• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
2003098702.jpeg
2003098706.jpeg
2003098708.jpeg
2003098716.jpeg

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I think the thing that impresses me the most about this game is the volumetric clouds tech.
Holy.Shit.
I want that in every game from now on. They look absolutely insane, absolutely the best clouds I've ever seen in real time rendering.

The clouds in RDR2 were already great and impressive but this is something else. Can't wait to try it out if my computer allows me.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal

Holy shit. Color me surprised.

I just got some big goosebumps by seeing the thumbnail of this video and I haven't even seen it.

That's Lisbon, Portugal, where I live. That was instantly recognizable and looks ALMOST ALMOST just as incredible as when I'm landing here on a real plane. I wasn't truly expecting to see someone fly over my hometown, and reality sets in for me in a way it hadn't watching other videos.

For my father, who loves planes, but has never played a videogame before, I'm hoping this video will make him want to invest in trying this out.

I'm definitely in, this just looks amazing and my reason to try a simulation like this is to explore, see the world and, finally, the tech we have here allows for incredible visual fidelity.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear people who did the previews could do what they wanted. Like fly anywhere, time of day, weather, airfield. Thats promising to hear.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Once handled through Azure algorithms and machine learning, the result is an accurate and detailed reflection of the real world. This digital dupe retains pinpoint precision down to centimeters, conveying the world's top cities, airports, or even your back yard. And as pulled from Bing in real-time, any future changes over time will be reflected in-game.

I said goddamn.

Also seriously, we need a caption saying which cities, countries are we looking at on some of the footage, I want to know what exactly I'm looking at :P

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Holy shit those graphics. This must be a dream come true for some people.

But I wonder, how are they going to handle restricted areas like military zones etc.?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game just looks beyond ridiculous, like holy crap

I'm curious how much of that will transfer to the Xbox one X version

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta question: Is MS flight simulator regarded as a real simulator well aproximated to real life?

Do moders have to program the phyiscs of their own models?
excuse my english.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta question: Is MS flight simulator regarded as a real simulator well aproximated to real life?

Do moders have to program the phyiscs of their own models?
excuse my english.

It has always been a simulator series, yes, useful for real life training, but with limitations.

The last MS Flight Sim, game, FS X, was released in 2006. The MSX engine has been used and re-purposed by flight training software producers since then, and versions of it are still in use by hardcore simmers, but it's not cutting edge anymore, and not really realistic. That mostly has to do with the flight model, which is too simplistic and gives you a flight experience so stable it feels like it's 'on rails' (at least according to hardcore simmers). It's still a useful tool for real life pilots wanting to train because you can train procedures, instrument use, and there are a ton of add ons.

Since then other simulators like X Plane have improved on the flight model to give a more real life approximation of the effect of gravity, weather, other forces on the plane. The new MS Flight Sim also does that, simulating thousands of points on a single plane.

There are many modders of FSX, X Plane, P3D and so on, and they go to great lengths to model airplanes realistically, but the core physics of the sim put limitations on that. This new flight sim looks to have remarkably realistic physics and also remarkably realistic stock plane behaviour, so you don't need mods to get a realistic experience. But modders will go on to make tons of planes and add-ons for sure.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that truly loved the original and played it with a flight stick and such too of course, the announcement of this at E3 was possibly the biggest news for me personally :) And these graphics are just jaw dropping insane on the preview stuff.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has always been a simulator series, yes, useful for real life training, but with limitations.

The last MS Flight Sim, game, FS X, was released in 2006. The MSX engine has been used and re-purposed by flight training software producers since then, and versions of it are still in use by hardcore simmers, but it's not cutting edge anymore, and not really realistic. That mostly has to do with the flight model, which is too simplistic and gives you a flight experience so stable it feels like it's 'on rails' (at least according to hardcore simmers). It's still a useful tool for real life pilots wanting to train because you can train procedures, instrument use, and there are a ton of add ons.

Since then other simulators like X Plane have improved on the flight model to give a more real life approximation of the effect of gravity, weather, other forces on the plane. The new MS Flight Sim also does that, simulating thousands of points on a single plane.

There are many modders of FSX, X Plane, P3D and so on, and they go to great lengths to model airplanes realistically, but the core physics of the sim put limitations on that. This new flight sim looks to have remarkably realistic physics and also remarkably realistic stock plane behaviour, so you don't need mods to get a realistic experience. But modders will go on to make tons of planes and add-ons for sure.
Thank you.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had so high hopes that I was a bit disappointed seeing some LOD problems and some flat textures.

Still the best looking game I've seen though, especially during rainy weather.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. Is the whole world really recreated 1:1?

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
So it's the entire world being streamed to you? Can I fly over my house/town?

Nonetheless, it looks fucking amazing.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. Is the whole world really recreated 1:1?
It tries to from what I'm listening to someone's preview. Unfortunately it's bottlenecked by Bing Maps so in parts where there's sparse/missing data, it uses Machine Learning to generate what it thinks is there from buildings to trees. They are aiming for at least 400 cities to start.

73uRWSe.png

We've seriously hit the promised land with the fidelity here. They even got the moon rendered!
Better start saving. GPU, 3x monitor setup, Flight sticks...

Fennec

Jan 22, 2019
well they are using images of the real locations.

it won't obviously. this is a flying game. the only time you're gonna be on/near the ground is at the airports. they can afford to make everything look this good because it's really just scenery.

Back in 98/99 I think, Project IGI, a very good FPS at the time, used the engine of Joint Strike Fighter, a flight sim.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the sudden urge to be playing this on my Switch while on an actual plane

do you think this would be one of the games Microsoft would allow to be published on Switch?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2003098708.jpeg

dude wtf. how is this even possible?

one of the b roll footage even had traffic. thats insane.

I have the sudden urge to be playing this on my Switch while on an actual plane

do you think this would be one of the games Microsoft would allow to be published on Switch?
no offense but no current gen console will be able to run this game. not even the midgen refreshes. it looks next gen. i wouldnt be surprised if most PCs cant handle it.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I didn't know we had a newer thread for the new MFS until just now!

Yeah, it's looking revolutionary for the flight sim world. I've stopped buying any more addons for Prepar3D as I'm planning on migrating to the new MFS on day one. It's just breath taking.

Good to know it's a through and through flight simulation now too. I'll be building a new PC just for this.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I want to walk and drive cars in this game too now.Biggest open world ever ah ah.