of cheap creative tool??? Just because it was an abysmal failure for games, doesnt mean the tech behind it isn't great. There's so much cool shit out there involving the kinect (i.e. mo cap), so it's a shame they're moving away from PC compatibility :/

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Thank you, MS, for beta testing the technology that would eventually end up in my iPhone X. FaceID + Keychain is the greatest thing ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I heard its response time was too slow, so I was waiting for a better version to get it, back then. Maybe they could make some kinetic games BC and have them work better on the Xbone? I guess the ship has sailed.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The tech may integrate well into VR and AR in the future. I didn't like it on Xbox but I can see it being utilized in some form again. But not as "Kinect"

Peace Kinect.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I've had an Xbox One for close to 3 years now and used a Kinect for only 1 of those years. Still, I loved that eye in the sky recognizing me.

RIP.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard its response time was too slow, so I was waiting for a better version to get it, back then. Maybe they could make some kinetic games BC and have them work better on the Xbone? I guess the ship has sailed.

It actually isn't too bad. I didn't have issues in D4. I'm gonna download Child of Eden and try it with that.

A few Kinect games are BC. I hope some more come.

it was, the same tech now powers facial recognition on the new iPhone

Really? That's pretty neat.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a streamlined version for the headsets.

Nov 1, 2017
The Xbox One X just came out! I'd have gone out and bought one of these stupid things if I had known there was a rush.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It actually isn't too bad. I didn't have issues in D4. I'm gonna download Child of Eden and try it with that.

A few Kinect games are BC. I hope some more come.

Isn't D4 a Xbone game? I meant the original 360 kinect. Yeah, Child of Eden is a game I'd love to play with the kinect, but I've never heard of the BC version being used with it.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, scalpers are asking astronomical prices for these adapters.

I snagged one a couple months ago from GameStop, mostly so my wife could keep playing Fantasia and for the occasional "Xbox, record that!" in Forza and Overwatch. I haven't actually tried it out yet, but apparently I got it when the getting was good.