• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
For all its monetary success with the Switch and Animal Crossing and even with the global pandemic, some fans were frustrated when yet another holiday season went by in 2020 with no whisper of Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, or Bayonetta 3. And it turns out, Microsoft may have been a bit perplexed as well.

As part of the ongoing Epic v. Apple trial, a new document was published as evidence that included a rough outline of both "high-profile" Xbox One releases for the third and fourth calendar quarters of 2020, as well as the company's understanding of its competition's biggest upcoming releases. The presentation, which is from August 2020, reveals that at the time Xbox believed Nintendo's slate for October through December 2020 included The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, and Shin Megami Tensei 5 — none of which ended up coming out during that window.

www.ign.com

Xbox Expected Breath of the Wild 2 to Launch Last Year - IGN

Fans were frustrated when 2020 went by with no whisper of Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, or Bayonetta 3. And it turns out, Microsoft may have been perplexed as well.

Interesting information from Epic vs. Apple. Close if old. I did do a search first.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Them thinking MP4 was coming out last year has to make you think they might not know anything. (I do believe BOTW 2 is coming out this year)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You'd think they got that document made pre-COVID with how optimistic it is, but no lol

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
MS needs to learn how to be a Nintendo fan, it seems. Specifically a Zelda fan. Last major Zelda game to come out with no delays was Wind Waker I think, lmao.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
...it sure seems like they were just saying those were the games that could come out from Nintendo. Because those 4 were like the only games Nintendo had announced at the time.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It's likely that whoever wrote that just put all the Nintendo games with TBA release dates in the holiday season.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Same here. If we're in a different universe where COVID-19 never happened, I wondered if 2020 would become one of the greatest years in video gaming history?
Tbf, I still think BotW 2 would've launched somewhere in 2021. I get the feeling the game wasn't that far along and the current state of affairs only exacerbated things.

Metroid Prime 4... absolutely no idea what's happening with that game LMAO. 2024 release vibes.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They had also expected Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 to be out last year.
Its pretty obvious that they just had no idea and guessed everything is coming out in that year until it isnt (hence the big arrow indicating major possibility of delay to next year there).
They also had a list predicting PS5 releases and they had predicted Demon's Souls to be out in 2021 with the same arrow to indicate a major chance at a delay to 2022 which of course turned out to be a launch title.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
They must have Twitter gamer brain where they think all the big games are gonna release this year. All joking aside this isn't anything based on factual data MS has. Just some random guesses from the team who aren't aware of internal development at other companies.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
maybe it's the only way microsoft could comprehend how units are flying off shelves with just Animal Crossing

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm still not sure why people are tripping on not seeing Prime 4 yet. Like… it completely restarted from scratch just two years ago, and one year ago COVID started. We do know what's going on, lol. Even without COVID the best case was Q1 2022.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn they probably though F-Zero was getting bundled with the Switch Pro on January too.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
BotW2, yeah, sure, it's been 4 years since BotW so it can't be that far off.

MP4? Lmao. I'd be less surprised if they announced that Retro had no longer existed, it's been over 7 years since their last game and we haven't heard a single piece of media that they've worked on since.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Not everything from the trial needs to be written into an article.
This. One company gave a competitor an optimistic outlook for their Q4 2020 output during a presentation. There's nothing abnormal about assuming that your competitors will outperform you in a given quarter. It's just good business strategy to set a high bar so that you can have scenarios of how your company can pivot and market your products in an environment where everyone else is buying your competitor's products. There's a reason why high-level meetings have MBAs and not a bunch of memelords.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Pure-hearted Microsoft out here willing to believe in games when no one else will.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I wonder if Nintendo thinks about the competition as much as the competition thinks about them.

lmao, you truly think they don't?

I'll never understand why many here don't realize these are business conglomerates. Market research, forecasting, risks and mitigation etc. those all get run.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Isn't it normal to expect the worst? I mean, it's better than underestimate your rivals. Think of the most extreme situation and you'll be able handling situations like that better. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

microsoft expected halo infinite to launch last year
True! Made me laugh out loud (and cry a little, since I;m all into Halo).

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This headline is much more firm about what Xbox expected than what the presentation actually conveys.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
If Metroid Prime 4 wasn't on the list, I'd find this interesting, but now I just think they were guessing.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Nimmermehr

Oct 27, 2017
Every person on Resetera is apparently better informed and more reasonable than Microsoft Analysts..

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think even the most optimistic Nintendo fan though Prime 4 was coming out last year, even pre-Covid I thought 2022 at the earliest.