• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
screenshot2020-01-012q9jfl.png

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a nice video comparing Google Earth locations vs the MFS in game versions of them, with close to same locations and perspectives for comparisons sake:

It's so damn impressive!

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Is anyone else slightly worried about the possible pricing strategy of this game? I fear they could absolutely fuck it up by requiring a subscription of some sort.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten an invite, and apparently only people with at least 32GB of RAM are being selected so I won't be getting in with my 16GB. Shucks.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Can't speak about stuff due to NDA, but all I'm gonna say is, this game looks way easier in the trailers. Hahahh. :p

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't gotten an invite, and apparently only people with at least 32GB of RAM are being selected so I won't be getting in with my 16GB. Shucks.

I have 32gb and have yet to get an invite, sad panda is me.

what's wrong ms, you don't want my i9-9900k and 2080ti pushing your game to its full potential? :(

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
That's great that they've acknowledged that VR is a top request. I'd hop in this game immediately if it got VR support.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except, presumably, all the time it would take to develop an easy mode? Which the developers might choose to devote to developing a flight sim, instead.

I mean, the title of the game isn't exactly hiding what the goal is, here.
In general I agree but this is a different era, and I'm confident that MS wants to reach as broad an audience as possible and will have a multitude of options to make this game as easy/simplistic to as realistic/simulation to accommodate anybody interested.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Except, presumably, all the time it would take to develop an easy mode? Which the developers might choose to devote to developing a flight sim, instead.

I mean, the title of the game isn't exactly hiding what the goal is, here.
an easy mode for flight sim would not be as hard to make as you think it would. they could just make an option so you dont have to adjust a bunch of things when you're flying around and it'll do it for you automatically, and that'll make it a lot easier and more accessible

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
They've talked about accessibility and making the game easy for beginners. But I would imagine that's not what they're interested in testing for the alpha, and it's simply not implemented yet. It's general performance, both streaming and local, that they're interested in testing right now.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
an easy mode for flight sim would not be as hard to make as you think it would. they could just make an option so you dont have to adjust a bunch of things when you're flying around and it'll do it for you automatically, and that'll make it a lot easier and more accessible
I will freely admit that I have no idea how easy or difficult game development is, as I'm not a game developer. Perhaps it would be useful for you to go ahead and mod in the easy mode for them, considering your confidence regarding the ease of adding the feature.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
In general I agree but this is a different era, and I'm confident that MS wants to reach as broad an audience as possible and will have a multitude of options to make this game as easy/simplistic to as realistic/simulation to accommodate anybody interested.
Yeah, I don't know. I don't think making it feel arcadey is going to convince a broad audience of folks that they really want to simulate landing a 737 at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Its just so niche, and I don't see the real appeal to anyone for a watered down version.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't know. I don't think making it feel arcadey is going to convince a broad audience of folks that they really want to simulate landing a 737 at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Its just so niche, and I don't see the real appeal to anyone for a watered down version.
You're fooling yourself if you think a broad amount of people won't want to try a photo realistic flying game around earth where you can visit real locations, landmarks, and beautiful areas and vistas. It can be a very relaxing experience for some people and a learning experience for others.

Last edited:

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Do we know what licenses MS has at this point? They obviously have the Boeing license since they have the 747-8 in the game, but what about the piston aircraft?

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
You're fooling yourself if you think a broad amount of people won't want to try a photo realistic flying game around earth where you can visit real locations, landmarks, and beautiful areas and vistas. It can be a very relaxing experience for some people and a learning experience for others.
You know what, I hope you're right, because I love the investment in this kind of tech and experience from Microsoft, and I hope its successful. If it does great maybe they will bring back the combat flight simulator series, next.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I hope you're right, because I love the investment in this kind of tech and experience from Microsoft, and I hope its successful. If it does great maybe they will bring back the combat flight simulator series, next.
Not that it will necessarily correlate to player engagement, but it was by far the most viewed trailer at X019.

Last edited:

oipic

Oct 25, 2017

Quoting the FS team from back in June:

"Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind."

Accessible doesn't necessarily mean 'watered down' - if they can add some modular training wheels of sorts to ease the learning of its intricacies, then it can only help to grow the player base and franchise. Catering solely to the already hard-core sim crowd would be a lost opportunity - why limit the scope if the resources and desire are available to cater for a broader market?

The potential from an educational point of view, if nothing else, is exciting - who wouldn't want their kids checking out the beauty and diversity of our planet from the cockpit, while hopefully catching the flight sim bug at the same time? This needn't detract from the full sim experience, so everyone wins, which is surely a good thing.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind."

Accessible doesn't necessarily mean 'watered down' - if they can add some modular training wheels of sorts to ease the learning of its intricacies, then it can only help to grow the player base and franchise. Catering solely to the already hard-core sim crowd would be a lost opportunity - why limit the scope if the resources and desire are available to cater for a broader market?

The potential from an educational point of view, if nothing else, is exciting - who wouldn't want their kids checking out the beauty and diversity of our planet from the cockpit, while hopefully catching the flight sim bug at the same time? This needn't detract from the full sim experience, so everyone wins, which is surely a good thing.
Not to mention this is being funded and published by Microsoft, a trillion dollar company that is big on accessibility.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019

Microsoft does have a good example of what a scale-able sim looks like in house. I'm not sure any game series has done it better than Forza over the past few years.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Wait, is the 32GB requirement 100%? Should I give up on all hope of getting on this?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
After playing Ace Combat 7 I'd love to see MS port the game engine and flight physics into a jet fighter game of their own.