• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
Video in this thread a few posts back says ray tracing is not in the game.

Thanks man. Kind of surprising no ray tracing.

According to one of the videos posted, they are doing something Azure-based and A.I processing based to generate the world from Bing Maps information. probably running on a hell of a rig too but they did talk about offline, online cached and online streaming modes. Assuming the cache could be crazy big if you wanted full everything all the time.

Wow if this is cloud based then I wonder if I could just stream it.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
How are they doing the lightning? How are they mitigating the shadows/lighting from the real world satellite images?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How are they doing the lightning? How are they mitigating the shadows/lighting from the real world satellite images?
Not 100% sure. Maybe its linked to the A.I Learning side of things. A recent video did talk about how they do the skies etc and factoring in actual humidity etc, so maybe lighting it link to that perhaps.

Any word on storms and snow.

Some rainstorms have been shown, so based upon how crazy they are going detail wise, we can expect all the weather.

Oct 25, 2017
Blown away with the latest footage. The tech used to populate the landscape is a game changer never seen anything like it before.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
some locations on bing maps is are like 5-8 years old and really low quality, I open they got a refreshed satellite data set in the works. it seems like some areas did however, I just looked at some places I remember looking at 3 years ago and it seemed it got an update about 1.5 years ago (and this was central europe), so I imagine some places in asia/south america/africa could be really outdated and low quality due to how satellites are prioritised.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Thats actually quite easy, they shade and color with ingame engine, the raw data they get from cloud is probably just grey with some metadata information how to color it.

---
According to one of the videos posted, they are doing something Azure-based and A.I processing based to generate the world from Bing Maps information. probably running on a hell of a rig too but they did talk about offline, online cached and online streaming modes. Assuming the cache could be crazy big if you wanted full everything all the time.
Cache shouldnt be too big, like probably max 20-25gb or something, as you generally will be flying over quite small part of the whole globe.

---
one of the b roll footage even had traffic. thats insane.
Traffic is procedurally generated and follow somehow the roads, but you can clearly see in some scenes vehicles flying around through bridges, outside of roads or through parked cars as its path is not correctly aligned with roads represented in game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
no offense but no current gen console will be able to run this game. not even the midgen refreshes. it looks next gen. i wouldnt be surprised if most PCs cant handle it.

The game's website says its coming to Xbox One :)

www.xbox.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator | Xbox

Available now across devices with Game Pass

Folks probably shouldn't hold their breath for a Switch port though outside some xCloud integration.

This game makes me want to get a nice HOTAS setup. Fingers crossed for a bundle with Scarlett that includes one.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is rendering like... the whole world, right? I had no idea.

I can't wait to get it, if so. Won't have a PC capable of playing it, but will wait for consoles.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
ubjjYt9.png

5OUL1rD.png

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
There will obviously be flat textures, especially looked up close. What's so impressive is that they say the Seattle area, for example, that was flown a lot in this preview session, is all auto generated. Look at the coast line, or small piers sticking out into the water. That's hard to get right. So many details that could go wrong. And it already looks this good. There's some super high level auto gen going on here. The buildings too, that are not 3D on Bing.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
The videos are absolutely amazing. I'd love to see them treat it as a platform where people can build games or mods or or interactive experiences on top of, or inside it.

I would pre-order right now based on these videos, but just had the realization it is going to be free with Game Pass so I already have it. Microsoft is really coming back strong.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Looks incredible, albeit boring.

But incredible graphics nontheless.

Looks like a game you play to just relax.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
This looks amazing. I had a crazy (probably terrible) idea. What if they could link Minecraft Earth into this and as people build things they could show up in here when you're flying around. That would be kind of neat.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah most sim games arnt the most exciting. I love the Euro/American Truck Simulator games but I wouldn't call em exciting. They are game you play and do something else like listen to music or a podcast. If you really dig it then the game can stand alone but I'd admit that I'm not that person. The idea of building up my trucking empire helps me with playing ATS

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah that's why I'm hoping they use this as a launching pad to build toward their combat flight sim series as well.

I enjoy flight sims but find the combat sims more fun in terms of gameplay and variety.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks like some voodoo witchcraft. Like how the fuck does it look that good MS? How?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
i don't think they could compete with DCS on that front to be honest

I mean I think there's room for both. DCS serves the more hardcore people and the way it functions is quite a nickel and dime approach with all the modules/planes you have to buy.

Having a simple complete WWII combat flight sim with a campaign and online play built with the technology behind this game would be amazing and enough to market to an audience apart from DCS.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a 35 minute compilation video showing all footage we have so far of the pre-alpha version of the sim:

Dear Lord this sim seems amazing. It's leaps and bounds over anything we've ever seen before.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
One day we'll get to a stage where procedural generation algorithms and base assets are so complex and powerful in AI computations that satellite data will be interpreted with such detail that we'll be able to get out on the ground an exist in a remarkably convincing 3D world, from surface to the skies.

This, for a game in just 2020, looks absolutely un-fucking-believable.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
One day we'll get to a stage where procedural generation algorithms and base assets are so complex and powerful in AI computations that satellite data will be interpreted with such detail that we'll be able to get out on the ground an exist in a remarkably convincing 3D world, from surface to the skies.

Imagine what small indie devs could do with such resources.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on storms and snow.
One of the devs from Asobo said that they were flying through Dorian but they still need to fix physics on the eye of the storm.

Aka real life real time weather conditions in game, if I interpreted that correctly. Which is completely insane and awesome.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
They need to use this tech to make a new Combat Flight Simulator. Imagine having all the fronts of WW2.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
They need to use this tech to make a new Combat Flight Simulator. Imagine having all the fronts of WW2.
It uses mapping data to pull this off. So not likely unless Microsoft has a time machine and can go back and map the 1940s. (I do desperately still want it though).

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, this is like only 7-10 years off.
It will probably start with some city being fully scanned by drones and used in one game.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, it looks like Google Earth :P

Seriously, is the entire world included ?